Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 08:43 AM
BergyDGD
Brock Superstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
You're right. It's not healthy. I feel the same way for 5 seconds then I realize they're all just playing games and posturing. When they get to D Day they'll magically have a deal and there's nothing we can do about it till then.

Go out today and do some Christmas shopping. Or something. Stay off twitter. Take care of yourself.
Thanks, ya it's a combination of being a broke unemployed college grad who can't find work while student loans pile up and the heartbreak of feeling that they were so close. Hockey, more specifically the Bruins were always a good outlet to keep myself entertained. The week has not been kind on the sports front since last Saturday, I'm a Georgia Bulldogs fan who had to see that gut wrentching loss to Bama, my high school football team Brockton got trounced in the Super Bowl. Nothing going right in my sports world except the Pats .

Old
12-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Kaoz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
It'd be a great protest if, on every team's opening night before the first puck is dropped, the all the "superfans" littered the ice with dollar bills. If the players and the league were willing to delay hockey for months, fans should certainly be able to for a few more minutes to have their voices heard. . .
Pretty good idea, someone give me a paypal account and I'll contribute $20 for someone to chuck for me.

That said, ever try throwing a $1 bill? You'll all have to be right up against the glass and even then you might get the bills 5 feet from the boards at best. Throw pennies, it'd send a better message and you get a lot more distance. $20... 20 $1 dollar bills that won't likely hit the ice or 2000 pennies that will Plus, pennies are a ***** to pick up off the ice.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
It'd be a great protest if, on every team's opening night before the first puck is dropped, the all the "superfans" littered the ice with dollar bills. If the players and the league were willing to delay hockey for months, fans should certainly be able to for a few more minutes to have their voices heard. . .
Followed by people getting up and leaving the buildings at puck drop and making them play in an empty building

Old
12-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Naw...the real protest that would send a message if that every NHL game had no one attend. Make them play in front of an empty building...no revenue for owners and the players get a message of what is ultimately at stake.

This is a complete cluster f. The NHL, god love them, always has a way of screwing up very basic stuff to their own detriment.

If anyone is still out there thinking that Fehr isnt the biggest obstacle then they are nuts. 80% of the NHLPA he is hurting right now.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Naw...the real protest that would send a message if that every NHL game had no one attend. Make them play in front of an empty building...no revenue for owners and the players get a message of what is ultimately at stake.

This is a complete cluster f. The NHL, god love them, always has a way of screwing up very basic stuff to their own detriment.

If anyone is still out there thinking that Fehr isnt the biggest obstacle then they are nuts. 80% of the NHLPA he is hurting right now.
Couldn't agree more, best thing is to let the tickets go. I'm in no position since I don't live in Boston and own season tickets but if I did I would drop them. I usually go to the 3 games here in Montreal, make a trip or 2 to Ottawa and even Boston every year or 2. I'm done for a long time no more purchasing tickets and not even getting centre ice back when they resume

Old
12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Just sad that such a great growing league had to be undermined

Old
12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
A protest by fans would be awesome. But fact is although a minority in the world of sport we are the most addicted. That is the ace of diamonds both sides know and can count on. We are hockey crackheads and we will come when called.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:51 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
A protest by fans would be awesome. But fact is although a minority in the world of sport we are the most addicted. That is the ace of diamonds both sides know and can count on. We are hockey crackheads and we will come when called.
Exactly. They know we're not going anywhere. They'll lose the fringe fans but it won't hurt them one bit. For reasons that I haven't quite figured out yet, hockey is the one sport that gets singled out in terms of what fans like. I don't know if I explained that correctly...

For example, I am strictly a hockey fan. I don't dislike other sports but I also don't watch them or shell out money to attend their events. I'd say hockey by far has the most fans that fit the same billing as I do. Thus, when hockey returns, they know it's the only sport I care to watch, so I have no choice but to come back 100% if I want my fix.

Hockey crackhead sounds fair

Old
12-08-2012, 10:02 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'm in the minority but I still need to see the body with the toe tagged.

NOT TO BE LOST DEPT.
Donald Fehr will soon find himself under seige from AGENTS THAT DON'T GET PAID IF PLAYERS DON'T and players chirping (especially the 100+ who know they may never play another NHL game- last time it was in excess of 150)

the agents are going to, not whisper, but scream into their players heads they need to take this best offer- because if the season is gone the next offer will not even be close to this

set the drop dead date and lets see what happens (they miss it, it is lost present income, lost future income.....lost, lost, lost)

its not going to get better

50/50, 5 year limit (7 if your guy), acceptable make whole, 10 year peace....please....

grow the game and 50% of 4 Billion (the way they WERE going) feeds a family

COOLER HEADS WILL PREVAIL, THERE WILL BE NHL HOCKEY WITHIN A MONTH

Last edited by DKH: 12-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Greyhounds

Should be obvious, I think, that if the season is lost, there won't be a Make Whole. So the pressure is now on the PA. Furthermore, if the season is canned, I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL's next offer is 52-48% in their favor.

It's sad to see this situation. If the PA had any sense, they would have bargained in good faith. This offer, or similar, could have been had within a week or 2 of the NHL's original starting offer. Instead they've lost $500 million in salary, and still haven't signed.

Funny that a number of articles try to place blame on both sides. I don't see it that way at all. There is only one side to blame. It isn't the NHL. It isn't the players. It's Donald Fehr.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
THERE WILL BE NHL HOCKEY WITHIN A MONTH
If I don't see Rene' in the stands of The Garden before Christmas the sport can go ... do things alone.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Gator Mike

How about we organize a league-wide dump of monopoly either on the ice or on the player runways leading to the bench?

Subtle, effective message that would likely draw attention and shame both the players and the owners.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
Should be obvious, I think, that if the season is lost, there won't be a Make Whole. So the pressure is now on the PA. Furthermore, if the season is canned, I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL's next offer is 52-48% in their favor.

It's sad to see this situation. If the PA had any sense, they would have bargained in good faith. This offer, or similar, could have been had within a week or 2 of the NHL's original starting offer. Instead they've lost $500 million in salary, and still haven't signed.

Funny that a number of articles try to place blame on both sides. I don't see it that way at all. There is only one side to blame. It isn't the NHL. It isn't the players. It's Donald Fehr.
I don't get that at all. Fehr works for the players, just as an agent works for a client. He doesn't have Jedi mind-control powers over them.

The owners made a ludicrous proposal to open negotiations, have moved a bit, and call it "fair." I don't get how anyone can be taken in by that because Bettman throws a tantrum to show he "cares."

If you want to say that the players should agree because the owners have all the power and the players are going to get screwed no matter what, that's fine. But pinning all the blame on Fehr is incorrect. He is doing what he has been hired to do.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I don't get that at all. Fehr works for the players, just as an agent works for a client. He doesn't have Jedi mind-control powers over them.

The owners made a ludicrous proposal to open negotiations, have moved a bit, and call it "fair." I don't get how anyone can be taken in by that because Bettman throws a tantrum to show he "cares."

If you want to say that the players should agree because the owners have all the power and the players are going to get screwed no matter what, that's fine. But pinning all the blame on Fehr is incorrect. He is doing what he has been hired to do.
Suckers can always be taken advantage of. Fehr has done just that with the players. His negotiating (if you can call it that) is about Fehr, not about the players. This is about manipulation.

The owners established parameters with the opening proposal. No owner and no player would have seriously thought that contract would get signed.

Players getting screwed? Excuse me? Do you understand the concept of a million dollars? Do you make a million dollars? I don't. I only wish I were being screwed that way, being offered a 7-figure income. How are they going to recover the money they lost from the last 3 months? I'd like to hear your explanation. Please. Please explain this. These aren't technically skilled individuals. They are athletically skilled. Those skills don't last forever. There is a short window to take advantage of this.

The players are getting bent over all right. By the PA, that simply doesn't know what it's doing.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:04 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

I don't believe that Fehr and the players are victims here. All the reports point to the players ready to sign and Fehr thinking they could get more.

Plus...its not like the players first offer wasn't crazy either.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
You got that right.

Spent last night flipping the channel between London - Niagara & Belleville - Kitchener in order to get a glimpse of Bruins to come.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

I don't get how they can fight over such things as contract length.

Hell, I'd do everything if I could make several million dollars in one year by pursuing my hobby/my passion.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post

Hell, I'd do everything if I could make several million dollars in one year by pursuing my hobby/my passion.
Maybe that's the problem. To guys like JJ and Bettman, making millions of dollars by fighting about contract lengths is their hobby/passion.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
They are really going let this end because of length of CBA (owners 10 vs NHLPA 6); or length of contract cap (owners 5, NHLPA not sure), and escrow limits on transition to new deal....

really

The 50/50 is fait accompli; the Make Whole was apparently an acceptable 300 (up from 200 but below 393); so it comes down to length of two things that to me seem pretty logical that can be worked out; the escrow part should not be the deal breaker

all you posters here, would you die on the vine for those 3 points

this is not business this is personal

oh, and Sydney Crosby should be ashamed of himself- talk about self interest with his 12 year deal; of course he has to bow to the leadership of the players association....what a joke Syd, go play in Europe

Old
12-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Bruin4Life

Just do it simple guys.

If you agree with owners:

Wear your Jersey And use put masking tape over the name and write "Greed" with Permenant marker on the tape.

If you agree with Players:

Masking Tape over front logo and with Permenant marker write a Money sign for logo "$"

If you disagree with both:

Mix of both

Or just change 5 dollars into pennys and chuck pennies on the ice

Old
12-08-2012, 11:55 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Maybe that's the problem. To guys like JJ and Bettman, making millions of dollars by fighting about contract lengths is their hobby/passion.
Explain how no boston bruins(a profitable NHL franchise) and no concessions sales at hockey games(delaware north) makes millions for Jeremy Jacobs.

I am all ears.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
Suckers can always be taken advantage of. Fehr has done just that with the players. His negotiating (if you can call it that) is about Fehr, not about the players. This is about manipulation.

The owners established parameters with the opening proposal. No owner and no player would have seriously thought that contract would get signed.

Players getting screwed? Excuse me? Do you understand the concept of a million dollars? Do you make a million dollars? I don't. I only wish I were being screwed that way, being offered a 7-figure income. How are they going to recover the money they lost from the last 3 months? I'd like to hear your explanation. Please. Please explain this. These aren't technically skilled individuals. They are athletically skilled. Those skills don't last forever. There is a short window to take advantage of this.

The players are getting bent over all right. By the PA, that simply doesn't know what it's doing.
The PA IS the players.

They have signed contracts that should be honored. If you disagree with that, we'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I love how the players can never do anything wrong in your eyes.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
I love how the players can never do anything wrong in your eyes.
I don't get this. Fehr works for the players. Whether I think they're right, wrong or indifferent is irrelevant. He is their employee.

And it is also a fact that the owners made a ridiculous offer to start (does anyone dispute that?), have since moved off it, and call it progress. Again, does anyone dispute that?

A lot of people have "done wrong" in this saga, on both sides. Pointing out that Bettman and the owners aren't paragons here isn't saying the opposition can do no wrong.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post

Why are the owners fighting over contract length? Why do they have to be protected from themselves?

Closed Thread