2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 12:25 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I don't get that at all. Fehr works for the players, just as an agent works for a client. He doesn't have Jedi mind-control powers over them.

The owners made a ludicrous proposal to open negotiations, have moved a bit, and call it "fair." I don't get how anyone can be taken in by that because Bettman throws a tantrum to show he "cares."

If you want to say that the players should agree because the owners have all the power and the players are going to get screwed no matter what, that's fine. But pinning all the blame on Fehr is incorrect. He is doing what he has been hired to do.
And if the players didn't listen to their "leader" that ridiculous proposal would have been made in JANUARY when negotiations should have taken place. Pretty sure this crap could have been knocked out with 7 or 8 months at the table, no?

The players are hilarious...the last CBA was so "horrible" for them, they had ZERO PROBLEM wanting to extend it as is...

Players really need to wake up because they are never going to recoup these losses that are mounting uo. Most working people have to pay for their own benefits, retirement and meals.. They make an incredible salary doing something most people don't give a **** about...That's hard to do in this world.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Why are the owners fighting over contract length? Why do they have to be protected from themselves?
Why do companies in other industries go out of business? Because sometimes idiots run them. Did you happen to catch some of the deals signed in the summer?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Mione134
Queen in the North

vCash: 500
Am I the only one who wants Bettman to "win" in this situation? Just because I hate seeing the whiny outspoken players on twitter win?

I don't know. But some of these guys are claiming life is SO hard for them, and I can't root for them at this point. I can't muster it up anymore.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:01 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Am I the only one who wants Bettman to "win" in this situation? Just because I hate seeing the whiny outspoken players on twitter win?

I don't know. But some of these guys are claiming life is SO hard for them, and I can't root for them at this point. I can't muster it up anymore.
That is one thing that has pushed me away from them. Guys like Scottie Upshall and "biznasty" have zero concept of reality. Zero.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Fading Away

vCash: 302
Quote:

I have been Pro-Owner but until the twitter remarks wasn't really anti-player on a personel level

But I really no longer respect Toews or Bolland or Monty for some of the absurd junk they have spewed (Or in Bolland's case his retweet of support for death of Bettman)

Honestly gonna be hard to cheer for them when hockey comes back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
That is one thing that has pushed me away from them. Guys like Scottie Upshall and "biznasty" have zero concept of reality. Zero.
Prust making fun of a fan who makes 40K today was pretty sickening

Old
12-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Fading Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm in the minority but I still need to see the body with the toe tagged.

NOT TO BE LOST DEPT.
Donald Fehr will soon find himself under seige from AGENTS THAT DON'T GET PAID IF PLAYERS DON'T and players chirping (especially the 100+ who know they may never play another NHL game- last time it was in excess of 150)

the agents are going to, not whisper, but scream into their players heads they need to take this best offer- because if the season is gone the next offer will not even be close to this

set the drop dead date and lets see what happens (they miss it, it is lost present income, lost future income.....lost, lost, lost)

its not going to get better

50/50, 5 year limit (7 if your guy), acceptable make whole, 10 year peace....please....

grow the game and 50% of 4 Billion (the way they WERE going) feeds a family

COOLER HEADS WILL PREVAIL, THERE WILL BE NHL HOCKEY WITHIN A MONTH
Dont see that

Owners wanted to get deal done so they could get 60 game schedule in ,, Unable to get that in they are now losing another large chunk of sponsership money/etc

To me the NHL endgame was December and the NHLPA blew that apart ,, A 48 game season imo is not appealing to NHL after the additional losses from loss of further sponsership money

Old
12-08-2012, 01:14 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Prust making fun of a fan who makes 40K today was pretty sickening
Yep, ****ing disgraceful...that's the mentality of a good chunk of these guys unfortunately.

"I make 6 figures a year to play a game.. oh and I golf too from April to September....This is the type of life slaves or cattle and subjected to!"

Zero grasp on reality at all. Zero.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Dont see that

Owners wanted to get deal done so they could get 60 game schedule in ,, Unable to get that in they are now losing another large chunk of sponsership money/etc

To me the NHL endgame was December and the NHLPA blew that apart ,, A 48 game season imo is not appealing to NHL after the additional losses from loss of further sponsership money
this from todays Boston Globe

Quote:
All games have been canceled through Dec. 14, which is only a week away, so more games will surely be wiped off the schedule soon. Commissioner Gary Bettman said Thursday he won’t allow a season to be played that contains fewer than 48 games per team — the length of the season that was played after a lockout ended in January 1995.

they are not going to blow up their world over length of CBA and Cap contracts limited to 5 years; or escrow constraints- no way

all the heavy lifting is done- this is just 'taking my ball and going home crap'

everyone is mad right now but just wait another week or two and they'll be contact from the NHLPA to the owners without any of us knowing and the deal consumated

Old
12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
JAD

As far as a league wide boycott and such – throwing things on the ice won’t do anything because you have to be at the game to do that; which means you already paid for the ticket.

The owners won’t care as long as you are at the games and the players will likely say the fans have a right to be displeased for how difficult it was to get a deal done. They won’t care - they are getting paid. You have to hit them were it hurts their pride and respect and ultimately their wallet.

But if you have to pay for a ticket to protest - It would be better if whoever attended the first game of the year – if everyone just sat there in utter silence then within five minutes of the opening faceoff everyone quietly got up and walked out. To further the impact on the owners and players – fans should not attend another game until the same number of games that were cut from the schedule had been played essentially causing the league / players to have empty barns and coffers.

Of course doing so could cause many teams to go bankrupt. But hey, contraction might not be a bad thing. But nobody wants it to be their team to go.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:

I have to agree. Maybe while growing up they knew about real life but apparently they've forgotten.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Why do companies in other industries go out of business? Because sometimes idiots run them. Did you happen to catch some of the deals signed in the summer?
Sure. Was somebody holding a gun to the owners' heads to force them to sign?

So to get this straight, it's the players' responsibilty to keep the owners from being idiots?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:

So to get this straight, it's the players' responsibilty to keep the owners from being idiots?
Yeah that's what I said. Good Lord, please clear your lovey dovey player eyes and take a deep breath.. :-)

The OWNERS want contract limits to keep the handful of idiot OWNERS from doing stupid things like 10+ year deals.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:32 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5458657/

Said again.

I am the "Superfan" in question.

God bless Ryan Miller.

Peace. Out,

GH.
Professor Richelieu is a smart man. Hopefully the NHL & NHLPA [I hold them both responsible for this mess] will take a few minutes to read this article. Not that I am holding my breath.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
The PA IS the players.

They have signed contracts that should be honored. If you disagree with that, we'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess.
That is fundamentally incorrect. The contracts are valid subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement. The CBA legally supersedes the contract. The CBA is superseded by federal law.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Explain how no boston bruins(a profitable NHL franchise) and no concessions sales at hockey games(delaware north) makes millions for Jeremy Jacobs.

I am all ears.
10 year CBA that includes 7% greater share of revenues on a 3billion dollar/year industry will more than make up for 20ish lost bruins games at the garden. JJ isn't losing any sleep over this.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm in the minority but I still need to see the body with the toe tagged.

NOT TO BE LOST DEPT.
Donald Fehr will soon find himself under seige from AGENTS THAT DON'T GET PAID IF PLAYERS DON'T and players chirping (especially the 100+ who know they may never play another NHL game- last time it was in excess of 150)

the agents are going to, not whisper, but scream into their players heads they need to take this best offer- because if the season is gone the next offer will not even be close to this

set the drop dead date and lets see what happens (they miss it, it is lost present income, lost future income.....lost, lost, lost)

its not going to get better

50/50, 5 year limit (7 if your guy), acceptable make whole, 10 year peace....please....

grow the game and 50% of 4 Billion (the way they WERE going) feeds a family

COOLER HEADS WILL PREVAIL, THERE WILL BE NHL HOCKEY WITHIN A MONTH
That is a very interesting point about the agents DKH. They could very well be the difference maker.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

No the owners want to keep the other owners from being idiots.

And really...owners want to keep other GM's from being idiots.

Not all owners are going out and signing these monster 14 year front loaded deal. Just the irrational, short term thinking ones.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
10 year CBA that includes 7% greater share of revenues on a 3billion dollar/year industry will more than make up for 20ish lost bruins games at the garden..
So the owners are fighting to get a better deal for themselves? and therefore create a much more sustainable and financially healthy league?

SHAME ON THEM!!!!

Old
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
No the owners want to keep the other owners from being idiots.

And really...owners want to keep other GM's from being idiots.

Not all owners are going out and signing these monster 14 year front loaded deal. Just the irrational, short term thinking ones.
Wouldn't it be nice if the owners were as good at managing their teams as their players are at playing hockey? One group is the best in the world at what they do, the other is a clown show.

Come to think of it, if the owners are looking for language in the CBA to protect them from each other (5 year contract limits and no tail diving deals) why don't the players follow suit and push for Guys like Ott and Cooke to be exiled from the league- maybe have a league wide player vote every season where one player gets voted off the island.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
A protest by fans would be awesome. But fact is although a minority in the world of sport we are the most addicted. That is the ace of diamonds both sides know and can count on. We are hockey crackheads and we will come when called.
I am incredibly passionate about hockey, especially the Bruins. But I do have the self respect not to support anyone who abuses my loyalty. And make no mistake the NHL & NHLPA are doing just that.

* Message to the NHL & NHLPA*

No merchandise or ticket purchases for me until further notice. Not even if/when this mess is finally resolved.

You **** with my loyalty and I'll **** you over so hard you'll wish you were dead.

Yeah I have serious issues with disrespect, disloyalty, deceit and dishonesty.

Last edited by BMC: 12-08-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added a fourth D word :)
Old
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:

I can see why you'd feel that way. But remember that the 20 or whatever it is vocal guy on Twitter making those remarks do not necessarily accurately represent all players. It is often noted that hockey players are the "best guys" in pro sports. Don't let a few meatheads ruins it for you. There are lots of good guys on the players sides and a lot of them would probably say things you would like better if you pinned them down 1 on 1.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Spooner st

Quote:

Not idiots... fans, lucky players. Imagine how you would react if the owners would only be business men?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the owners were as good at managing their teams as their players are at playing hockey? One group is the best in the world at what they do, the other is a clown show.
Yeesh, stop with the lovey dovey player eyes!

Old
12-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Not idiots... fans, lucky players. Imagine how you would react if the owners would only be business men?
Say what?

When have NHL owners ever been anything but businessmen?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Fading Away

Quote:

In the Preds case ,, Sorta

The Flyers BS front loaded longterm deal to Weber had to be matched because of how important Weber is to city/franchise/future

That is type of BS NHL rightfully would do away with by limiting contracts.. The Flyers tried to screw the small market Preds bigtime (Look at the bonus $$$ upfront to Weber)

That wasn't right and was a major force behind smaller/medium market teams wanting protection

Closed Thread