Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 2598
The Bad News (And everyone here most likely senses it): If/When the NHL comes back, UFAs will likely not come play for Boston because of Jacobs.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
Just FYI, seems that Chára is also pretty frustrated with Jacobs and co.

http://www.nhl.cz/CZ/30210/z_planu_b...k_i_chara.html

At the end of this article, there's Chára's quote regarding the lockout. He says: "It's not pleasant when one day they tell you how much you earn and one or two years later they want to take part of it back. I think it's not fair." According to the author, later Chára added that if there was any cut in current salaries, he would seriously consider coming back to the NHL.
Lost in translation a bit. Not worried that he'll jump ship and I'm certain that Chara would never talk poorly about anyone in the Bruins in the media. Non story. Non issue.

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-08-2012, 04:18 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
In the Preds case ,, Sorta

The Flyers BS front loaded longterm deal to Weber had to be matched because of how important Weber is to city/franchise/future

That is type of BS NHL rightfully would do away with by limiting contracts.. The Flyers tried to screw the small market Preds bigtime (Look at the bonus $$$ upfront to Weber)

That wasn't right and was a major force behind smaller/medium market teams wanting protection
I agree. The Preds fans do a pretty nice job of filling their arena. The ownership has been responsbile although they did have their one year with Forsberg and co of trying to win via free agency. Matching the offer sheet was the correct move after Suter stabbed them in the back and that organization deserves credit for it. (I think they are morons for flushing that season down the toilet suspending the russians 2 games though since I do think they'd have beat LA.)

When fans lump them in with Phoenix its moronic. The Preds do need some protection from the bigger teams they should have lost both Suter and Weber.

Of course half of HF thinks preds fans should act like they live in Toronto and buy 200 dollar tickets regardless if the team is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Jesus I can't even imagine the hypocrisy from the pro-owner/pro-business/anti-union/anti-player group if Chara makes a business decision to not return to the NHL because he doesn't like the new deal.
If Chara did it it would cripple the Bruins but seeing Jacobs get totally screwed out of his best player would be a great feeling. Almost worth losing the best player in the NHL just to spite that creep. And I'd probably return my tickets and leave with Z.

Furthermore if Chara was willing to make that kind of a statement there are a dozen or more European NHLers who likely think the same thing and willingly make less money back home out of principal.

Love to see someone like Datsyuk do it too on top of obvious guys like Kovi and Ovi.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:44 PM
LuckyLuke87

Just to make things clear as someone pointed to bad translation - Chára didn't say he'll stay in Europe for sure. What he's saying is that if there will be some kind of salary rollback, he'll seriously consider whether to come back to the NHL or stay in the Europe. He said he doesn't like how owners are acting towards the players, but he didn't mention any particular name. I'm not making any big conclusions out of it, just letting you guys know, because I don't think you read Czech hockey sites.

As far as I know, Chára is quite happy playing for Lev Prague now and for player of his caliber, there would definitely be the same amount of $$$ coming from rich KHL teams (obviously not Prague) as he's making in the NHL. KHL can offer top dollars for it's top players, look now further then Ryan O'Reilly who's just recently signed two-year deal with Magnitogorsk (rumoured to be in $4-5M per year region) while having no NHL contract (that means he'll stay there even if the lockout ends). It's KHL's regular and depth players, that earn less than NHLers.

For me, I really don't care what the outcome is. I'd love to have the NHL back, but they really pi**ed me off and I'm happy to see all those players live here in Prague on regular basis for the first time in my life.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
Just FYI, seems that Chára is also pretty frustrated with Jacobs and co.

http://www.nhl.cz/CZ/30210/z_planu_b...k_i_chara.html

At the end of this article, there's Chára's quote regarding the lockout. He says: "It's not pleasant when one day they tell you how much you earn and one or two years later they want to take part of it back. I think it's not fair." According to the author, later Chára added that if there was any cut in current salaries, he would seriously consider coming back to the NHL.
Who is he kidding? He, and just about all the other complainers will be back, before you can blink, once the cba is put into effect.

Similar comments to this have been media'd a few times, so this has to be scripted propaganda. For one thing it doesn't have any basis in reality. The old contract was not a fixed amount, as it was limited by revenues. With the current proposal, it won't be a fixed amount because it will be limited by revenues (albeit a lower percentage of revenue). And yet, they are complaining about this, as if it's a new concept.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
This is all Jacobs fault....hey, the game plan from the start according to many, many, many who have a dog in the fight was exactly what has happened.

1. lockout players for two months and in effect get their 24% rollback

2. Come in December with an offer that does basically 4 things
a) increase owners split to 50/50
b) address the make whole issue by throwing them a bone even though its still about only 75% of what they asked for but not the 50ish they were offering (this is their big concession- money talks)
c) get the term of contracts CAPPED to 5 years and eliminate the Kovlachuk and Weber shananigans
d) and for sponser and stability get the CBA to 10 years (or thereabouts)

Jacobs ma be despicible and opened his yap but the cause. No way- this was the plan and it was certainly not Jeremy Jacobs the mad scientist,

Way to many people are blaming Jacobs for this- this was hatched in league HQ but we live in a blame society.

also, anyone every been poked in the side? doesn't it piss you off

Donald Fehr is doing that to Bettman, and his tirade the other night was epic.

Fehr knows now
1. What the cards are on the table
2. When the drop dead date is

He knows 150+ players who are never going to play again are going to nail him to a cross if he lets this die; and EVERY agent and there are some major freaking powerful ones who aint getting paid are very, very, concered over this.

Fehr has the owners pissed, the agents of every player on pins and needles (and pissed I can vouch for atleast one)- likely before but no later than December 15th (so the players can get home for the holidays) will accept the offer but not before trying to get the CBA to 7 or 8 years, and the Conract Cap extended even if its 6 years.

The owners busted his balls, now he is having his time even if only a week

the one question is will the owners try and teach him a lesson and lower the make whole- certainly if they budge on the CBA term or Contract Cap I guaranteee it

my guess is the CBA is 8 years and everything else stays the same and deal done

Old
12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tales View Post
The Bad News (And everyone here most likely senses it): If/When the NHL comes back, UFAs will likely not come play for Boston because of Jacobs.
UFA's will go with the $$$

Wirtz was POS and had the Eagleson history ,, Didn't stop NHLPA members from taking his money when he actually opened up his wallet

Old
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
This is all Jacobs fault....hey, the game plan from the start according to many, many, many who have a dog in the fight was exactly what has happened.

b) address the make whole issue by throwing them a bone even though its still about only 75% of what they asked for but not the 50ish they were offering (this is their big concession- money talks)
c) get the term of contracts CAPPED to 5 years and eliminate the Kovlachuk and Weber shananigans

Jacobs ma be despicible and opened his yap but the cause. No way- this was the plan and it was certainly not Jeremy Jacobs the mad scientist,

Way to many people are blaming Jacobs for this- this was hatched in league HQ but we live in a blame society.

Fehr knows now

He knows 150+ players who are never going to play again are going to nail him to a cross if he lets this die; and EVERY agent and there are some major freaking powerful ones who aint getting paid are very, very, concered over this.

Fehr has the owners pissed, the agents of every player on pins and needles (and pissed I can vouch for atleast one)- likely before but no later than December 15th (so the players can get home for the holidays) will accept the offer but not before trying to get the CBA to 7 or 8 years, and the Conract Cap extended even if its 6 years.

the one question is will the owners try and teach him a lesson and lower the make whole- certainly if they budge on the CBA term or Contract Cap I guaranteee it

Certainly feels like this was a plan all along, maybe even before the ink was dry on the last cba.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:09 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5458657/

Said again.

I am the "Superfan" in question.

God bless Ryan Miller.

Peace. Out,

GH.
And Ron Hainsey, too,

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...s-bad-cop.html

PS Hadn't heard that Jacobs made his "employees" pay a hefty tax on their Stanley Cup rings. That is the kind of man he is.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Certainly feels like this was a plan all along, maybe even before the ink was dry on the last cba.
I may be proven to be wrong- but this is not all my opinion if you know what I mean

Old
12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Shaun

Quote:
I don't think they care who signs their check as long as they get paid.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
And Ron Hainsey, too,

PS Hadn't heard that Jacobs made his "employees" pay a hefty tax on their Stanley Cup rings. That is the kind of man he is.
The Feds made them pay a hefty tax on those rings. They count as taxable income. If Jacobs gave them the money to pay the tax then that would also be taxed.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:37 PM
DKH

So Don Fehr was hired to make the best deal possible against what the NHLPA perceived to be impending bully tactics

he is doing just that

Bettman has not declared the season over so unfortunately for hockey fans pissed off the NHLPA has time

Fehr has flushed out (finally) the owners best (maybe) offer

yah really think Fehr lets 1.5 Billion this year, probably hundreds of millions next year, and certainly future revenue that will be lost from the muck that will become the NHL (they will lose major US sponsers) over

length of the CBA deal
and
Capped term of contracts

Donald Fehr at worst will take the deal just offered at the 11th hour and likely will get one more tweak beforehand

remember last time was about a Salary Cap- major, major radical undertaking

this is about 40 guys ****ing over franchises with absurb length deals

you think Shawn Thornton is willing to lose 2 Mil so the term of contracts can be 5 or the deal 10 years instead of six or seven

please- Thornton privately must be seething over this- his life can be bleeped because Don Fehr wants an open ended term on contracts

Old
12-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
You'd rather he gave them $100 rings so they'd be exempt from gift tax?
The sad part about that ring tax claim is that no writer has done a story explaining why this simply isn't true.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:49 PM
JMiller

Quote:
I may be proven to be wrong- but this is not all my opinion if you know what I mean
Sure seems like the only real problem the owners have with the current players offer is Fehr- and their only issue with him is that he's making it uncomfortable for them to get everything they want and to look good doing it. He was right when he said the two sides are right on top of each other- it's just a question of when the owners want to take their win and unlock the doors.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Agreed...killed them last time....Chara and Savard couldn't sign here fast enough...

Old
12-08-2012, 06:02 PM
WBC8

Quote:
And Ron Hainsey, too,

Hoe come nobody gets mad when Alex Trebek doesn't pay the taxes on the Jeopardy champion's winnings?

Old
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I don't think they care who signs their check as long as they get paid.
How many UFA's ran here after the last lockout?? Leetch, Scatchard, Zhamnov.....the following year Chara...Savard... I heard crying into Ben Franklin's makes you feel better...

Old
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Hasn't JJ already paid Chara 37.5 million bucks? Not saying he should take a cut and be happy with it, but if Chara wants to stay away and feel like a victim then it's his choice. I would hate to see it.

On the other hand, people acted like that towards Thomas, so anything is possible.
Why does it have to be him feeling like a victim? Why can't it just be a professional decision?

Old
12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
WBC8

Quote:

Fehr knows now

Yeah I've been in your corner this whole time and wasn't worried until Bettman got his panties into a bunch....Is Bettman and the hardliners enough to be spiteful and let this thing run out?

Old
12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Why does it have to be him feeling like a victim? Why can't it just be a professional decision?
Poor choice of words....

Old
12-08-2012, 06:07 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Poor choice of words....
gotcha.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Shaun

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Just talked to source. VERY high up. Based "occurrence last hour" he is 99.9% sure of 48 game NHL season starting on or around January 12th.

eklol ftw

Closed Thread