HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 07:06 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I agree. I like how some people love to spin a clear victory as some sort of mistake. It was a no brainer pick and we should be ecstatic to have a player of that caliber.
Not a mistake but in order for this pick to be successful the organization needs to be winning some type of hardware that's what the organization has talked about 2014.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:19 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
One is questioning, one is assuming. Question all you want, but don't assume unless you know
Because as they say if you assume you make an ass out of u & me

Old
12-21-2012, 11:43 AM
SpItFiReZ

The chirping about Ho Sang not being a team player etc....

The PP is set up for him to do what he does by the coaches. Does anyone see him get yelled at doing the dipsy doodles? We couldn't even make passes out of our zone at the begining of the year.

He does not get yelled at as (assuming) the coaches and team expect to make him the center of attention and want his playmaking skills to do this.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:10 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
The chirping about Ho Sang not being a team player etc....

The PP is set up for him to do what he does by the coaches. Does anyone see him get yelled at doing the dipsy doodles? We couldn't even make passes out of our zone at the begining of the year.

He does not get yelled at as (assuming) the coaches and team expect to make him the center of attention and want his playmaking skills to do this.
Hosang needs to understand when to give up the puck, thats what one area he needs to develop. Scoring opportunities/chances in the OHL open and close quickly, when its there give up the puck and dont risk a turnover with an extra dangle. I think if does the above 80-95 points should not be an issue. Im getting the feel that Hosang is streaky. Streaky and inconsistent is a very line in hockey. Hard work (back checking, skating hard all the time) never goes in a slump.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Nyax

Something tells me Pat Seiloff will be in the Spits lineup on Thursday. He didn't have a good game on Thursday and is a scratch for today's game, which looks like the lineup the US will use for the tournament.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Hawks3

I know this team has talent way beyond the way they are playing. I would like to see one game where every single player plays from their heart. Skating as hard as they can forward and back with or without the puck. Supporting each other on/off the ice.

You guys rip on Ho-Sang, he will a super star, he has a huge talent but can't do it alone. There are guys that can keep up but they need to get open and be ready. If Josh ever learned what a give and go pass was he would be a scoring machine. Look at McDavid he doesnt stand out like Ho-Sang becuase he is playing with his team, look at his stats. If Josh ever tried to blend in with the rest of his players like McDavid I think Josh would surpass him hands down. I find that when Josh has the puck everyone is watching him cuase he is so good with it including our own players, unlike McDavid who is at times transparent but yet is everywhere.

Guys that need to grow some balls and pick things up Kerby, Marchese, Seiloff, Johnson, Maletta, Bateman, Dekort, Clarke, Lorentz, (McNaughton, Verbeek, Bilcke, with ice time.)

Londons wining streak started after we beat them lets end it on Dec. 27.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:44 AM
KnightSpit

Some Good Points Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
I know this team has talent way beyond the way they are playing. I would like to see one game where every single player plays from their heart. Skating as hard as they can forward and back with or without the puck. Supporting each other on/off the ice.

You guys rip on Ho-Sang, he will a super star, he has a huge talent but can't do it alone. There are guys that can keep up but they need to get open and be ready. If Josh ever learned what a give and go pass was he would be a scoring machine. Look at McDavid he doesnt stand out like Ho-Sang becuase he is playing with his team, look at his stats. If Josh ever tried to blend in with the rest of his players like McDavid I think Josh would surpass him hands down. I find that when Josh has the puck everyone is watching him cuase he is so good with it including our own players, unlike McDavid who is at times transparent but yet is everywhere.

Guys that need to grow some balls and pick things up Kerby, Marchese, Seiloff, Johnson, Maletta, Bateman, Dekort, Clarke, Lorentz, (McNaughton, Verbeek, Bilcke, with ice time.)

Londons wining streak started after we beat them lets end it on Dec. 27.
Hawks3, you make some really good points. I follow Windsor, London and most recently Erie. I was at a game in Erie last weekend when doing some amazing Christmas shopping (NO TAX) Anyhow, McDavid is sometime not to be seen and out of no where he just appears and the kid back checks like crazy and is a good two way player and Erie with 3 wins in a row is going in the right direction. Ho-Sang has some great moves and is a highlight reel player. Not to say they are the same but I say Ho-Sang is Ovehckin (sic) and McDavid is Crosby, not bad for each , but who would you rather build a team around and the upside with McDavid is he will be in the OHL for at least another 4 years !!!! Erie just recently made a few moves to shake things up, bringing in a new coach and trading and calling up a D and so far they have never palyed better this year. Maybe the Spits need to do something along the same lines, but the trade deadline is almost hear.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:49 AM
KnightSpit

You Gotta Watch On The Edge on SportsNet

Hey

If you guys want to see a great show and get a real taste of what these players go through ?, you gotta watch ON THE EDGE, it is a real life TV show on Sports Net, all about following the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL during their Memorial Cup Year. What a *** show, the camera go everywhere, I mean in the dressing room, coaches room, where they tell the palyer they are being traded, or released, losts of raw emotion, tears, laughter and anger, but all in all a real picture of what these kids go through day in day out, with their schools, billets, practice and incredible competion to get to the next level. At that age, you gotta grow up pretty fast.

I think it is on every Thursday night on the Sports Net Network.

Have a great Christmas and hopefully the Canadian Team will win Gold at the World Juniors !!!!

Old
12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
KnightSpit

MapleLeaf

Ho-Sang is a real talent who will be a highlight reel some day. The nquestion is if they can build a team around this guy, like Erie is doing with McDavid. Both palyers are great to watch. Also the kid is a rookie, who has so much potential, just watch what he will do next year.

Have a great Christmas

Old
12-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hey

If you guys want to see a great show and get a real taste of what these players go through ?, you gotta watch ON THE EDGE, it is a real life TV show on Sports Net, all about following the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL during their Memorial Cup Year. What a *** show, the camera go everywhere, I mean in the dressing room, coaches room, where they tell the palyer they are being traded, or released, losts of raw emotion, tears, laughter and anger, but all in all a real picture of what these kids go through day in day out, with their schools, billets, practice and incredible competion to get to the next level. At that age, you gotta grow up pretty fast.

I think it is on every Thursday night on the Sports Net Network.

Have a great Christmas and hopefully the Canadian Team will win Gold at the World Juniors !!!!
I agree it's a good watch, I just wish they'd air a new episode. They just keep airing the first episode over and over again.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:27 AM
aresknights

Saw a new one last night. Interesting show, but I wonder how much of a distraction it is to the kids?

Should be an intersting Thursday night at the Gardens with the Spits coming in looking to end the streak. You know Boug and Rychel want this real bad. And I think theyll have their kids ready to go for this one in spite of some inconsistent play over the first half. They want to stick it to London and Hunters no doubt and I wouldnt have it any other way A win could be a big spark for this Spits team. Cant wait. Its a long layoff when your team is rollin

Enjoy the holidays all!

Old
12-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Saw a new one last night. Interesting show, but I wonder how much of a distraction it is to the kids?

Should be an intersting Thursday night at the Gardens with the Spits coming in looking to end the streak. You know Boug and Rychel want this real bad. And I think theyll have their kids ready to go for this one in spite of some inconsistent play over the first half. They want to stick it to London and Hunters no doubt and I wouldnt have it any other way A win could be a big spark for this Spits team. Cant wait. Its a long layoff when your team is rollin

Enjoy the holidays all!
The only thing thats going to keep London from double digits is Pavelka I mean let's be realistic it's going to be a shalaking, I'm going to say 7-2 Knights and London will get 50+ shots easily.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:40 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
MapleLeaf

Ho-Sang is a real talent who will be a highlight reel some day. The nquestion is if they can build a team around this guy, like Erie is doing with McDavid. Both palyers are great to watch. Also the kid is a rookie, who has so much potential, just watch what he will do next year.

Have a great Christmas
I agree he has incredible talent, Ive never said otherwise. Some poster suggested this earlier, that Hosang is not the type of guy to build a team around. I think he is bang on. Hosang is not a leader, whether people see that or not. The on-ice work ethic is not consistent enough to be a leader. Can that change ? Yes, but I dont think it will. Phil Kessel is not a leader and is a fantastic player, Kessel will never wear a C. Kessel is my favourite Leaf to watch, by far.

Thats no knock on Hosang, its just the way it is right now. Hosang being compared to Ovechkin and Mcdavid to Crosby is spot on. I enjoy watching both players. One big difference between Mcdavid and Hosang is I guarantee u Mcdavid hates losing more than Hosang. Ive seen how the two react when things are adverse and its very clear to me. Mcdavid digs in really hard and wants to change the game, the other has never consistently dug in and grabbed the bull by the horns, even though he appears to have all the talent in the world to do that. Yes it bothered me a tad to see Hosang dis-engage in some of the most important games. From a skill standpoint Ive said this earlier the difference between Hosand and MCdavid is too close to call. It comes down to a mental approach, the desire, the hunger, to hate losing more than u love winning, thats the biggest differences between players at this level.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:07 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
That's rather mature of you.

aresknights is more than welcome to post in here... it's always nice to get an outsiders opinion on things.
Thanks Libbs (and OHLTG) I hope all is well Libbs and hockey out East is keeping you entertained (if your still out East)

Old
12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
The only thing thats going to keep London from double digits is Pavelka I mean let's be realistic it's going to be a shalaking, I'm going to say 7-2 Knights and London will get 50+ shots easily.
I wouldnt write the Spits off yet in this game.
I really think theyll try and use it as a "turn around game" for the year.
I could see them treating it as a PO game.
Theyve had over a week to disect tape. This team needs something to focus on and need to be shown how to prep for a game, implement a system and play hard for 60 min. What better op/ rallying point than to book end the Knights streak.
I know of at least one Spit (London local) whose pumped for the op (via twitter to a friend of his on the Knights)
To me it may shed a lil more light on who the leaders on this team will be going forward. I know theyve had issues on the road this year but if they cant focus, give 100% for 60 min in this game/atosphere, when will they?

If they can keep it close early.... look out Knights. If not, the steak goes on.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Thanks Libbs (and OHLTG) I hope all is well Libbs and hockey out East is keeping you entertained (if your still out East)
Sure am! Watching MacKinnon and Drouin (as well as the 29-3-1-1 Moosehead) rip it up has been a serious treat! Brings me back to the 08-09 Spits season (with the electricity of home games).

Old
12-24-2012, 02:24 PM
RayzorIsDull

I might be in the minority but I don't think there is a huge rivalry between Windsor/London maybe between the fans not liking one another if that's what you meant but on the ice for the past few years games have been relatively tame. I don't mean you need 5-6 fights in a game but from a checking standpoint and physical play. Also since Rychel and Boughner took over the two teams have never really been great at the same time with the exception of 09, maybe 10 but 2 out of 7 years the two teams have been on the same level. Starting to think you can't have London and Windsor both be real good at the same time.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
aresknights

Your right Razor, it has been less than electric on the ice as of late. I think part of it is the makeup of the Knights squad the last couple years. The Knights squads havent been real physical or built to scrap. They just play a patient puck control game.
I still think the ownership groups and the fans love besting the other, whether it be a single reg season game, league standings or a PO series.
Spits have a lil London area connection
Spits last team to beat em
Spits need a turnaround game
Hopefully that adds up to a great game to watch.

Even thou we didnt get over in the 5 OT series, it was awesome to watch (as much as it sucked to lose ) and I hope that Spits/Knights are again on that competitive level soon.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:41 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Sure am! Watching MacKinnon and Drouin (as well as the 29-3-1-1 Moosehead) rip it up has been a serious treat! Brings me back to the 08-09 Spits season (with the electricity of home games).
I thought you were in Moosehead land. Gotta be a treat for sure. With some good fortune I hope the Knights get a chance to face off against that squad. But get the better of your team this year (your Q team that is)

Old
12-25-2012, 05:33 AM
jughead42

screw london. merry christmas

Old
12-26-2012, 01:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Just curious:

Has anyone who claims that London fans are the devil actually MET London fans and had a conversation?
Two of my close friends are London fans those are the only ones I care to associate with. After getting elbowed in the head on purpose numerous times in the 09 playoffs in London I don't really care for London fans. Yes I am well aware not all fans are like that but I just don't care for London fans, that goes for most fans in the OHL so they are not alone.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

In other news Sieloff was not on the USA roster submitted to the IIHF. Not sure if his game just doesn't transfer to big ice but maybe he's not developing as we all thought.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
In other news Sieloff was not on the USA roster submitted to the IIHF. Not sure if his game just doesn't transfer to big ice but maybe he's not developing as we all thought.
Team USA also left a roster spot open and have not sent him and another d-man home
Alot of 18 year olds dont play in this tourney would not make anything of it
Perhaps the wacky euro type officiating is not conducive to what he brings to the table ala Boone Jenner

Old
12-26-2012, 03:24 PM
hockeylegend11

It has been speculated on the Sudbury forum that 1 or 2 deals have been killed because of the opposing players not wanting to report,makes me think that perhaps this was the situation with Spits forward Jordan Maletta
Reviewing what happened prior to the break,if u recall against the Rangers he did not play at all after the mid way part of the game,no apparent injury,he was playing no worse then at 14-15 guys that nite,everybody else was being utilized,someone else on this board posted frantic interactions between family members during the 3rd period of said Rangers game,the next game in Saginaw saw limited action and then in SSM with the Spits missing 4 players including the Clarke and Clark,Maletta was listed as the 10th forward on the lineups re forwards and def pairings were released
It is possible this happened re killing a trade or is the evidence presented too flimsy

Old
12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
It has been speculated on the Sudbury forum that 1 or 2 deals have been killed because of the opposing players not wanting to report,makes me think that perhaps this was the situation with Spits forward Jordan Maletta
Reviewing what happened prior to the break,if u recall against the Rangers he did not play at all after the mid way part of the game,no apparent injury,he was playing no worse then at 14-15 guys that nite,everybody else was being utilized,someone else on this board posted frantic interactions between family members during the 3rd period of said Rangers game,the next game in Saginaw saw limited action and then in SSM with the Spits missing 4 players including the Clarke and Clark,Maletta was listed as the 10th forward on the lineups re forwards and def pairings were released
It is possible this happened re killing a trade or is the evidence presented too flimsy
I wouldn't doubt it. It's not a difficult problem to figure out. Maletta certainly hasn't lived up to his 1st round (better than Nemisz) billing. There are times when he doesn't want to put in the work and other times when he gets a good chance but can't capitalize. One wayt to push a deal forward is to bench him more especially if showcasing doesn't work which is evident in this example. I don't like the idea of relegating him to the bench if he turned down a trade because that reeks of pettiness but management can do what they want. You just hope it doesn't get back to future prospects and unwillingness wanting to come to Windsor if things don't pan out. Management is probably at the end of the rope with a lot of players so it just isn't Maletta. I don't buy the stuff from Boughner saying strides have been made and he can handle the struggles if they are peaking in late March and April because as it stands now they would have a quick exit against London.

Closed Thread