HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit
Ottomatic
I think something big is going to go down in Windsor before January 10, 2013 and at least a 3 or 4 player trade, to shake things up, as to where and who, that is the million dollar question? The only team who you can be sure will do absolutely nothing is the Knights, might as well give them the Memorial Cup today, can't remember in recent memory a team clicking like London is so consistently. Does anyone know what the OHL record for wins in a year is ?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all !!!!

Quote:
Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin say hi!
In no way do the Knights have anything won yet. That Drouin is really fun to watch

Old
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Libbs

Some fans don't want to think outside their own league. Halifax is missing their entire top line (MacKinnon/Drouin and Frk for CZE) and is 6-0. Portland is missing a number of guys and are still unbeaten with their players missing. Yes the Knights are on an impressive run, but it hardly makes them a shoe in for the Memorial Cup.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
aresknights

No gaurantees any of em make it to the Memorial Cup.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
punch1943

OHL trade Deadline May Get Moved...

According to Gene Pereira......

Sources saying OHL could push Jan. 10 trade deadline back some 5 days. Teams would then know for certain if there will be NHL season.

If there is a settlement it certainly would affect how some teams handle the deadline.

also of note.....last year the trade deadline for overage players was one day earlier than the deadline for other players. Not certain but I expect the same situation to prevail this year.

Twitter .....blog from Windsor Star... Duff: Spits should trade Vail, Pavelka http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/12...-vail-pavelka/ via @windsorstar

Old
12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Twitter .....blog from Windsor Star... Duff: Spits should trade Vail, Pavelka http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/12...-vail-pavelka/ via @windsorstar
They should trade a lot more than just those two. Hell, anyone not named Ho-Sang can go as far as I'm concerned. It's crystal clear the core group of this team isn't good enough to compete for a Mem Cup in 2014. Just making the playoffs is an epic struggle for this group.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Some fans don't want to think outside their own league. Halifax is missing their entire top line (MacKinnon/Drouin and Frk for CZE) and is 6-0. Portland is missing a number of guys and are still unbeaten with their players missing. Yes the Knights are on an impressive run, but it hardly makes them a shoe in for the Memorial Cup.
glad to see someone else is thinking the same as myself.London has not won anything yet.Refs deserve an assist today in London's win in Sarnia.Cheap calls against Sarnia and clearly didnt call the penalities against London.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
OHLTG

Sending a message is fine. Trading your key components, while leaving the underachievers in the room, isn't the message I want sent.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Spitsfan67*

I think you at least need to trade away a little bit of both... The underachievers such as Meletta, Bateman, Lorentz, Mcnoughton trade them for as much as you can get and then let's be realistic to get anything significant to start over Vail and Pavelka should go I think together they could bring in a 94 and a 95 player, a 2nd round draft pick and a 3rd or 4th round pick....I think Vail and Pavelka are doing great this year but to reload some of the bigger names on this team will have to go...I really don't think they should even bid for the mem cup next year because this team won't be strong enough and it isn't worth trading even more draft picks away to trying to make this team competitive.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:47 PM
dereksutton9

By no means is this roster without fault but after watching today's game and in particular that 4-on-3 PP, how is the coaching staff not getting more criticism??? Not only was there no movement by the PP, the spacing bascially allowed the Plymouth PK to do nothing to get a crucial kill. In addition, why is Vail at one of the points now? At least Kerby can shoot the puck???

As much as fans are disappointed by the job in shaping the roster, personally, I am infuriated by Boughner repeatedly inferring that the coaching staff is pleased with its performance and really trying to blame the season on players not getting it done.

This season is mostly on the coaching staff. For the praise Boughie received for developing the Cup rosters, he deserves blame for the lack of progress in these players. Plus, as coach and owner, he had say in these players getting to Windsor as well.

The list of coaching issues aside from the obvious specialty unit problems ...
- The persistent disorganization coming out of stoppages in play.
- The consistent poor line changes that occur every game.
- The long shifts that most players take but really don't deserve.
- Forwards back check but never actually mark anyone in their own zone.
- The ease in which opponents can cut across the middle in the offensive zone.
- The ease in which opponents can make seam cross-ice passes on offense.
- Questionable ice time decisions (ex. McNaughton over Bateman earlier in the year).

For having two former defensemen as coaches, it's amazing how bad this team is in their own zone the last two years. It always seems like Spits are running around lost in the defensive zone and that's coaching if the disorganization carries over years.

If Rychel got lucky in drafting and trades during the Cup runs, Boughner rubbed that same rabbit's foot. His NHL dreams are definitely fuzzy if not fading by this performance.

Fans ... We should be worried because if the coaching staff can't look at themselves in the mirror and really question the work they've done, then you know a really bad and expensive trade is going to happen soon. Like in all other sports, you can't expect to positively turnover a roster during the season.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:20 AM
cfaub

Its been a while so first of all a Happy New Year to all.

After what had or had not transpired since the draft I must say I am not overly surprised where this team sits right now.

The moves that have been made from the off season to this point have been questionable the coaching continues along the same path as last season and what is a very similar roster to last season looks to be playing about the same.

Marchese, Johnson, Lorentz, Clarke and maletta from the forwards are players I would consider moving. I would consider keeping Maletta only because he is a 95 and if you could move a few of the others he might get a chance to improve with a bit more icetime.

Ebert, McNaughton and Bateman is who I would consider moving from the D.

All of these players have under achieved and while they may not bring a big return moving them allows for others to develop.

Rychel, Vail, Posa, Seiloff and Pavelka would bring bigger returns.

Pavelka, an import goaltender will bring a limited return.
Posa, a steady yet average OA Dman would bring a limited return.

Rychel, Vail and Seiloff should all be back next season and while they would provide the biggest return they are also the biggest contributors as well as draws for attracting other players.

Khokhlachev would provide the biggest return even though he is an import if he returns.

Move Khokhlachev, Pavelka, Ebert, Marchese, Johnson, McNaughton, Clarke and Lorentz. Between them you should be able to get one fairl hgih end 95, a couple of underperforming 95s and a couple of second/third round picks and a couple of mid round picks.

Bring up Kuchmey to pair up with DeKort, fill in the rest of the roster with the players you pick up in the deals and see if you can get the coaches/management to mesh with the new line up and develop some chemistry between the players.

There is not a whole lot you can do when you have half your line up under achieving and looking like they need a fresh start. Clean house, keep enough of the young kids to fill out the roster and move forward hoping that the kids who end up playing above their heads a bit this year provide a strong enough base to settle into their proper roles next season and you can get a few of the flyer picks you took to report.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Ottomatic

^Easier than flipping half your roster would be bringing in a new coach, but given the head coach is majority owner we know that's not even a real consideration.

And I agree it looks like we're stuck with Boughner and Jones for awhile as the bloom is off the Boughner coaching at the next level rose. And Jones isn't likely to get a HC gig anywhere considering DJ Smith was hired away and was seen as below Jones on our pecking order here. And Bob isn't going to fire his buddy ol' pal Jonesy. Or his Brother-in-law for that matter, but Mattsos is the least of our coaching concerns, other than being nepotism hire.

So we're stuck with our coaches, for better or worse.

We're not going to get any any value for our underachievers - unless we trade them for 19 yr olds or gulp, OA's.

I want to see what Kuchmey can do in the OHL - either with us, or as part of a trade package. I don't know if Pavelka has any trade value given he's an import - but he looks like he's getting frustrated here. I'd trade him and go with DeKort/Kuchmey tandem ideally.

I think we need to trade Maletta and Bateman as secondary parts - Vail or Sieloff might have to be the centerpiece if we wanted a huge return back as part of any shake-up. Otherwise we're trading underachievers for underachievers.

One possibility would be to trade for a couple 19 yr olds from a bad team. Two with OA potential next year. Teams looking at a two year rebuild, might take a shot on a Maletta and/or a Bateman, getting at least 2.5 years of them for at most 1.5 years of their current 19 yr old. I know it's been said Rychel has tried to get Eric Locke back - he'd be perfect in this endeavor. However Saginaw has said they want him back as an OA.

I think this would be my mission - trade Maletta and Bateman for 19 yr olds with likely OA returns next year. Now both have gold packages and no-trade clauses, so they're going to only go to the right situations ie no Petes. I think they'd both be open to landing in Ottawa which is a good situation, just having a really bad year.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
cfaub

The only reason I didn't mention moving Maletta and Bateman is because of their youth.

They aren't doing any better than the others I mentioned but even if you move them next year or in the summer someone is guarenteed two more years plus possible OA years as well from them.

My other thought is that if this team is going to bottom out, which it appears they are then do it with youth instead of the others who only have a season plus possible OA season left.

Being 95s and in their second season also allows for that extra time to still pan out however unlikely that appears to be at the moment.

If they can be part of a deal to get them a better return then by all means move them, I know I would not be disappointed to see them go.

The others will not bring much of a return but in the right situation they may at least be able to contribute in defined roles that are more suitable to their skill level instead of being the ones expected to carry the load with others who have a similar level of talents.

Johnson in a 3rd line/PK role for a team that is looking towards a playoff push this season and higher aspirations next season would be a nice fit. The return would not be high but on an offensively challenged team like Windsor where more is expected the kid is never going to deliver.

Marchese in a secondary scoring role instead of being expected to be a major contributor would also fit well in a similar position.

Ebert as a second pairing/second PP guy with a solid partner to back him up likewise.

None of them on their own expected to carry the load will do well anywhere, they have demonstrated that they are secondarydepth players on a team but that they are not capable of being go to guys on any team.

Rychel needs to realize this as well and expect a return suitable of the skills they have displayed. If he thinks he will recover his investment in them he is wrong and Windsor will continue to flounder. If he can set his expectation accordingly package one or two or in deals with Pavelka or Khokhlachev he can at least get a fair return as part of a package and move on to building towards next season with hopefully a couple of younger kids.

Tough situation with an extremely competitive conference and Windsor on the outside looking in.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
punch1943

The Difficulty of Making the Trade(s) we want to make

I've read a number of the posts made in the last few days including some very good ones last night. Here are a few thoughts from my point of view.

Priorities when it comes to making a deal.....
1. The future,the future,the future.

As someone pointed out in a post we have only 6 cards to play with this year so we need to be very careful and maximize their use.Some of our top players will have to be moved if we hope to become a good team sooner than later. Of the top 6 players on this team 2 or possibly 3 need to be moved, more would be foolish, less and we'd be just spinning our wheels. In return it is a priority that we acquire (2) 2nd round draft picks in 2013 and two top prospects who can play now.
Priority trades....If there are (2) trades that I would consider to be priorities they would be trades involving Koko and Pavelka. Trading Koko would be much easier (which contender would not want him) and the return would be higher. I still believe that he would be pleased to get to a contender and return to the spotlight.
Trading Pavelka would not be as easy because he is a goalie and an import as well. However, rumors abound that clubs are interested in him. The Spits are still last in their division regardless of how well he has played.
I wouldn't expect the Spits to acquire any over-age players or any 93's unless they have to be included as part of a larger deal.
Nothing will surprise me in the next 9 days...I can see past US draft choices being included in deals as well as acquiring another Import pick which might allow us to move up in the 2013 Import draft.
Everything should be on the table....these are desperate times....

Old
01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

Nice to see cfaub and sutton still around. Happy New Years to all.

Have to agree with you Sutton I have been critical of the team but won't say much about Boughner but his act is getting stale right now, I still think he's a good coach but I don't think he knows what to do right now. In 06-07 it was throw the kids out and let them learn. After that Boughner had loads of success. Last year was more along the lines of 06-07 but this year has been entirely new to Boughner and I'm not sure he's handled things right.

I think the biggest issue with these players is when one bad play or mistake is made it snowballs and they can't stop it. Successful teams in any sport when mistakes are made they are able to turn the page quickly and move on to the next play or next quarter or period, this group isn't capable of that.

Lots of good thoughts the past 4-5 posts and I can't disagree with much of being said. Watching the game yesterday it was a low point of the year in my mind. Both teams are playing shorthanded but Plymouth goes with their 16 year old goaltender, Spits trying to get any win possible plays Pavelka. Pavelka wasn't bad but that 2nd goal was a back breaker and can't be allowed. Yesterday that win was there for the taking and the energy wasn't there.

Just some tidbits last night I was at a party and was talking to a guy who was a coach in the OHL at one time and is still connected to the OHL in some capacity. He was a very knowledgeable guy and I asked him about Windsor and as no surprise he said they should be a lot better. When asked about some players though he went on to say Maletta biggest issue is softness and not wanting to put in the work, he didn't want to put in the work in minor midget but got away with it because he was bigger than almost everybody and took advantage of it. Said Bateman is capable of so much more, one of the best pee-wee players in all of Ontario and continued his great player to minor midget but it hasn't translated. He said Marchese has lots of talent, work ethic is a question certainly but he believes there's a coach out there that can get it out him. Clarke is capable of a lot more, has a good shot but doesn't like to use it. He said Ho-Sang is going to be very good but he needs to shoot the puck more, lethal shot but the guy isn't sure why he doesn't use it. Says the Spits need to start playing DeKort, lots of talent and need to get him ready for the future and if they aren't going to play him they need to deal him really at a crossroads with him. Lot's of other interesting things he said as well.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Ottomatic

Bateman's confidence is shot. All the benching early in the season has him over thinking every damn thing on the ice because his next mistake could mean more time in the stands. WR and Boughner expect every undersized offensive defenceman to be Ryan Ellis.

Bateman would have made a better NCAA player. I think part of his issue is he's intimidated by the physical game - not so much the checking and battling in the corners, but the idea of potentially having to drop the gloves terrifies him. He sort of plays softer as not to offend the opposing player too much.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Mitchell Heard sent back to Plymouth. Plymouth has 4 OA's right now, whoever they move would increase the talent level of the Spits.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
izzys

all i can say is WOW

WR an BB a steering this ship right into rock bottom .... they def have the work cut out for them to get the spit back to where they should be

i can see in the off season a fire sale but as for right now they dont have much wiggle room

they have to much smart moves that can impact today and tomorrow

this is really bad

all i can say is good luck

Old
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
izzys

8 days left in the trade deadline

and things r quite 2 quite

Old
01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Libbs

It's quiet because of the trade freeze due to the WJC.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:18 PM
hockeylegend11

The spits had a deal in place prior to the break with an east conf club,but the other team added a player to the trade that the spits did not want to part with
I won't say what team it was or who the player they wanted added to the deal but I will say that the player Windsor was going to deal has a no trade clause

Old
01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The spits had a deal in place prior to the break with an east conf club,but the other team added a player to the trade that the spits did not want to part with
I won't say what team it was or who the player they wanted added to the deal but I will say that the player Windsor was going to deal has a no trade clause
Not sure if it is a rumour or wishful thinking but I heard Sarnia along with Larinov working on a trade to get Khoklachev into Sarnia. Only trade bait if true I think we have is DeAngelo and some picks if we are buyers not sellers. Your guys thoughts

Old
01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Windsor Chief

Obviously one of Sarnia's imports would get included in the deal, BUT a boatload of picks would also help to restock the shelves.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:38 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Chief View Post
Obviously one of Sarnia's imports would get included in the deal, BUT a boatload of picks would also help to restock the shelves.
I was wondering that also,Nemecek on D would be available but would think that Goldobin isnt even an option.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
hockeylegend11

If such a deal were to occur Nemecek probably moved to Windsor,while Bateman would get traded to sarnia as part of this deal because I believe Deangelo has a gold edc package and one has to go.back,thus the Bateman rationale
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I was wondering that also,Nemecek on D would be available but would think that Goldobin isnt even an option.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:12 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
If such a deal were to occur Nemecek probably moved to Windsor,while Bateman would get traded to sarnia as part of this deal because I believe Deangelo has a gold edc package and one has to go.back,thus the Bateman rationale
Bateman AND Koko? If I'm doing that, Goldbin better be coming back. I know we need picks, but we also need some talent.

Closed Thread