HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can We Please Make a Plan?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 05:26 PM
  #1
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Can We Please Make a Plan?

The members of this forum seem pretty unanimous in their disgruntlement towards both the league and the union. I can't recall an instance of a business treating its customer base with such wanton disregard. However, the unfortunate reality is that the fans are likely incapable of mounting any orchestrated, joint effort to seriously affect the league's bottom line.

It is possible to orchestrate a symbolic stand...all that's really missing is an idea. I propose that we formulate a simple idea for a symbolic gesture that could gain traction with very little effort. A first-period-of-the-first-game-"walkout" is something I've seen proposed. I'd love to see something along that vein...something that could conjure terrible news headlines for the NHL and call into question its treatment of its fans.

I contend that this board could produce an idea that would become "the symbol" for which this lockout will be remembered. I think we just need to stir around some ideas in this forum until a consensus is reach on the best idea. As is clear by the 3891724876145872364573 posts in the lockout thread, it's not as though our hockey-related discourse elsewhere is achieving anything more productive.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
  #2
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I can't recall an instance of a business treating its customer base with such wanton disregard.
How about the last labour dispute in any industry with a client base?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
  #3
Machinehead
Moderator
1st pair Boyle
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Land of no Defense
Country: United States
Posts: 46,867
vCash: 50
I already made a plan for when hockey comes back. It's called "watch hockey".

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:55 PM
  #4
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?
 
Four Boilermakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 500
I'm down for anything as long as there are pitchforks and torches involved.

Maybe we can overturn and set fire to some police cruisers. Or loot local businesses.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
  #5
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
How about the last labour dispute in any industry with a client base?
I disagree. To Canadians in particular, NHL hockey is a cultural institution. You would think that the NHL would realize this - it's the Canadians that butter the league's bread. The NHL has reaped the benefits of this for decades...with ever-escalating ticket prices and - for the most part - packed houses each night. Shutting the doors on those fans twice within a decade isn't exactly reciprocating those fans' devotion. Of course, if the NHL realizes record revenues again next year, then I'm wrong and the NHL should keep doing its thing. I just sincerely hope that the NHL is hit like baseball was in the 90s. If that were to happen, you'd see labor peace in hockey the way you see it in baseball.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:08 PM
  #6
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 1456
30-city egging of NHL arenas would be fun.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:16 PM
  #7
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 12257
Here's a plan most will agree to:

Step 1: Get all fired up about the greedy owners and players and how it's a personal attack on you, the fan.

Step 2: Swear off all tickets, games, jerseys and other merch, and sponsors for x period of time.

Step 3: Pout and wait for the NHL to return.

Step 4: Forget all about steps 1 and 2, deny everything, and watch the game with a beer.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:51 PM
  #8
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,564
vCash: 500
I stopped buying NHL merch a while ago (excluding hockey cards but those are used from eBay or COMC or wherever).

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
  #9
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,349
vCash: 500
No, it really isn't.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
  #10
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks
 
Raym11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
ill be watching every game as soon as they start sadly. Probably just going to shake my fist at them every now and then and mutter damn you bettman

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
  #11
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
HFBoards strike irl?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
  #12
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 500
Someone suggested awhile back that everyone stays in the lobby during puck-drop of the first game back, so the season opens on an empty arena. Everyone goes to their seats right away, but they start outside. Not saying I'm a fan (tough to pull off and doesn't actually hurt revenues or anything), but it's an idea.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:35 PM
  #13
Shawnathon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I'm down for anything as long as there are pitchforks and torches involved.

Maybe we can overturn and set fire to some police cruisers. Or loot local businesses.
Vancouver already did that. We need something new.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
  #14
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
At the end of the day, it's the fact that there's not much we can do that makes venting on HF Boards more satisfying.

I think it is more a matter of attrition. When hockey comes back, support your city's team and celebrate the highs and lows with your friends and families, but be sure to spend a little less on merch, buy a beer from your local pub before/after the game instead of at the game, and basically regard the players as the money grubbing mercenaries they are. They're paid to play hockey, not to be worshiped. Cattle.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
  #15
I Am Classless
Registered User
 
I Am Classless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Falkland Islands
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
And the people venting on HFBoards and making flashy YouTube videos about boycotting hockey are going to be the first to come back to it anyway, so what's the point?

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:44 PM
  #16
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 38,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I disagree. To Canadians in particular, NHL hockey is a cultural institution. You would think that the NHL would realize this - it's the Canadians that butter the league's bread. The NHL has reaped the benefits of this for decades...with ever-escalating ticket prices and - for the most part - packed houses each night. Shutting the doors on those fans twice within a decade isn't exactly reciprocating those fans' devotion. Of course, if the NHL realizes record revenues again next year, then I'm wrong and the NHL should keep doing its thing. I just sincerely hope that the NHL is hit like baseball was in the 90s. If that were to happen, you'd see labor peace in hockey the way you see it in baseball.
The solution really is to care about it less and not let it get to some ridiculous level like cultural institution. You got to see hockey for seven years and the business has every right to close up shop for whatever reason they see fit. The fans are devoted, no doubt, but it doesn't mean it's profitable for the majority of the people who shell out the money to operate the business and the players don't agree with their vantage point either so they have to share the blame.

If you want them to feel the effect of this lockout, you stop caring and you stop caring even after it comes back. That's the only solution.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:10 PM
  #17
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The solution really is to care about it less and not let it get to some ridiculous level like cultural institution. You got to see hockey for seven years and the business has every right to close up shop for whatever reason they see fit. The fans are devoted, no doubt, but it doesn't mean it's profitable for the majority of the people who shell out the money to operate the business and the players don't agree with their vantage point either so they have to share the blame.

If you want them to feel the effect of this lockout, you stop caring and you stop caring even after it comes back. That's the only solution.
I agree for the most part. The owners are ultimately entitled to do what it wants and - as you say - the only way their practices are likely to change is if their bottom line is affected.

With that said, allow me a moment on the "institution" bit. Grant me at least this much: the sport of hockey (not the NHL) is a cultural institution in Canada. It is a part of the Canadian DNA. The NHL is the world's preeminent hockey league. To a degree, the sport's integrity rises and falls in stride with the league. As such, the NHL has at least a modicum of responsibility as stewards of the sport. Their actions are making a mockery not just of their league but of the sport itself, and thus, their actions are an affront to the game (and indirectly, to all Canadians). I'm not a socialist, and I absolutely do not expect the league to run a charity, but the NHL gets to reap the monetary benefits of its product being sacrosanct north of the border. Their disregard for this is extremely insulting. I gave them a "free pass" on the last lockout (I assumed that they truly were working out systemic issues in their business model). This lockout is not about systemic problems. This is purely a chest-thumping, cash-grabbing contest. The league might have leveraged all of the power they have in this negotiation by locking out the players, but doing so also entailed slapping their fans in the face for the second time in a decade. The players, in turn, have shown equal disregard for the fans through their actions (and inaction). Eff 'em all.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  #18
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,340
vCash: 1950
I say someone writes some sort of paper called "The Manifesto of the Hockey Fan."

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:28 PM
  #19
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I agree for the most part. The owners are ultimately entitled to do what it wants and - as you say - the only way their practices are likely to change is if their bottom line is affected.

With that said, allow me a moment on the "institution" bit. Grant me at least this much: the sport of hockey (not the NHL) is a cultural institution in Canada. It is a part of the Canadian DNA. The NHL is the world's preeminent hockey league. To a degree, the sport's integrity rises and falls in stride with the league. As such, the NHL has at least a modicum of responsibility as stewards of the sport. Their actions are making a mockery not just of their league but of the sport itself, and thus, their actions are an affront to the game (and indirectly, to all Canadians). I'm not a socialist, and I absolutely do not expect the league to run a charity, but the NHL gets to reap the monetary benefits of its product being sacrosanct north of the border. Their disregard for this is extremely insulting. I gave them a "free pass" on the last lockout (I assumed that they truly were working out systemic issues in their business model). This lockout is not about systemic problems. This is purely a chest-thumping, cash-grabbing contest. The league might have leveraged all of the power they have in this negotiation by locking out the players, but doing so also entailed slapping their fans in the face for the second time in a decade. The players, in turn, have shown equal disregard for the fans through their actions (and inaction). Eff 'em all.
Agreeing with you here, and as a humble Canadian who's had a toe split open from the cold playing hockey in an indoor rink, hockey means a whole hell of a lot more than NHL. If that league wants to shoot itself in the foot, they can fight all they want over money 'cause hockey will live on. **** it I'm heading out to blast pucks its only -15C.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
  #20
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch
 
CommanderShepard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Im against the walk out and stuff because the owners still get our money.

im more in favor of, nobody watches any of the opening night games. literally nobody shows up for the games, nobody flicks on TSN or NHL Network or center ice.

Its 1 game, but itd send a huge message.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
  #21
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,843
vCash: 500
1) never directly give money to the NHL by buying tickets or merchandise
2) never watch any TV networks that give money to the NHL for broadcasting
3) never purchase from any sponsor that gives money to the NHL for advertising

then convince every other NHL fan to do the same thing. Good luck.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:36 PM
  #22
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Vancouver already did that. We need something new.
Too cold and wet out here right now anyways.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:41 PM
  #23
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 37,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg
How about the last labour dispute in any industry with a client base?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I disagree.
Which work stoppage do you think qualifies as the most "wanton disregard" for the public?

1) Shutting down a hockey league for 3 months

2) Shutting down the public transit system in a major city for 1 day

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
  #24
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Which work stoppage do you think qualifies as the most "wanton disregard" for the public?

1) Shutting down a hockey league for 3 months

2) Shutting down the public transit system in a major city for 1 day
See my comments re: hockey in Canada. I try not to get on my Canadian hockey high horse, but in this instance, if you're not Canadian, you might just not understand.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
  #25
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 37,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
See my comments re: hockey in Canada. I try not to get on my Canadian hockey high horse, but in this instance, if you're not Canadian, you might just not understand.
Or, if you're lacking in perspective about life beyond sports, you might not understand.

One or the other.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.