HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Tablet Advice

Old
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

vCash: 500
Tablet Advice

Hey guys!

I have been looking at getting a tablet for a few days now and I am still undecided about what to get. I basically want something that I can type notes on for class, browse the internet, read ebooks and watch tv shows/movies (Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime). A bonus would be the ability to type papers on it as well but it's not necessary. I already have nice laptop and I'm not looking for something to replace, just looking for a device that's better to carry around places and use on the go.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if there is a tablet out there that has the ability to play movies and tv shows from sites like mega video.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:17 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 947
You can't beat the Nexus 7 for the price, nothing is remotely priced as aggressively. Unless it's missing something you really want, I personally think it's insane to go for something else.

Since you don't want to replace your laptop I think a 7" screen is the correct choice.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
How much do you want to spend?

Do you want a tablet that is just a toy as the Nexus or the iPad is?

Or do you want a tablet that you can do actual computing on?

You mention school things. If that's the case, I would go either iPad or the new Windows Pro tablet.

The Windows Pro tablet will be about $1000, but it is a legitimate computer. Runs on a real computer chip and such. It can do anything a Windows desktop/laptop can do because it IS a computer. It's more expensive than the other options, but it has infinitely more capability.

The iPad is the best of the "toy" options. It's not the greatest for notes, but definitely better than the Android tablets in that regard. It's, again, more expensive than the Android tablets, but if you actually plan on using it for notes and school I think it's a much better bet.

If you SOLELY want a toy, I would go the Android route since it's a decent chunk cheaper than the other options out there.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Yeah, you'd probably be looking at the Nexus 7. Pretty cheap, and can do pretty much all you listed (not sure about mega video, though). Especially because it just upgraded to 4.2 OS and the keyboard got a lot better. It's super easy to type fast, and the predictions are really accurate. You can get your apps on it, too.

For me, personally, I wouldn't write an entire paper on a tablet. Essentially, you could, but I'd prefer a laptop. Not sure how fast some can type on a tablet/any touch screen, although I'm sure pretty fast. But my personal taste would be to stick with a laptop. Especially because the available word processing essentials are better on a laptop than a tablet.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Kestrel

I love my Playbook, but short of knowing what BB10 will bring in regards to Netflix, Hulu, etc, I would agree with the Nexus. If typing notes is somewhat important, you could always get a bluetooth keyboard to go with it too.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote