HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Exactly! A team that can't score but has two elite goalies is still stronger than a team that can't score but has only one elite goalie.
And they're both weaker than a team with one elite goalie and a better collection of skaters.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
And they're both weaker than a team with one elite goalie and a better collection of skaters.
I'm all for getting a better collection, but I'm not seeing players who make us better coming back to us in these proposals.

01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

I have an idea, why don't we sign Scott Gomez to a cheap contract after Montreal buys him out? If we want we can trade Luongo to Montreal for a 7th round pick if we're still in the mood to give up our star goalie for crap. Just a thought...

Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Proto

Quote:
I have an idea, why don't we sign Scott Gomez to a cheap contract after Montreal buys him out? If we want we can trade Luongo to Montreal for a 7th round pick if we're still in the mood to give up our star goalie for crap. Just a thought...
Having fun dropping napalm on straw men?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Having fun dropping napalm on straw men?
Just proving a point. If we want a crappy player we can just sign one for free. No need to give away an elite top 5 goalie.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Scurr

If Scott Gomez is bought out and finally gets himself back into shape I would sign him. When he's right he plays 200ft of the ice and can definitely anchor a 2nd PP.

If he still insists on being chubby then he'll still suck.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Just proving a point. If we want a crappy player we can just sign one for free. No need to give away an elite top 5 goalie.
You sure are..

Old
01-03-2013, 02:14 PM
lush
@jasonlush

With the recent proposals containing not 1, but now 2 buyouts I see this as a clear opportunity to take back a terrible contract for Luongo. From what I understand the cap won't go down this season, but next.

To me this makes a Luongo deal much easier. It's borderline as to whether we even buy anybody out on our team, but even if we buy out one player that's still a second buyout remaining. Is there not a team out there that would gladly upgrade in goal and keep Luongo who also wants 3 players bought out? They could aquire Luongo, buy out two players and trade the third to the Canucks (along with picks and prospects of course) and the Canucks could use said player for a cup run assuming there is some kind of fit and then buy out said player in June along with possibly one other player freeing up some cap space to get bargains on the free agent market?

Old
01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Proving a point using someone else's logic isn't really getting your point across.... yet you continue to do it.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
It's funny how on the main boards they say we either buy Lou out or take **** back and then when we disagree they call us delusional

on top if it when we talk about how it's comical at how much they hate our team we get banned for it... Main boards are becoming a joke

Old
01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Remember not to make things personal, everyone. Attack the opinion - not the person.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I really think you need to take a break from this thread. A long, long break.
Well IMO Scott Gomez as a 3rd line center isn't that bad an idea if its dirt cheap and the cap drops to 60M. Give him a camp tryout as I remember someone on the canucks forums posted his advanced stats which were actually pretty good. He can anchor our 2nd pp unit and who knows maybe with less pressure n defensive focus on him he could put up 30-40 points

Old
01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
I don't see how Luongo doesn't get traded to Philly now that two buy out options are available.

They have the assets, the desire for high end goaltending and the ability to buy out their current goalie. It's a match made in heaven!

Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Canucker

I hope if we do manage to get a great deal for Luongo that the people mocking y2k will give him his due for sticking to his guns and admit he was right.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
I don't see how Luongo doesn't get traded to Philly now that two buy out options are available.

They have the assets, the desire for high end goaltending and the ability to buy out their current goalie. It's a match made in heaven!
IF Aquilini were willing to spend $30M, I wonder if a Luongo for Bryzgalov/Couturier trade is possible?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I hope if we do manage to get a great deal for Luongo that the people mocking y2k will give him his due for sticking to his guns and admit he was right.
Appreciate that. While I think we SHOULD get a great deal for Luongo, I'm not sure I have much confidence in Gillis to ride it out. Regardless, we would be settling for a something a lot more than a Bozak, Franson, 2 type package. That's just not going to happen.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Appreciate that. While I think we SHOULD get a great deal for Luongo, I'm not sure I have much confidence in Gillis to ride it out. Regardless, we would be settling for a something a lot more than a Bozak, Franson, 2 type package. That's just not going to happen.
I'm not going to claim to know what the market will bear at the moment, but I certainly hope its better than that. If its not I'd be willing to hold on a while or explore other alternatives.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not going to claim to know what the market will bear at the moment, but I certainly hope its better than that. If its not I'd be willing to hold on a while or explore other alternatives.
Yup. If the best we can get is Bozak and Franson or Kadri and Franson or even Bozak and Kadri, we'd best hold on to our goalie.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post

Because it would cost them $27 million in buyout money as well as good, young assets on a team that has a terrible prospect pool.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I hope Gillis is holding out for similar value. My issue is with dragging this thing out for years. I don't think it's reasonable to start letting guys like Higgins go in free-agency, like Y2K was talking about, so we can have Lu as a backup. Two years after he asked to be dealt.

I don't want the issue to get confused. My issue isn't with the high asking price, it's with the lengths he wants to go to hold onto that value.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I hope Gillis is holding out for similar value. My issue is with dragging this thing out for years. I don't think it's reasonable to start letting guys like Higgins go in free-agency, like Y2K was talking about, so we can have Lu as a backup. Two years after he asked to be dealt.

I don't want the issue to get confused. My issue isn't with the high asking price, it's with the lengths he wants to go to hold onto that value.
Honestly I would likely let Higgins go to free agency regardless if we had Luongo or not. I like Higgins, but he's not good enough to be a regular 2nd liner on this team. I would rather open up the roster spot, save the $2-3M it'd cost to re-sign him, and open up an opportunity for Kassian or Jensen to play on the third line.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Honestly I would likely let Higgins go to free agency regardless if we had Luongo or not. I like Higgins, but he's not good enough to be a regular 2nd liner on this team. I would rather open up the roster spot, save the $2-3M it'd cost to re-sign him, and open up an opportunity for Kassian or Jensen to play on the third line.
I don't know. I'd honestly feel a lot better with Higgins on the team. He's such an ideal third line player, who can move up to the second line if need be, that losing him takes away a lot of option for the Canucks. He's your ideal low-cost every situation player.

Plus, I don't think he'd hold out for a lot of money. He seems to like it here and the opportunity he was given to basically rebuild his career after hitting rock bottom. I think both him and Lapierre would both be happy to take a discount to stay with the team.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I really like Higgins, I think he's the kind of guy you need to win and he'd be another great example for the young guys you mentioned. His work ethic since he got here has been outstanding.

Higgins aside, I think you're being unreasonable in your evaluation of the Lu situation. If Lu is serious about being OK with coming back this season that gives Gillis this season to hold out for some real value. That could be what we need to get a good deal. If he can't make it happen this season he absolutely has to make something happen next offseason. Schneider and Luongo and the rest of the team deserve it. I think we do too.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I really like Higgins, I think he's the kind of guy you need to win and he'd be another great example for the young guys you mentioned. His work ethic since he got here has been outstanding.

Higgins aside, I think you're being unreasonable in your evaluation of the Lu situation. If Lu is serious about being OK with coming back this season that gives Gillis this season to hold out for some real value. That could be what we need to get a good deal. If he can't make it happen this season he absolutely has to make something happen next offseason. Schneider and Luongo and the rest of the team deserve it. I think we do too.
If we keep Luongo this season and he plays a big role in this team having another successful season, then I don't think it's logical to just dump him for whatever you can get next season. As long as we are winning and he contributes to our success then everything is fine.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Canucker

Quote:

I don't know how long we hold on to Luongo, I think thats mostly up to how long Luongo is willing to be strung along in this. I think it's pretty important to get some sort of significant asset in return for him (not just his cap space), if thats not going to happen I would be exploring the market for Schneider too (if Luongo were agreeable to staying). Rather not trade Schneider but my only real interest is getting a solid return for 1 of our 2 goalies.

Of course this all depends on what the new CBA landscape looks like as well.

Closed Thread