HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 09:52 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
No doubt anyone suggesting luongo as a buyout possibility is and idiot.
and that guy fancies himself as a genius on twitter.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
http://theleafsnation.com/2013/1/5/l...-cba-is-signed

More rumors that a Lu to Tor deal is already done.
This is just stupid. Please never post anything from that guy again. Booth, let alone Luongo, aren't being bought out, nor are we sending Luongo to Toronto, with a pick and prospect no less, for a "depth player". We aren't trying to rid ourselves of Luongo, this guy needs to be removed from twitter, I want my 3 minutes back.

Old
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Over/Under on how long it takes for Luongo to be traded if/when the lockout ends in the next few days?

Old
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Over/Under on how long it takes for Luongo to be traded if/when the lockout ends in the next few days?
End of training camp.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Botchford is a tool with no inside source.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Depends on if we have a goalie coming back in the deal. If not then whenever Eddie Lack comes back from his injury.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
ZenMaster*

Colborne + Tyler Biggs + 1st

Old
01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Nope.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 PM
arsmaster

No doubt anyone suggesting luongo as a buyout possibility is and idiot.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Whoever wrote that article is a tool, no chance Luongo gets bought out, I would send him to Florida for a 7th way before I would even consider buying him out and having the leafs collect the leftover's off the dessert tray.

(Honestly I doubt he would sign with TML anyways if he hit the market, he would sign with the Panthers way before the Leafs so the jokes on them )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Change Colbourne to Kadri and I would do it.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
End of training camp.
I'll take the under.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Change Colbourne to Kadri and I would do it.
I was thinking the same thing. I'd prefer Finn to Biggs, but it's not a bad offer.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'd prefer Finn to Biggs, but it's not a bad offer.
Yeah Finn is doing great in the O, almost PPG. (Atleast he was last time i checked)

But we have enough depth in our defensive prospects IMO, and adding Biggs would bring alot of grit and toughness, he is comparable to Brown in his style of game but doesn't have that upside (Obvisously, I don't think he is that good)

Should be a good 2nd/3rd liner, but still would be a nice guy to add since we seem to be going in the direction of getting bigger tougher with our prospects (Kassian, Mallet)

Also I have to say that guy is a complete idiot to think we would trade Luongo as a cap dump to get a depth roster player.

It would be nice to see the guy open his eyes before he writes the article and actually acknowlodge that Lu is a very good goaltender at a good cap hit and even the length isn't a huge issue since the contract goes poof the second he retires, but that is something genius's like this guy conviently forget about whenever they feeling like preaching about how they will get a star goalie for nothing to Leafs nation.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I have a feeling Jake Gardiner will be a Canuck for the 2013-14 season.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
stevecanuck16

In the event of a half-season, I think it's more likely for Luongo to be held onto for a bit. Lack hasn't had the best season and is now injured, so he should probably remain in the AHL.

Also, in a shortened and condensed season, injuries will be more frequent. That means a greater chance of one or more goalies getting injured or even faltering, and that could potentially increase the market for Luongo. Could easily backfire, though.

I could also see a super-condensed training camp/pre-season forcing a team like Toronto, that may see poor goaltending right off the hop, to make a snap decision and pony up.

The truth is, this potential half-season is relatively unique, and combined with the unknown CBA it makes it very difficult to predict what might happen with Lu.

PS: Thought Luongo's tweets today about French Lavoie always scooping English Lavoie were hilarious.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:44 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Is he even healthy?

Thought he was still seeing birdies and stars from his concussion.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I'll throw you a bone here, though I think you've become a bit silly with this Luongo business. I don't think Gardiner is outright impossible to get, just unlikely.

I don't think currently Luongo would get us Gardiner, however there are two somewhat likely things that could occur simultaneously to increase the odds. If Rielly makes it right away, and Gardiner falters a bit, there is certainly a greater chance of getting Gardiner, as they are very similar assets.

However, I still don't think it's very likely. CBA would have to be favourable towards his contract, Rielly would have to impress, Gardiner would have to fail to take a step forward (because if he improves at all as a sophomore you will not be touching him), and Reimer would have to fail.

Individually, all are at least somewhat likely. But to count on all of them will lead to disappointment, I'm afraid.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:
This is just stupid. Please never post anything from that guy again. Booth, let alone Luongo, aren't being bought out, nor are we sending Luongo to Toronto, with a pick and prospect no less, for a "depth player". We aren't trying to rid ourselves of Luongo, this guy needs to be removed from twitter, I want my 3 minutes back.
Easy now, that's bleach cleans bff.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
A little sensitive are we? I follow board rules, not yours. This is a forum to post articles based around Luongo - that's what I did.

The author of this article is not the one with the 'apparent' information, a Sportsnet guy is (Josh Rimer). Charron was just making his own speculation based on the others guys tweet. Clearly, the Canucks are not buying out Luongo. But this isn't the 1st time Booth has been speculated as a potential buy out. Botchford, Ian Mac and John Garrett all mentioned the same option.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Scurr

Quote:
A little sensitive are we? I follow board rules, not yours. This is a forum to post articles based around Luongo - that's what I did.

The author of this article is not the one with the 'apparent' information, a Sportsnet guy is (Josh Rimer). Charron was just making his own speculation based on the others guys tweet. Clearly, the Canucks are not buying out Luongo. But this isn't the 1st time Booth has been speculated as a potential buy out. Botchford, Ian Mac and John Garrett all mentioned the same option.
That's the problem with hockey media, the standards are so low. Like those guys saying something like that gives it merit.

Cam Charron's blog shouldn't be given any more merit than any post in this thread.

Last edited by Scurr: 01-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 11:05 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Hope I can shed some insight from a Leafs perspective ~ Both Gardiner and Biggs would be incredibly hard to pry from TO. Both are Burke picks and he likes them a lot.

With the Schenn trade our D corps is actually looking thin. Trading Jake, whos likely our 2/3 dman, would leave us very thin. Recall that Franson is having something of a contract dispute which gave no indication it was going to be solved before the lockout. Trade Gardiner and our D looks something like

Dion-Gunnarson
Liles-Komisarek
Holzer-????

The intent of getting Lu now is that he gets us to the playoffs. That D-corps isnt getting far. Gardiner was a huge part of it last year and leaves a gaping hole if hes gone.

As for Biggs; We lack size and toughness in our forwards as much or more then you guys do. Biggs already possesses the physical body necessary to play a grinder role in the NHL. His skating has improved leaps and bounds since his draft, and hes blowing away his offensive projections in jr. Hes a "Burke" type player to a "T". Add in his Gold medal winning performance this morning and I feel like hes not going anywhere. Frattin is far more likely to move.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
That's the problem with hockey media, the standards are so low. Like those guys saying something like that gives it merit.

Cam Charron's blog shouldn't be given any more merit than any post in this thread.
I never said it did. I posted a link to a blog.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Cogburn

Quote:

That was not directed at you (well the stupid part, or explaining our most basic position), nor am I saying you can't, as you've pointed out, I have 0 power here, that was a request, a favour if you will. That would be a dry, sarcastic kind of remark, which upon reviewing now...kinda makes me look like a dink. My mistake, like I said, an over the top reaction to a post with, after re-reading, I still give 0 credibility. It doesn't reflect poorly on you, just Rimer. And that article kind of hurts my head.

Botch, Mac and Garrett can mention Kesler as a buy out candidate, that still wouldn't make it true, or likely, or even thinkable. We've had Booth less then a season, he still has some, marginal, trade value...there is 0 reason to buy him out. The only people, in this forum even, have the grand illusion of adding a Perry or a Getzlaf or prior to his signing a contract, a Weber, in free agency, when outside of Burrows and Sedin, he was hands down our best winger. On the other end, we have people on this board that wouldn't want him in a package for Kovalchuk, so even though I respect the three next guys you've mention, I still say it won't happen, even with a 60 million dollar cap.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

I'd say less, some of us on here toss around some good ideas, that guys ideas were down right dumb and illogical when broken down from our POV.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:16 PM
JuniorNelson

If the lockout is settled now and a shortened season is at hand, I hope Gillis sees it as an opportunity and goes all in. With key members of the core sliding into thier decline this is certainly the best chance. I think this will be evident to everyone and the team will respond. There is no tomorrow for this group, as it is, with cap issues looming post-season.

I am imagining Gillis keeps the team together as much as possible. I therefore do not expect any trades. If any additions are made, I suspect Gillis signs some off the radar type player from Europe or something like that.

Gillis must have promised a number of his players they'd chase the Cup. He will be going back on his word if he dismantles the team now. He will be breaking a policy asking Luongo if he objects to a trade. As well, Gillis is not a trade maker. He builds his teams in the off season and does not chase rentals at the deadline.

If Gillis moves Luongo, I think it will be after seeing Schnieder start at least ten games. Also, the other teams will have had a chance to see their own goalies play and some will want to make changes. I really think teams built with top goaltending will want to retain their schemes. Boston and New Jersey are built on the assumption of solid netminding, will they get it? Or, will some other team be caught by surprise when their guy stays in Russia or shows up unfit?

I think Luongo can be pried away for a winger and a pick, so long as they are the right winger and pick.

Closed Thread