Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion II: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
If you want to hold these guys to the crappy standards of the last two years then I agree it will be another long year. The talent level is not as bad as the level they have played to. I expect better out of them.

If Getz has another bad year, Fowler has another 30-40 pt, -30 season, and Sbisa continues being inconsistent, then yeah, the team will suck. If neither Palmieri or Holland can contribute meaningfully and if Bonino proves to be a late (last) season flash in the pan then yes, the team will suck.

Some of you guys are just going too soft on these guys. The talent is there, they are getting paid damn good money to produce, and I want to see results. Making the playoffs should not be a long shot with this team.

Last edited by Eddie Shack: 01-07-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling...it's getting late
Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
If you want to hold these guys to the crappy standards of the last two years then I agree it will be another long year. The talent level is not as bad as the level they have played to. I expect better out of them.

If Getz has another bad year, Fowler has another 30-40 pt, -30 season, and Sbisa continues being inconsistent, then yeah, the team will suck. If neither Palmieri or Holland can contribute meaningfully and if Bonino proves to be a late (last) season flash in the pan then yes, the team will suck.

Some of you guys are just going too soft on these guys. The talent is there, they are getting payed damn good money to produce, and I want to see results. Making the playoffs should not be a long shot with this team.
I agree. It's time for some of these guys to step up, and it needs to start with the captain in my mind. I want to see him get us off to a great start early. Getzlaf better be in shape, because we need him to be dominant if we want to get off to a fast start. If he plays well, it allows other people to fall back into their roles and just do what they're being payed to do.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I agree. It's time for some of these guys to step up, and it needs to start with the captain in my mind. I want to see him get us off to a great start early. Getzlaf better be in shape, because we need him to be dominant if we want to get off to a fast start. If he plays well, it allows other people to fall back into their roles and just do what they're being payed to do.
I agree 1,000%. Captain Getz needs to come out smokin'.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:02 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
If you're expecting this team to make the playoffs, then you can expect to probably be disappointed. I'm not trying to be too negative, but realistically, we still lack the depth scoring to be a consistent team. We're going to be relying on Teemu(42), Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan to score every night again unless KP or Holly seriously breakout (I have my doubts).

Defensively, they're fine, but not spectacular. We still don't have a true #1 guy.

Anything can happen in a shortened season, but I don't expect the Ducks to make the playoffs at all.
Well the last few times the Ducks got into playoffs was because RPG and Teemu did all the scoring. Now I believe that they have a better scoring depth because Holland and Palmieri should be top 6 talents we should expect some goals from Winnik and Cogliano, and from Maroon, Beleskey, DSP or who ever makes the team. Last season was a letdown considering the talent and I believe that they should do better this season.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Unagi

I have been meaning to ask this, as I have not really followed their careers...but how are Peter Holland and Kyle Palmieri developing? 2009 draft has been long removed and neither has been able to secure a spot in the main squad.

Any indication they are ready this year?

Old
01-07-2013, 03:36 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I have been meaning to ask this, as I have not really followed their careers...but how are Peter Holland and Kyle Palmieri developing? 2009 draft has been long removed and neither has been able to secure a spot in the main squad.

Any indication they are ready this year?
Well Palmieri should be on the Ducks' lineup for good when the season starts. Holland is close to claiming his place.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:

Some of you guys are just going too soft on these guys. The talent is there, they are getting paid damn good money to produce, and I want to see results. Making the playoffs should not be a long shot with this team.
It isn't really going soft. It's just what I see. You think the talent is there and I don't. Maybe, if whoever from among Palmieri/Holland/DSP/Bonino makes the team is a positive contributor, if Hiller is hot (not just recovered and not rusty, but hot), if Teemu has another 25-goal pace season, if both Fowler and Sbisa take big steps forward, if the new defensemen solidify as a unit and the old injured defensemen are recovered and not permanently diminished, and if the power play recovers, we'll make the playoffs.

That's too many ifs IMO. They probably won't all happen. And I'm treating Perry and Getzlaf returning to form as a given.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:55 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Should be a playoff team? Eh I don't know about that.

Outside of Getz/Ryan/Perry/Teemu we don't have all that much scoring and are a pretty easy team to match up on defensively

Depends how the rookies stand up / if Bonino can continue to improve to provide that secondary scoring.

One thing I do like about our team is the new look defence, and hopefully an in-form Hiller.

I don't think we'll have enough scoring for the playoffs myself.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I don't think we'll have enough scoring for the playoffs myself.
Agree, but I'm not thinking about it too much atm cause I'm just happy that the lockout is over. Let the games begin already.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Admiral Al

I forgot who won last years Stanley Cup????

Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Exit Dose

Good one.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Admiral Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Not all of the guys who normally would've been invited will be, because we're mid-season. It seems like only a few guys could realistically be invited, and it would have to be those with the best chances. Maroon, Holland, Palmieri, DSP, Clark, Guenin, maybe Andersen? That already seems like too many.

LMAO invite Clark to the camp!!! He is a minus forever in the AHL but he is the best defensman in the Amaheim system LOL he was a healthy scratch last night as he should be, his only claim to fame is being a 2nd round pick (maybe the ducks should fire the scout!!!)

Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
What is this guy's deal. Jesus I'm having crunch flashbacks. Or were they the pork guys, can't remember.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
What is this guy's deal. Jesus I'm having crunch flashbacks. Or were they the pork guys, can't remember.
No kidding. I was thinking the same thing!

It was the Crunch guys who continually complained about the Ducks.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

We just cant have good relationships with ANY team NHL or AHL

But i do feel we could get them better players and treat our AHL affiliate better. Now with one or two players coming up, Ads will be in even worse situation

Old
01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Exit Dose

It's not like we haven't been trying. When the cupboard ran dry under Burke someone was going to have to bear the brunt of that down the road. Hell, it's not like we lack for talent down there right now. My sympathies are with the Ads fans for having to go from the greatest team in AHL history to us, but it is what it is. We're not going to dump millions of dollars into free agents or trade all of our prospects for the sake of our farm team. The tail isn't going to wag the dog.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Unagi

I don't follow the AHL but I had the impression that the Admirals are doing okay. But now I took a look at the standings and they are dead last in their conference? What went wrong? Is the Ducks' talent pool that bad or is it the coaching?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Exit Dose

Coaching, plus we're breaking in a lot of rookies.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
randyc

Understand

I don't expect the tail to wag the dog. And I must say that the team given us by the Ducks is way better than the team we got the first year of the Bolts affiliation.

One thing I might suggest, that worked out well for the Bolts. And that is try looking hard at the undrafteds coming out of the juniors and colleges. In 2010 the Bolts inked Cory Conacher and Tyler Johnson to AHL contracts. Conacher scored 39 goals for the Ads last season and Johnson had 31 goals and 37 assists. Both based on these performances got NHL contracts.

You can find some real diamonds for cheap this way. From what I've seen of the Duck's scouts, they are pretty good talent evaluators. Turn them loose on these types of players.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I meant by signing some veteran FA`s that wont cost us millions.

To DuckNoire: I actually think that our prospect poll is not as good as we might like to think. It is not bad, but it is not very good imo.

PS
Any info on Lindholm? It`s been a while.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
LMAO invite Clark to the camp!!! He is a minus forever in the AHL but he is the best defensman in the Amaheim system LOL he was a healthy scratch last night as he should be, his only claim to fame is being a 2nd round pick (maybe the ducks should fire the scout!!!)
Why so bitter? Clark seems like a decent player to me. I'm not sure how much you get to see them play, but I'm getting the impression you might not be the best source for information on our prospects.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:58 PM
randyc

Clark and etc.

Clark is a shut down dman. Any offense coming from him is a plus. Of the dmen in Norfolk, he probably should get the nod.

Once everyone has set their team rosters, the Ducks need to be looking around for some inexpensive free agents to restock Norfolk.

We could be losing Clark, Holland, Palmieri and DSP and potentially others. And the sheer numbers in the prospect pool of those available now are not very many. There is more in the juniors and college but are at a minimum a year away.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Admiral Al

Not sure that he is the player that should go up, Ive been to almost every game and Id say Hendry and Sami are alot better prospects than him, not saying im a hockey genius, but his stats dont lie, Hell even Guenzel who has a AHL contract has better stats and plays a more consistant game then Clark. Sorry just my opinion...

Old
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Hey, next year Norfolk will have Gibson. Problem solved.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Hey, next year Norfolk will have Gibson. Problem solved.
Speaking of which, there were a couple of quotes from Pete Peeters on John Gibson in Elliotte Friedman's latest 30 thoughts column (thoughts 15-17) here. Nothing too substantial but Peeters says teams need to be cautious of goalies based on one tournament - they need to have success year-in and year-out but he likes Gibsons athleticism and seemed high on him.

Closed Thread