Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion II: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Don't know if this hasn't been mentioned, but how didn't Vatanen win AHL rookie of the year? I could understand them not giving it to Schultz, as he only played half a year, but he was there the whole time, and had similar production as a defenseman than Toffoli did as a forward. Seems quite odd to see a rookie make the league's first all-star team and not be rookie of the year.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Exit Dose

Maybe it would make sense if we had watched Toffoli play down there.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:39 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
No idea, there were two rookies ahead of toffoli with more points in the same amount of games.

Looks to be was based on his scoring ability. Vatanen had alot of points, but they were mostly assists.

Quote:
Toffoli - He leads all AHL rookies in goals and shorthanded goals (three) and owns the highest plus/minus rating among rookie forwards in the league at plus-20.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
OHL leading setup man Charlie Sarault.
Props to Charlie. That was a perfectly placed rocket right on the tape.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:57 PM
AngelDuck

I'm stoked that we get a proper 4th line next year. Probably going to be Beleskey-Bonino-Maroon.

Maroon scored his 24th goal tonight.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It is a part of it, though, and it is something he does from time to time down in Norfolk. That's part of where all of those comments about him being too aggressive at times come from. It just seems a bit dodgy to say his defense is fine and ignore the point where it was at its worst.
His defense was fine. He made one mistake. I was more concerned with the many good things he did and the one bad thing he did in the game.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:04 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Vatanen just scored the GWG PP goal for Norfolk, we sure can't use that in Anaheim!

Sarault had 2 more assists......how many assists does he get before his first goal?

Old
04-13-2013, 09:06 PM
AngelDuck

VA-TA-NEN

Game winner in OT!

Old
04-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Exit Dose

Norfolk slides into eighth place. They have another game tomorrow afternoon.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
His defense was fine. He made one mistake. I was more concerned with the many good things he did and the one bad thing he did in the game.
He made more than one mistake in that game.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Paul4587

The AHL season is 76 games now is it not?

Old
04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Exit Dose

Correct.

Edit: Looks like they're in 7th. The AHL site hadn't updated their standings.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:58 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
He made more than one mistake in that game.
Ugh, whatever. I know it's easier to pessimistic with him because he didn't set the worldbon fire when he was here and a couple of people here who have such a hard on for him it's annoying. But he's bery talented and isn't far away. But whatever, let's move on.

On a side note, I think it's a safe bet he's going be named the top d-man of the AHL since they won't give it to Schultz for playing a half a season. That's pretty awesome.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Ugh, whatever. I know it's easier to pessimistic with him because he didn't set the worldbon fire when he was here and a couple of people here who have such a hard on for him it's annoying. But he's bery talented and isn't far away. But whatever, let's move on.
I think the problem is that people see a need to carve it up into boom or bust. My take on his stint was that he didn't look ready, but that he showed the potential to be a great defenseman in the relatively near future, though probably not this year.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Don't know if this hasn't been mentioned, but how didn't Vatanen win AHL rookie of the year? I could understand them not giving it to Schultz, as he only played half a year, but he was there the whole time, and had similar production as a defenseman than Toffoli did as a forward. Seems quite odd to see a rookie make the league's first all-star team and not be rookie of the year.
A defenseman has never won AHL rookie of the year. I've never bothered to look it up, but odds are Vatanen isn't the only defenseman that probably should have...

Old
04-14-2013, 09:14 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
I think the problem is that people see a need to carve it up into boom or bust. My take on his stint was that he didn't look ready, but that he showed the potential to be a great defenseman in the relatively near future, though probably not this year.
Not just boom or bust, but boom or bust NOW.

My take is that Vatanen is very talented and he will become an impact defenseman in the future. But not this season. He will probably make the NHL full time part way through next season and will actually make an impact 2 years after that. Defensemen's prime is the late 20s. Give him time to mature FFS.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Have we wrapped back around to Vatanen being underrated now? I haven't been here in a bit.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Have we wrapped back around to Vatanen being underrated now? I haven't been here in a bit.
No it seems more to be like Vatanen is rated fine when you average the opinions of him. It's either "Picking Vatanen was a waste of a 4th round pick" or "Vatanen should be on Anaheim PP1 this season". The middle ground is where Vatanen is at.

Vatanen was a great 4th round pick. He had a great season in the AHL considering it was his first season in NA, I don't know what more could have been asked of a 2009 4th round pick. He has lots of NHL potential. He could still become something great, but there still is a chance of him to never put it together in the NHL. Anaheim seems to be handling Vatanen with caution. They are not giving him the chance to show where he is at right now but this is good for Vatanen as he is able to keep his offensive game in AHL while learning the defensive side of the game. When he is ready for NHL, he really will be an offensive force while being able to handle the defensive game. He still has a couple of seasons to get it together in the NHL before it's better for him to take the KHL/European route.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Yeah I'd say on average Vatanen is rated about right. It's just that most people have the two most polar views of him.

Lindholm is the guy I think is overrated in terms of NHL readiness (not overall potential). I think people are asking to DSP him.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Yeah I'd say on average Vatanen is rated about right. It's just that most people have the two most polar views of him.

Lindholm is the guy I think is overrated in terms of NHL readiness (not overall potential). I think people are asking to DSP him.
That sounds dirtier than it probably should.

There's a real disconnect around here about the age a prospect usually makes it as an effective NHL player, especially defensemen.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Well Lindholm is the one who hasn't had a game in the NHL yet. Maybe some of them just would like to see how he manages for a few games. Lindholm is a defensive defender in the AHL also, so getting the occasional call up wouldn't hinder his development as much as possibly would Vatanen. Lindholm could thrive in a third pairing shut down role and he doesn't need the big minutes to be effective.

I think that Vatanen and Lindholm are essentially on the same level as players, Lindholm defensively is what Vatanen is offensively. As a prospect Lindholm is the more valuable of the two as he is the younger one so he has more time to develop.

So all in all I can see why some people here want to see Lindholm getting the call up when the next D goes down. But I think that they aren't fighting for the same roster spot anyway, so I guess it will depend a lot on who gets injured which one of the two gets the call up.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

The whole issue with Vatanen has been that the Sami hype train is way out of hand. Every GDT, and daily in the roster thread current NHL players are beat up regularly, and we are told Sami is the answer to all our D problems. Sami should be here now. Every day, multiple times a day. Mind you, none of this comes with any thought out response to his current shortcomings. Just a demand to trade vets and bring up Sami.

Instead of having an intelligent conversation about the pros and cons of our D and our D prospects, we got (and continue to get) childish responses demanding Sami be brought up.

Reading all the Sami hype reminds me of why I don't read the Ducks' own forum. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

That only applies to a few select people and I think most here know who they are. But that's why Sami has become so polarizing around here. It sure isn't his fault.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:27 PM
AngelDuck

Vatanen: 9 + 36 = 45 and +1.

Ready for NHL I say. Been dominating the AHL the second half of the season.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Vatanen: 9 + 36 = 45 and +1.

Ready for NHL I say. Been dominating the AHL the second half of the season.
Like Schultz? That's working out just peachy for Edmonton at ES, isn't it?

Old
04-14-2013, 02:38 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Like Schultz? That's working out just peachy for Edmonton at ES, isn't it?
Vatanen is better on defense then J Schultz IMO. Schultz is very soft on the body. Vats doesn't shy away from contact. You'll see what I mean next year.

Closed Thread