HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout continues Part V - Hockey cancelled till January 14th

View Poll Results: OWNERS OR PLAYERS, who do you support
owners 75 62.50%
players 45 37.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 10:56 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think the NHLPA should just decertify and get the season cancelled immediately.

When they are ready to play against most contracts will be expired and we can have a free for all.
REDRAFT THE LEAGUE!!!!!

According to 2011-12 final standings.

Give each team 2 weeks to sign 4 players. Redraft the rest.
2012 draft remains as is.
Snaked draft starts 3rd round.

The 125th best player in the league?
And 155th? Woo

If we kept Kessel, Gardiner, Phaneuf, ???? then added who knows? But it would be someone good.

Man I just want hockey.

I'm enjoying the CHL games on Sportsnet and I would be watching some of the Marlie games anyway, but I want the NHL back. Starting to lose it

Old
12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
If the PA decertifies, the draft could be no more, all 18 year olds automatically become free agents
They might as well move it to this point. If the NHL has gone into "the hill we will kill a season on" mode PA might as well escalate it. Better than both sides waiting until the last minute before we have to cancel a season and trying to remember how to negotiate.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:09 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Decertification is such a sensationalized thing the media has made up to spark some sort of discourse on a space like this.

Nobody would have the guts to go through with it. And nobody can say otherwise because it hasn't happened before in another major sport and there has been no real discussion amongst those involved in the process about it besides banter. Any naysaying is speculation and pipe dreams

Old
12-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
Ok whatever fine it can happen. My question was never about that
You asked what would happen, very likely, decertification would happen.

I'm pretty sure if no decertification happened, the draft would go, but no contract can be signed. in 2004-05 the CBA wasn't signed until like July 18th or something, and the draft still happened

Old
12-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 72
Quote:
Decertification is such a sensationalized thing the media has made up to spark some sort of discourse on a space like this.

Nobody would have the guts to go through with it. And nobody can say otherwise because it hasn't happened before in another major sport and there has been no real discussion amongst those involved in the process about it besides banter. Any naysaying is speculation and pipe dreams
NFL was about to before a deal was struck 2 weeks later, NBA was in the process of doing it when a deal was struck.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Aplayaz2000

why dont they just go on already save time and cancel the whole season

its guna happen anyways

Old
12-13-2012, 05:36 AM
thecatch22

So after sitting out half the season and working towards a new CBA to maintain parity in the NHL the players are willing to decertify leaving small franchises at the mercy of having all their players poached?

When pigs fly my friends, when pigs fly.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:04 AM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#CBA meeting over. No progress. #NHL remains firm on "take it or leave it" last offer to #NHLPA.

Good. I want hockey back but I don't want the owners caving on the issue of contract length.

Hold firm Gary!

Old
12-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Good job owners, don't cave.

I'd be absolutely stoked if the union decertified....can you imagine all those prospects as free agents? Mr. Connor McDavid, meet your new team.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:13 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
Which players do you think are now finished because of this lockout? Last time there were players likevStevens, Steve Thomas whomwentnoff quietlyninto the night. Is Wade Redden done? Jagr?

Old
12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
The Saurus

Quote:

Donald Fehr specifically mentioned decertification as an option. It was not created by the media.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Which players do you think are now finished because of this lockout? Last time there were players likevStevens, Steve Thomas whomwentnoff quietlyninto the night. Is Wade Redden done? Jagr?
I thought Redden was done a while ago. I think Jagr will be back, he is playing, wants to play and he had a lot of interest as FA this summer. If season is canceled, maybe he signs in Dallas again, maybe he is offered a better deal in Montreal (wanted to go there and Plekanec is playing for free with him in Kladno), or maybe another team was waiting for CBA to resolve to offer better deal.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I thought Redden was done a while ago. I think Jagr will be back, he is playing, wants to play and he had a lot of interest as FA this summer. If season is canceled, maybe he signs in Dallas again, maybe he is offered a better deal in Montreal (wanted to go there and Plekanec is playing for free with him in Kladno), or maybe another team was waiting for CBA to resolve to offer better deal.
I think it would be great to see Jagr in Montreal but he probably wouldn't be a good fit for them.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:35 AM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Donald Fehr specifically mentioned decertification as an option. It was not created by the media.
If I mention the I saw the Trix rabbit wearing a Run DMC sweater in central park eating a Pogo is doesn't make it so does it?

Talk is cheap (I guess for Fehr actually it costs millions).

Old
12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Owners didn't ask for the meeting. They had nothing "new" to offer. Apparently neither did the PA, they just wanted to waste everyone's time.
So you blame the PA yet the owners aren't asking for the 2 sides to meet yet the PA doesn't want to negotiate? Umm...thats not how it works lol

Old
12-13-2012, 10:58 AM
MapleLeafGardens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Good job owners, don't cave...
Here here! The owners have drawn the line they have negotiated as far as they can go! Saying they have not or are not willing to negotiate is total BS! Their final offer is more than fair the issues they are holding firm on are for the betterment of the game and it's long term health. The owners make multi million dollar investments into teams they take all the risk and many are taking huge losses. The PA are well paid and well looked after by the NHL. The NHL is the least popular by far compared to the other major leagues. PA should take it to a vote accept the final offer get back to work be happy with their place in life and stop this foolishness of burning up their pay cheques.

After everything the NHL has gone through with CBA strife a 10 year deal for the stability of the game is more than warranted for all parties including the fans.

The PA employees also should have no gripes over 5 year contract terms...

NBA - 5 year max contracts
NFL - no gauranteed contracts

And if the PA foolishly takes the decertification road the NHL and it's team of lawyers have already stated they are well prepared.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Oh yes, the owners that care so much about the betterment of the game. Same owners signing players to whatever nutty contract they could think of in the last hours of the old CBA, same owners who used every tactic they could to break their own CBA, and the same owners who stuck teams in cities that had no ability to sustain them.

Regardless of how long this CBA lasts at the end of it we'll be back in another lockout. Back to complaining about how teams aren't viable and there will be another hill to die on.

All the sides in this thing are full of it.

On a side note though. It is somewhat funny that the NHL is all over limiting contract term and yet want a long term CBA. I don't even want to think about what they will be complaining about after not being able to do anything for that long.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:09 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
On a side note though. It is somewhat funny that the NHL is all over limiting contract term and yet want a long term CBA. I don't even want to think about what they will be complaining about after not being able to do anything for that long.
Why do you feel wanting a decade of labour peace combined with only wanting to pay the big money to players that are worthy of there salary funny ?

Every fan should want the NHL to push for contract term limits . It keeps the players motivated and limits the dead money deals that kills teams salary caps . These term limits also protect the players since they'll expire quicker and allow the younger player to cash in if they deserve to .

Old
12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
I still don't get it, what's the big deal over the 5% fluctuation? Who cares if someone signs a 5 year 30 mil deal, who cares if its all the same or 30 mil in one shot?

Old
12-13-2012, 12:36 PM
MakeTheIronSing

So barring 'decertification', what happens to players coming out of Juniors/College that have been drafted but have not been signed? International play only? ECHL?

Old
12-13-2012, 01:05 PM
MapleLeafGardens*

According to the HC@Noon panel today Mac & Morrison both offered sources say that the owners are really pissed off and some are even unhappy with Bettman and feel he has given up too much to the players. They also said the NHL does not want to give Fehr a deadline date fearing he will just stall out until then. I disagree i think the NHL should tell the PA we won't play less than a 50 game schedule and therefore you have until this date to accept our final offer so we can begin the season according to our deadline plans. By not giving Fehr a deadline they are allowing his BS to continue.

The PA had better take the deal before the NHL's current offer becomes permanent history and their entire season of salary is toast.

At this point in time the PA will not prevail against the NHL. Nor will they ever recoup salary lost through this CBA.

Accept NHL's final offer now or adios PA.

At least the NHL is trying to fix it's broken business model. Will it work? Only the NHL knows as they are the ones who have drawn up this new CBA with the PA we shall see going forward...if there's a deal.

Last edited by MapleLeafGardens*: 12-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafGardens View Post
According to the HC@Noon panel today Mac & Morrison both offered sources say that the owners are really pissed off and some are even unhappy with Bettman and feel he has given up too much to the players. They also said the NHL does not want to give Fehr a deadline date fearing he will just stall out until then. I disagree i think the NHL should tell the PA we won't play less than a 50 game schedule and therefore you have until this date to accept our final offer so we can begin the season according to our deadline plans. By not giving Fehr a deadline they are allowing his BS to continue.

The PA had better take the deal before the NHL's current offer becomes permanent history and their entire season of salary is toast.

At this point in time the PA will not prevail against the NHL. Nor will they ever recoup salary lost through this CBA.

Accept NHL's final offer now or adios PA.

At least the NHL is trying to fix it's broken business model. Will it work? Only the NHL knows as they are the ones who have drawn up this new CBA with the PA we shall see going forward...if there's a deal.
Why should the PA take this deal?lol If Bettman truly believes Its the best deal they've offered then why should Fehr accept if Bettman will come back with another"best deal ever" lol

Old
12-13-2012, 01:33 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafGardens View Post
Not even the NHLs can foresee the future. They thought the last CBA was fair, but some idiot GMs managed to exploit the rules. This time, they're not willing to take chances, and be so trusting.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:44 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
So you blame the PA yet the owners aren't asking for the 2 sides to meet yet the PA doesn't want to negotiate? Umm...thats not how it works lol
And you assume the deals will keep getting better and better the longer the PA holds out, and that there's no such thing as a "final offer".

I believe if you (PA) have nothing to say, you shouldn't talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Why should the PA take this deal?lol If Bettman truly believes Its the best deal they've offered then why should Fehr accept if Bettman will come back with another"best deal ever" lol

Old
12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I still don't get it, what's the big deal over the 5% fluctuation? Who cares if someone signs a 5 year 30 mil deal, who cares if its all the same or 30 mil in one shot?
Smaller market teams that may be unable to shell out 30 mil in one shot.

Closed Thread