HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

League/Owners Contacting Individual Players During Lockout?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2012, 02:51 PM
  #1
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
League/Owners Contacting Individual Players During Lockout?

Since this relates to the lockout I put it in this subforum but if it is in the wrong spot could a mod please move this for me? Thanks.

Alright, on to my post.

We all know that owners/teams are not supposed to be talking to players during the lockout. If that really is the case, how can Burkle and Crosby have been talking without either side crying foul over it?

And in the article linked below mention is made of Bettman and the owners contacting players directly (not sure if it means more than just Crosby but let's assume it does). If they cannot talk to players during the lockout how can they be doing this? And if they are, how can they even attempt to claim the moral high ground in these negotiations when they are clearly breaking their own rules?

Here is the article referred to in the preceding paragraph:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...ngry_response/

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:40 PM
  #2
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 13,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Since this relates to the lockout I put it in this subforum but if it is in the wrong spot could a mod please move this for me? Thanks.

Alright, on to my post.

We all know that owners/teams are not supposed to be talking to players during the lockout. If that really is the case, how can Burkle and Crosby have been talking without either side crying foul over it?
Both Burkle and Crosby had prior permission to talk from both sides and even ended up flying to New York together for this past week's meetings.

Quote:
And in the article linked below mention is made of Bettman and the owners contacting players directly (not sure if it means more than just Crosby but let's assume it does). If they cannot talk to players during the lockout how can they be doing this? And if they are, how can they even attempt to claim the moral high ground in these negotiations when they are clearly breaking their own rules?

Here is the article referred to in the preceding paragraph:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...ngry_response/
Here's the line in question:
Quote:
Clearly a student of history, Fehr began by restructuring the union hierarchy so that there was no longer a ready-made group of potential Brutuses who might be turned against him. Bettman and the owners have attempted the same strategy this time around, contacting players directly, whispering about revolts in the rank and file, suggesting that Fehr isn’t telling the whole truth, that it’s his presence alone that is preventing a deal. But so far, it doesn’t seem to be working nearly as well as it did against Goodenow.
I don't know exactly what Brunt might be referring to. If, indeed, the NHL is contacting players without the prior permission of PA, it would not go over well and could even constitute a breach of labour law.

He could simply be talking about this week's past owners/players meeting without Donald Fehr (though with his brother Steve) in attendance or even to that period of time in late October where management (GMs) were given permission for a very brief time to answer any questions from players who called. They could not, however, initiate contact and did not announce publicly that they had made such an exception.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:36 PM
  #3
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Both Burkle and Crosby had prior permission to talk from both sides and even ended up flying to New York together for this past week's meetings.
I hadn't heard anywhere that they had prior permission. That clears that up though!



Quote:
He could simply be talking about this week's past owners/players meeting without Donald Fehr (though with his brother Steve) in attendance or even to that period of time in late October where management (GMs) were given permission for a very brief time to answer any questions from players who called. They could not, however, initiate contact and did not announce publicly that they had made such an exception.
I wish he had been more clear in the article as to exactly what he was referring to. Then again, maybe this will be in the news further just like Kypreos' comments earlier this week that got some teams into trouble with the league.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
  #4
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 30,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I wish he had been more clear in the article as to exactly what he was referring to. Then again, maybe this will be in the news further just like Kypreos' comments earlier this week that got some teams into trouble with the league.

Was that the coaches contacting players to come back??

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:25 PM
  #5
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Was that the coaches contacting players to come back??

Yes. The next day I think they mentioned GMs as well but I could be wrong about that.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.