HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Could a 2 or 3 city, 3 week tournament be viable if the lockout continues?

Old
12-07-2012, 02:17 PM
socratic

vCash: 500
Could a 2 or 3 city, 3 week tournament be viable if the lockout continues?

There's various ways this could play out, but could sponsors (particularly sponsors who would otherwise be putting money into the NHL) come forward and put up an appropriate amount of money to draw big talent for a 3 week, 3 city tournament?

The organizers could send invites to 8 NHL stars, and tell them to assemble the best teams they can. Make the tourney 4 on 4 to make rosters easier to fill (and funds easier to divide). They could even make the tourney non-contact if the players were worried about injury, though I know many fans would be opposed to this.

A sample layout could look similar to the NCAA MArch Madness Bracket (but with round robins instead of direct knockout):

Round 1 on a weekend with games in Boston and New York.
Round 2 (Quarters or Semis) with games in two other cities, perhaps Washington and Chicago.
Round 3: Semi's and/or Finals in Toronto.

Cash prizes are given out based on how well your team does.

It would pose no long term threat to the NHL, but it seems like in the huge swirl of negativity engulfing the professional hockey world, a brief reprive to see some of the world's best play for something would be nice. Could it make sense financially?

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Ringmaster316

i would watch ,i don't care for nhl teams, i just want to watch some hockey with the best players in the world

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

I'm assuming that you wouldn't be able to get games at an NHL arena so for NY you'd have to use IZOD Center in NJ.. Maybe Boston College's arena up there although its smaller

But I can't see the League being okay with NHL teams allowing non-NHL hockey with NHL players to go on in their building

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:46 PM
patnyrnyg

I doubt there would be any serious interest.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote