HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Is there a reason why no official mention of insurance issues on behalf of the NHL

Old
12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Is there a reason why no official mention of insurance issues on behalf of the NHL

The fact that the NHL is sticking to it's guns (Daly "this is the hill we will die on") in regards to the 5 year contract limit (7 for resignings) so adamantly seems to suggest that the insurance issues behind SPCs is a driving factor (not the only one to be sure)

I was just wondering why there is so little mention of this? It seems like it would be really easy for the owners to say "listen, insurance won't cover you guys for more than 5 years, so if you we allow longer than 5 year deals and you get injured we are screwed". It seems like a reasonable position to take considering the NHL has no control over the insurance company; yet no one seems to bring up outside of HFBoards...

Is there a reason why this insurance issue is not brought up more often by reporters or league officials?
It could be that it actually has nothing do with it (it's possible after all, I know very little about insurance) but I am starting to wonder if there is something to the fact it's barely talked about.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
I noticed this too. I really wonder why it wasn't mentioned.
The only justification that Bettman gave in the presser was that in 2004(?) There was one contract over 6 years long and now there were 60.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:20 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Maybe the perception is that it's a little too "meta" for the common sports fan, so they aren't talking about it directly and/or the media isn't reporting on it.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Model62

vCash: 500
Insurance may be a factor (who knows?), but the five year contract cap offers other benefits for the League (just off the top of my head):

* Another brake on cap circumventing contracts to go with the backdiving restrictions;
* One less thing for players and agents to use as leverage.
* More player movement, which is good for fan interest.

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
Insurance may be a factor (who knows?), but the five year contract cap offers other benefits for the League (just off the top of my head):

* Another brake on cap circumventing contracts to go with the backdiving restrictions;
* One less thing for players and agents to use as leverage.
* More player movement, which is good for fan interest.
It offers better protection against offer sheets. You can't try to poach a player with several years of absurd signing bonuses if you aren't willing to offer the player that kind of money each year. I have a feeling Philly wouldn't have offered Weber a five year deal with a $13M+ annual cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Maybe the perception is that it's a little too "meta" for the common sports fan, so they aren't talking about it directly and/or the media isn't reporting on it.
NHL hasn't really tried to sell their proposal to the public more than pointing to the overall health of the league.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote