HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Managerial/Simulation game with historical mode in development!

Old
09-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Managerial/Simulation game with historical mode in development!

Hey guys,

I know this forum doesn't usually contain discussions of managerial/simulation games, but I think this one may catch the attention of many of you.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ical-play.html

The developers of OOTP Baseball (and researchers of the NHL EHM series of games) are currently developing a game titled "Franchise Hockey Manager 13" to be released in early 2013 for the PC and MAC.

Anyways, it will feature a HISTORICAL mode which is many hockey fans dream come true. You will be able to play any season from 1947-1948 to present day, and they will consist of the correct players, teams, and rookies entering the leagues at the correct times.

Here's a blurb from the developers diary:

Quote:
That said, let's start with the basics: the game will let you pick a season and play from there - if you want to start in 1955, you get the teams and rosters that actually existed then. Every year, the new rookies will be added, and depending on your preferences, you can have them either show up on their historical teams or be available for drafting and signing. Hate that your team traded away a future Hall of Famer for a guy that broke down a couple of years later? Now you can avoid the mistake. Were they ruined by year after year of incompetent drafting? Well, do it yourself and see if you can make better picks. Been waiting four-plus decades for a cup? Go win one yourself.
It sounds incredible and I think many fellow fans of the NHL's history will have a blast with this.

If interested please check the link I provided for the developers diary of the mode. The possibilities of historical play in a game such as this is practically endless.

edit:

Official features:

Quote:
From the Happy Holidays email sent out from OOTP Developments (not a complete list)

Windows and Mac support

Two game modes: Modern and Historical

2012-13 game start with these playable leagues: NHL, AHL, ECHL, QMJHL, WHL, OHL, KHL, DEL, Elitserien and EIHL

Over 1,000 teams, comprising nearly 100 leagues, that are non-playable but are stocked with real players

Start any NHL season from 1947-48 through today, with players appearing on their actual teams or in a draft

Real stats, finances, and rules

Detailed player model with over 30 skills in 5 main categories

Trades, player transfers, RFA/UFA signings, and more

Set lines and tactics and make changes on the fly during games that feature a huge, editable play-by-play database

News engine featuring a database packed with thousands of articles

Stat keeping, including CORSI and Fenwick

Almost everything is editable, from logos and colors to data to league rules and more

Fantasy Draft

Expansion Drafts will be included. You can move teams, "delete" them or add new teams, players from deleted teams become FA`s, if you add new teams you can hold an expansion draft (existing teams can protect players). All this is possible before any season you want.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-19-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Yep - I've been watching this one eagerly since day one. I've been playing OOTP since 3.0, and I really trust the guys behind this product.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:46 PM
BraveCanadian

EHM is really starting to show its age so I am looking forward to another attempt.

Hopefully this one sells well enough to make it viable.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:05 PM
GummoMarx

Oh my GOd, you just made my #$@%ing year!!!

GummoMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:04 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Sounds awesome, would be sick if they released a sequel that started when the NHL started, and you could make it "what if the Sens or Maroons or Pirates never left the league"

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:52 PM
doug hamilton

I'm a big fan of the folks at OOTP and believe that they will come out with a quality product. My experience has been that they are very responsive to their customers and if the hockey game is similar to what they've done in baseball then it will be well worth the money.

Because the games they produce are constantly evolving I expect that the process of refining and improving future editions of this game will offer an opportunity to create a really exciting product. They also have a pretty impressive baseball franchise that gives them a good head start in terms of developing their hockey game as well as a community of supporters who actively generate and share modifications and resources for the baseball franchise. Hopefully that enthusiasm will cross over to their hockey game.

doug hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:59 PM
RabbinsDuck

Curious how they will handle expansion.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Hawkman

I didn't know about this, but thought about an ATD of teams, not players. Would some guys pick non-Cup winning teams, because they thought the best team didn't win? I just found out that although Melky Cabrera is 1 AB short by baseball rules he will win the NL batting title unless the Commish makes precedent by ruling him ineligible. Don't believe me, go do your homework, son.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Curious how they will handle expansion.
I've thought of this as well. Depending on which season you start with, the correct teams will appear in your game, but it will definitely be interesting to see if they could also make the teams appear as they entered the league at the correct times. For example if I start at the beginning of the 88-89 season, will the San Jose Sharks enter the game in 91-92 as I progress through my game? Will the teams re-locate automatically? Or do you have to start a file in one of the years where they have already moved?

This part of the game almost sounds too good to be true, but you never know I guess. If not in the first version of the game, I'm sure it will be a possibility with future versions.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:18 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I've thought of this as well. Depending on which season you start with, the correct teams will appear in your game, but it will definitely be interesting to see if they could also make the teams appear as they entered the league at the correct times. For example if I start at the beginning of the 88-89 season, will the San Jose Sharks enter the game in 91-92 as I progress through my game? Will the teams re-locate automatically? Or do you have to start a file in one of the years where they have already moved?

This part of the game almost sounds too good to be true, but you never know I guess. If not in the first version of the game, I'm sure it will be a possibility with future versions.
Starting as an expansion team would be a lot of fun (especially with an expansion draft), at least after winning 50+ years straight as the '48 Canadiens or Red Wings.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

OOTP has this - depending on what they're able to lift from that engine, it's conceivable (although it's probably a better bet down the line).

Old
09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
OOTP has this - depending on what they're able to lift from that engine, it's conceivable (although it's probably a better bet down the line).
That would be incredible. Here's hoping.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Hawkman

If a team (Jets/Coyotes, Sharks) or a player has never dominated in the playoffs, is this a factor or is just number/stat based? Is it only based on regular season stats in the regular season, playoffs in the playoffs, a combo of both, or what?

Old
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Habsfan18

Official features:

Quote:
From the Happy Holidays email sent out from OOTP Developments (not a complete list)

Windows and Mac support

Two game modes: Modern and Historical

2012-13 game start with these playable leagues: NHL, AHL, ECHL, QMJHL, WHL, OHL, KHL, DEL, Elitserien and EIHL

Over 1,000 teams, comprising nearly 100 leagues, that are non-playable but are stocked with real players

Start any NHL season from 1947-48 through today, with players appearing on their actual teams or in a draft

Real stats, finances, and rules

Detailed player model with over 30 skills in 5 main categories

Trades, player transfers, RFA/UFA signings, and more

Set lines and tactics and make changes on the fly during games that feature a huge, editable play-by-play database

News engine featuring a database packed with thousands of articles

Stat keeping, including CORSI and Fenwick

Almost everything is editable, from logos and colors to data to league rules and more

Fantasy Draft

Expansion Drafts will be included. You can move teams, "delete" them or add new teams, players from deleted teams become FA`s, if you add new teams you can hold an expansion draft (existing teams can protect players). All this is possible before any season you want.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

I'm still pretty excited about this. I waste so much time playing their baseball game.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Elever
Hth

I'm wondering how they researched the attributes of players from the 40s and 50s.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Though I was (and am) originally the head researcher for all things NHL, I will be a part of the attribute/formulation process for the historical aspects of this game as well. My first priority is current NHL, but I will have a say in the history.

I can't say too much, but there are many "profiles" developed to aid in the creation of historical players. Again, I can't go into much detail unfortunately.

If you liked OOTP Baseball, you'll like this very much I reckon.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
MXD

The thing with know with those devs is they tend to refine their formula A LOT until they reach a certain point.
Those who played OOTP 2.0 up to 8 can attest.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Though I was (and am) originally the head researcher for all things NHL, I will be a part of the attribute/formulation process for the historical aspects of this game as well. My first priority is current NHL, but I will have a say in the history. I can't say too much, but there are many "profiles" developed to aid in the creation of historical players. Again, I can't go into much detail unfortunately. If you liked OOTP Baseball, you'll like this very much I reckon.
Hi Mike! It was probably due to my poor writing, but this is the game I mentioned to you.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Hi Mike! It was probably due to my poor writing, but this is the game I mentioned to you.
Oops! I thought you meant something else...there was a thread on here not long ago about simulating great teams of the past or whatever, kind of like a whatifsports type of deal, I thought you meant that for some reason. My apologies on the error - reading comprehension: F-.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
jkrx

My grandson forced me to try this manager game where someone had modified it to start in the '70's, it was intriguing.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote