HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Owners or Players?

View Poll Results: Do you currently side with the players or the owners?
Owners 124 80.52%
Players 30 19.48%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Have to admit I'm rather suprised by the results. I haven't been following the lockout that closely until recently because I'm disgusted by the whole thing, but I thought a majority of the fans would be on the players side since they're the ones that are making all the concessions.
They are making the concessions becasue they are the ones who have to make the concessions. The PA has has always known that they were the ones who were going to have to give. The only question was how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Not surprising results in my opinion. Most fans don't understand and don't take the time to understand the issues. They rely almost solely on what the media reports and since the media is a desperate group to get back to work, they obviously reported that the owners' last offer was a good one when really, it wasn't... for the players. Fans and media want hockey no matter who wins or loses and if accepting the owners' last offer means hockey being played and the players refused it, fans and media will blame the players. As simple as that.

In reality though, the players have every justification to have rejected that last offer and in spite of Gary Bettman's lies, the owners haven't given the players one single thing since the beginning of the negotiations. They're only budging from their initial low-ball offer and anyone who doesn't see that, simply refuses to see the truth.
I agree most fans dont understand the issues. Thats why on some other sites that people have quoted, the people tend to be against the owners. This site is full of people who are actually trying to take the time to understand the issues, hence the overwhelming support of the owners. It seems the more informed the people are trying to be (like on this site), the more against the PA they are.

Its actually too bad its worded "owners" vs "players", as it should be "owners" vs "PA". The group representing the players shoudl be where the anger is directed, not at the players themselves. Most players just want to play the game they love and get paid the millions the owners are offering. But they have to follow the leader.

Cawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
They are making the concessions becasue they are the ones who have to make the concessions. The PA has has always known that they were the ones who were going to have to give. The only question was how much.

I agree most fans dont understand the issues. Thats why on some other sites that people have quoted, the people tend to be against the owners. This site is full of people who are actually trying to take the time to understand the issues, hence the overwhelming support of the owners. It seems the more informed the people are trying to be (like on this site), the more against the PA they are.

Its actually too bad its worded "owners" vs "players", as it should be "owners" vs "PA". The group representing the players shoudl be where the anger is directed, not at the players themselves. Most players just want to play the game they love and get paid the millions the owners are offering. But they have to follow the leader.
This cannot be further from the truth. This site (and many others) are filled with people who, just like the media, are desperate to see hockey back ASAP and if the media says that the owners' deal was good, they'll buy the Kool-Aid simply because that would be the fastest way to get their hockey fix back.

One proof is fans comparing the professional sports business and trying to relate it to where they work. It's unrealistic, if not just plain stupid.

The Trade Rumours section is also filled with proofs that because people participate on hockey forums like this one doesn't mean they know what they're talking about, that they're informed. The fact that they are here in spite of the lockout simply shows that they are a bunch of passionate hockey fans who are pissed off that they aren't getting their game (and rightfully so), nothing else.

The day that someone comes here and tells me what the owners are giving to the players from the last CBA is the day that I might start saying that the players aren't reasonable. Until then, what I do see is that the players are the only ones making concessions and that's not right, no matter which way you cut it. Hats' off to the players for sticking together for once instead of folding like cheap tents as they've done in the past! The more power to them!

This poll simply shows that 80% of the people here want hockey back and they don't care who wins and who loses. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not read into it that people are informed.

EDIT: The most mis-informed comment of your post is when you say that players have to follow the leader. The negotiating committee has been opened to every member from day one and they can voice their opinion at any time. Can't say the same on the owners' side now, can we?

Last edited by Habsterix*: 12-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
This cannot be further from the truth. This site (and many others) are filled with people who, just like the media, are desperate to see hockey back ASAP and if the media says that the owners' deal was good, they'll buy the Kool-Aid simply because that would be the fastest way to get their hockey fix back.

One proof is fans comparing the professional sports business and trying to relate it to where they work. It's unrealistic, if not just plain stupid.

The Trade Rumours section is also filled with proofs that because people participate on hockey forums like this one doesn't mean they know what they're talking about, that they're informed. The fact that they are here in spite of the lockout simply shows that they are a bunch of passionate hockey fans who are pissed off that they aren't getting their game (and rightfully so), nothing else.

The day that someone comes here and tells me what the owners are giving to the players from the last CBA is the day that I might start saying that the players aren't reasonable. Until then, what I do see is that the players are the only ones making concessions and that's not right, no matter which way you cut it. Hats' off to the players for sticking together for once instead of folding like cheap tents as they've done in the past! The more power to them!

This poll simply shows that 80% of the people here want hockey back and they don't care who wins and who loses. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not read into it that people are informed.

EDIT: The most mis-informed comment of your post is when you say that players have to follow the leader. The negotiating committee has been opened to every member from day one and they can voice their opinion at any time. Can't say the same on the owners' side now, can we?
Well, I guess you see what you want to see. I dont see people taking the media's opinions as their own. I see a forum where all the deals are discussed and dissected in detail so that people here can form their own opinions. Maybe if stopped going to the trade rumour board for your lockout opinions, you'd see that.

As per your edit comment, ask Hamrlik how well speaking out worked for him. He's a respected vet and thinly veiled threats were thrown his way. You really think a depth player or young player is going to speak out?

Cawz is online now   Reply With Quote