HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Valve Releasing new PC/Console for next gen?

Old
12-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Valve Releasing new PC/Console for next gen?

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...sole_next_year

Quote:
Valve boss Gabe Newell has announced this week that the company will be launching a console built for the living room next year.
Newell says the company's main focus now is how to make PCs work better in the living room on the big screen. The first step was releasing their "Big Picture" UI earlier this year.

PC packages that are designed to run on a TV will be launched next year, by Valve and by other manufacturers, with each being able to run Steam flawlessly out of the gate.
Things just got a bit interesting.

12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It should be an interesting step to get PC gaming to be more mainstream. Although I shutter to think of people who would buy this, hook up their XBOX 360 remote, proceed to play COD and get spanked and wonder why.

I'm assuming something like this would have upgradeable hardware which would automatically make it better than a console. We'll see though.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Can't you just get a PC with an HDMI port? Put it on the opposite side that your sub is on and it doesn't really take much space. Wireless keyboard/mouse and boom, you're read to go.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Can't you just get a PC with an HDMI port? Put it on the opposite side that your sub is on and it doesn't really take much space. Wireless keyboard/mouse and boom, you're read to go.
Absolutely, but the average person wouldn't do that.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Belfour20

Quote:
And if size is an issue, you can go mini-itx.

Belfour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
You can but I think Valve is making it to appeal to the casual gamer that doesn't know anything about building computers. I have a HTPC in an HTPC case and it fits just fine on my TV stand, it looks like a DVD player and about the size of an old oversized VCR. I have a wireless Iogear keyboard that has a ball mouse built into the keyboard so I can use it comfortably from anywhere in my room.

I hope it becomes successful. I don't really see myself buying one unless it's really cheap and when I move out so I can game on a TV in a separate room, but this being successful would hopefully be good news in getting more quality games on PC and make them run better on PC. We'll see, I'll try to remain optimistic.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
These are going to be designed from the outset as media players/devices, ala Xbox, so there's some UI considerations. I'm not sure what 'running steam flawlessly' entails, because it's not exactly a beastly piece of software. Games, on the other hand, can be. And there's no easy way to run games at nice resolution/framerate in a small form factor. Integrated solutions just aren't there yet IMO and there's the issue of cooling.

I personally just run a HDMI cord from my 560 TIs to my receiver. Not everyone has an HDMI out on their cards though.

They need streaming video like Netflix for these to get off the ground. Valve is usually pretty creative with their approach to these sorts of things so I'm curious to see what they have in store for the market. They wouldn't bother to release a 'me-too' style box.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
blue425

Been following these rumors for a while now, up to now though they were just rumors.

This could be a great thing.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Been following these rumors for a while now, up to now though they were just rumors.

This could be a great thing.
definitely mean this pc will be stronger in power but I am still not sure how to feel about this haha

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:49 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

The problem is convincing developers to make games linux compatible or so I heard.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sounds like it's just an attempt to more effectively bring Steam to the casual market.

If I want something off Steam I'll sit down at my PC and use a mouse/keyboard.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Sounds like it's just an attempt to more effectively bring Steam to the casual market.

for people like me who has been more of a console man I can`t say much but be intrigued by this really.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
My 3rd monitor is my TV... *shrug*

But yes Whipnash is right, very few people connect their PC to their TV in any meaningful way for some reason.

I know people that buy go-betweens though, like the "Boxee."

Not sure why.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

While I'm sure it will still have them you don't even need the big cutting edge AAA releases to make a Steam Box worthwhile. With the prices you can get on it between the indy scene and years worth of backlogged games it's a worthwhile purchase to anyone that doesn't play games on their PC.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

I swear there was supposed to be this other console coming out. Had like based servers. Download games instead of buying disks. Anyone remember what im talking about?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
The problem is convincing developers to make games linux compatible or so I heard.
I wonder if that means native Linux games or Windows games that work through Wine. Would Valve use Wine or require its games to be native Linux? If it's the latter, then it presents a huge obstacle for them, since developers won't want to write Linux versions until there are lots of users for the box, which may not happen if there aren't already games; i.e. a catch-22.

If Valve doesn't use Wine, then they may have to really build other value into the box beyond PC games, so that people will buy it for other purposes--Netflix, web browsing, media center functionality and so on. Being able to run Android apps would be a cool feature, but, if Valve doesn't want to use Wine emulation, they may not want to support Android apps, either.

Valve may also face a conundrum if they want to advertise it as a "PC" for the living room, since the term has come to mean Windows to most people (Windows games even have "PC DVD" in big lettering on their boxes) and lots of people may assume that it has Windows and will run all Windows games without issue.

It'll go a long way to making the box interesting to people if it can run Windows games. It'll have a hard time if it doesn't, IMO.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-12-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 183
I have faith in Valve.

FrizzleFry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Zodiac

it'll be interesting to see what happens, but if i ever wanted something like this, i'd just hook my pc up to my hdtv via hdmi and call it a day. i'd much rather customize my own pc instead of buying some pre built Steam box that'd likely be somewhat lacking in power in order to remain cost effective.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:00 AM
LSnow

They would need to make a standard for how games operate under their system to make it viable, then pick components that are cheap and able to run new games for years, and somehow integrate console style remote to operate it. Otherwise its just an computer which is connected to TV via HDMI cable that adds nothing in value.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
I swear there was supposed to be this other console coming out. Had like based servers. Download games instead of buying disks. Anyone remember what im talking about?
On Live? Where the game would be "played" on their servers and then streamed into your device.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Clock

Awesome for people who want to play PC games on their TV easily, or want to use an ecosystem like Steam's where games sell at very reasonable prices.

I think it's great.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
On Live? Where the game would be "played" on their servers and then streamed into your device.
No it was the Ouya. Their kickstarter fundraising was very successful but many are skeptical that they'll be able to bring something to market.

Edit: Onlive is the service it will use but Ouya is the console product.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Awesome for people who want to play PC games on their TV easily, or want to use an ecosystem like Steam's where games sell at very reasonable prices.

I think it's great.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see what they do about controls. Will they limit it to remote only, or can us old school PCers **** with M&K?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Agreed. Will be interesting to see what they do about controls. Will they limit it to remote only, or can us old school PCers **** with M&K?
Since they are fundamentally still PC games, I don't see why they would actively disable that functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I wonder if that means native Linux games or Windows games that work through Wine. Would Valve use Wine or require its games to be native Linux?.
This is one reason Unity is quickly becoming very popular. They took the Unreal model of having the engine available to the public, then added multiplatform support natively. Any Unity game will run on Mac, Windows, or Linux. For indies its a no brainer, and I suspect you'll see some bigger fish start to use it a bit. Probably not the EA's and such, but anyone who might license an engine.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I hope not. Anytime I see "casual gamer" I automatically think nerfing and patches to 'level the field of play'

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote