HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly on the move? (Mod-Warning Post#200)

Old
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
The odds of O'Reilly getting traded are extremely low.

Case 1:
If the lockout ends this season, then he is an RFA and the Avs need to at least match the contract given in the KHL; at this point they can trade him. If the Avs do not, then either he stays in the KHL or another team offers him more and gives the Avs whatever compensation the new CBA stipulates. They may also trade his rights to another team, who then still needs to match the KHL contract.

Case 2:
If the lockout doesn't end this season, it is my understanding that O'Reilly would be a UFA when the new CBA is agreed upon (of course this is contingent on what the CBA states). Then any team may sign him, but it still must match his KHL contract.

So if he is traded, it would likely be for his rights as an RFA, which wouldn't be very valuable since the KHL contract must be high for the Avs to reject matching it.
How could he possibly become a UFA? The Avs will still hold his rights. How did you come up with that. The Avs will hold his rights no matter what. How would the new CBA possibly change that? I've seen nothing in their negotiations stating 22 year olds become UFAs, sorry.

Last edited by Avs44: 12-09-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
Quote:
The odds of O'Reilly getting traded are extremely low.

Case 1:
If the lockout ends this season, then he is an RFA and the Avs need to at least match the contract given in the KHL; at this point they can trade him. If the Avs do not, then either he stays in the KHL or another team offers him more and gives the Avs whatever compensation the new CBA stipulates. They may also trade his rights to another team, who then still needs to match the KHL contract.

Case 2:
If the lockout doesn't end this season, it is my understanding that O'Reilly would be a UFA when the new CBA is agreed upon (of course this is contingent on what the CBA states). Then any team may sign him, but it still must match his KHL contract.

So if he is traded, it would likely be for his rights as an RFA, which wouldn't be very valuable since the KHL contract must be high for the Avs to reject matching it.
Not sure I follow how O'Reilly would be a UFA at age 22 and suddenly the Avs no longer hold his rights.

That seems rather implausible under any scenario.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
TurdFerguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Not sure I follow how O'Reilly would be a UFA at age 22 and suddenly the Avs no longer hold his rights.

That seems rather implausible under any scenario.
My bad, this is only in the scenario where the NHLPA decertifies.

...But in this case he'd probably be 24 before another game of NHL hockey is played due to the legal mess and his KHL contract would be up.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
My bad, this is only in the scenario where the NHLPA decertifies.

...But in this case he'd probably be 24 before another game of NHL hockey is played due to the legal mess and his KHL contract would be up.
He is 21 currently. He would be 23.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
From the ROR to Chicago thread, when asked what Colorado would be looking for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
A young #1 LHD to play with EJ or a young elite first line goal scorer plus a pick.
I hesitate to even bring it up, but Edler?

Otherwise, the Canucks have nothing but a goalie to offer. Colorado doesn't need another starter that badly.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:45 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
From the ROR to Chicago thread, when asked what Colorado would be looking for:

I hesitate to even bring it up, but Edler?

Otherwise, the Canucks have nothing but a goalie to offer. Colorado doesn't need another starter that badly.
Look back 1-2 pages. Better yet, in thread search feature. Keyword: Edler.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Look back 1-2 pages. Better yet, in thread search feature. Keyword: Edler.
Yup, well even I'm embarrassed by my laziness. Well, I was thinking straight, as is, or a resigned Edler for a package with ROR, woe is me. Let's all pretend I didn't open that can of worms.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:53 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Yup, well even I'm embarrassed by my laziness. Well, I was thinking straight, as is, or a resigned Edler for a package with ROR, woe is me. Let's all pretend I didn't open that can of worms.
Re-signed for ROR and Barrie has my vote.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:13 AM
TSA0402

Does Vancouver give up Edler if he is re-signed? Doubt it... Whole idea is he demands an absurd contract in UFA that he is obviously not worth.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Re-signed for ROR and Barrie has my vote.
Yeah, I'd do that. Cheap, young, local and a righty to boot. I'm guessing Av's fans didn't jump at this though.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Does Vancouver give up Edler if he is re-signed? Doubt it... Whole idea is he demands an absurd contract in UFA that he is obviously not worth.
Anything's possible. He is a valuable piece, but he will be behind Hamhuis as our top LD guy. I love him, and wouldn't want him traded, but for the right package, no one's untouchable, signed or unsigned.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Sign and trades are extremely rare. A Colorado-Vancouver trade even rarer. That both of them were to happen in a single trade is so unlikely that it's meaningless to discuss.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Edler try to get a NTC if Vancouver wants to re-sign him before the summer. He has a lot of leverage.

I don't think Avs have any intention of trading O'Reilly. He's just starting to show what he can do. I don't think Avs have any intention of trading Barrie. He's excelled at every stage and there is no reason to believe he can't be a very good NHL defenseman.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:31 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Anything's possible. He is a valuable piece, but he will be behind Hamhuis as our top LD guy. I love him, and wouldn't want him traded, but for the right package, no one's untouchable, signed or unsigned.
I'd think having Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Ballard with a pretty good goalie long term would be much more formidable than what Canucks would call an elite 3rd line center.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
I'd think having Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Ballard with a pretty good goalie long term would be much more formidable than what Canucks would call an elite 3rd line center.
agreed
I would like to see more of the top 4 Ballard that i saw nearing the end of last year to make edler talk even possible. Although I could see it happening unless we are willing to gamble on internally replacing our bottom pairing whih could easily halpen if Tanev and Cannauton's develop nicely (eventually Corrado )

I just don't think a trade is really there right now.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Cogburn

In response to Freudian:

I agree it's unlikely, with neither side likely wanting to do this, sign-and-trades being rare, and Colorado-Vancouver having little to no trade history, but I disagree about it being meaningless to discuss. We're in a horrible drought of hockey, I'd rather speculate on this then another Luongo (or in the case of Colorado, Statsny/Duchene trade...until we over do this).

Quote:
In all honesty, I envision Kesler on the left wing with O'Reilly centering and Booth back on RW.

And yes, a stronger D corps would be great, but Barrie, along with Tanev improving and younger players like Connauton and Sauve likely fighting for a spot, I think we're ok either way. Our system isn't super flattering to defenders as it is, so I value top six forwards more then top four defenders (which is less then he should be represented as, but the role he is playing here). Just me though.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
It's hard to evaluate which player will be better out of Barrie and Elliot and its hard to consider giving either up without having a firm assessment, even for a player of Edler's caliber, considering that they already moved Shattenkirk. Even if they pick up Edler they still will need good PMDs on the other pairings.

If we had to move Ryan, I'd do RoR + whichever of Elliot or Barrie management wants to move for a signed Edler in a vacuum. Given that its within the division, involves a guaranteed signing, and we most likely won't have any issues with O'reilly coming back its very unlikely. But if a trade had to be made, I'd definitely be looking for something like that.

EDIT: I think I recall someone on an earlier page mentioning something around Marc Staal, that's probably also a reasonable basis to go from.

Last edited by Nihiliste: 12-10-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
It's hard to evaluate which player will be better out of Barrie and Elliot and its hard to consider giving either up without having a firm assessment, even for a player of Edler's caliber, considering that they already moved Shattenkirk. Even if they pick up Edler they still will need good PMDs on the other pairings.

If we had to move Ryan, I'd do RoR + whichever of Elliot or Barrie management wants to move for a signed Edler in a vacuum. Given that its within the division, involves a guaranteed signing, and we most likely won't have any issues with O'reilly coming back its very unlikely. But if a trade had to be made, I'd definitely be looking for something like that.
Well I'm glad some of us are on the same page valuewise, likelihood of the trade aside. Given that both are local boys, both play right, and both seem to have similar scouting reports...either is fine with me.

I'd presume a similar condition in place for O'Reilly resigning with us though, even if we know the dollar value he's asking for.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:01 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Well I'm glad some of us are on the same page valuewise, likelihood of the trade aside. Given that both are local boys, both play right, and both seem to have similar scouting reports...either is fine with me.

I'd presume a similar condition in place for O'Reilly resigning with us though, even if we know the dollar value he's asking for.
O'Reilly isn't the type of player to hold out signing a contract because of the team.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
O'Reilly isn't the type of player to hold out signing a contract because of the team.
I meant nothing of the sort. Just as with Avalanche fans wanting to be able to get an agreement with Edler to resign, or have us resign him, before the trade, we want to make sure everything is set. Neither side would want to move a key piece to a rival (we are still rivals, right?) team without assurances that that the returning piece is interested in staying.