HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly on the move? (Mod-Warning Post#200)

Old
12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Radar won't be traded to a division rival.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:10 AM
PAZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Okay then. I have cleared this place to discuss what happens with Ryan O'Reilly. As well possibly figure out what's his value for all fan-bases during these lockout time. Was kind enough of just do a simple delete rather than infract, if there are bashing of posters, opinions and fan-bases. It will be an auto Threadban and infraction.

Cheers.
I thank you for this. Is there any way we can just end the Gardiner-O'Reilly talks here and delete future comments involving the two? It's clear that nothing is going to come from it besides a flamefest and other offers simply got buried.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I thank you for this. Is there any way we can just end the Gardiner-O'Reilly talks here and delete future comments involving the two? It's clear that nothing is going to come from it besides a flamefest and other offers simply got buried.
It was a legitimate question coming from a poster here. I, as a Leafs fan, wouldn't trade Jake Gardiner for Ryan O'Reilly simply because I believe Jake will reach his potential of being a top two d-man. Top two d-men are worth more than second line centres in today's NHL.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
It was a legitimate question coming from a poster here. I, as a Leafs fan, wouldn't trade Jake Gardiner for Ryan O'Reilly simply because I believe Jake will reach his potential of being a top two d-man. Top two d-men are worth more than second line centres in today's NHL.
I understand that at the start and i'm not complaining about the trade offer. I'm just talking about future discussions since nothing is going to come from it, considering it already took up the majority of this thread. It very well may be we look back in 5 years when Gardiner is a bonifided #1 and laugh at this thread, but in our current situation we'd prefer players that are a bit more seasoned (Josi, Vlasic, Staal, etc). Again, not saying all of them would be straight up, but we'd rather work around a trade involving them then taking a gamble on a rookie like Gardiner.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Nihiliste

I'm a big fan of both Gardiner and Josi and if necessary would be open to a deal surrounding one of these players.

However, I don't believe it will be necessary and believe Ryan will be back with the Avs when the lockout ends. I would much rather keep him than any alternative, and would trade either of our other centers over him any day of the week if we don't have to move him.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
What about a first line center?

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
What about a first line center?
I would certainly advocate for trading Jake Gardiner if it means acquiring a first line centre. But ROR is not the answer to that dilemma.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
I would certainly advocate for trading Jake Gardiner if it means acquiring a first line centre. But ROR is not the answer to that dilemma.
And Jake Gardiner isn't the answer to Colorado because he isn't a top pairing d-man.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:14 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
And Jake Gardiner isn't the answer to Colorado because he isn't a top pairing d-man.
ROR wouldn't return a top pairing d-man by himself anyways.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:15 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Young or older? Young, you are right, however you are missing the point. To say O'Reilly has peaked at a young age is as foolish as saying that Gardiner will never be able to play solid defense in the NHL.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
I disagree. He's a 21 year old whose already shown he has the potential to be at least a Selke candidate in the future.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:18 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I disagree. He's a 21 year old whose already shown he has the potential to be at least a Selke candidate in the future.
In a package with another significant piece, then okay, yes. Alone? Not a chance. If Colorado ever wanted to trade him away individually, the best they could hope for is someone like Jake Gardiner or another young player with significant potential.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Since the Chris Drury situation is vaguely similar to this one, his return:

Drury and Stephane Yelle returns Derek Morris, Dean McAmmond and Jeff Shantz. Since McAmmond and Shantz' net worth was less than worthless you have to ask yourself: Which player in the NHL today is comparable to Morris in 2002? That's what O'Reilly could be fetching.
A close comparison could be Keith Yandle with Yandle's value being a little higher than that of Derek Morris' from 2002.

Looking at it from purely a statistical point of view, Morris accumulated 163 points through 5 full seasons up until 2002 while Yandle accumulated 185 points. There would likely have to be other parts involved from one or both teams to even the value out.

Ryan O'Reilly would fit well with that Coyotes style of play.

untouchable21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Sedin
Kesler
ROR
Lapierre

Would be sweet, sweet depth down the middle.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Jake gardiner would look great with johnson. ROR + one of your many bottom pairind Dmen for gardiner + bozak

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Sedin
Kesler
ROR
Lapierre

it would be amazing but I would rather keep

Hamhuis Bieksa
edler garrison
Ballard Tanev

for now, because although I like Ballard, I don't want him to go into the top 4 without a safety net and if we moved up Tanev to play with garrison then We might end up with a Ballard-Connaughton pairing *shudder*

if everything went right (Ballard-Garrison becomes a legitimate second pairing and Tanev-Connauton take their chemistry and succeed in the nhl) we might be able to talk about ROR + for Edler

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Sedin
Kesler
ROR
Lapierre

Agreed. I wouldn't do your deal of Edler for ROR + 2nd, but I would think long and hard about it if that 2nd was swapped for an offensive D that could come step in and play right away. So Edler for ROR + Barrie, I guess.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Avs44

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Agreed. I wouldn't do your deal of Edler for ROR + 2nd, but I would think long and hard about it if that 2nd was swapped for an offensive D that could come step in and play right away. So Edler for ROR + Barrie, I guess.
A) Edler would have to be signed.

and

B) We won't be trading ROR in division.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Jake gardiner would look great with johnson. ROR + one of your many bottom pairind Dmen for gardiner + bozak
Johnson would look better with a top pairing d-man. Not a 2nd-3rd pairing offensive guy with potential.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post

and

A) Sure, doesn't change what I'd be looking for in return

B) If Chris Drury could be traded within the division I don't see why ROR can't.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Johnson would look better with a top pairing d-man. Not a 2nd-3rd pairing offensive guy with potential.
How would Gardiner be on the 3rd pairing? After his rookie season he's already a solid #3 not just on the Leafs but on other teams.

Plus he's not just "potential" call me a homer but if anything he may not become that #1 guy, and probably not but I just can't see him getting any worse at the least. But maybe that's just me. He's got tools such as IQ and skating that I can't see him regressing to a bottom pairing defencemen.

Last edited by frankthetank91: 12-09-2012 at 09:40 PM.
frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post

and

ROR does not have as much value as a signed edler, period

I think the no trading within division thing is overrated.

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Avs44

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
ROR does not have as much value as a signed edler, period

I think the no trading within division thing is overrated.
And you are kidding yourself if you think we would even consider ROR+Barrie for an unsigned Edler, period. You want something based around ROR and Edler, then its a signed Edler or nothing. We can always look elsewhere if we are forced to trade him. Trust me, we aren't jumping up and down at the thought of trading ROR in division. And if you don't want to do a signed Edler for ROR, that's fine. We really don't care.

Last edited by Avs44: 12-09-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:54 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
How would Gardiner be on the 3rd pairing? After his rookie season he's already a solid #3 not just on the Leafs but on other teams.

Plus he's not just "potential" call me a homer but if anything he may not become that #1 guy, and probably not but I just can't see him getting any worse at the least. But maybe that's just me. He's got tools such as IQ and skating that I can't see him regressing to a bottom pairing defencemen.
His defense makes him being a #3 much more debatable, hence the #4-5 comment.

He's a solid #3 on a terrible team. He was a pretty good player on a lottery team with room to grow, nothing more.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
TurdFerguson

The odds of O'Reilly getting traded are extremely low.

Case 1:
If the lockout ends this season, then he is an RFA and the Avs need to at least match the contract given in the KHL; at this point they can trade him. If the Avs do not, then either he stays in the KHL or another team offers him more and gives the Avs whatever compensation the new CBA stipulates. They may also trade his rights to another team, who then still needs to match the KHL contract.

Case 2:
If the lockout doesn't end this season, it is my understanding that O'Reilly would be a UFA when the new CBA is agreed upon (of course this is contingent on what the CBA states). Then any team may sign him, but it still must match his KHL contract.

So if he is traded, it would likely be for his rights as an RFA, which wouldn't be very valuable since the KHL contract must be high for the Avs to reject matching it.

TurdFerguson is online now   Reply With Quote