HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who is the next Willie Mitchell?

Old
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Many, many, many Canucks found a bit of joy in the Kings cup win because of Willie.

Fans absolutely loved him here. Me included.
Mitchell vs. Kesler was classic in the 2012 series.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Silfverberg Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Mitchell vs. Kesler was classic in the 2012 series.
Most disgusting display of sportsmanship by RK17 this season. I don't know why he began to play the way he did. It's beyond me ...

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Most disgusting display of sportsmanship by RK17 this season. I don't know why he began to play the way he did. It's beyond me ...

Just a hunch or opinion, but throughout his career Kesler drew a lot of penalties with his hustle, determination, and physical ability.

Penalties drawn per 60 minutes of 5v5 ice time:
2007-2008 - 2.1
2008-2009 - 1.2
2009-2010 - 1.9
2010-2011 - 1.5

Drawing penalties is very, very valuable - even the worst powerplay teams score on about 1/6th of their powerplays, and Vancouver is one of the best powerplay teams. Considering the Canucks can reliably score on ~1/5 of their powerplays, every 5 penalties Kesler draws is the equivalent of scoring a goal. A player who draws 50 penalties in a year (for a good powerplay team) is actually contributing an extra 10 goals for their team.

When you're good at drawing penalties, you start to slack a bit. You have a reputation for driving hard but staying within the rules, and you start to get calls an ordinary player wouldn't. It's a slippery slope as you continue to get the penalty calls on weaker and weaker infractions, until you get to the point where the refs catch on.

Last season Kesler drew 0.6 penalties per 60 minutes of 5v5 ice time. Clearly, the refs know something is up, and they aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore. They're actually penalizing Kesler in the sense that calls that should have actually been a penalty aren't getting called.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt Gillis knows this and sees the pattern, and I'm sure it will be addressed with him.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaKessel View Post
Mike Komisarek
EXACTLY what i thought.. i think someones gonna sign him @ league min, for 1 year and plays a top 4 role with that team

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:53 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
The Kings have a guy who fits the bill - Alec Martinez. Maybe not talking so much in terms of being a top defensive defenseman, but I can see him as a top 4 as soon as next year, and when he walks for better shores he will garner a 3-4 million dollar contract

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:37 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
The Kings have a guy who fits the bill - Alec Martinez. Maybe not talking so much in terms of being a top defensive defenseman, but I can see him as a top 4 as soon as next year, and when he walks for better shores he will garner a 3-4 million dollar contract
Pretty much. I think Alec is in a similar position to Goligoski when he was on the Pens. Hopefully when he moves on the Kings can score their own Neal....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNudge View Post
The next Willie Mitchell is Tinordi.
the last willie mitchell was probably tinordi too.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote