HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Mass Effect 4

Old
09-19-2012, 07:17 AM
villevalo

vCash: 500
Mass Effect 4

Whilst it might not be called 4, there is a new game already in the works.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/from-aaryn-flynn/

Quote:
MASS EFFECT – Executive Producer Casey Hudson and his team are coming off an amazing eight-year run with the Mass Effect trilogy. But they’re not done yet. We are releasing more multiplayer content and we have more single-player stories coming throughout the next six months, including Omega which is coming in the Fall. But the Mass Effect universe is vast, and Casey and our teams have plans for another full game. “Where to go next?” with such a project has been a question a lot of us have been asking, and we’d all love to hear your ideas.

BRAND NEW GAMES FROM BIOWARE – Both Dragon Age and Mass Effect started as single games but grew into vast universes. But we aren’t stopping there. While Casey continues to oversee the development of our new Mass Effect project, he and his leads are putting together their vision for an all new game set in a fictional universe, built from the bottom-up with all new gaming technology.
Regardless of that last 20 mins, I though ME was a fantastic series and I'm looking forward to where they go next. Although I'm not a big fan of prequels or any kind of ME flavored MMO style game.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Man, if SWTOR was a Mass Effect MMO it would be awesome.

I assume you will hide behind short walls and throw magic around corners. A large man in a reptile suit will say something in a low voice. Some girl will be sexy looking.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Probably my favourite IP/universe of all time. For fantasy, sci-fi, or anything else.

I'll buy it.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It will be interesting to see where they take the series now. Supposedly Shepard is done, so I wonder if they'll do a classic 3 class RPG or if they will make a new main character. That's if they decide to stick with a regular RPG rather than doing an MMO or something else.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Birko19

I'm definitely excited to see where they take the series next. I say fast forward a few hundred years post-Mass Effect 3 and start a whole new story, new threat to the universe, etc.

I suppose your choice of how you ended Mass Effect 3 could play a role in how the universe shapes up if you import your save file, but that might be too much to ask for.

Regardless, I'm excited.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Carlzner

ME1 is my favorite game of all time.

ME3 sucked.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

ME3 sucked.
ME1 had the best build up and story, but in terms of gameplay/graphics, not as advanced obviously.

I would assume that having a brand new story might bring that excitement that was around from ME1.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Birko19

For the record, not that it matters, but considering that the ME series has been built based on the Unreal 3 engine, we might see ME4 use the new Unreal 4 engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn...feature=relmfu

Old
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
It will be interesting to see where they take the series now. Supposedly Shepard is done, so I wonder if they'll do a classic 3 class RPG or if they will make a new main character. That's if they decide to stick with a regular RPG rather than doing an MMO or something else.
Well Mass Effect is a 6 class thing, with Combat Biotics Tech replacing Fighter Wizard Rogue. I can't see them doing anything out of the popular 3rd person shooter RPG hybrid they've been perfecting thus far.

I think a storyline version of the multiplayer might be interesting, something like Borderlands done in the Mass Effect universe, with different races and classes giving different bonuses. You level up and find loot while you and 3 friends co-op through some adventure in the Terminus systems or what have you.

Quote:
I'm definitely excited to see where they take the series next. I say fast forward a few hundred years post-Mass Effect 3 and start a whole new story, new threat to the universe, etc.

I suppose your choice of how you ended Mass Effect 3 could play a role in how the universe shapes up if you import your save file, but that might be too much to ask for.
Yeah, I was kind of troubled when I saw how divergent it went at the end. I knew it meant that they couldn't really do anything after it, because each of those choices is way too different in scope. Once they added the ELC you really actually saw how it kind of ends the series permanently, unless they go back on their design philosophy and just choose a canon ending.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
For the record, not that it matters, but considering that the ME series has been built based on the Unreal 3 engine, we might see ME4 use the new Unreal 4 engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn...feature=relmfu
Which will be great for fidelity, but not so good for our pockets. This is running on GTX 680 hardware. A $500 video card. As of now, there's no way that card makes it into the next Xbox or Playstation unless it's at least two generations off (2014+ introduction). Last rumors were that 6670 or in NVidia terms, GT 640-level hardware. These are $100 cards.

My gut tells me we won't see new consoles debut over $400, which almost guarantees we won't see anything but low-mid-level cards in the next consoles.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Clock

Quote:
Yeah, it's up there.

If they re-do the series, my wishlist:
- Seriously, make choices more consequential this time, or don't offer them in the first place if you're only going to disappoint.
- Bring back planetary exploration a la the first. Running around on the terrain was fun. Just provide a little more reason to do it, and develop mechanics to keep it interesting. This element of the first game really made it feel huge to me, though.
- Keep the combat elements from Mass Effect 3.
- Don't sacrifice an awesome single player game for the sake of hammering in co-op elements. I'd love co-op, but it's gotta be done right.
- Bring in some more RPG elements, or allow players who want that sort of experience to get it. ME3 touched on this - take it further.
- Make the player's ship upgradeable, and again, make that meaningful. Maybe that comes in the form of introducing space battles, or accessing areas of the galaxy that you otherwise wouldn't be able to because of better shields / better speed / stealth?

In general - make the game bigger and more open. Don't arcade-ize it.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Which will be great for fidelity, but not so good for our pockets. This is running on GTX 680 hardware. A $500 video card. As of now, there's no way that card makes it into the next Xbox or Playstation unless it's at least two generations off (2014+ introduction). Last rumors were that 6670 or in NVidia terms, GT 640-level hardware. These are $100 cards.

My gut tells me we won't see new consoles debut over $400, which almost guarantees we won't see anything but low-mid-level cards in the next consoles.
So long as you're able to release a game that runs on lower-spec PC/Console, it does not matter what engine you use. In fact, if you read their site, it specifically mentions that "Unreal Engine 4 enables you to achieve high-end visuals, while remaining both scalable and accessible to make games for low-spec PCs".

http://www.unrealengine.com/unreal_engine_4/

Old
09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Johnny LaRue

I absolutely loved ME2 and I am looking for an opportunity to play ME1. I just hated ME3 though. The ending was sooo bad. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

The rumour is that it is a prequel to the events from the trilogy.

Maybe the first contact war? And/or the Rachni War?

Really interested to see where they go with story from here (Mass Effect 3 ending).

Last edited by S E P H: 09-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Well, I think it was obvious that there would be no way that Bioware/EA would create such a complex universe (species,worlds, races etc...) and stop after 3 games. It will be interesting to see how they can create something as "epic" as the ME series though. My opinion ME2 was the best of the 3 but they were all great games minus the last 15 mins of ME3 and the shoehorned multiplayer (but really wrapping up Shepards story was never going to please everyone, its too bad it pleased almost no one).

I am looking forward to more of the ME universe though.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I really want a first contact prequel.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
I would honestly take anything. Prequel, sequel and everything and anything else in between.

Hell, I'd shell out for an update ME1. Same story, voice overs and all that but with a new engine/graphics.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
Quote:

ME3 sucked.
I feel the same. ME3 was bad enough to sour me on any future Mass Effect content. I will not be purchasing whatever this new ME game turns out to be.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I would honestly take anything. Prequel, sequel and everything and anything else in between.

Hell, I'd shell out for an update ME1. Same story, voice overs and all that but with a new engine/graphics.
I'd like to see more full scale remakes. Like 'shot-for-shot', same story, same core stuff, just with newer bells and whistles. The REmake is like the only example. ME1 with the ME3 combat, the better graphics engine, the better focus on cinematography over plain counterpoint dialogue shots. Improved Mako sections. That would be nice.

I don't see how it would be anything other than First Contact War. I think they were saving that for their movie hopes, but they might flush that for a game. I can't see how it would be anything other than basic third person squad shooter though; only humans, no biotic powers.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I just re-played the series over the summer, and aside from the ending of the 3rd one, it's so awesome

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:35 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
i learned from the me3 fail, if they try to dhlc this game to death i wont buy it. actually this game helped me realize what scum the dhlc really is, its more than a little rip off, lack of story&quality so u have to buy additional parts ?! hell no.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

The only paid dlc for me3 is Leviathan.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really want a first contact prequel.
Oh man, a first contact RPG... I really hope it's not an Action Adventure like the last 2.

Exploration, choices, lots of items and loot instead of obly a few specific guns like the last 2... Please.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus Vakarian View Post
The only paid dlc for me3 is Leviathan.
From Ashes as well. It was only free in the Collector's Edition.

Quote:
Exploration, choices, lots of items and loot instead of obly a few specific guns like the last 2... Please.
There were 4 guns in the original; the pistol, the shotgun, the assault rifle, and the sniper rifle. Every single one of them, no matter the stats, fired exactly the same. That's not different, that's just numbers. There were about a dozen or fifteen guns in the sequel, and there are 30 or 40 different guns in the third. That's way better.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I don't know where to put this, but did anyone else read that the first Mass Effect will be coming out on the PS3? I've never played it so I'll finally get a chance.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote