HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Best phone options for a Canadian travelling to the States?

Old
12-09-2012, 11:47 AM
GIN ANTONIC

vCash: 500
Best phone options for a Canadian travelling to the States?

Hey guys,

My apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search but couldn't find anything super current that pertains to my situation. So long story short, my GF lives in Vancouver. I live in Toronto (don't ask, that's another thread). Anyway, she's going on business to Chicago in a couple of weeks and she's freaking out because we won't be able to constantly text like she's accustomed to. She just got a new company phone, Blackberry Curve 9360 and the provider is Bell.

So basically just wondering what the best option is for getting her phone to work in the states. I've heard of getting a US sim card with a pay as you go plan but maybe the phone needs to be unlocked for that? I'm pretty sure hers is not and I can't see her being able to figure that out on her own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by GIN ANTONIC: 12-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.
GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

http://freemyblackberry.com/

Get the phone unlocked here, and then have her pick up a SIM card while in the states that would work with it. AT&T or T-Mobile would be the best bets.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

? Why doesn't she just add unlmt Roaming text for $40?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
guest1467

If she is on business can she not get the company to pay for it?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:04 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Le Tricolore
http://freemyblackberry.com/

Get the phone unlocked here, and then have her pick up a SIM card while in the states that would work with it. AT&T or T-Mobile would be the best bets.
How would one find out their IMEI number. I don't think she even knows what that is. I'm a Galaxy user so this is kind of out of my jurisdiction. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
? Why doesn't she just add unlmt Roaming text for $40?
Company phone. I don't think she has the option to add on even if she pays for it. It's pretty dumb since I don't know how they expect her to go to a business conference and not use her phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
If she is on business can she not get the company to pay for it?
The company is very, very stupid.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
guest1467

There are places she can go all over Vancouver that will unlock her phone for her.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 831
If all she needs is text, why doesn't she just get the cheapest burner phone she can find in the states? i.e. the prepaid phones you can get at gas-stations, etc. You could probably find one with a decent international texting rate. Plus it'll make her feel like a bad ass to snap it in half and toss it when she's done.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:32 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There are places she can go all over Vancouver that will unlock her phone for her.
I'm working on it. She's freaking out now because she thinks the company will find out she unlocked the phone and it will get her in trouble. Apparently one of the higher ups at the company that monitors phone activity. Is it even possible that they would find out. Would they even care? She's gonna ask the IT guy at the company christmas party tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
If all she needs is text, why doesn't she just get the cheapest burner phone she can find in the states? i.e. the prepaid phones you can get at gas-stations, etc. You could probably find one with a decent international texting rate. Plus it'll make her feel like a bad ass to snap it in half and toss it when she's done.
Yeah, I suppose that's as option. We both go to the states a few times each year so I guess we're looking for a bit more permanent solution though.

Last edited by GIN ANTONIC: 12-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
How would one find out their IMEI number. I don't think she even knows what that is. I'm a Galaxy user so this is kind of out of my jurisdiction. Lol.
http://crackberry.com/finding-your-p...ion-blackberry

Also, this probably isn't what you're looking for, but there are dual-SIM card phones out there - you can find some of them relatively cheap. But I'd probably just go the unlock route, and swap SIM's once in awhile, or go the cheap second phone route.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:42 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 0
We travel down to Florida at least once or twice a year and we always stop at Target or somewhere like that to pick up a cheap disposable. It's always worked great for us!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
We travel down to Florida at least once or twice a year and we always stop at Target or somewhere like that to pick up a cheap disposable. It's always worked great for us!
The problem I'm thinking with the disposables is texts/calls back to Canada. I can't see that being that cheap. What kind of prices are we talking about?

Old
12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
The problem I'm thinking with the disposables is texts/calls back to Canada. I can't see that being that cheap. What kind of prices are we talking about?
A lot cheaper than getting fired for unlocking a company phone

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Dave

Quote:
Hey guys,

My apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search but couldn't find anything super current that pertains to my situation. So long story short, my GF lives in Vancouver. I live in Toronto (don't ask, that's another thread). Anyway, she's going on business to Chicago in a couple of weeks and she's freaking out because we won't be able to constantly text like she's accustomed to. She just got a new company phone, Blackberry Curve 9360 and the provider is Bell.

So basically just wondering what the best option is for getting her phone to work in the states. I've heard of getting a US sim card with a pay as you go plan but maybe the phone needs to be unlocked for that? I'm pretty sure hers is not and I can't see her being able to figure that out on her own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Why don't you buy her a Nexus4 for christmas, unlocked phone from google costs either $310 or $360 for 8gb and 16gb, respectively.

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:25 PM
CloudReader

Quote:
http://businessportals.verizonwirele...pay/index.html

You can get a prepaid dumb phone at a Verizon Wireless store, Best Buy or Walmart for cheap. Every time, you travel to the States, buy a $5-$25 prepaid Verizon card at these stores, or fill up on the internet.

I've tried AT&T prepaid 2 years ago, Verizon had better coverage. I don't know what it's like nowadays.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

get a wifi app and text for free? im sure the hotel, places shes doing business will have wifi she can use

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
get a wifi app and text for free? im sure the hotel, places shes doing business will have wifi she can use
Or use BBM7 to make free Wi-Fi Voice Calls.

Or just use BBM instead of Texting.

Neely2005 is online now   Reply With Quote