HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Metroid Movie

Old
12-08-2012, 01:07 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Metroid Movie

I recently watched a playthrough of Metroid and Super Metroid, and delved into the Metroid wiki. I really think the SNES game is the best of them all, but in any event I'm fascinated with the story.

Do you think a movie about Metroid would work? I think it would have to be encompassing all parts of the series because it might be difficult to make a movie based on, say for example, the story in the SNES timeline. Although it has a good start and culminates with an epic battle vs Mother Brain and an escape of Cebes I would think it would be difficult to develop filler plot with Samus going around shooting things.

Any interest in a movie?

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:01 PM
blue425

You sir have impeccable timing, I am listening to Metroid music as I type this.

I feel a Metroid movie could work much in the same way I think a Bioshock movie could.

It would ultimately depend on two things: A competent writer with a strong script and a solid director. If I had to choose one I would take the strong script over a solid director....unless Uwe Boll was slated to direct That being said I also think an original story might also work as opposed to a re imagining of an adventure we have already taken.

And yes the SNES version is still the best of the series.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Metroid would only work as an experimental film. It would not work as a blockbuster.

BioShock could work as a blockbuster. Specifically one directed by the Wachowskis.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Metroid would only work as an experimental film. It would not work as a blockbuster.

BioShock could work as a blockbuster. Specifically one directed by the Wachowskis.
I think it could work as a blockbuster but they'd have to depart from the game's story by quite a bit.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:00 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I always found Metroid and Zelda to be some of the easier, conceptually, to turn into a film franchise.

Metroid can be a sci-fi action thriller easily. Keep the general creepiness of the lore and throw in hot chick in a power suit? Box office hit.

Zelda could be a great fantasy movie. I remember someone did a mock trailer for a Zelda film and it convinced me it could be done and done well.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:55 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I think it could work as a blockbuster but they'd have to depart from the game's story by quite a bit.
This is unfortunately true in order for it to appeal to target markets. They'd probably have to make a sidekick for Samus, or even make villians like Phantoon played by humans like Johnny Depp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I always found Metroid and Zelda to be some of the easier, conceptually, to turn into a film franchise.

Metroid can be a sci-fi action thriller easily. Keep the general creepiness of the lore and throw in hot chick in a power suit? Box office hit.

Zelda could be a great fantasy movie. I remember someone did a mock trailer for a Zelda film and it convinced me it could be done and done well.
Zelda could also be a good one. Story is right there...only thing I had a problem w/ for the SNES version is why did it take time to zap the princesses back into the dark world? Why didn't he just do 'em all in one night ?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I don't think it would work as a blockbuster unless they completely overhauled everything.

Not enough story and dialogue to hold the general moviegoers attention, they would have to Michael-Bay-it-up a lot or add in a bunch of crappy narrative.

I think Zelda would be a much easier franchise to adapt.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
they would have to Michael-Bay-it-up a lot
or Simon West-it, however I certainly do not consider Simon West a blockbuster director

Old
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I think you guys are overrating the literary qualities of these games. They work as games because they're direct and heavily archetypical. But they are driven by the completion of tasks rather than the motivations of characters. Link and Samus are ciphers, and pure avatars for a person to collect the necessary MacGuffins to see the end credits; that won't play in a traditionally shot movie. People watch Indiana Jones movies to see Indy face conflicts and solve them because his personality and characterization makes it appealing, that doesn't work when there is no personality or characterization.

I think a Metroid movie with no dialogue, and little to no characterization could work. As an experimental film that relies more on establishing mood rather than exploring characters and plot, because the moment you make it a movie about characters and plot (a traditional movie) the wheels fall off. It ceases to be Metroid, and now it's just a blockbuster that features Metroid's artistic design.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
blue425

Quote:

I think a Metroid movie with no dialogue, and little to no characterization could work. As an experimental film that relies more on establishing mood rather than exploring characters and plot, because the moment you make it a movie about characters and plot (a traditional movie) the wheels fall off. It ceases to be Metroid, and now it's just a blockbuster that features Metroid's artistic design.
I'm picturing Samus exploring the derelict craft on LV-426 for some reason. I think part of the reason is Alien nails the feeling of isolation.

It will probably never happen, but we can dream.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Mischa
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 162
Quote:
Agreed otherwise you get Other M the movie

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think you guys are overrating the literary qualities of these games. They work as games because they're direct and heavily archetypical. But they are driven by the completion of tasks rather than the motivations of characters. Link and Samus are ciphers, and pure avatars for a person to collect the necessary MacGuffins to see the end credits; that won't play in a traditionally shot movie. People watch Indiana Jones movies to see Indy face conflicts and solve them because his personality and characterization makes it appealing, that doesn't work when there is no personality or characterization.

Yeah the focus of the Metroid games just wouldn't translate to a traditional movie without horribly butchering it. While Metroid certainly has some Alien's like moments, it's primarily an action/adventure platformer with a heavy emphasis on exploration and finding upgrades. That's not something you can really make a movie out of.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:18 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Never played Metroid, but I did play its clone Turricane 1 and 2 on the Amiga 500

Great game too

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

If they did, it'd have to be related to the Metroid Prime Trilogy

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
If they did, it'd have to be related to the Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid Prime is vastly inferior to the main series and does nothing for Samus as a character.

As for a Metroid movie, the best way to handle it would be as follows:

Movie 1: Metroid (based upon Metroid Zero Mission and 2)
- Establish Samus and her relationship with Ridley (Origin will have to be Ridley killing her parents and the Chozo saving her)
- Since Samus is generally a loner, I'd implement the marines from the Other M here, particularly a nameless squad of red shirts and Adam as well as the Hunters from corruption to serve as compareables to Samus.
- Samus + the marines go to her home planet because of a distress call (plot from Metroid 1)
- Fight 1 with Ridley, elevator shaft battle from Corruption, she gets saved by Adam because she can't fight well suffering from Post Traumatic stress
- Marines + Sammy find Chozo armory, she gets a power boost
- Kraid
- Metroid breeding facility where all of the crew that isn't Samus dies
- Norfair + Ridley
- Samus suffers PTS again, fights through it
- Ridley "dies" and she finds one last egg, baby metroid, which imprints on her, which she takes and brings to a space research facility
- Stinger: Giant glass tube with an eye opening up

Movie 2: Super Metroid (based upon, well, it's obvious)
- Samus gets called to space research facility, finds Ridley stealing baby Metroid
-Samus chases Ridley to Super Metroid planet
- Runs into Bounty Hunters from Corruption at various points
- Fights Phantoon + Draygon
- Kills Ridley, no longer is afraid of him (again)
- Mother brain + Baby metroid goodness
- Facility goes boom
- Stinger: a Samus doppleganger forms

Movie 3: Metroid Dread (based upon Fusion)
- Establish X Parasite
- Samus gets her ass kicked by SaX
- Adam is sentinent AI of facility she is in
- Bounty Hunters return, save her, put her in revitalization chamber while they chase SaX
- Samus wakes up to Nightmare attacking where she is, finds out facility is trying to crash itself
- Finds out her friends are now corrupted by SaX
- Kills them
- Can't prevent crash, finds out facility is trying to create an omega metroid
- Fights SaX only to find out it's trying to amass power to kill a pissed off Omega Metroid
- Samus fights Omega Metroid and SaX sacrifices itself so Samus has it's power
- Samus wins, hightails it out of there

While I can go into much, much, much, much more detail. That is the only way to do the trilogy right. And I used the only good part of the Prime games too!

As far as it being possible to make: It is certainly possible. An extremely skilled director and writer would need to be chosen though, because Samus is a character that needs to be written a very specific way, and the movie itself needs to involve a bit of Horror, Action and Adventure without sacrificing her character.

I mean, Samus has motherly instincts (baby Metroid) but her closest human relationships were Adam (her human mentor) and Ghandrya (who pretty much was in love with Samus, but Samus always looked perplexed)

This moment needs to be on film though, it's horrifying:

which leads to..

(Ridley does not necessarily need to speak for these moments to come across though)

Last edited by Orpheus: 12-10-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:22 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Metroid Prime is vastly inferior to the main series and does nothing for Samus as a character.

As for a Metroid movie, the best way to handle it would be as follows:

Movie 1: Metroid (based upon Metroid Zero Mission and 2)
- Establish Samus and her relationship with Ridley (Origin will have to be Ridley killing her parents and the Chozo saving her)
- Since Samus is generally a loner, I'd implement the marines from the Other M here, particularly a nameless squad of red shirts and Adam as well as the Hunters from corruption to serve as compareables to Samus.
- Samus + the marines go to her home planet because of a distress call (plot from Metroid 1)
- Fight 1 with Ridley, elevator shaft battle from Corruption, she gets saved by Adam because she can't fight well suffering from Post Traumatic stress
- Marines + Sammy find Chozo armory, she gets a power boost
- Kraid
- Metroid breeding facility where all of the crew that isn't Samus dies
- Norfair + Ridley
- Samus suffers PTS again, fights through it
- Ridley "dies" and she finds one last egg, baby metroid, which imprints on her, which she takes and brings to a space research facility
- Stinger: Giant glass tube with an eye opening up

Movie 2: Super Metroid (based upon, well, it's obvious)
- Samus gets called to space research facility, finds Ridley stealing baby Metroid
-Samus chases Ridley to Super Metroid planet
- Runs into Bounty Hunters from Corruption at various points
- Fights Phantoon + Draygon
- Kills Ridley, no longer is afraid of him (again)
- Mother brain + Baby metroid goodness
- Facility goes boom
- Stinger: a Samus doppleganger forms

Movie 3: Metroid Dread (based upon Fusion)
- Establish X Parasite
- Samus gets her ass kicked by SaX
- Adam is sentinent AI of facility she is in
- Bounty Hunters return, save her, put her in revitalization chamber while they chase SaX
- Samus wakes up to Nightmare attacking where she is, finds out facility is trying to crash itself
- Finds out her friends are now corrupted by SaX
- Kills them
- Can't prevent crash, finds out facility is trying to create an omega metroid
- Fights SaX only to find out it's trying to amass power to kill a pissed off Omega Metroid
- Samus fights Omega Metroid and SaX sacrifices itself so Samus has it's power
- Samus wins, hightails it out of there

While I can go into much, much, much, much more detail. That is the only way to do the trilogy right. And I used the only good part of the Prime games too!

As far as it being possible to make: It is certainly possible. An extremely skilled director and writer would need to be chosen though, because Samus is a character that needs to be written a very specific way, and the movie itself needs to involve a bit of Horror, Action and Adventure without sacrificing her character.

I mean, Samus has motherly instincts (baby Metroid) but her closest human relationships were Adam (her human mentor) and Ghandrya (who pretty much was in love with Samus, but Samus always looked perplexed)

This moment needs to be on film though, it's horrifying:

which leads to..

(Ridley does not necessarily need to speak for these moments to come across though)
This is an amazing analysis and I agree that there could be much more detail to fulfill a plot. The one thing that I would build around is the end battle with mother brain - a pure action sequence of mother brain developing into the gigantic, overpowering being that Samus has to fight. It makes me think of Luke Skywalker versus the Rancor Pit monster. If you throw in the baby Metroid taking mother brain's energy and then resupplying it to Samus I think it would make for an awesome ending - especially if Samus developed emotion for seeing the baby Metroid die. It's not like the metroid would have a facial expression but I still think it has the potential for an awesome ending.

In order to keep the plot from getting too dry you could take Zero Mission, Metroid II, and the SNES metroid game into one movie. That would be, initial fight w/ mother brain, discovering the baby metroid and taking it to the scientists (a lot could happen there - almost like Tom Hanks and Wilson in Castaway), then the spacestation fight w/ Ridley, and ending with the second mother brain battle.

Where do you see those comics of metroid and the initial development of Ridley / Samus's relationship?

Old
12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
This is an amazing analysis and I agree that there could be much more detail to fulfill a plot. The one thing that I would build around is the end battle with mother brain - a pure action sequence of mother brain developing into the gigantic, overpowering being that Samus has to fight. It makes me think of Luke Skywalker versus the Rancor Pit monster. If you throw in the baby Metroid taking mother brain's energy and then resupplying it to Samus I think it would make for an awesome ending - especially if Samus developed emotion for seeing the baby Metroid die. It's not like the metroid would have a facial expression but I still think it has the potential for an awesome ending.

In order to keep the plot from getting too dry you could take Zero Mission, Metroid II, and the SNES metroid game into one movie. That would be, initial fight w/ mother brain, discovering the baby metroid and taking it to the scientists (a lot could happen there - almost like Tom Hanks and Wilson in Castaway), then the spacestation fight w/ Ridley, and ending with the second mother brain battle.

Where do you see those comics of metroid and the initial development of Ridley / Samus's relationship?
There's more than enough in Zero Mission/Metroid 2 to keep the plot going for a whole movie, and the reason I didn't include mother brain in the first movie is because Ridley is really Samus' true rival, and having a fight after Ridley would feel odd. He's also the leader of the space pirates, and the first movie to be done right would really need to show Samus' origin (training with bird, then colony life) so I bumped Mother Brain back to movie 2.

Super Metroid also has a lot of plot, as well as a bunch of new villains, so I wanted to interject things like Phantoon and Myridia just because of how different they are. Plus a lot of Super Metroid would be needed to develop the relationship with the baby more, because it's very mother/daughter and needs proper development for the payoff to be as good as the games.

As for your fight about the fight with Mother Brain..lol that's what she is. She's a giant overpowered monster that Samus is no match for (in Super) until the baby comes along.

Don't forget Samus is much smaller than Mother Brain:

The official Metroid manga can be found over at
http://mangafox.me/manga/metroid/

(Dont forget its a manga, read from right to left)

A LOT of the elements of the manga were put into the games, Other M specifically (like Samus being mentally damaged, unable to fight Ridley) but the execution was horrible.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:50 PM
leova

as long as it has Samus changing clothes/costumes gratuitously, i'd watch it

there, i said what we're all thinking

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

One thing I wanted to say earlier that I totally spaced on is that the Links and Samus are not even remotely comparable character wise, aside from the fact they both belong to Nintendo.

It's actually kind of scary someone would think they are considering Samus has so much back story and is a singular character, and the Links are well..linked by wearing the same clothes and fighting a giant pig..sometimes.

Just proves how terrible Nintendo is at dealing with their adult characters.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
as long as it has Samus changing clothes/costumes gratuitously, i'd watch it

there, i said what we're all thinking
Pervert!

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:19 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
One thing I wanted to say earlier that I totally spaced on is that the Links and Samus are not even remotely comparable character wise, aside from the fact they both belong to Nintendo.

It's actually kind of scary someone would think they are considering Samus has so much back story and is a singular character, and the Links are well..linked by wearing the same clothes and fighting a giant pig..sometimes.

Just proves how terrible Nintendo is at dealing with their adult characters.
Fair point, but then you could argue that in order for a director to hold true to the story that Link has too much plot for 1 movie.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Fair point, but then you could argue that in order for a director to hold true to the story that Link has too much plot for 1 movie.
Well yea, you have to introduce the concept of more than one link and zelda at some point, and that the multiple links aren't always in love with zelda, and sometimes zelda isnt even around and you are cramming 10-15 hour games into movies.

Whereas Metroid is designed to be beaten in ~2 hours via a skilled gamer, you can cover a lot more of the plot and actually add really significant moments by trimming the non-stop action of the game played at that rate.

Anytime you add time travel to the mix and multiple time lines, you are pretty much in plot hell, which is what Zelda is, even with the triple timeline laid out..lol. I mean, it would be akin to trying to film Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger..you'd just leave out way too much.

I do have to say though, Zelda might make a great serialized TV show if they ever took it seriously, which would be never. And I actually like the 80s cartoon

Old
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I remember there was talk about someone having bought the film rights to Metroid back when Metroid Prime was new. Not exactly a shock that nothing has come from it.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

The female actress they got would probably ruin the promise.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:20 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

I really wish these could be put into a mini-series, if not a movie. And I'm not talking the existing cartoon series', but a REALLY GOOD mini-series. This way you could pack in all the necessary plot while maintaining the gripping audience-attention-holding action. Now that I think about it I wonder if Sci-Fi channel would do a mini-series? I think they could provide the required special effects.