HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Connor Murphy (Sarnia Sting / Phoenix Coyotes)

Old
08-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Kris Verstig
Some say...

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kris Verstig
D Connor Murphy (Sarnia Sting / Phoenix Coyotes)

What's the story with this guy? I know he has top 4 potential but the real question i'm interested in is his injury status. Will the prior injuries (back and knee) cause issues in the future, or was it just pure bad luck from a bad hit or something that caused them?

Kris Verstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Xokkeu

The back issue was a stress fracture caused in the weight room during the offseason. He then reinjured the same injury. The knee injury was more of an unfortunate fluke collision during practice. So the good news is that the two aren't related. (perhaps the back injury could have caused weakness in the knee but I doubt it).

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Kris Verstig
Some say...

Send a message via MSN to Kris Verstig
So could that stress fracture be a problem in the future, or is it just an injury that he aggrevated and should go away now? I don't know much about how these injuries can be caused/repeated.

Kris Verstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

He's not an exceptionally physical player despite good size, so I don't thnk there's much risk of him wearing down conventionally. He's a very good two-way prospect so hopefully he holds up.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Love him as a player. Just wish he could stay healthy and get more consistent minutes.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verstig View Post
So could that stress fracture be a problem in the future, or is it just an injury that he aggrevated and should go away now? I don't know much about how these injuries can be caused/repeated.
You're guess is as good as mine. He could have a structural issue (not saying he does) or it could be a freak thing that didn't heal properly.

He did rehab that knee injury, and reports were that he was in tip top shape, so that's probably a good sign.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
puckfan13

What's going with Murphy this year? Just looking at his stats with the 3 pts and -6 at this point of the season, was wondering what the story behind that was.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:47 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

He plays on a piss poor Sarnia Squad that does not know what defense is.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
He plays on a piss poor Sarnia Squad that does not know what defense is.
Murphy is also a reason as to why Sarnia's defense is so terrible, IMO... He has some good-great moments but other times he is just a turnover machine. He has ways to go in his defensive play.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:33 AM
That

Murphy had a great start to the season. He was all over the ice, playing physical and playing very solid defence. He was also carrying the puck extremely well. But then it just went all down hill. He has had some nice flashes offensively, but he can't keep the puck on his stick. He shoots it up the boards without looking, and he holds on the puck far too long. Lately, he's been a turnover machine. He's also had some trouble staying on his skates, he slips or loses an edge more often than normal.

To be fair though, Sarnia is a terrible team. Much worse than I expected they would be. There defence is absolutely horrible and they get little help from the their forwards.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
As another Hab fan watching Sarnia closely this year, Murphy's probably been their best overall D. Unfortunately that's not saying a whole lot. He's had ups and downs like the rest of the team, but I like the way he plays. I think he'd do a lot better on a better team, if that's not stating the obvious.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:06 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Sarnia is 100% different from last year... They lost alot...

Murphy has less guns to feed and has more work to do...

This is the perfect time for him to work on his defensive game.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I can certainly tell that none of you watch Sarnia with these comments.

Murphy has been easily Sarnia's best and most consistent defenseman this year. They aren't the most defensive team but to call this "piss poor" is ignorant.

Murphy has been exceptional in games and his stats aren't telling any part of the story. He logs a ton of minutes and defensively is one of the smartest defenders in the OHL. As with most junior players, he will make some turnovers but compared to others at this level it's not even close.

Watch the games and stop basing everything on stat tracking. There's been a lot of improvement in his game especially defensively this season.

BTW, Sarnia is actually a better "team" than they were last year. Much harder working and they have players that player better defined roles.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post

Murphy has been easily Sarnia's best and most consistent defenseman this year. They aren't the most defensive team but to call this "piss poor" is ignorant.

Murphy has been exceptional in games and his stats aren't telling any part of the story. He logs a ton of minutes and defensively is one of the smartest defenders in the OHL. As with most junior players, he will make some turnovers but compared to others at this level it's not even close.

Watch the games and stop basing everything on stat tracking. There's been a lot of improvement in his game especially defensively this season.

BTW, Sarnia is actually a better "team" than they were last year. Much harder working and they have players that player better defined roles.
Come on man. If you're calling Murphy "exceptional" and saying he's one the "smartest defenders in the OHL", I'm going to have wonder if you're watching the games.

I agree with best and most consistent - but with the caveat that, like I said before, that still isn't a glowing review. He's been the best of a pretty average bunch.

Last edited by hototogisu: 10-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.
hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

As a team Sarnia may be better... But skill wise no where close.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
That

Quote:

Really? I've seen every game that Sarnia has played this year except on Oct 6th against Sault Ste Marie. On top of that I caught a ton of Sarnia games during the second half of last season. So yes, I feel rather informed on my opinion of Connor Murphy.

He's definitely been better offensively than the 3 points that he's gotten, though.

I definitely agree with what hototogisu said. He has been Sarnia's best and most consistent defenceman, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
You're guess is as good as mine. He could have a structural issue (not saying he does) or it could be a freak thing that didn't heal properly.

He did rehab that knee injury, and reports were that he was in tip top shape, so that's probably a good sign.
It was a training issue. Improper technique that caused the issues in the past.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:45 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:

I've watched every game and I agree with everything That and Hototogisu said. Connor Murphy has been up and down all year. He's been the best of that unit, but that unit has been an absolute train wreck at times. He's got good potential but needs to be more consistent and smarter with the puck.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
jfb392

Quote:
StingHockey The Sarnia Sting have announced that defenceman Connor Murphy will require season ending knee surgery to repair a lateral meniscus tear.
http://twitter.com/StingHockey/statu...33938475249664

Quote:
StingHockey Murphy suffered the injury in the final game of the World Jr's . An MRI performed in Arizona yesterday revealed the extent of injury.
http://twitter.com/StingHockey/statu...34277974781952

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250

Terrible news. He simply cannot catch a break it seems.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Xokkeu

This kid seems to be made of glass.

Hopefully it's just a condition issue, or some absurdly bad luck, and not structural.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Really had a good showing at the WJC. Shame about the injury. Might've been a mistake to forego the NCAA. Looks like he's going to need a degree afterall. I don't think he can make a career out of zero to thirty games per season.

EDIT: He's averaged 31gp in the last four seasons.

Last edited by rt: 01-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Devs4life

He's ALMOST reached Adrian Foster injury proportions. He can shoot for that next year

Devs4life is offline   Reply With Quote