HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016 NHL Draft Prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
  #1
JFA87-66-99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016 NHL Draft Prospects

So there's some really great prospects on the horizon. I know its early and things can change very fast but how would a combined ranking look if basing of NHL potential. I'm thinking something along these lines, but I'd like too see what some of you guys think who have more insight than I do?

Just kind of a rough guess

1) Connor McDavid, 2015
2) Sean Day, 2016
3) Seth Jones, 2013
4) Aaron Ekblad, 2014
5) Nathan MacKinnon, 2013
6) William Nylander, 2014
7) Mathew Barzal, 2015
8) Alexander Barkov, 2013
9) Tyler Benson, 2016
10) Alexsei Saarela, 2015

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
  #2
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
I think this thread will be a mess...But I do want to learn more about the 2016 guys.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  #3
canovin
Klefbom's charm
 
canovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: McDougall School
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
I think it will be a battle between McDavid and Sean Day. I saw some clips of him on TSN. Incredibly gifted skater for his size. Already at an elite level at his age. I can't imagine how good he will be.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
  #4
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
considering ty benson might get exceptional status i'd have to put him over mackinnon at this point.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
  #5
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
considering ty benson might get exceptional status i'd have to put him over mackinnon at this point.
Disagree, this guy is 14 playing in a obscure bantam AAA league. It is waaaay to early to tell on this kid. Nate Mackinnon has proven to be unreal in the QMJHL. So much can happen in 4 years

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
  #6
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,095
vCash: 133
I guess the hype around Josh Ho-Sang has died down a bit?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
  #7
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Disagree, this guy is 14 playing in a obscure bantam AAA league. It is waaaay to early to tell on this kid. Nate Mackinnon has proven to be unreal in the QMJHL. So much can happen in 4 years
true but he's destroying the same league ty rattie did at a much higher rate, havent seen a guy like this come out of the west, so much can happen, this guy might either a. not be anywhere close to mackinnon, b. much better than him, who knows, all i know is i've heard the hype for this kid much before mackinnon.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
  #8
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
This thread will probably be pretty funny in a few years.

If it was me I'd be ranking McDavid 1, and 2-3 would be MacKinnon/Jones simply based on the fact that they are proven and have maintained elite prospect status over the past 4 years.

We must remember that MacKinnon was compared to Crosby, Jones, to Pronger etc. when they were younger and both have been under the microscope for a long time.

Putting Benson above MacKinnon at this point would be silly.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
  #9
HopefulCoach
Registered User
 
HopefulCoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Disagree, this guy is 14 playing in a obscure bantam AAA league. It is waaaay to early to tell on this kid. Nate Mackinnon has proven to be unreal in the QMJHL. So much can happen in 4 years
obscure might be a little understated... Its the AMBHL, the top level for 13 and 14 year old players in all of Alberta.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
  #10
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post

Putting Benson above MacKinnon at this point would be silly.
so would putting sean day ahead of seth jones, but this topic about potential, so i think tyler benson has a higher potential mackinnon, just my opinion.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
  #11
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,888
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I guess the hype around Josh Ho-Sang has died down a bit?
A bit. Reinhart's missing from this list for 2014 too.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:17 PM
  #12
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulCoach View Post
obscure might be a little understated... Its the AMBHL, the top level for 13 and 14 year old players in all of Alberta.
Wrong word choice, but its not known for producing top nhl prospects. It has produced Jbow and Ennis (I think) but Ontario and BC leagues are better.

Most Benson scouting reports note how he is killing his league but dont talk to much about being the next big thing. Im going to watch Benson at the John Reid Memorial so ill get a better look at him

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
  #13
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
so would putting sean day ahead of seth jones, but this topic about potential, so i think tyler benson has a higher potential mackinnon, just my opinion.
Just like MacKinnon had the potential to be the best player since Crosby. The shiny new toy effect always comes into play on HF.

I'm not saying Benson won't be the better player, but MacKinnon was also a prodigy at 14, ESPN even had a story on him. The fact that he has maintained that status shows a lot. Benson still has a lot to prove.

EDIT: Also, how many times have you seen Benson live? Or MacKinnon for that matter? Did you watch him dominate when he was 14 to have a comparable to Benson now?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
  #14
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Just like MacKinnon had the potential to be the best player since Crosby. The shiny new toy effect always comes into play on HF.

I'm not saying Benson won't be the better player, but MacKinnon was also a prodigy at 14, ESPN even had a story on him. The fact that he has maintained that status shows a lot. Benson still has a lot to prove.

EDIT: Also, how many times have you seen Benson live? Or MacKinnon for that matter? Did you watch him dominate when he was 14 to have a comparable to Benson now?
never heard about mackinnon when he was 14, i had heard of crosby however, their totals in the Q will show the difference in where they're games were at at the same age, mackinnon has an awesome linemate in drouin as well, i've never seen macknnon live, only watched games on tv due to vicinity, i've seen benson play live twice, haven't seen a 14 year old play like that before.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
  #15
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
never heard about mackinnon when he was 14, i had heard of crosby however, their totals in the Q will show the difference in where they're games were at at the same age, mackinnon has an awesome linemate in drouin as well, i've never seen macknnon live, only watched games on tv due to vicinity, i've seen benson play live twice, haven't seen a 14 year old play like that before.
MacKinnon isn't Crosby, that wasn't my point. I'm just pointing out that on HF everyone was calling him the next big thing from the time he was 14. You can go check the archives, or just google his name and you'll find articles from 2008 about his dominace and similarities to Crosby.

Also, MacKinnon put up 49 points in 29 games as a 16 year old in the Q before Drouin even came to Halifax, so he is by no means a product of Drouin.

Maybe if you had seen MacKinnon at 14 you would have a different opinion.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
  #16
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Wrong word choice, but its not known for producing top nhl prospects. It has produced Jbow and Ennis (I think) but Ontario and BC leagues are better.

Most Benson scouting reports note how he is killing his league but dont talk to much about being the next big thing. Im going to watch Benson at the John Reid Memorial so ill get a better look at him
not the best league for producing talent but it still puts up nhl players

macarthur
lupul
phaneuf
brodziak
taylor hall
setoguchi
versteeg


pretty much anyone who has come out of alberta has came out of this league.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
  #17
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
MacKinnon isn't Crosby, that wasn't my point. I'm just pointing out that on HF everyone was calling him the next big thing from the time he was 14. You can go check the archives, or just google his name and you'll find articles from 2008 about his dominace and similarities to Crosby.

Also, MacKinnon put up 49 points in 29 games in the Q before Drouin even came to Halifax, so he is by no means a product of Drouin.

Maybe if you had seen MacKinnon at 14 you would have a different opinion.
i've heard the crosby comparable hype and i've never seen anything that would compare the two.

so your saying drouin playing on his line has no effect on his totals, im sure drouin has made a pass or 2 for an easy goal for mackinnon

maybe if i saw mackinnon when he was 14 i might, but i didn't.

i saw crosby when he was 15 at the macs midget tournament and thats one player i dont think tyler benson has the potential to hit.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
  #18
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
i've heard the crosby comparable hype and i've never seen anything that would compare the two.

so your saying drouin playing on his line has no effect on his totals, im sure drouin has made a pass or 2 for an easy goal for mackinnon

maybe if i did, i might, but i didn't.

i saw crosby when he was 14 at the macs midget tournament and thats one player i dont think tyler benson has the potential to hit.
I never once said that, I just said that MacKinnon was proven and considered an elite talent long before he played on a line with Drouin. If you didn't know that then I don't know what to tell you.

And for the record, MacKinnon actually has a higher ppg over his career in the games Drouin hasn't played. For instance, in the 6 games Drouin missed this year MacKinnon had 8 goals and 3 assists.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:43 PM
  #19
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
I never once said that, I just said that MacKinnon was proven and considered an elite talent long before he played on a line with Drouin. If you didn't know that then I don't know what to tell you.

And for the record, MacKinnon actually has a higher ppg over his career in the games Drouin hasn't played. For instance, in the 6 games Drouin missed this year MacKinnon had 8 goals and 3 assists.
i knew of mackinnon as of last year and was impressed with him,however the only reason i believe he is still considered a #1 pick for the following draft is because of drouin. i havent seen a whole lot of growth in mackinnon's game year by year as i thought i might have.

the sedin's have done that in stretches as well, but if one was traded i would doubt they put up point totals similar to what they currently do in vancouver.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
  #20
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
i knew of mackinnon as of last year and was impressed with him,however the only reason i believe he is still considered a #1 pick for the following draft is because of drouin. i havent seen a whole lot of growth in mackinnon's game year by year as i thought i might have.

the sedin's have done that in stretches as well, but if one was traded i would doubt they put up point totals similar to what they currently do in vancouver.
You haven't even seen him play live....how is anyone supposed to take this post seriously?

MacKinnon was considered elite long before last season, and he would definitely still be considered #1 without Drouin. Like I said, his production is actually lower with Drouin in the lineup. Now that's most likely a coincidence but the point is he doesn't feed off Drouin.

Could someone who has watched them play/have knowledge of Mackinnon please back me up here?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
  #21
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
You haven't even seen him play live....how is anyone supposed to take this post seriously?

MacKinnon was considered elite long before last season, and he would definitely still be considered #1 without Drouin. Like I said, his production is actually lower with Drouin in the lineup. Now that's most likely a coincidence but the point is he doesn't feed off Drouin.

Could someone who has watched them play/have knowledge of Mackinnon please back me up here?
i could care less really if you take my post seriously or not, have you seen tyler benson play? no? cant take you serious either? grow up.

all im saying is i think tyler benson will be better, no need for you to get so defensive about it. i'm not doubting mackinnon is a great player, he most certainly is going to be a top pick. I think benson will be better, who knows i might be wrong, im biased because i'm in the west and i hear the hype coming from this end.

not going to fly out to halifax to prove my point.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
  #22
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
i could care less really if you take my post seriously or not, have you seen tyler benson play? no? cant take you serious either? grow up.

all im saying is i think tyler benson will be better, no need for you to get so defensive about it. i'm not doubting mackinnon is a great player, he most certainly is going to be a top pick. I think benson will be better, who knows i might be wrong, im biased because i'm in the west and i hear the hype coming from this end.

not going to fly out to halifax to prove my point.
In my original post I said Benson may well become the better player, but I never even stated anything about his on ice abilities even once.

The fact that you said MacKinnon relies on Drouin is laughable to anyone who has actually seen them play live. They are both very special talents and work well together, but neither one relies on the other.

To answer your question no I have never seen Benson live, hence why I never stated anything about his draft position, talents, etc. All I said is he has a lot to prove before hes on MacKinnon's level and I stand by it.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
  #23
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
In my original post I said Benson may well become the better player, but I never even stated anything about his on ice abilities even once.

The fact that you said MacKinnon relies on Drouin is laughable to anyone who has actually seen them play live. They are both very special talents and work well together, but neither one relies on the other.

To answer your question no I have never seen Benson live, hence why I never stated anything about his draft position, talents, etc. All I said is he has a lot to prove before hes on MacKinnon's level and I stand by it.
i think mackinnon and drouin come together to make each other better players therefore the hype of both of them is raised, i also think thats why mackinnon's hype isn't as high as it was before because he had unfair comparison's and its starting to get grounded for him a bit, if you split them up i think they're numbers would go down and they would fall down the draft rankings a slight bit.

brennan shinnimin, pat holland and adam hughesman ripped up the whl in tri city last year, you split those guys up they're numbers would go down substainsially, not to the level of splitting up drouin and mackinnon, because those players are in their own talents. they don't rely on each other , but playing with each other helps.

ty benson does have alot to prove thats for sure, i will be excited to see if they let him play in the W next year, either way if he plays midget AAA he'll tear that league up and have at the very least a very impressive 1st year in the W,at that point we can get a comparable with benson and mackinnon, i think he can play at the W level very soon here.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
  #24
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
i think mackinnon and drouin come together to make each other better players therefore the hype of both of them a little bit better, i also think thats why mackinnon's hype isn't as high as it was before because he had unfair comparison's and its starting to get grounded for him a bit, if you split them up i think they're numbers would go down and they would fall down the draft rankings a slight bit.

brennan shinnimin, pat holland and adam hughesman ripped up the whl in tri city last year, you split those guys up they're numbers would go down substainsially, not to the level of splitting up drouin and mackinnon, because those players are in their own talents. they don't rely on each other , but playing with each other helps.

ty benson does have alot to prove thats for sure, i will be excited to see if they let him play in the W next year, either way if he plays midget AAA he'll tear that league up and have at the very least a very impressive 1st year in the W,at that point we can get a comparable with benson and mackinnon, i think he can play at the W level very soon here.


MacKinnon had 49 points in 29 games as a 16 year old before Drouin had even played a game in the QMJHL.

If that doesn't convince you that he doesn't rely on Drouin nothing will.

Not to mention stats don't always tell the tale. MacKinnon is a very offensively talented, but he is also a very well-rounded prospect and is much better physically and defensively than most people give him credit for.

I've seen MacKinnon play live 50+ times and Drouin 30+. They would both be incredible players even without each other trust me. They went 1st and 2nd overall in the Q draft for a reason.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:20 PM
  #25
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Solid thread.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.