HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedeej97 View Post
I think Bettman referencing the 48 game schedule of 95 in the presser was a big misstep. I expect Fehr to take it all the way to the brink now.
Well they are not gonna play 60 games starting in February. I think Bettman has pretty much referenced past lockouts as far as timelines go pretty consistently when asked.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
bobermay

Not sure if its been posted, but this is tempting.... although I'm not sure if I want a shortened NHL tbh...

http://vimeo.com/55149830

Old
12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
the sides were in contact today and negotiations might well re-start this week, but nothign's been finalized:

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...99117273944064
So, there was no reason to be worried that they might not meet?

A deal will be done soon to start on the 1st January imo.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows;56394553
@andystrickland: @Demitra_Van not considered a deal maker

[url
https://twitter.com/demitra_van/status/277847111083638785[/url]
If these execs are right (And I have no reason to challenge them) then both the players and owners are in trouble.

Is there anybody on the players side right now who could seal the deal if the Donald can't manage it?

Old
12-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Not sure if its been posted, but this is tempting.... although I'm not sure if I want a shortened NHL tbh...

Ya, I'm not doing this.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:20 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

I have a strong feeling a deal will be made within the next week and it'll come out of nowhere. The "real" negotiations are happening behind closed doors. Just like the NBA last year a press conference will be scheduled to announce a deal in a week or so.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:28 PM
uncleherman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
I have a strong feeling a deal will be made within the next week and it'll come out of nowhere. The "real" negotiations are happening behind closed doors. Just like the NBA last year a press conference will be scheduled to announce a deal in a week or so.
If I remember the NBA had a blow up too and de certified and talk about the season being done was all over. Then in the next week or two a deal was done.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:28 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
I've had this theory as well.. but im not sure either side can really keep there mouthes shut and have the ability to meet secretly like they pulled off. But I agree once the nonsense stops and reporters cannot see who comes in and out of the rooms like last time, THATS when this will get done.,

Old
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Ya, I'm not doing this.
Yeah, I'm not doing it. I have no interest in hurting my owner or my hockey team...they are not getting my money right now...why would I want to hurt people when these sides get it back together?

Really guys, I love hockey and really miss it, but I am not going to sit around and moan about how much I am being "hurt"...it's just not true. If anything I will tip my beer vendor more for him being hurt by this...just my opinion

Old
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
I think Bettman referencing the 48 game schedule of 95 in the presser was a big misstep. I expect Fehr to take it all the way to the brink now.
You think Fehr didn't already know that? He is not naive. Every single media outlet was saying that if season is to be cancelled it would be in mid-Jan. If the deal comes at the last possible moment, the season would be about 50 games.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
sheed36

I'm just so sick of all of this. I think it's time for the NHL to set a drop dead date and tell the PA that if a deal isn't done by then they will pull the plug on the season. I just want this over with one way or the other. Deal or no deal.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I'm just so sick of all of this. I think it's time for the NHL to set a drop dead date and tell the PA that if a deal isn't done by then they will pull the plug on the season. I just want this over with one way or the other. Deal or no deal.
there already is a date in both of there minds, the nhl has theres, and the nhlpa has theres.

why would either tip there hat and tell the other side just when the boiling point is?

Old
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I bet you this week when he cancels the rest of December, he'll backtrack on that and give a drop dead date for Jan 1st, 56-58 game season, citing pressure from sponsors and TV networks.

waffledave
Old
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
there already is a date in both of there minds, the nhl has theres, and the nhlpa has theres.

why would either tip there hat and tell the other side just when the boiling point is?
I just want it to end and if there was a definite drop dead date set by the NHL maybe both sides would get more serious about ending this fiasco ASAP.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
mikedeej97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
You think Fehr didn't already know that? He is not naive. Every single media outlet was saying that if season is to be cancelled it would be in mid-Jan. If the deal comes at the last possible moment, the season would be about 50 games.
I'm sure Fehr knew it, but Bettman acknowledging it publicly wasn't too smart.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post

I won't buy merch or tickets, but that's mainly because I don't have to money to.

**** not watching it on TV.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
I just want it to end and if there was a definite drop dead date set by the NHL maybe both sides would get more serious about ending this fiasco ASAP.
it would not do anything by telling, if anything it gives both sides no rush to push there agenda.

just think of it as doing your homework as a someone that waits to the last minute to do it.

if the teacher tells you that this home work needs to be done on the 23rd, you will wait until the 22nd and up to that class to finish it.

now if the teacher tells you that this homework has no set date to be done, but will randomly just show up. when do you start to think about doing your homework? you do it too quick and you don't get the best marks on it because you rushed it. or you wait to long and get an fail on it because you missed the date.

thats what is going on, both sides are hoping and praying that they reach the other sides date before there own.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly tells The Associated Press he has been in contact with the players' association, and the sides are working on returning to the bargaining table.

Daly says in an e-mail on Sunday: “Trying to set up something for this week, but nothing finalized yet.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Anytime.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
When wasn't he ever going to take it to the brink (or beyond)? His actions last week basically indicated he was, if there was ever any doubt. You sound like you'd rather have a drop-dead date sprung on the last minute which is a great way to get a season killed.

If anything saying 48 games speeds up the process since the last time it was mid-February but with 48 everyone now knows it's a quicker timeline than that, without an 'exact' date.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

So anyone think he knows something is coming and wants a couple extra weeks to get in game shape? Christmas seems an odd time to sign for 22 days unless you have a really good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanoe View Post
Matt Duchene will play with Ambri Piotta (Switzerland). He signed a contract until the 31.12.

http://www.hcap.ch/it/article/1855/m...he-nhl-ad-ambr

Old
12-09-2012, 05:58 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I've had this theory as well.. but im not sure either side can really keep there mouthes shut and have the ability to meet secretly like they pulled off. But I agree once the nonsense stops and reporters cannot see who comes in and out of the rooms like last time, THATS when this will get done.,
Same here. The only way you could manage that is if the room was literally just Gary/Bill and the two Fehrs, but that can't happen with all the lawyers around.

And part of me thinks that Bill and Steve will have to be the ones to broker the deal at this point anyway.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Logic suggests a deal will be done. They're close and it's a choice between getting a slightly lesser deal than intended but still getting millions or holding out, probably not getting it anyway and being paid from October 13 at the earliest.

Logic doesn't seem to apply to these morons though.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
it would not do anything by telling, if anything it gives both sides no rush to push there agenda.

just think of it as doing your homework as a someone that waits to the last minute to do it.

if the teacher tells you that this home work needs to be done on the 23rd, you will wait until the 22nd and up to that class to finish it.

now if the teacher tells you that this homework has no set date to be done, but will randomly just show up. when do you start to think about doing your homework? you do it too quick and you don't get the best marks on it because you rushed it. or you wait to long and get an fail on it because you missed the date.

thats what is going on, both sides are hoping and praying that they reach the other sides date before there own.
I get what you're saying but what point is there for the PA to have a certain date set to get this done? I could see the NHL setting a drop dead date to cancel the season but why would the PA have a certain date in mind?

Old
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
HavlatMach9

I'm hopeful that the two sides will come to an agreement allowing a shortened season, meaning we can talk about hockey by the end of this month or sometime in January.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
I get what you're saying but what point is there for the PA to have a certain date set to get this done? I could see the NHL setting a drop dead date to cancel the season but why would the PA have a certain date in mind?
they have a date in which they think the nhl will actually cancel the season, they might call up the nhl on that day and say we would like to negotiate on your last offer. you give us this and we will give you this and this just to get a deal done.

Closed Thread