HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 07:20 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
The only thing wrong with Kane's tweet/picture is the timing....at any other time it would be a non-event. Given the current situation, well....
Its a non-event regardless. Even unemployed people can party. Of course going to Vegas is on a different scale than going out to a random local bar or buying beer but these guys are millionaire, and thus do live on a different scale.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Roulin

Gorges' comments seem pretty in line with previous comments that were more well received on this board. Gorges said he believes Molson is a moderate owner who would like to end the lockout. Now he says that he'd like to hear individual owners speak their minds. These two statements are pretty easy to reconcile with each other, no?

Old
12-20-2012, 08:57 PM
DAChampion

An excellent article on the lockout:

http://business.time.com/2012/12/19/...e-nhl-lockout/

Old
12-20-2012, 10:06 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Thanks for the link. Definitely some interesting stuff in there. I wonder if the Roster Depreciation Allowance he refers to applies to Canadian teams as well as US teams.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:

Did you also read the readers' answers to that article ?

Pretty much what's going on back and forth on this board between you - the pro players - and the pro-owner.

1- hockey is a regional game in the USA and a national game in Canada. NHL will never get the big media bucks.

2- since the last CBA, the costs of evething has raise, transportation in particular. Maybe players should be transported in non cherter flights or by bus, and sleep in Super 8 motels instead of 5 stars venues. They should pay for their equipment and trainors..

3- So, if the players want to keep their big salaries, maybe the owners can cut on expenses elsewhere.

4- Sorry for the hockey players but their sports is not a major sport in the US, and as such, they are making way too much money. But, it' alreadt better than the CFL players.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its a non-event regardless. Even unemployed people can party. Of course going to Vegas is on a different scale than going out to a random local bar or buying beer but these guys are millionaire, and thus do live on a different scale.
you're missing the point.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:26 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

Great article, on point with my view. His other articles are a good read too. thanks

Old
12-21-2012, 04:03 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post

1- hockey is a regional game in the USA and a national game in Canada. NHL will never get the big media bucks.

4- Sorry for the hockey players but their sports is not a major sport in the US, and as such, they are making way too much money. But, it' alreadt better than the CFL players.
You'd think that the NHL in the USA was on the level of cricket and handball the way people talk it down.

Fact is the 7 Canadian NHL teams made an average of 136 million in revenue, whereas the 23 US teams made an average of ~102 million. That's right, the 23 US teams averaged ~102 million in revenue. Yes, there's a difference in popularity, but it's not as massive as it's made out to be, and in any case US cities like NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, Philadelphia, and Boston all have larger metropolitain populations than any city in Canada, so you don't need the same fan intensity to produce the same total revenue. American NHL teams certainly do better than CFL teams. If there were no Canadian teams in the equation, the salary cap would have been 58 million this year year, basically, to put things in perspective, the US markets are a full ~3 years behind the Canadian markets in terms of growth -- OMG what a chasm hockey is so weak in the USA .

You think Hollywood celebrities would be caught dead at an LA Kings game if the NHL was on par with water polo and kickball?

[[ Perhaps this particular point is weak and I just want to post eye candy. ]]

There are a lot of channels in the USA, anyone of them could host the NHL. ESPN, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC ... Major League Soccer and NASCAR get on TV just fine, even as the NHL was on Versus which was not standard in many cable packages.

The USA is a country of ~315 million people or so. It can support many huge sports: NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, NASCAR, UFC, NCAA football, NCAA basketball... even the WNBA and the MLS are growing. It's a populous, rich country, there's lots of room for the NHL to grow, and indeed, it's been growing and doing fabulously well overall.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Please Santa Clause, could you put an end to the lock-out and THIS thread ?

Old
12-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Please Santa Clause, could you put an end to the lock-out and THIS thread ?
Damn. All this CBA talk is even subconsciously affecting your spelling.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Damn. All this CBA talk is even subconsciously affecting your spelling.
I guess you have no idea who Tim Allen is right ?

Old
12-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well, it irks me given the circumstances. If I owned a sports bar, or a restaurant or a sports store that relies on selling NHL merch I suspect it would irk me even more. He probably didn't mean it to come across as flaunting, but it does.

Besides, nobody likes a show-off.
Maybe it would, but again, i'm not sure why...the owners locked out the players, the players aren't on strike. How does Evander Kane enjoying life as a young adult in Las Vegas, affect restaurant owners or sports stores that rely on selling NHL merchandise?

Sometimes the 'moral police' takes it too far...and I think this is one of those cases.

As for nobody liking a show-off...meh, nobody likes a hater either

Old
12-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I think this is the sentiment felt by the people who were "offended" (more like pissed) by Kane's deliberate public offering. (A sentiment I share.)

It's not so much that people are too sensitive as him being a complete asshat for not realizing how bad that looks in the middle of a lockout that fans are deeply angry about. Whether it's the players, the league or both (it's both), unintentional finger is still perceived as a finger to many. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I think he's a moron given the circumstances.
This lockout isn't about the fans though...neither side is considering how the fans feel. That has been obvious for months now.

Time for fans to acknowledge this

Old
12-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Gally11

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Karl Rove is adamant – ADAMANT – that the NHLPA has voted against a disclaimer of interest.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:08 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Karl Rove is adamant ADAMANT that the NHLPA has voted against a disclaimer of interest.
What does that mean? Legal jargon flies over my head.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What does that mean? Legal jargon flies over my head.
Means they don't intend to file for decertification...which I was all together surprised they would to tell you the truth.

Donald Fehr is old-school...dissolving the union is completely against his idealogy.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Means they don't intend to file for decertification...which I was all together surprised they would to tell you the truth.

Donald Fehr is old-school...dissolving the union is completely against his idealogy.
Actually, it means the opposite in this case because Proteau appears to be making a reference to Karl Rove not willing to accept reality on election night.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Actually, it means the opposite in this case because Proteau appears to be making a reference to Karl Rove not willing to accept reality on election night.
Really? I thought the disclaimer of interest was to state their interest to decertify.

My brain hurts...

Sorry WTK...

Old
12-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Really? I thought the disclaimer of interest was to state their interest to decertify.

My brain hurts...

Sorry WTK...
I think he's saying is some American polictician is Karl Rove and that person refused to believe fact that Obama had won, so Adam Proteau was making american politics joke meaning that the vote will no doubt go through haha confusing. I don't follow american politics in the slightest.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:

My brain hurts...

Sorry WTK...
It does. I just mean Proteau is saying that 'Karl Rove' believes they've voted against a disclaimer of interest because it's clear to everybody that they'll be doing the opposite.

It's really bad political humour.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
It does. I just mean Proteau is saying that 'Karl Rove' believes they've voted against a disclaimer of interest because it's clear to everybody that they'll be doing the opposite.

It's really bad political humour.
Or maybe I just didn't get it lol...but thanks for clearing that up

Old
12-21-2012, 11:33 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So the vote goes through.. and then what happens?

Old
12-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So the vote goes through.. and then what happens?
Maybe nothing from my understanding...

Old
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Maybe nothing from my understanding...
Seems to be the case.

They're voting to give permission to their leadership to possibly go through with something that could eventually lead to them filing for something else, which would then have to go to the courts, and then if that were to ever pass, they'd have to go back to the courts again.

Just a very convoluted pressure tactic that would only lead to something tangible if this lockout is still going on at this time next year.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Seems to be the case.

They're voting to give permission to their leadership to possibly go through with something that could eventually lead to them filing for something else, which would then have to go to the courts, and then if that were to ever pass, they'd have to go back to the courts again.

Just a very convoluted pressure tactic that would only lead to something tangible if this lockout is still going on at this time next year.
Pretty much...

Personally, i've gone past the point where I actually WANT to have a season...I remember the 48 game NHL season, and I just wasn't a fan.

Wish they just cancelled the season already

Closed Thread