HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would the Leafs have drafted...

Old
12-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

vCash: 500
Who would the Leafs have drafted...

Me and a friend were having a debate recently about the second 1st round pick we traded to Boston.

We were debating and who Burke would of drafted if he had kept that pick.

I think, if he has the 8th OA pick, it would of been a no brainer, and he would have drafted Dougie Hamilton. Imo Hamilton was an obvious choice, I think he will be the best player in the whole Kessel trade, God knows how he fell so far.

My friend thinks he wouldn't of drafted Brodin, or moved up a spot for Couts.

What do you think?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

I think this isn't going to end well.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
LV
TML forever

vCash: 50
Didn't Dougie go ninth?

LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Leafs For Life*

Since we would end up in that spot without Kessel? Huh, guess Kessel is a non factor in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Didn't Dougie go ninth?
Yup, and Couts went 8th.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

It would've been Hamilton easily. He shouldn't have fallen to 9th. ****ing Winnipeg reaching for Schiefle.

Tommy Torini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Leafs For Life*

I don't see why Philly didn't pick Hamilton over Couturier though, picked biggest strength over biggest future need.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Too many variables in my opinion when it comes to 'who would you have picked with this pick' due to all the possibilities of trades as you mentioned. In hindsight when it comes to picking players sure you can say 'should have' picked so and so, but I believe we have to assume that they would pick the player that was taken with that pick.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan16 View Post
i don't see why philly didn't pick hamilton over couturier though, picked biggest strength over biggest future need.
bpa.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I don't see why Philly didn't pick Hamilton over Couturier though, picked biggest strength over biggest future need.
BPA. At that point, it's always BPA. Dougie will be great but Couts is already a stud and has nowhere to go but up.

12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
No it wasn't. The Flyers traded Richards and Carter, their two best centers, before Couturier was selected.

Also, if you watch the draft, the Flyers say they did not expect Couturier to drop, however there were rumblings that it was possible. Trading Carter and Richards the day before the draft kinda shows where they were picking, if it in fact did occur, which it did.

I wouldn't question Paul Holmgrem.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

This is a stupid thread and a pointless discussion to even have because the Leafs would have finished worse if Kessel wasn't on the team. Who knows how high they pick and who they pick and even if you have some kind of guess, it's best not to even think about as a fan of this team.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:43 AM
pooleboy

we would of had hall and rnh without kessel. both would have been bpa with our picks.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:03 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
This is a stupid thread and a pointless discussion to even have because the Leafs would have finished worse if Kessel wasn't on the team. Who knows how high they pick and who they pick and even if you have some kind of guess, it's best not to even think about as a fan of this team.
Your probably right - except for the bolded. Denial isn't healthy.

But its also possible that Phil Kessel made the team worse. You know the whole -30 thing. Maybe inserting a plug on that top line might have netted us a few more points in the standings - and we'd be picking 11th+

Top10 in 2011 was a great class.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:37 AM
thecatch22

Hamilton for show.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Kegs

it was actually 9th and ya probably a no brainer... we will see ... you can never be too sure when a player still playing with teenagers in the ohl... but dougie is pretty exciting... the leafs got an amazing defencman last draft... morgan riely or something... i foget his exact name but he tearing it up/

Last edited by Kegs: 12-11-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
we would of had hall and rnh without kessel. both would have been bpa with our picks.

do u think hall is better then seguin?

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:21 AM
TMLife
Auston Matthews

Winnipeg reached. Hamilton should have gone 7th and Boston should have had scheifele or brodin

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
No it wasn't. The Flyers traded Richards and Carter, their two best centers, before Couturier was selected.

Also, if you watch the draft, the Flyers say they did not expect Couturier to drop, however there were rumblings that it was possible. Trading Carter and Richards the day before the draft kinda shows where they were picking, if it in fact did occur, which it did.

I wouldn't question Paul Holmgrem.
In fact the pick obtained from Columbus for Jeff Carter was used on Couturier. So Philly turned Richards and Carter into their future Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier & more.

As far as picking 9th and had Leafs been selecting with their own pick then Dougie Hamilton would have been the obvious selection at that point based on how the draft had unfolded up to that point. I'm suspecting that Hamilton will evolve to a player similar to St. Louis Blues Alex Pietrangelo..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Johny Drama

The two picks that surprised me the most in that draft were Ottawa picking Zibanejad and Winnipeg taking Sheifele. I really thought the Sens would have taken Courturier. Also...looking back now, I would say the Isles made a mistake not taking Hamilton in the five slot. They could really use an impact blueliner as they already have some pretty good young forwards.

Johny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:27 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

verditct is still out on Dougie Hamilton. Still yet to play a game in the NHL. Not going to discredit what he has done thus far, just would prefer to judge him after hes played in the NHL.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I would say the Isles made a mistake not taking Hamilton in the five slot. They could really use an impact blueliner as they already have some pretty good young forwards.
Except the 2012 entry draft the following year was top heavy in defenseman so the blueliner could be address as was with Griffin Reinhart for the NYI's.

So them taking Ryan Strome a center and leading OHL scorer now (32 games 22-40-62 points) and team Canada WJC representative in 2011 draft, and then planning for BPA defensman in 2012 was a pretty good plan on foresight. Now they have an elite Dman prospect and Centre in the prospect pool.

Hamilton would also have been a good selection for NYI in 2011 but then they wouldn't have a top forward prospect in the system. A 1 -2 punch of Tavares and Strome down the middle for NYI is going to payoff down the road.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:39 AM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

9th? Hamilton. In all likely hood we would have gotten a higher pick without Kessel likely moving our pick to nearly top 5. I'd say Couturier would have been a big target for Burke.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
PLEASE Mr. Fehr and Mr. Bettman... Make hockey come back!

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:47 AM
DD03
3D

Too many what ifs for me.

DD03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Johny Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Except the 2012 entry draft the following year was top heavy in defenseman so the blueliner could be address as was with Griffin Reinhart for the NYI's.

So them taking Ryan Strome a center and leading OHL scorer now (32 games 22-40-62 points) and team Canada WJC representative in 2011 draft, and then planning for BPA defensman in 2012 was a pretty good plan on foresight. Now they have an elite Dman prospect and Centre in the prospect pool.

Hamilton would also have been a good selection for NYI in 2011 but then they wouldn't have a top forward prospect in the system. A 1 -2 punch of Tavares and Strome down the middle for NYI is going to payoff down the road.
Not completely disagreeing with you, but you can make an argument that Hamilton was BPA at #5 and Isles also needed a blueliner. Tough to make the decision on who to draft, based on what may or may not be coming down the pipe the following year, especially when you have no idea where you will be picking.

I like Strome as a player, but Hamilton looks a far better and more valueable prospect at this point in time.

Johny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote