Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

English Premier Ice Hockey League future not looking great

Old
11-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Rigafan

vCash: 500
English Premier Ice Hockey League future not looking great

Known as EPL or EPIHL..

So the league is the 2nd level of hockey in the UK. It is a semi-pro league where you can currently employ upto 5 import players.. anyway.

The trouble started with the Manchester Phoenix, who are currently playing outside of Manchester in a rink that isn't really suitable for this level of hockey and on a promise they will build a new rink in Manchester by Christmas time - doesn't look likely and the team is pretty much running on empty, financially speaking.

Next we have one of the most famous teams in UK hockey, Bracknell Bees who pretty much went bankrupt at the start of the season and was saved by the fans and now run on very low budgets just to keep them alive.

We then have Milton Keynes Lightning, one of the better teams and more finacially stable in the league who are taking the step up into the full professional Elite Ice Hockey League next season, so the EPL is left a team short. There are plans to add another team by the ice rink owners but nothing said as of yet.

And the more recent news is that Telford Tigers, who caused a stir because they were being bankrolled by a rather wealthly businessman and were aiming to 'buy the league' They pay big wages to established British players to drop down to their level, they pay 12 month contracts rather than season length only and now news has broke that they have no money left, their players may not be paid and they have huge debts, some stating in the region of 800k! 800k in a semi-pro league!

Another chapter in the wild ride that is UK hockey has begun! The EPL isn't looking so great at present.

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Dustin Peener
Choose life

Officially announced that Telford are facing liquidation over debts of 500k

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/...eing-lined-up/

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Rigafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Peener View Post
Officially announced that Telford are facing liquidation over debts of 500k

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/...eing-lined-up/
That's quite shocking!

Interesting that 'third parties' want to take the team forward. The only way would be a total clear out of the team and rely on youth/locals and we all know that won't end well. Then their fans go from 1k to 500 per game and then what?

The EPL is an interesting league, but it needs to find out what it wants to be!

Old
11-18-2016, 07:00 AM
ukyote
User, Interrupted

Oh wow... I dip in and out, but every time I poke my head around the door of British hockey something bad has happened.

Why can't we seem to get it right?!

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Rigafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyote View Post
Oh wow... I dip in and out, but every time I poke my head around the door of British hockey something bad has happened.

Why can't we seem to get it right?!
One major problem I think the EPL has is the chairman is based in Carolina and not the UK

Also increasing the number of import players while they know that 2-3 teams are struggling financially wasn't the best option.

Old
11-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

didn't realise Telford went into financial trouble; I remember there being such big hoohah over the new owners and it was apparently meant to be GREAT news for British hockey...

Interesting.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Dustin Peener
Choose life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
didn't realise Telford went into financial trouble; I remember there being such big hoohah over the new owners and it was apparently meant to be GREAT news for British hockey...

Interesting.
I think anyone with any sense knew at the the time it would probably be unsustainable and this would happen eventually, but I don't think anyone expected it to go **** up this quickly

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2016, 06:28 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Peener View Post
I think anyone with any sense knew at the the time it would probably be unsustainable and this would happen eventually, but I don't think anyone expected it to go **** up this quickly
It would have been easy to guess that it'd go to **** but it's so much more fun being optimistic

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2016, 05:53 AM
ukyote
User, Interrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigafan View Post
One major problem I think the EPL has is the chairman is based in Carolina and not the UK

Also increasing the number of import players while they know that 2-3 teams are struggling financially wasn't the best option.
Yeah but it's just one thing after another. It's difficult to wholeheartedly get behind something so dysfunctional.

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Kiev the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigafan View Post

You'd have thought by this point that British hockey no longer had a foot left that it could shoot itself in and yet....

Kiev the Great is offline   Reply With Quote