HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Niedermayer

Old
07-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
Scott Niedermayer

I'm sick of the Kovy talk it's sickening..about Scott Niedermayer. I'm having an arguement with someone about Scott Niedermayer. My arguement is that Scott Niedermayer wasn't the superstar he became untill the 03 playoffs which is where he took off and never looked back. I would argue 4 out of his top 5 seasons were after the 2003 season and i think the stats back me up on that. His argument is that Niedermayer was always a superstar and elite way before then. His 97-98 season being a big reason. I completly disagree. I consider a superstar to be a top 5 player in the league at their position or at least close. I just dont rememeber Niedermayer being considered a "superstar" going into the 2002-2003 season? What do you guys think?

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
You're right. Niedermayer finally took the next step and became a superstar grade player in the 2003 playoffs. He was a terrific player for many years before that, but he really found the ability to stick his game in the next gear in 2003.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
CerebralGenesis

2003 was the magic year for Niedermayer

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
yeah he was a great player before that but he was definitley no superstar. if he didnt take off in 03 and just kept playin the way he did before the 03 playoffs he would of never been a hall of fame player either.

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
DiscoBall

Still the most beautiful stride I've ever seen.

My pops used to do a lot of work with the devils (awards, locker room name plates, ect) and my dad asked the then equipment manager for an autograph from neidermayer...my pops went back to get it a few days later....i ended up with a signed terreri goal stick from the 2000 team as a birthday present. the equipment manager said scott got the team to sign it. I'll post a picture of it in the memorabilia thread.

dude is class.

DiscoBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Payce
#NotGregoryCampbell

He took his good, solid time before hitting the elite. Building slowly tends to make it looks like he was there all along before getting there in retrospect.

If Larsson follows his pattern, we'll have a GOD on our team in about 8 seasons time.

Payce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Devils86

How many of you actually even saw him play for the Devils?? He was a star with in the system from 1992. He could have been Paul Coffee anytime he wanted to thats how much talent he has but he bought into the Devils concept and subjugated his game for the best of the team. His goal in the 1995 Cup finals is as good as it gets

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:16 PM
DiscoBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
How many of you actually even saw him play for the Devils??
I saw him live at least 50 times. I know he is the most talented devil skater of all time. I think he might be the most talented Devil of all time.

I lost my 11 year old **** to that goal.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Larsson View Post
yeah he was a great player before that but he was definitley no superstar. if he didnt take off in 03 and just kept playin the way he did before the 03 playoffs he would of never been a hall of fame player either.
Sorry, you couldnt be more wrong. You obviously know nothing about his game at all and have gotten all your facts from stats and YouTube. From 95 on he was one of the Elite D in the game,His best seasons were 2003-07 but he was a star way before that

Old
07-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBall View Post
I saw him live at least 50 times. I know he is the most talented devil skater of all time. I think he might be the most talented Devil of all time.

I lost my 11 year old **** to that goal.
Yea..11 year old isnt actually seeing him. My 11 year cousin thinks Mark Sanchez is a great QB but you are correct he probably is the most talented all around Devil and still the only Devil to win the Norris Trophy

Old
07-12-2013, 05:25 PM
DiscoBall

Quote:
Sorry, you couldnt be more wrong. You obviously know nothing about his game at all and have gotten all your facts from stats and YouTube. From 95 on he was one of the Elite D in the game,His best seasons were 2003-07 but he was a star way before that
He was always overshadowed (during his tenure with the Devils) by Scott Stevens. He was better than Stevens, and it's not close.

Niedermayer is a TOP 5 Defenseman of all time.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:26 PM
DiscoBall

Quote:
Yea..11 year old isnt actually seeing him. My 11 year cousin thinks Mark Sanchez is a great QB but you are correct he probably is the most talented all around Devil and still the only Devil to win the Norris Trophy
I was 11 when he scored the goal in Detroit. My Family had a partial every year he was in Jersey. I know how good he was.

Old
07-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Devils86

Quote:
He was always overshadowed (during his tenure with the Devils) by Scott Stevens. He was better than Stevens, and it's not close.

not sure Top 5...I;d go Orr, Coffee, Potvin, Lindstom,Bourque first and those are just the guys I saw...ssome people say Doug Harvey was as good a DMan that there ever was but that was before my time

Old
07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
I agree with you. I was a youngster back then, but I love going back and watching old games. Devils, non Devils, everything.

You go back and watch the way he controlled the puck. How smart and how quick he was as soon as created a turnover... It was effortless.
Niedermayer being so skilled in his transition, in my opinion, was a big part of the reason why Stevens was allowed to go all in on the physical side of the game. What an incredible pairing to watch.

A lot of the current "Niedermayer was overrated in Jersey" trend and other such nonsense was just a product of the garbage that always gets thrown in in regards to the Devils.
Nobody 20 years ago, 10 years ago or even now gave 1/2 a damn about any of our players til they were ready to become UFAs. Especially back then, we were subject to whatever Toronto, Philly and NY media wanted to say about us.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
2003 was the magic year for Niedermayer
The year he got paired up with Pronger was probably the easiest year in the history of the NHL to pick who would win the Cup even before the season started.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Puck Farise

Quote:

lol. no. There's a reason he was overshadowed by Stevens.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1029907

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:11 PM
DiscoBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Farise View Post

Larry Robinson #9.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Larry Robinson #9.
Seeing as you're saying Stevens was "not close" to Niedermayer, I can safely say that this list was assembled by people who know a hell of a lot more than you.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:31 PM
DiscoBall

Quote:
Seeing as you're saying Stevens was "not close" to Niedermayer, I can safely say that this list was assembled by people who know a hell of a lot more than you.
they may know more about hockey. I doubt they saw the two of them play live more than I did. I'll take Nieds.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
tycobb

Quote:

I hear that a lot, but I never thought it was close. Steven had a better peak and a longer career as a top defenseman.

I think the reason people think Niedermayer > Stevens is because Niedermayer could have played longer since his last season at 36 was still offensively great. Stevens by the end of the 94 lockout was strictly a great defensive defenseman till the end of his career.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
I hear that a lot, but I never thought it was close. Steven had a better peak and a longer career as a top defenseman.

I think the reason people think Niedermayer > Stevens is because Niedermayer could have played longer since his last season at 36 was still offensively great. Stevens by the end of the 94 lockout was strictly a great defensive defenseman till the end of his career.
By his own choosing, though. Stevens still had the offensive chops, he decided to remake himself into a defenseman who would win cups, not scoring trophies.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:40 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
By his own choosing, though. Stevens still had the offensive chops, he decided to remake himself into a defenseman who would win cups, not scoring trophies.
looking over his career numbers something notably changed. I figure was playing in the dead cup era > 30 years old.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:41 PM
apice3*

Any list that doesn't have Scott Stevens in the top 10 is a terrible list as far as I'm concerned. How many D-men in NHL history had the offensive seasons he had while truly being known as a shut down defenseman?

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote