HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
deakka

vCash: 500
It almost makes me nervous when our NCAA prospects are doing good. I dont want to see a Schultz situation happen to us :/ They really need to change the rules so the team that drafted the player gets some sort of compensation if he doesnt sign with them.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
It almost makes me nervous when our NCAA prospects are doing good. I dont want to see a Schultz situation happen to us :/ They really need to change the rules so the team that drafted the player gets some sort of compensation if he doesnt sign with them.
I wouldn't worry about it. The Pens are a great organization where there's lots of opportunity, and none of our college prospects are high draft picks or doing so well that they'd become coveted free agents a la Wheeler and Schultz. That's pretty rare.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
deakka

Any word on Pouliots injury yet? Will he play tonight?

Old
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
deakka

The Val-d’Or Foreurs forward, Anton Zlobin is the first of the week. He collected 9 points in 2 games (4 goals and 5 assists) and a +/- of +2. Saturday, in an 8-6 win against the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, he scored the winning goal at the end of the 3rd period and was named the 1st star of the game for his extraordinary performance of 3 goals and 3 assists. It was the first time since 2006 that a Foreurs player was able to collect 6 points during a road game, equaling the team’s record, set by Kristopher Letang. The night before, he scored 1 goal and added 2 assists in a 5-4 loss against the Huskies.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:39 AM
alexfr

Quote:
The Val-d’Or Foreurs forward, Anton Zlobin is the first of the week. He collected 9 points in 2 games (4 goals and 5 assists) and a +/- of +2. Saturday, in an 8-6 win against the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, he scored the winning goal at the end of the 3rd period and was named the 1st star of the game for his extraordinary performance of 3 goals and 3 assists. It was the first time since 2006 that a Foreurs player was able to collect 6 points during a road game, equaling the team’s record, set by Kristopher Letang. The night before, he scored 1 goal and added 2 assists in a 5-4 loss against the Huskies.
I have been following him a fair bit and he looks like he has matured a lot since last year. He is working a lot harder for goals and not making as many careless mistakes and his back check has come along way. I really hope that he can make it work and get in on an ELC to show he can stick

Old
01-01-2013, 11:27 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I have no doubt that one of the things the league will look to do in the new CBA is close the Blake Wheeler/Justin Schultz loophole. It's not fair or right that those players get to walk away and become free agents, if the team that drafted them wants to sign them, especially with nothing compensatory coming back in return. Obviously we'll wait and see what happens, but I would be absolutely shocked if this loophole isn't closed in the new deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
He was just over a point/game last season and so far he is at a 27% improvement in both goal and points output. Would be extremely promising to see him keep it up. Doubt he would ever consider leaving early since he is at Yale, so the Pens could be looking at a very polished winger coming into WBS in 2014. Maybe even straight to the NHL? He could have a 25/50 season before that.

Kenny is a really good player with a lot of good skills & natural instincts. I think it's safe to say, he can be as good as he wants to be, if he's willing to put the work in off the ice, the way that a guy like Bennett did this past year. That will be the case whether he turns pro now or after another season, but I think he could probably benefit from some time in WBS, just getting adjusted to a 70+ game schedule. He's clearly ready to turn pro if he wants to, and based on how WBS is doing and our prospect group in general (especially considering that Tangradi & Bennett will likely not be there next year), it would probably be good to get him signed after this season if he is interested in doing so. Ditto for Josh Archibald, who could be ready to turn pro this summer, or spend another year in college.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Jacob

I'm pretty sure that D'Agostino is now free to sign with any team, considering he was drafted in the same draft as Schultz, therefore it's been 4 years (now 5) since he was drafted. Considering the depth that'd be ahead of him, I'd probably sign elsewhere if I were him.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:15 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'm pretty sure that D'Agostino is now free to sign with any team, considering he was drafted in the same draft as Schultz, therefore it's been 4 years (now 5) since he was drafted. Considering the depth that'd be ahead of him, I'd probably sign elsewhere if I were him.

I'm pretty sure there are some steps he would need to go through first. (A) I think his team's season needs to be finished, (B) I think he needs to declare that he's not going back to school, and I'm not sure if this entails filing any specific paperwork, and (C) there is a date either June 25th or Juy 1st or something like that whereby as of midnight that day, he is eligable to be a UFA. The loophole may be closed before any of those things happen.

Or he could just not be a dou*** like that and ask for a trade to another team. If he feels like he can't be better than the Straits/Lovejoys/Samuelssons of this world and beat them out on the depth chart, I'm sure the Pens would be happy to move his rights and get something small in return for him. He ain't Blake Wheeler and he certainly ain't Justin Schultz.

But with Bortuzzo, Strait, possibly Dumoulin and Despres, and perhaps some of the vets off the roster for next season, there is a spot for him to take on WBS next season if his play merits it, and because some of our other D-prospects are too young to be AHL eligable next year.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Jacob

Where is his spot?

Letang
Orpik
Martin
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Strait
Dumoulin
Samuelsson
Morrow
Harrington
Ruopp

He'd be 14th on the depth chart, and that's if the Penguins sign no AHL vets. I'm not going to fault him if he doesn't sign.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Where is his spot?

Letang
Orpik
Martin
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Strait
Dumoulin
Samuelsson
Morrow
Harrington
Ruopp

He'd be 14th on the depth chart, and that's if the Penguins sign no AHL vets. I'm not going to fault him if he doesn't sign.
Then there's Maatta, Pouliot, and the almost guaranteed 1st in 2013 as well...

Old
01-01-2013, 02:32 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Where is his spot?

Letang
Orpik
Martin
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Strait
Dumoulin
Samuelsson
Morrow
Harrington
Ruopp

I wouldn't blame him either, but Shero and the Pens are also not stupid. They see the writing on the wall for these players, and if they don't think there is room for certain guys and yet they have some value, they will be moved in a trade. It's not D'Agostino's sole choice as to what happens with his rights or his future.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I have no doubt that one of the things the league will look to do in the new CBA is close the Blake Wheeler/Justin Schultz loophole. It's not fair or right that those players get to walk away and become free agents, if the team that drafted them wants to sign them, especially with nothing compensatory coming back in return. Obviously we'll wait and see what happens, but I would be absolutely shocked if this loophole isn't closed in the new deal.

Kenny is a really good player with a lot of good skills & natural instincts. I think it's safe to say, he can be as good as he wants to be, if he's willing to put the work in off the ice, the way that a guy like Bennett did this past year. That will be the case whether he turns pro now or after another season, but I think he could probably benefit from some time in WBS, just getting adjusted to a 70+ game schedule. He's clearly ready to turn pro if he wants to, and based on how WBS is doing and our prospect group in general (especially considering that Tangradi & Bennett will likely not be there next year), it would probably be good to get him signed after this season if he is interested in doing so. Ditto for Josh Archibald, who could be ready to turn pro this summer, or spend another year in college.
I don't like that loop hole either, I think they should make it so the entire time they are in college, the team owns their rights indefinitely and after they are done, the team owns their rights for 1 year. If they can't sign the guy in the year then well, they had their chances.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Jag68Sid87

Is Ruopp going to be a defenseman in the pros, or is he a candidate to become an enforcer/winger?

As far as D'Agostino goes, he's playing his senior year at Cornell, right? So in his case, we have until August 15 to sign him...unless the new CBA changes his status.

Justin Schultz was a junior when he used the loophole. Unless I'm missing something.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
regard

If DAgostino does what Shultz did I dont think anyone can blame him. lol Totally different circumstances.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
BeauKnows19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
He was just over a point/game last season and so far he is at a 27% improvement in both goal and points output. Would be extremely promising to see him keep it up. Doubt he would ever consider leaving early since he is at Yale, so the Pens could be looking at a very polished winger coming into WBS in 2014. Maybe even straight to the NHL? He could have a 25/50 season before that.
Do you guys think that Kenny has an NHL future ahead of him? And if so, would it be as a bottom 6 guy or does he have some potential to play top 6? He is from my hometown in NJ so I would really like to see him in the NHL some day.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
Do you guys think that Kenny has an NHL future ahead of him? And if so, would it be as a bottom 6 guy or does he have some potential to play top 6? He is from my hometown in NJ so I would really like to see him in the NHL some day.
Kenny is probably my favorite college forward prospect aside from Hanowski. He's just a Penguins type of player. He for sure has an NHL career ahead of him.

My impression from watching him several times is that his hockey IQ is very good, likes to play within the dots, decent hands and defensively responsible.

IMO, unlike the other college prospects in the system, he is the most likely to reach his potential and his bust factor is much lower. Though he may not have as high of a ceiling as Hanowski, Blueger or Archibald, I think he'll be a solid 3rd liner who could occasionally jump in the top-6.

The best part about Agostino is that the knock on him was that he played lower level competition, and like Bennett, he went to college and proved himself. Questions about his offense translating will always come up, but regardless if it does or not, I still see him as a solid 3rd line player.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
BeauKnows19

Ok thanks alot! What do you think of Hanowski? What kind of player is he? I have never gotten the chance to see him play.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Is Ruopp going to be a defenseman in the pros, or is he a candidate to become an enforcer/winger?
Probably stay a defenseman. Maybe he can become another Engelland and have some value for us.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
If DAgostino does what Shultz did I dont think anyone can blame him. lol Totally different circumstances.
I think the loophole is ********, but I can't blast a guy for using it. He didn't put it there. I personally think Schultz did what was the very best for himself, and if he was going to choose any single team in the NHL, I think he chose the right one.

The Oilers desperately need defensive help, he's going to be getting the highest quality mins that team can possibly offer, and he can be a building block there on a very talented up and coming squad, where Anaheim is sort of a team that's probably going to be on the decline sooner or later.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
Ok thanks alot! What do you think of Hanowski? What kind of player is he? I have never gotten the chance to see him play.
Hanowski is hard to project when it comes to what he's going to look like when he turns pro. He's a shoot first player, but his playmaking is underrated. Though he's pure offense, I think his defense has improved during his collegiate career, but it still isn't great and will need improvement to be effective 5v5 in the pros.

I haven't watched much of Hanowski this season, but I was able to see him a lot last year (his breakout season). While he's exploded the last couple of seasons, there is still skepticism from me that he'll become an NHL player. We should still be excited about him. He's a very high reward player and if he pans out we have a top-6 LW with good size in the pipeline.

The thing that gets overlooked with Hanowski is that he's a great character guy--I mean he is wearing the C--he's someone you'd want in your locker room at all times.

Maybe someone can comment on his skating. I know that's been a knock on him, but I think it's a lack of speed and first step rather than his actual technique. At this point though, I'm not sure how much he can improve on that aspect.

Just got to thinking....Hanowski and Bennett on the PP

Old
01-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I reckon he will stay a defenceman, him and Clark Seymour are the physical aspect of our defensive pool, which we'll need when we start getting our more offensively minded guys in WBS.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Hanowski is hard to project when it comes to what he's going to look like when he turns pro. He's a shoot first player, but his playmaking is underrated. Though he's pure offense, I think his defense has improved during his collegiate career, but it still isn't great and will need improvement to be effective 5v5 in the pros.

I haven't watched much of Hanowski this season, but I was able to see him a lot last year (his breakout season). While he's exploded the last couple of seasons, there is still skepticism from me that he'll become an NHL player. We should still be excited about him. He's a very high reward player and if he pans out we have a top-6 LW with good size in the pipeline.

The thing that gets overlooked with Hanowski is that he's a great character guy--I mean he is wearing the C--he's someone you'd want in your locker room at all times.

Maybe someone can comment on his skating. I know that's been a knock on him, but I think it's a lack of speed and first step rather than his actual technique. At this point though, I'm not sure how much he can improve on that aspect.

Just got to thinking....Hanowski and Bennett on the PP
I think he has some Matt Moulson to his game. He's an ugly skater but his balance and power have improved. Great hand skills and shot but I think his sense is his best asset. He just finds soft spots and gets to pucks around the net.

Augie reminds me a little of TK but with better poise and a calmer game. Always happy to see a northern NJ kid do well.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

So I got the chance to watch Marcantuoni as the Rangers rolled into Owen Sound. Given Kitchener is decimated with injuries and WJC departures to key players, this stretch is a chance for Matia to step up in a big role. I've never been a fan of his since he broke into the OHL, and last night's performance did nothing to change that opinion.

The only asset he brings to the table is his skating. He's got great lateral movement and the defence is always on their toes when he gets the puck. But that's it. He does nothing with it. He's not gritty, he doesn't drive to the net. He just skates up the ice, tries something that I've seen a million times in men's league, and then usually loses the puck. This was highlighted by a third period breakaway where he had all day to do something, lost the puck completely and then bailed embarrassingly into the boards.

I know casual observers might like him because of his flashiness but honestly he's a style, not substance kind of player. Long way to go, especially in producing offence at the OHL level, before I'd say Pittsburgh signing him is a good decision.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

So... the Rico Fata comparisons really weren't that far off, then?

Bummer.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
I reckon he will stay a defenceman, him and Clark Seymour are the physical aspect of our defensive pool, which we'll need when we start getting our more offensively minded guys in WBS.
I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if Seymour ever saw NHL action. I've watched quite a few of his games as a Frontenac and now as a Pete, and he's never struck me as someone who has NHL potential. He's below average, skill-wise, even at the OHL level, and it's not like he's Scott Stevens with the body out there to make up for it.

Imagine Reid McNeil, but less defensively sound.

Closed Thread