HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
  #526
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Ferriero didn't play today and as the guy with the most NHL games of the AHL .
Ferriero was out with an undisclosed injury. Don't think he'll be in camp due to the condensed nature of things.

Sivek is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
  #527
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Shero wants the camp roster to be 24-26 players as it's going to be much more condensed than usual. Ferriero didn't play today and as the guy with the most NHL games of the AHL vets I expect he'll be there along with Tangradi and Bennett (possibly Mac but training camp is basically pointless for a guy with his specific talents). On D Bortuzzo and Strait will be there, maybe Despres and/or Reese but maybe not. Can't see either goalie going as they'll want to give Flower and Vokoun as much rubber as possible.
Interesting... I think we can all agree that some Ds will have to be moved one way or another (via trade or being plucked on waivers). It'll definitely help out Morrow's development either way since he'll finally get decent minutes.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
  #528
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bracknell,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Ferriero was out with an undisclosed injury. Don't think he'll be in camp due to the condensed nature of things.
thanks for the info, might only be Bennett and Tangradi who get called up forwards wise for camp as it doesn't sound like any of the vets have done enough to force their way into the NHL picture.

wej20 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
  #529
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 6,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I would think all of the players who signed AHL deals would have to report to Pittsburgh, at least on paper, then be assigned accordingly. Strait, Bortuzzo, Tangradi, Thiessen and Zatkoff are all still technically on the Pittsburgh roster.
They don't actually have to report to camp. They just go on the waiver wire and stay in WBS if they aren't picked up. I'm sure they already know who they want at camp. The big bosses have had plenty of time to watch WBS players. My guess would be Tangradi, Bennett, Strait, Bortuzzo, and Despres.

bigd is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
  #530
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 18,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Ferriero was out with an undisclosed injury. Don't think he'll be in camp due to the condensed nature of things.
He shouldn't be in camp because his play hasn't warranted the opportunity.

Of the FA signings, Holzapfel is really the one that should be there, maybe Peters. Ferriero, Dupuis and Smith have pretty much just been warm bodies on most nights.

Zen Arcade is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
  #531
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
They don't actually have to report to camp. They just go on the waiver wire and stay in WBS if they aren't picked up. I'm sure they already know who they want at camp. The big bosses have had plenty of time to watch WBS players. My guess would be Tangradi, Bennett, Strait, Bortuzzo, and Despres.
Why do you think I said "on paper"? Paper transactions, they happen quite often.

clefty is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 PM
  #532
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey
 
Uemoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
I've heard WBS people say Despres looks shaky, and is a defensive liability. What say you?

Uemoda is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
  #533
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Despres has always looked better at the NHL level than the AHL level imo.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
  #534
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 41,779
vCash: 500
Good players play better with good players. That's why it's important for Shero to find some good AHL fodder this offseason. It should be a fairly high priority next to re-signing some big gun NHL guys.

JTG is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
  #535
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
According to bangbodies.com Strait will join them once he's healthy.

Not that I think bangbodies is the most reliable source, but I'm glad I'm not the only one to inject some sanity and practicality into the conversation. Brian Strait is being incredibly undersold around here: suggesting he be waived, worth nothing more than a low pick at best, etc.


No, I don't think he's got tremendous upside, and yes, I do think he should be moved because I ultimately think he's redundant on this team long-term (although he could be very valuable short-term in the even we had an injury or trade of Orpik/Martin this season). But this is a guy who performed very well late last season and in the playoffs, and is a sure-fire NHL Dman. People think these players are done maturing at 24 years old. Well guess what, Strait is only going to get better and better.


I am an advocate of moving this guy in a good deal, either this season or in the summer (whenever moving/packaging him brings in the best return), but he is a fully developed prospect who is ready to be a solid NHLer. Letestu was/is a guy who was an NHL/AHL tweener who was a 4th liner at best, and a lousy one at that. Strait is a guy who is at least a decent 3rd pairing Dman at the NHL level right now, and has the ability to develop into a Scuderi-like player: a guy who can play top-4 minutes or play beside someone who's more of an offensive guy (like Scuderi does with Doughty). To me, that means he is at least worth a mid to late 2nd or early to mid 3rd round pick this year, in a good draft (or a 2nd in an average draft). People forget how inconsistent Scuderi was at this age.


Anyway, he is an absolute sure bet and deserving of being at the Pens training camp this season, and may actually fit nicely as the 7th D if Lovejoy gets moved/waived/outperformed, and/or if there's an injury.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Despres has always looked better at the NHL level than the AHL level imo.

While this is very, very rarely true for the odd player, I don't believe this is either true or necessary to be the case for Despres. There is no reason, considering his game and the type of player he is, that he shouldn't be as good or better at the AHL level than the NHL level -- and he's got some good partners to play with down there, so that shouldn't be the excuse either. Despres' problems are between the ears and he just needs to learn how to be consistent, and adjust his game as he goes up the pro ranks.


In juniors, Despres was a man amongst boys in his last year, yet he was average and struggled at times at the WJC's, with the better competition. Now that he is a pro, he doesn't always have that same size/strength advantage, nor is he as adept (yet) offensively compared to when he was in the Q. In my mind, Despres absolutely should be a consistent, effective and confident player at the AHL level before he makes the jump full-time to the NHL. Not to mention, he should also be a leader down there and one of the guys who is elevating his team's play, not the cause of their under-performance.


I don't buy the excuse that he is just better suited to the NHL game. That's just not the case with this player, and anyone who believes otherwise is wearing homer glasses.

jmelm is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:42 PM
  #536
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 52,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
While this is very, very rarely true for the odd player, I don't believe this is either true or necessary to be the case for Despres. There is no reason, considering his game and the type of player he is, that he shouldn't be as good or better at the AHL level than the NHL level -- and he's got some good partners to play with down there, so that shouldn't be the excuse either. Despres' problems are between the ears and he just needs to learn how to be consistent, and adjust his game as he goes up the pro ranks.

In juniors, Despres was a man amongst boys in his last year, yet he was average and struggled at times at the WJC's, with the better competition. Now that he is a pro, he doesn't always have that same size/strength advantage, nor is he as adept (yet) offensively compared to when he was in the Q. In my mind, Despres absolutely should be a consistent, effective and confident player at the AHL level before he makes the jump full-time to the NHL. Not to mention, he should also be a leader down there and one of the guys who is elevating his team's play, not the cause of their under-performance.

I don't buy the excuse that he is just better suited to the NHL game. That's just not the case with this player, and anyone who believes otherwise is wearing homer glasses.
Except that by all accounts, he has been, jmelm. Despres was probably the best defenseman outside of Letang for us during his call-ups.

Whatever your theoretical problems with the idea of it, Despres has been much better in the NHL than the AHL, for whatever reason.

Warm Cookies is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
  #537
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
It's got nothing to do with homer glasses. Despres has looked better in his NHL stints than his AHL stints. The NHL stints have been a much smaller sample size to be fair but he has been better.

I just wonder if WBS has players that can play the kind of uptempo skill game that Despres likes to play and thrives in. He certainly has that in Pittsburgh and maybe that makes a difference. I can't think of too many guys on WBS outside of Bennett that play a skillful game.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
  #538
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Darkness
Country: United States
Posts: 27,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Despres has always looked better at the NHL level than the AHL level imo.
Yep. That's been my observation; he's one of those guys where you can't gauge readiness by how much he dominates in the AHL. IMO he was ready last year. He's going to make the team (I like repeating that in case some folks didn't notice); he's Michalek's replacement, effectively. Borschtuzzo will get the 7 slot.

(Yes! New CBA, new player nickname. It was inevitable.)

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
  #539
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Except that by all accounts, he has been, jmelm. Despres was probably the best defenseman outside of Letang for us during his call-ups.

Whatever your theoretical problems with the idea of it, Despres has been much better in the NHL than the AHL, for whatever reason.
He was better in the NHL than in the AHL last year for sure. He was absolutely not the 2nd best d-man on the team though.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:02 PM
  #540
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 52,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
He was better in the NHL than in the AHL last year for sure. He was absolutely not the 2nd best d-man on the team though.
I disagree. You can argue that he was sheltered, but he looked better to me than anybody but Letang on the blueline during his stints...though keeping in mind that the majority of our defensemen had very poor seasons.

Warm Cookies is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
  #541
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Yeah, Being the 2nd best D-Man on the Pens last year ain't really saying much.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
  #542
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I disagree. You can argue that he was sheltered, but he looked better to me than anybody but Letang on the blueline during his stints...though keeping in mind that the majority of our defensemen had very poor seasons.
honestly, I think he was too sheltered to really have a fair assessment

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
  #543
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 13,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Not that I think bangbodies is the most reliable source, but I'm glad I'm not the only one to inject some sanity and practicality into the conversation. Brian Strait is being incredibly undersold around here: suggesting he be waived, worth nothing more than a low pick at best, etc.

No, I don't think he's got tremendous upside, and yes, I do think he should be moved because I ultimately think he's redundant on this team long-term (although he could be very valuable short-term in the even we had an injury or trade of Orpik/Martin this season). But this is a guy who performed very well late last season and in the playoffs, and is a sure-fire NHL Dman. People think these players are done maturing at 24 years old. Well guess what, Strait is only going to get better and better.
I think most people agree with your evaluation here.
But the fact remains that if he doesn't get a spot on the big team right off the bat, we are going to have to deal or waive him.

And as he has not done anything in the NHL yet, we will be lucky to get a Letestu-like return for him. That is no indictment on his skills. It would be absolutely no surprise to me if Strait has a career like Scuderi.

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
  #544
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Yeah, I've always liked Brian Strait. I'd definitely waive Ben Lovejoy before him.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
  #545
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL, 15-15-2-1, 4th in East Division)

The slumping Baby Pens broke a 6 game winless streak Dec 22 against Syracuse, making John Hynes the winningest head coach in team history (116-56-10). After that they went back to another 5 game losing streak in which they totalled only 5 goals. That one ended Jan 5 with Brad Thiessen's first shutout of the season, 3-0 against Worcester.

Beau Bennett returned to action Dec 31 after missing 5 games with an undisclosed injury. His play has been one of the very few bright spots in an otherwise dismal month marred by a horrific team-wide scoring drought. A few examples: Eric Tangradi has 1 goal in 19 games since he scored a hat trick on Nov 16, and no goals in his last 12 games. Phil Dupuis has no points in his last 8 games and last scored a goal Oct 26. And Joe Morrow has not scored since Oct 19.

On the injury front Tom Kühnhackl went on IR with a busted shoulder Dec 1. It is not the same one he dislocated two years ago in Windsor but he is still out indefinitely. Keven Veilleux sat out all of December to further rehab his surgically repaired knee. He recently returned to training and should be ready to play within a week.

*F Beau Bennett (21, 1st rd. '10): 6-17-23, 14 PIM, +1 (28 gp)
F Trevor Smith (27, free agent '12): 11-10-21, 29 PIM, +0
F Riley Holzapfel (24, free agent '12): 9-12-21, 26 PIM, +0
F Benn Ferriero (25, free agent '12): 4-14-18, 14 PIM, -1 (32 gp)
F Eric Tangradi (23, trade with ANA '09): 10-7-17, 57 PIM, -9 (31 gp)
F Paul Thompson (24, free agent '11): 9-6-15, 48 PIM, -1 (30 gp)
F Brian Gibbons (24, free agent '11): 4-9-13, 8 PIM, -6 (28 gp)
D Dylan Reese (28, free agent '12): 3-8-11, 18 PIM, +0 (27 gp)
F Philippe Dupuis (27, free agent '12): 2-9-11, 10 PIM, -6 (30 gp)
*D Brian Dumoulin (21, trade with CAR '12): 2-7-9, 10 PIM, -7 (30 gp)
F Warren Peters (30, free agent '12): 5-3-8, 52 PIM, -1
*D Joseph Morrow (20, 1st rd. '11): 1-7-8, 29 PIM, -7 (26 gp)
D Simon Després (21, 1st rd. '09): 4-3-7, 28 PIM, -3 (25 gp)
*F Jayson Megna (22, free agent '12): 3-3-6, 4 PIM, -5 (16 gp)
D Philip Samuelsson (21, 2nd rd. '09): 1-4-5, 26 PIM, +2 (23 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (20, 4th rd. '10): 2-2-4, 6 PIM, +3 (11 gp)
D Robert Bortuzzo (23, 3rd rd. '07): 1-2-3, 32 PIM, +4 (26 gp)
*F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 0-2-2, 31 PIM, -1 (19 gp)
*F Adam Payerl (21, free agent '12): 1-0-1, 5 PIM, +0
D Alex Grant (23, 4th rd. '07): 0-1-1, 31 PIM, -2 (13 gp)
F Zack Sill (24, free agent '11): 0-1-1, 17 PIM, +0 (14 gp)
D Carl Sneep (25, 2nd rd. '06): 0-0-0, 0 PIM, +0 (1 gp)
F Keven Veilleux (23, 2nd rd. '07): 0-0-0, 7 PIM, -1 (4 gp)
F Steve MacIntyre (32, free agent '11): 0-0-0, 38 PIM, -2 (15 gp)
D Brian Strait (25, 3rd rd. '06): 0-0-0, 34 PIM, -6 (23 gp)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Jeff Zatkoff (25, free agent '12): 11-11-0, 2.22 GAA, .912 SP, 3 SO
G Brad Thiessen (26, free agent '09): 4-6-1, 3.11 GAA, .894 SP, 1 SO


Wheeling Nailers (ECHL, 15-12-2-4, 2nd in Atlantic Division)

Bringing back defender Andrew Hotham via trade and getting last season's ECHL Rookie of the Year Chris Barton back from IR helped has paid off nicely for Wheeling who went on a 6 game winning streak in mid-December. Hotham has 17 points in 16 games as a Nailer while Barton racked up 8 goals in 10 games since his return.

Adam Payerl and Reid McNeill have now been out for almost two months with undisclosed injuries. Patrick Killeen joined them Dec 10 with a hand injury, he has been replaced with Habs prospect Peter Delmas.

D Carl Sneep (25, 2nd rd. '06): 2-10-12, 17 PIM, +10 (25 gp)
F Keven Veilleux (23, 2nd rd. '07): 2-1-3, 0 PIM, +0 (4 gp)
*D Reid McNeill (20, 6th rd. '10): 0-3-3, 17 PIM, -2 (12 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (20, 4th rd. '10): 1-0-1, 2 PIM, +2 (2 gp)
*F Adam Payerl (21, free agent '12): 1-0-1, 5 PIM, +0 (1 gp)
*F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 0-1-1, 0 PIM, +0 (3 gp)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Patrick Killeen (22, 6th rd. '08): 3-5-2-2, 3.25 GAA, .880 SP, 0 SO



NCAA

Alex Velischek leads Providence in Plus/Minus, Kenny Agostino is again topscorer at Yale. Josh Archibald recorded his first collegiate hat trick in UNO's 8-6 win over Colorado Jan 4.

Teddy Blueger had 3 point games Dec 1 and Dec 14 before joining Latvia for the WJC. Lacking their top player Girgensons the Latvians could not stave off relegation to Div-I next year. Blueger scored only 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games despite leading his team in shots.

Seniors
D Nick D'Agostino (22, 7th rd. '08) - Cornell (7-6-2, 5th in ECAC): 2-7-9, 10 PIM, +5
F Ben Hanowski (22, 3rd rd. '09) - St. Cloud State (12-10-0, 2nd in WCHA): 7-8-15, 10 PIM, +1 (17 gp)
D Alex Velischek (22, 5th rd. '09) - Providence (7-8-3, 4th in Hockey East): 0-6-6, 22 PIM, +14

Juniors
F Bryan Rust (20, 3rd rd. '10) - Notre Dame (14-4-0, 1st in CCHA): 5-9-14, 2 PIM, +13
F Kenneth Agostino (20, 5th rd. '10) - Yale (7-4-3, 7th in ECAC): 7-10-17, 18 PIM, -2

Sophomores
F Josh Archibald (20, 6th rd. '11) - Nebraska-Omaha (13-8-1, 1st in WCHA): 11-10-21, 22 PIM, +15
F Scott Wilson (20, 7th rd. '11) - UMass-Lowell (9-7-1, 8th in Hockey East): 4-9-13, 10 PIM, -1

Freshmen
*F Teodor Blueger (18, 2nd rd. '12) - Minnesota State (14-6-2, 5th in WCHA): 2-10-12, 18 PIM, +1 (18 gp)
*G Sean Maguire (19, 4th rd. '12) - Boston University (11-6-0, 3rd in Hockey East): 4-2-0, 1.98 GAA, .930 SP, 2 SO



JUNIOR LEAGUES

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League:

After missing some league games due to the Russian WJC camp Anton Zlobin won QMHJL Player of the Week for the last week of 2012 after putting up 9 points in two games, including 3+3 against Rouyn-Noranda Dec 30. The six-pointer matched the Foreurs' club record set by one Kris Letang in 05-06. Zlobin has moved up to 8th in league-wide scoring.

Val d'Or Foreurs (20-17-0-3, 4th in Telus West Division)
F Anton Zlobin (19, 6th rd. '12): 20-33-53, 12 PIM, +10 (34 gp)


Ontario Hockey League:

Scott Harrington and Olli Määttä were alternate captains for Canada and Finland at the World Junior Championship in Russia. Both teams disappointed with Canada ending up 4th and Finland even having to play in the relegation round. Harrington finished with 2 assists in 6 games, his +5 rating topped Canada's defensemen. Määttä scored 1 goal and 2 assists in 5 games. Without their two top defensemen London finally snapped a 24 game winning streak with an overtime loss to Sarnia on New Year's Day. Matia Marcantuoni is on an 11 game goalless streak and last on the Rangers in Plus/Minus.

London Knights (34-5-1-2, 1st in Midwest Division)
D Scott Harrington (19, 2nd rd. '11): 1-9-10, 20 PIM, +9 (33 gp)
D Olli Määttä (18, 1st rd. '12): 3-21-24, 22 PIM, +9 (32 gp)

Kitchener Rangers (21-13-1-4, 4th in Midwest Division)
F Matia Marcantuoni (18, 4th rd. '12): 4-10-14, 16 PIM, -12 (35 gp)

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (20-18-2-0, 3rd in West Division)
G Matthew Murray (18, 3rd rd. '12): 16-14-1-0, 3.57 GAA, .899 SP, 0 SO

Peterborough Petes (11-24-3-2, 4th in East Division)
D Clark Seymour (19, 5th rd. '12): 2-8-10, 32 PIM, -13 (37 gp)


Western Hockey League:

Derrick Pouliot had fights in back to back games Dec 7 and 9, the latter completing a Gordie Howe hat trick. He did not make the Canadian WJC team, instead returning to the Winterhawks where he suffered a lower-body injury in mid-December and is now out week-to-week. Portland is currently on a 10 game winning streak and 1st in the entire league. After matching his career high early in the season Harrison Ruopp has hit an 18 game pointless streak as the Raiders are cooling off after an improbably great start.

Portland Winterhawks (33-5-1-0, 1st in U.S. Division)
D Derrick Pouliot (18, 1st rd. '12): 8-28-36, 45 PIM, +26 (35 gp)

Prince Albert Raiders (24-14-0-3, 1st in East Division)
D Harrison Ruopp (19, trade with PHO '12): 1-8-9, 68 PIM, +13



EUROPE

Alex Pechurskiy is soldily in the top 5 in every important goaltending category in the Russian 2nd tier pro league.

After finishing his junior team's regular season in mid-December, with 26 points in 26 games, Oscar Sundqvist was invited to the Swedish WJC camp but did not make the team. He was then called up to Skellefteå's senior team, scoring his first pro goal and point in his 7th game. It was the GWG in a 2-0 win over Frölunda Jan 5.

Yuzhny Ural Orsk (23-11-3-0, 3rd in Russian Major League)
G Alexander Pechurskiy (22, 5th rd. '08): 17-7-2, 1.74 GAA, .938 SP, 4 SO

Skellefteå AIK (22-10-2-1, 1st in Swedish Elitserien)
*F Oscar Sundqvist (18, 3rd rd. '12): 1-0-1, 4 PIM, +0 (7 gp)


Last edited by Burgs: 01-06-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Burgs is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:07 PM
  #546
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,968
vCash: 500
We need to get Zlobin into the A. Im loving this kid. Never heard about him until the draft but more I watch the more he impresses me. He could turn out to be one hell of a steal.

He could end up being our Datsyuk or Zetterburg or Robitaille...which we could definitely use.

I find no pity for the WBS scoring woes. DRAFT ALLS THE DMENZ!!!!

SEALBound is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
  #547
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yep. That's been my observation; he's one of those guys where you can't gauge readiness by how much he dominates in the AHL. IMO he was ready last year. He's going to make the team (I like repeating that in case some folks didn't notice); he's Michalek's replacement, effectively. Borschtuzzo will get the 7 slot.

(Yes! New CBA, new player nickname. It was inevitable.)
Lets hope not. I wouldn't mind him in the bottom pairing, but he hasn't shown he's top 4 ready. The Pens need to get another top 4 d-man, if not before the start of the season, then before the trade deadline.

I don't know where some of you get the idea that these prospects (some who have never played in the NHL yet) can suddenly come up and preform at a top 4 level...

Shockmaster is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
  #548
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Except that by all accounts, he has been, jmelm. Despres was probably the best defenseman outside of Letang for us during his call-ups.

Whatever your theoretical problems with the idea of it, Despres has been much better in the NHL than the AHL, for whatever reason.

I don't think so, and then I saw this quote, so I see I'm not alone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
honestly, I think he was too sheltered to really have a fair assessment

Please don't get me wrong. It's not that I didn't think Despres was good last season; but I'm a little more tempered about his play. I do feel in large part that he was too sheltered to get a fair assessment, and equally that it was also a small sample size. As I said in my above post, and this is true of most young defenseman in the league: it is so critical to play with consistency, be reliable, and play at the same level game by game, week by week, month by month. There have been SO many players who have done well in short bursts, because adrenaline is taking over and confidence is fragile. Despres did some good things.


But he is not fully developed between the ears, nor has that consistency, yet. You want to see a model of consistency? Scott Harrington. Want to see another one? Letang is pretty darn consistent. Morrow obviously isn't there yet, but where I disagree with many others is that I don't think Despres is there yet either. Heck, most NHL Dmen don't become consistent until their late twenties or sometimes later, so this isn't a knock on the player. But it's also why I think Despres could benefit from some more time in WBS.


If he truly outperforms others and can keep it up, I have no problem with him being in the NHL, because he is physically ready. But if he isn't playing consistently well, then let other guys who are performing better (Bortuzzo) play in the NHL, and let Despres develop and get more minutes in the AHL rather than being sheltered in the NHL. Again, way too small a sample size to suggest that he's better at the NHL level. It's actually a total load of ******** (not that he hasn't done well here, but that it will always be that way).


Despres has every reason to be able to be a dominant, all-star type #1 Dman at the AHL level. There's nothing about his game that precludes that, and when he gets there or close to it, that's when he should be in the NHL, and that's when I'm willing to trade/waive/dump/buy-out other guys to make space for him. He hasn't made Orpik or Martin expendible yet, and I don't think he should be getting 8 or 10 mins per game or be sitting in the press box. Lovejoy or Strait is fine for that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I've always liked Brian Strait. I'd definitely waive Ben Lovejoy before him.

Exactly, and based on my line-up, we can either carry both, or waive/trade Lovejoy and have Strait take his place. It's a no-brainer and Strait has more value as an asset than Lovejoy. So if we can't work out a good deal for Strait yet, or we want the depth for this season because a guy like Despres may not quite be ready, then I think Strait is ideal for the job as the #7.

jmelm is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 AM
  #549
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL, 15-15-2-1, 4th in East Division)

The slumping Baby Pens broke a 6 game winless streak Dec 22 against Syracuse, making John Hynes the winningest head coach in team history (116-56-10). After that they went back to another 5 game losing streak in which they totalled only 5 goals. That one ended Jan 5 with Brad Thiessen's first shutout of the season, 3-0 against Worcester.

Beau Bennett returned to action Dec 31 after missing 5 games with an undisclosed injury. His play has been one of the very few bright spots in an otherwise dismal month marred by a horrific team-wide scoring drought. A few examples: Eric Tangradi has 1 goal in 19 games since he scored a hat trick on Nov 16, and no goals in his last 12 games. Phil Dupuis has no points in his last 8 games and last scored a goal Oct 26. And Joe Morrow has not scored since Oct 19.

On the injury front Tom Kühnhackl went on IR with a busted shoulder Dec 1. It is not the same one he dislocated two years ago in Windsor but he is still out indefinitely. Keven Veilleux sat out all of December to further rehab his surgically repaired knee. He recently returned to training and should be ready to play within a week.

*F Beau Bennett (21, 1st rd. '10): 6-17-23, 14 PIM, +1 (28 gp)
F Trevor Smith (27, free agent '12): 11-10-21, 29 PIM, +0
F Riley Holzapfel (24, free agent '12): 9-12-21, 26 PIM, +0
F Benn Ferriero (25, free agent '12): 4-14-18, 14 PIM, -1 (32 gp)
F Eric Tangradi (23, trade with ANA '09): 10-7-17, 57 PIM, -9 (31 gp)
F Paul Thompson (24, free agent '11): 9-6-15, 48 PIM, -1 (30 gp)
F Brian Gibbons (24, free agent '11): 4-9-13, 8 PIM, -6 (28 gp)
D Dylan Reese (28, free agent '12): 3-8-11, 18 PIM, +0 (27 gp)
F Philippe Dupuis (27, free agent '12): 2-9-11, 10 PIM, -6 (30 gp)
*D Brian Dumoulin (21, trade with CAR '12): 2-7-9, 10 PIM, -7 (30 gp)
F Warren Peters (30, free agent '12): 5-3-8, 52 PIM, -1
*D Joseph Morrow (20, 1st rd. '11): 1-7-8, 29 PIM, -7 (26 gp)
D Simon Després (21, 1st rd. '09): 4-3-7, 28 PIM, -3 (25 gp)
*F Jayson Megna (22, free agent '12): 3-3-6, 4 PIM, -5 (16 gp)
D Philip Samuelsson (21, 2nd rd. '09): 1-4-5, 26 PIM, +2 (23 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (20, 4th rd. '10): 2-2-4, 6 PIM, +3 (11 gp)
D Robert Bortuzzo (23, 3rd rd. '07): 1-2-3, 32 PIM, +4 (26 gp)
*F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 0-2-2, 31 PIM, -1 (19 gp)
*F Adam Payerl (21, free agent '12): 1-0-1, 5 PIM, +0
D Alex Grant (23, 4th rd. '07): 0-1-1, 31 PIM, -2 (13 gp)
F Zack Sill (24, free agent '11): 0-1-1, 17 PIM, +0 (14 gp)
D Carl Sneep (25, 2nd rd. '06): 0-0-0, 0 PIM, +0 (1 gp)
F Keven Veilleux (23, 2nd rd. '07): 0-0-0, 7 PIM, -1 (4 gp)
F Steve MacIntyre (32, free agent '11): 0-0-0, 38 PIM, -2 (15 gp)
D Brian Strait (25, 3rd rd. '06): 0-0-0, 34 PIM, -6 (23 gp)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Jeff Zatkoff (25, free agent '12): 11-11-0, 2.22 GAA, .912 SP, 3 SO
G Brad Thiessen (26, free agent '09): 4-6-1, 3.11 GAA, .894 SP, 1 SO


Wheeling Nailers (ECHL, 15-12-2-4, 2nd in Atlantic Division)

Bringing back defender Andrew Hotham via trade and getting last season's ECHL Rookie of the Year Chris Barton back from IR helped has paid off nicely for Wheeling who went on a 6 game winning streak in mid-December. Hotham has 17 points in 16 games as a Nailer while Barton racked up 8 goals in 10 games since his return.

Adam Payerl and Reid McNeill have now been out for almost two months with undisclosed injuries. Patrick Killeen joined them Dec 10 with a hand injury, he has been replaced with Habs prospect Peter Delmas.

D Carl Sneep (25, 2nd rd. '06): 2-10-12, 17 PIM, +10 (25 gp)
F Keven Veilleux (23, 2nd rd. '07): 2-1-3, 0 PIM, +0 (4 gp)
*D Reid McNeill (20, 6th rd. '10): 0-3-3, 17 PIM, -2 (12 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (20, 4th rd. '10): 1-0-1, 2 PIM, +2 (2 gp)
*F Adam Payerl (21, free agent '12): 1-0-1, 5 PIM, +0 (1 gp)
*F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 0-1-1, 0 PIM, +0 (3 gp)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Patrick Killeen (22, 6th rd. '08): 3-5-2-2, 3.25 GAA, .880 SP, 0 SO



NCAA

Alex Velischek leads Providence in Plus/Minus, Kenny Agostino is again topscorer at Yale. Josh Archibald recorded his first collegiate hat trick in UNO's 8-6 win over Colorado Jan 4.

Teddy Blueger had 3 point games Dec 1 and Dec 14 before joining Latvia for the WJC. Lacking their top player Girgensons the Latvians could not stave off relegation to Div-I next year. Blueger scored only 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games despite leading his team in shots.

Seniors
D Nick D'Agostino (22, 7th rd. '08) - Cornell (7-6-2, 5th in ECAC): 2-7-9, 10 PIM, +5
F Ben Hanowski (22, 3rd rd. '09) - St. Cloud State (12-10-0, 2nd in WCHA): 7-8-15, 10 PIM, +1 (17 gp)
D Alex Velischek (22, 5th rd. '09) - Providence (7-8-3, 4th in Hockey East): 0-6-6, 22 PIM, +14

Juniors
F Bryan Rust (20, 3rd rd. '10) - Notre Dame (14-4-0, 1st in CCHA): 5-9-14, 2 PIM, +13
F Kenneth Agostino (20, 5th rd. '10) - Yale (7-4-3, 7th in ECAC): 7-10-17, 18 PIM, -2

Sophomores
F Josh Archibald (20, 6th rd. '11) - Nebraska-Omaha (13-8-1, 1st in WCHA): 11-10-21, 22 PIM, +15
F Scott Wilson (20, 7th rd. '11) - UMass-Lowell (9-7-1, 8th in Hockey East): 4-9-13, 10 PIM, -1

Freshmen
*F Teodor Blueger (18, 2nd rd. '12) - Minnesota State (14-6-2, 5th in WCHA): 2-10-12, 18 PIM, +1 (18 gp)
*G Sean Maguire (19, 4th rd. '12) - Boston University (11-6-0, 3rd in Hockey East): 4-2-0, 1.98 GAA, .930 SP, 2 SO



JUNIOR LEAGUES

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League:

After missing some league games due to the Russian WJC camp Anton Zlobin won QMHJL Player of the Week for the last week of 2012 after putting up 9 points in two games, including 3+3 against Rouyn-Noranda Dec 30. The six-pointer matched the Foreurs' club record set by one Kris Letang in 05-06. Zlobin has moved up to 8th in league-wide scoring.

Val d'Or Foreurs (20-17-0-3, 4th in Telus West Division)
F Anton Zlobin (19, 6th rd. '12): 20-33-53, 12 PIM, +10 (34 gp)


Ontario Hockey League:

Scott Harrington and Olli Määttä were alternate captains for Canada and Finland at the World Junior Championship in Russia. Both teams disappointed with Canada ending up 4th and Finland even having to play in the relegation round. Harrington finished with 2 assists in 6 games, his +5 rating topped Canada's defensemen. Määttä scored 1 goal and 2 assists in 5 games. Without their two top defensemen London finally snapped a 24 game winning streak with an overtime loss to Sarnia on New Year's Day. Matia Marcantuoni is on an 11 game goalless streak and last on the Rangers in Plus/Minus.

London Knights (34-5-1-2, 1st in Midwest Division)
D Scott Harrington (19, 2nd rd. '11): 1-9-10, 20 PIM, +9 (33 gp)
D Olli Määttä (18, 1st rd. '12): 3-21-24, 22 PIM, +9 (32 gp)

Kitchener Rangers (21-13-1-4, 4th in Midwest Division)
F Matia Marcantuoni (18, 4th rd. '12): 4-10-14, 16 PIM, -12 (35 gp)

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (20-18-2-0, 3rd in West Division)
G Matthew Murray (18, 3rd rd. '12): 16-14-1-0, 3.57 GAA, .899 SP, 0 SO

Peterborough Petes (11-24-3-2, 4th in East Division)
D Clark Seymour (19, 5th rd. '12): 2-8-10, 32 PIM, -13 (37 gp)


Western Hockey League:

Derrick Pouliot had fights in back to back games Dec 7 and 9, the latter completing a Gordie Howe hat trick. He did not make the Canadian WJC team, instead returning to the Winterhawks where he suffered a lower-body injury in mid-December and is now out week-to-week. Portland is currently on a 10 game winning streak and 1st in the entire league. After matching his career high early in the season Harrison Ruopp has hit an 18 game pointless streak as the Raiders are cooling off after an improbably great start.

Portland Winterhawks (33-5-1-0, 1st in U.S. Division)
D Derrick Pouliot (18, 1st rd. '12): 8-28-36, 45 PIM, +26 (35 gp)

Prince Albert Raiders (24-14-0-3, 1st in East Division)
D Harrison Ruopp (19, trade with PHO '12): 1-8-9, 68 PIM, +13



EUROPE

Alex Pechurskiy is soldily in the top 5 in every important goaltending category in the Russian 2nd tier pro league.

After finishing his junior team's regular season in mid-December, with 26 points in 26 games, Oscar Sundqvist was invited to the Swedish WJC camp but did not make the team. He was then called up to Skellefteå's senior team, scoring his first pro goal and point in his 7th game. It was the GWG in a 2-0 win over Frölunda Jan 5.

Yuzhny Ural Orsk (23-11-3-0, 3rd in Russian Major League)
G Alexander Pechurskiy (22, 5th rd. '08): 17-7-2, 1.74 GAA, .938 SP, 4 SO

Skellefteå AIK (22-10-2-1, 1st in Swedish Elitserien)
*F Oscar Sundqvist (18, 3rd rd. '12): 1-0-1, 4 PIM, +0 (7 gp)
I think Marcantuoni has to be considered the biggest disappointment so far this season. I expected big things out of him, and was excited when the Pens drafted him. Instead, he's producing what you'd expect from a 16 year old rookie, not a 3rd year player who was just drafted by a NHL club.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
  #550
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think Marcantuoni has to be considered the biggest disappointment so far this season. I expected big things out of him, and was excited when the Pens drafted him. Instead, he's producing what you'd expect from a 16 year old rookie, not a 3rd year player who was just drafted by a NHL club.

Oh well, I don't regret rolling the dice on a guy like that in the 4th round, especially in an average draft where we had a few extra pics. It's too bad, however, that we didn't choose Andreas Athanasiou instead, since they are almost the same player (skates like Bure/Afinogenov), but is producing at a much better pace. Detroit again...

jmelm is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.