HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No more!! The fans are the ones losing, will you pledge? *Just Drop It campaign*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2012, 05:22 PM
  #126
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,791
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The NHL only exists for 1 purpose only , and that is to make the owners money.

Just like any business enterprise, the company's only obligation is to make profit for the company.

Fans( Customers) need to understand this. The NHL owes you nothing.
I'd argue that customers who have purchased their season tickets are owed something - about three months of hockey games that have been cancelled.

Just like any business enterprise, it is 10 times harder to get a new customer than to retain an existing customer. The NHL is starting to lose some of its existing customers. It's amazing how quickly the basics of business are lost during a fight like this.

That said, the only fallout from this lockout that will be noticed by players & owners is a loss in revenue. They won't care very much about demonstrations of disappointment made by fans at a game that they've already paid for.

Without the fans, the NHL doesn't exist.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:33 PM
  #127
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The NHL only exists for 1 purpose only , and that is to make the owners money.

Just like any business enterprise, the company's only obligation is to make profit for the company.

Fans( Customers) need to understand this. The NHL owes you nothing.

I don't get your point. Without fans massively paying top dollar for tickets, merchandise, internet pass, any major league in the world would be in trouble.

Yashintangibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
  #128
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The NHL only exists for 1 purpose only , and that is to make the owners money.

Just like any business enterprise, the company's only obligation is to make profit for the company.

Fans( Customers) need to understand this. The NHL owes you nothing.
That's simply not true. The NHL owes the fans everything in fact. How can you be a business and expect to be profitable with the mentality you owe nothing to the ones who make your enterprise viable?

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
  #129
Ceux de Montreal
help
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
I like that.

I know I don't give a crap about 2012-2013 NHL season.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
  #130
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I like that.

I know I don't give a crap about 2012-2013 NHL season.
Ditto. I love hockey. But at this point I could care less about the NHL. It's not even an issue of whether my own, personal boycott will do anything, it's that I don't care. I don't even want to watch games. There's plenty of beer leagues and AHL teams nearby for me to stay sane until the NHL eventually sucks me in again. But it's gonna be a few years and I couldn't care less whether the owners miss my money or not.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
  #131
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I have no interest in activism that wont accomplish anything anyway.

I just want my hockey. I was supposed to get Rick Nash for my birthday. I got it but its still hiding in the closet. I just wanna open that gift and forget the lockout happened.
I strongly disagree that an effective limited boycott won't have an impact in the future.

I don't expect die hard fans to cancel their STH, but what happens if people stop buying concessions or the Center Ice package? I've got CI for 10+ years running, and I'm not getting it this or next year. If 100,000 people dropped CI, that's a. $20m hit to the NHL and the PA.

The owners feel comfortable locking out the players because the fans all came back last time. I think MLB's labor peace is primarily due to the fact that the parties involved don't want to kill the goose laying the golden eggs. The NHL and NHLPA both think the $3.3B is invulnerable, which is why the risk a lockout.

If the fans make them hurt economicallyt, they'll think LONG and hard before doing this again.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
  #132
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr
 
MaritimeHockeyNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Took the pledge. Besides GO MOOSEHEADS!

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
  #133
Dr Good Vibes
Registered User
 
Dr Good Vibes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
That video in the OP is a joke.

The fact is that the only reason this pledge, and the video got made is because hockey fans DO care so much and DO want hockey. Showing a bunch of die hards in jerseys and merchandise claiming the ability to resist the NHL when it comes back is ironic, isn't it?

If it was easy not to watch the NHL for us fans, why make the video? Why make this movement?

I think the reality is that we all will come back when they stop striking. It's so easy to say you won't but let's be real.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
  #134
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,389
vCash: 500
Throw Scott Hartnell as another name of a player who sounds like an egghead during this lockout.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20423971.html

He literally said that he can't see how Roman Hamrlik's teammates will defend him once they are back on the ice after his anti-Fehr comments. Honestly Scott? Honestly? Aside from the fact Hartnell looks like a homeless guy playing a guitar he looks even stupider saying that. Where did it get the players to "stand behind" Bob Goodenow in 2004? Nothing. Nowhere. It is as if they have learned nothing, and not only that but they have forgotten everything.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
  #135
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Throw Scott Hartnell as another name of a player who sounds like an egghead during this lockout.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20423971.html

He literally said that he can't see how Roman Hamrlik's teammates will defend him once they are back on the ice after his anti-Fehr comments. Honestly Scott? Honestly? Aside from the fact Hartnell looks like a homeless guy playing a guitar he looks even stupider saying that. Where did it get the players to "stand behind" Bob Goodenow in 2004? Nothing. Nowhere. It is as if they have learned nothing, and not only that but they have forgotten everything.
most of them are not very well educated. especially the Flyers

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
  #136
Bullet
Registered User
 
Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Is it Time to Threaten a Boycott of the NHL?

Your thoughts?

Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:39 PM
  #137
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,285
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
Your thoughts?
Isn't that what this entire thread has been about?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
  #138
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 6964
Anyone making this pledge doesn't watch hockey or is full of ****.

They figure they might have to give up watching a handful of games, once a deal is signed, and it will be some sort of ultimate sacrifice. Pfffft.

What if the entire season is cancelled and the NHL and the PA don't sign a deal until this time next year? Are all these lemmings going to stay away from their team for a full 82 games? While every other fan is watching and cheering?

Yeah, right guys.

This reminds me of the smoker who tells everyone he's gonna quit after this pack is done. Or the drinker who swears to kick the booze after throwing up at the New Year's party. Or the 350 pounder who promises to change his eating habits and get some exercise.

Take the pledge so later you can deny taking it and hope nobody remembers or holds you to it.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:30 AM
  #139
Bougieman
Registered User
 
Bougieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,796
vCash: 500
Polling NHL fans on their feelings on the lockout.
http://www.sys-con.com/node/2483733

This stat was interesting to me, in terms of my earlier statements in this thread:

"When asked: "what level of financial support will you provide to the NHL when the games resume?", one in ten respondents on both sides of the border indicated they would spend the same amount of money on NHL-related products and services. The majority of fans (75% in the US and 82% in Canada) said they would spend "less" money on the NHL when it resumes play. Fourteen percent (14%) of American fans and 8% of Canadian fans have not yet decided what their financial support would be when the games commence."

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
  #140
Haj
Registered User
 
Haj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 50
I took the pledge.

You can argue about how effective it is, whether the movement is a "joke" or not...but I'm doing what I think is necessary to express my anger and disgust.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:21 AM
  #141
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,952
vCash: 500
Count me in.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
  #142
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Anyone making this pledge doesn't watch hockey or is full of ****.

They figure they might have to give up watching a handful of games, once a deal is signed, and it will be some sort of ultimate sacrifice. Pfffft.

What if the entire season is cancelled and the NHL and the PA don't sign a deal until this time next year? Are all these lemmings going to stay away from their team for a full 82 games? While every other fan is watching and cheering?

Yeah, right guys.

This reminds me of the smoker who tells everyone he's gonna quit after this pack is done. Or the drinker who swears to kick the booze after throwing up at the New Year's party. Or the 350 pounder who promises to change his eating habits and get some exercise.

Take the pledge so later you can deny taking it and hope nobody remembers or holds you to it.
Strongly disagree. I'm not suggesting that people go "cold turkey" on the NHL, which would be "cutting off your nose to spite your face" IMO. I am just suggesting fans minimize the amount of financial support they provide to the lowest level possible.

Totally realize that STH's in markets with waiting lists are highly unlikely to give them up, and I wouldn't expect them to regardless. What I would suggest to them is that they don't purchase concessions while at the game, and don't purchase any NHL merchandise.

I'm dropping Center Ice which I've had for 10+ years. I'll still watch the Hawks games on FSN, and catch whatever I can on NBC and the NHLN. It's not a "huge hit" to the NHL, but I truly feel like both parties act like they do because they feel like the game is invulnerable, and they can do whatever they want without any long term ramifications. The consumers enable both sides into believing that they don't have to worry about the fans - which allows them to not have a sense of urgency when negotiating.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:09 PM
  #143
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,523
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Good Vibes View Post
That video in the OP is a joke.

The fact is that the only reason this pledge, and the video got made is because hockey fans DO care so much and DO want hockey. Showing a bunch of die hards in jerseys and merchandise claiming the ability to resist the NHL when it comes back is ironic, isn't it?

If it was easy not to watch the NHL for us fans, why make the video? Why make this movement?

I think the reality is that we all will come back when they stop striking. It's so easy to say you won't but let's be real.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.