HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 11:11 AM
TS Quint

vCash: 500
The bi polar Odd Couple of the HF Red Wings board Newfy (loves everything) and Captain Bob (hates everything). Sign these guys up to a Wings radio show.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:29 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I haven't seen him play at all. What I can say is that the highlight reels haven't been very impressive. His stats aren't indicative of some great talent.

What I see is another Randy Cameron, Zach Torquato, Tyler Haskins.
Undboutedly, he'll be good enough for an ECHL position. But the question is, is he worth an NHL contract?
We've only got so many to go around.

From Quine's draft, Jurco, Oulette and Sproul already have deals. Tvrdon, Backman and Marcheno are likely to get deals. Nedomlel might get a deal. We've got Frk, Paterson, Athanasiou getting deals the next year.

We're still waiting for Pulkinnen and Jarnkrok to come over and Jensen to sign.
Cameron who could barely produce in the Q, Torquato who couldnt skate etc. Its obvious you havent watched him if youre going to compare him to those players. He produced over a ppg last year, was a second overall OHL pick and is a solid 2 way player.

Hes one of our best skating prospects and you compare him to Torquato, you let guys like Nestrasil and Coetzee go to make room for young prospects, you dont just let decent young guys walk because you have a lot of decent young guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
The bi polar Odd Couple of the HF Red Wings board Newfy (loves everything) and Captain Bob (hates everything). Sign these guys up to a Wings radio show.
Definitely dont love everything lol I dont even think Quine is that great of a prospect but when youre questioning if he should get a contract I think its pretty obvious he should based on his skating alone. You dont have to be great to get an NHL contract and play in the minor leagues, but you also shouldnt just let a guy whose putting up over a ppg for 2 years, is good defensively and one of the wings fastest prospects just walk either. But like I said, one of us watch these guys and the other one looks at plus minus.

How many on here would look at the stat sheet and say Ferraro didnt deserve a contract?

Old
12-23-2012, 12:25 PM
ChadS

I'd say Quine has a 9/10 chance to get a contract. It's not 100% sure but he's very very close. Someone said his offense is questionable? In his 21 games he has 21 points and the Pete's have scored 47 times in those games. That's a point on ~45% of their goals, which is not too bad.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Cameron who could barely produce in the Q, Torquato who couldnt skate etc. Its obvious you havent watched him if youre going to compare him to those players. He produced over a ppg last year, was a second overall OHL pick and is a solid 2 way player.

Hes one of our best skating prospects and you compare him to Torquato, you let guys like Nestrasil and Coetzee go to make room for young prospects, you dont just let decent young guys walk because you have a lot of decent young guys.
Sorry, man, You draw a line somewhere.
You might want to take 5'11 Quine. But 6'2 Nestrasil has something our organization lacks.

Quote:
Definitely dont love everything lol I dont even think Quine is that great of a prospect but when youre questioning if he should get a contract I think its pretty obvious he should based on his skating alone. You dont have to be great to get an NHL contract and play in the minor leagues, but you also shouldnt just let a guy whose putting up over a ppg for 2 years, is good defensively and one of the wings fastest prospects just walk either. But like I said, one of us watch these guys and the other one looks at plus minus.

How many on here would look at the stat sheet and say Ferraro didnt deserve a contract?
Quine is a good skater. But he's not Helm fast or Athansiou fast. He's not so fast he gets a contract just because.

We've got 51 guys under contract now. We have a 50 contract limit.
Here are the guys whose contracts end in 2013
White. Cleary. Filppula. Howard. Brunner. Smith. Nyquist. Miller. Mursak. Andersson. McCollum. Pare. MacDonald. Pearce. Lashoff. Raedeke.

Guys we may lose without replacing with NHLers -- Cleary. Miller.
49 Contracts.
Prospects/players we cut bait on. Mursak. Pare. Macdonald. Learche. Raedeke. Lashoff.
Down to 43 -- thought I don't think this team cuts Lashoff and Mursak. so maybe we're still as high as 45.

Prospects we haven't signed yet.
Backman. Nedolmlel.Marchenko. Quine. Hudon. Marshall. Jensen.

I see Backman, Marchenko and Jensen ahead of Quine. And maybe Nedomlel, too.

So now we're at 46 or 47 to 48 or 49.

This assumes no other UFA prospects or UFA signings.
There's not much room for Quine.
What if we want a goalie for toledo?

What if we sign Backman and Marchenko but they stay in Europe for a year?

The only thing I can really think of in Quine's favor is that next year, the only decisions we need to make are on Paterson, Athanasiou and Bodin (very little shot). Frk is already signed and Mckee and DeHaas are a long ways away yet.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
newfy

Quote:
Sorry, man, You draw a line somewhere.
You might want to take 5'11 Quine. But 6'2 Nestrasil has something our organization lacks.

Quine is a good skater. But he's not Helm fast or Athansiou fast. He's not so fast he gets a contract just because.

We've got 51 guys under contract now. We have a 50 contract limit.
Here are the guys whose contracts end in 2013
White. Cleary. Filppula. Howard. Brunner. Smith. Nyquist. Miller. Mursak. Andersson. McCollum. Pare. MacDonald. Pearce. Lashoff. Raedeke.

The only thing I can really think of in Quine's favor is that next year, the only decisions we need to make are on Paterson, Athanasiou and Bodin (very little shot). Frk is already signed and Mckee and DeHaas are a long ways away yet.
Nestrasil provides nothing to this organization that its currently lacking. Hes a soft, slow big guy and hasnt been able to show hes worth anything other than a roster spot in the ECHL. Quines speed may not be like Helm or Athanasiou but hes a Ferraro type skater and the organization lacks speed more then it lacks whatever you think Nestrasil provides.

Quine is ahead of at least Bodin, Coetzee, Fournier, Hudon, Marshall, Nestrasil, Pare, Pearce, and Raedeke in term of trying to keep in the system. The wings already have to many forwards signed, there will be guys traded from what they have now so those contract numbers will be reduced by probably 3 or 4. They have 6 NHL right wingers, 5 centers and 5 left wingers.

I dont think Quine is some awesome prospect or anything but the chances he'll get a contract are much higher then not. Hes put up pretty damn good numbers, has high end speed which the wings lack, and hes solid defensively.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Townsend Beasley
Coop, how's Annie?

If quine was a second rounder, people would pay more attention to him. But since he was a later pick, he doesnt get much credit, it seems.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:07 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Nestrasil provides nothing to this organization that its currently lacking. Hes a soft, slow big guy and hasnt been able to show hes worth anything other than a roster spot in the ECHL. Quines speed may not be like Helm or Athanasiou but hes a Ferraro type skater and the organization lacks speed more then it lacks whatever you think Nestrasil provides.

Quine is ahead of at least Bodin, Coetzee, Fournier, Hudon, Marshall, Nestrasil, Pare, Pearce, and Raedeke in term of trying to keep in the system. The wings already have to many forwards signed, there will be guys traded from what they have now so those contract numbers will be reduced by probably 3 or 4. They have 6 NHL right wingers, 5 centers and 5 left wingers.

I dont think Quine is some awesome prospect or anything but the chances he'll get a contract are much higher then not. Hes put up pretty damn good numbers, has high end speed which the wings lack, and hes solid defensively.
The problem is that Nestrasil, even if you're right --- and I don't think you are, and Fournier, are already under contract.
Nestrasil has improved quite a bit this year and is close to a point-per-game
While you might think it's no big deal that he's 6'2, we don't have a ton of 6'2 forwards with skill.
We're not going to cancel is contract.

Calling Quine "solid" defensively is absurd.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I believe all but 2 or maybe 3 draft picks from Quine's draft year earn a contract. If you consider that "hates everything," you're weird.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
newfy

Quote:
The problem is that Nestrasil, even if you're right --- and I don't think you are, and Fournier, are already under contract.
While you might think it's no big deal that he's 6'2, we don't have a ton of 6'2 forwards with skill.

Hes not even point per game in the ECHL and its not like hes a rookie. He's 6'2 but doesnt play with any real size or edge. Sheahan Andersson, Aubry, Jurco, Tvrdon and even Parkes are big bodied guys that have established themselves in the AHL besides Tvrdon. There isnt a lack of big guys, theres a lack of big guys that play big but Nestrasil doesnt.

Quines skating on the other hand is probably only matched by Ferraro and maybe Tatar although I think hes more agile then fast. 5'11, 190 isnt tiny anymore either for Quine, its not big by any means but its solid weight given his height.

Saying Quine isnt solid defensively shows you dont know jack about him. Hes a solid 2 way player and was used as a shutdown player for team Canada at the u18s. Do poor defensive players get put in that role or get called solid two way players by scouts if they arent solid defensively?

Or wait, you read his plus minus right so you know his defensive game better then people who have watched him?

Old
12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:

For a guy who has never seen him play, your comment about Quine does not matter.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:06 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
I believe all but 2 or maybe 3 draft picks from Quine's draft year earn a contract. If you consider that "hates everything," you're weird.
Ok, but I would say you march to the beat of your own drummer. There's not many people you agree with. Not a bad thing, its good to have a different opinion around here.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Henkka

OMG, big guy who can skate, but do nothing else! Andrej Nestrasil \o/ Thank you lord about him, he saves the organization from lazy johanfranzens! Hallelujah! Merry Chistmas to all you trolls in here. We need to end this freaking lockout and get something real to discuss and stop this apocalyptic moronism and idiotism. Please. Enough is enough.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
For a guy who has never seen him play, your comment about Quine does not matter.
Dude. Check out that plus/minus. EVERY YEAR.

When a guy scores a point-per-game and is THAT FAR into the minuses, it doesn't say much about him as a two-way player

How does Andrew Yogan be a plus player while Quine is -19?
Austin Watson last year was -1 in 32 games while Quine was -19

At some point, it's ridiculous to call him a good defensive forward because he played in a shutdown role in a tournament 3 years ago.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I'd say Quine has a 9/10 chance to get a contract. It's not 100% sure but he's very very close. Someone said his offense is questionable? In his 21 games he has 21 points and the Pete's have scored 47 times in those games. That's a point on ~45% of their goals, which is not too bad.
Yeah, I for one have not been pumping Quine up at all as a prospect. Now with that being said I can definitely see him earning a contract. He's got speed and goal-scoring capability, two characteristics our prospect pool isn't exactly bursting at the seams with. I think our new age power forward pecking order puts Nestrasil pretty far down the list and as a result he's a guy who I can see being on the outside looking in - and I have always been a Nestrasil fan. He simply hasn't developed while guys like Jurco, Sheahan, Frk and Tvrdon are all guys the organization saw something in and still have some developing to do. With Nestrasil he's just never owned a spot in the AHL. He may get another chance if the lockout doesn't wipe out the NHL season but I don't see him pushing his way up the prospect rankings anytime soon.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:15 PM
joe89

Wings only have 34 contracts signed for next season. If we look ahead another year we're down to a mere 15 signed players. There's re-signings to be made, but still well enough flexibility to make a decision on Quine solely based on his own abilities. Wings have a lot of so-so guys signed that will be replaced by new prospects in the next couple of years. I'm mainly thinking of Parkes, Fournier, Raedeke, Coetzee and Nestrasil. And then there's another handful of guys totally up in the air in terms of getting a new contract aswell, probably leaning towards not getting one at this point. Plus free agents on the big club, of course.

Ultimately, signing these players give you a good and competitive farm team. If Quine can push for a top6 AHL spot, he's an asset. You don't have 50 NHL players signed. Not even 35.

Old
12-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Henkka

Is Quine a center or a winger at Peterborough?

Old
12-25-2012, 05:18 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
A center, at least when I've been looking at some of their highlights.

Old
12-25-2012, 05:23 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
He can play both, he is a C/LW. He does mostly play center, but it is nice to know he is comfortable out on the wing also.

You know what would be really nice is if he is good at draws. Have seen him but I don't honestly remember if he is good or bad in this area. Anybody else know?

Old
12-26-2012, 06:08 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Czech vs. Sweden for those interested in seeing Frk or Calle's cousin.

http://atdhe.so/watch.php?id=548216

Pretty useful site for streaming all the games thus far.

http://atdhe.eu/hockey

Old
12-26-2012, 08:30 AM
joe89

Frk was alright, not spectacular not bad. I think Ouellet was very good as long as the game was alive(after that I didn't pay much attention), decision making stands out.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:33 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Frk was alright, not spectacular not bad. I think Ouellet was very good as long as the game was alive(after that I didn't pay much attention), decision making stands out.
Frk was really slow, kind of reminded me of a slightly bigger Pulkkinen.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:45 PM
waltdetroit

Ouellett scores goal at world
quote Spizzirri (hockeybuzz)
"In Canada's opening contest today, Ouellet opened the scoring for Canada in their 9-3 victory over Germany scoring on a 1st period power-play when his pass intended for Ty Rattie at the side of the German goal deflected off a German defender and into the net."

Old
12-26-2012, 01:52 PM
InjuredChoker

Ouellet was good imo.. that goal was all on McNeill. Canada needs to got down on penalties it is going to cost them at bigger games.

Frk wasn't bad but didn't get much done. Bigger rink doesn't suit his skating.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
InjuredChoker

Brock with he's speculation on OHL trade DL.

Has this to say about Quine.

Quote:
Alan Quine
Battled mono at the beginning of the year, but has been pretty good since returning. I think he's certainly capable of more too, if he's on a team in a winning environment. Somewhere which would push him to be a bit more aggressive with and without the puck. He's certainly very talented offensively. In particular, his goal scoring ability is underrated. He's a natural center, but I actually think he could play the wing too. I think the two best fits for Quine would be in Belleville and Plymouth. Both could use a player like Quine to inject some more offense into their attack and I think he'd gel well with the players already in those spots.
Prediction: I think Quine goes to Belleville. On the big ice, he'd have more room to operate and the Bulls have a bevy of bigger forwards who could help to create some room for him. The return ends up being a couple of high end picks (2nd and 3rd).

Old
12-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Dempsey

Anybody know if Backman returned from his concussion?

Closed Thread