HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Mathletic's 2013 NHL Mock Draft, Christmas Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2012, 10:21 PM
  #1
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Mathletic's 2013 NHL Mock Draft, Christmas Edition

I haven't had as much time lately, so I didn't bother explaining the rationale behind every pick. Anyways, it's all done in good fun.

I used a draft order from that website

http://timgur.com/nhl/draft/index#

Feel free to ask any questions or make comments.

I posted my new rankings in the prospects section.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7#post56730877



Round 1


#1 Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

#2 Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara, SM-Liiga, Finland

#3 Seth Jones, D, Portland Winerhawks, WHL

#4 Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

#5 Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa 67's OHL

#6 Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

#7 Elias Lindholm, C, Brynäs IF, Elitserien, Sweden

#8 (from Los Angeles) Adam Erne, RW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ

#9 Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL

#10 Curtis Lazar, C, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL

#11 Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS, SM-Liiga, Finland

#12 Anthony Mantha, RW, Val d'Or Foreurs, LHJMQ

#13 Max Domi, C, London Knights, OHL

#14 Hudson Fasching, F, USA NTDP

#15 Zachary Fucale, G, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:22 PM
  #2
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
#16 Morgan Klimchuk, C, Regina Pats, WHL

#17 Eric Comrie, G, Tri-City Americans, WHL

#18 Oliver Bjorkstrand, RW, Portland Winterhawks, WHL

#19 Nikita Zadorov, D, London Knights, OHL

#20 Ian McCoshen, D, Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL

#21 Robert Hägg, D, MODO Hockey, SuperElit, Sweden

#22 Josh Morrissey, D, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL

#23 Anthony Duclair, LW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ

#24 Dillon Heatherington, D, Swift Current Broncos, WHL

#25 Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor Spitfires, OHL

#26 Frédérik Gauthier, C, Rimouski Océanic, LHJMQ

#27 Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL

#28 Jason Dickinson, LW, Guelph Storm, OHL

#29 Bo Horvat, LW, London Knights, OHL

#30 (from Rangers) Ryan Hartman, F, Plymouth Whalers, OHL


Round 2


#31 New York Rangers: Madison Bowey, D, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
#32 Pittsburgh: Vincent Dunn, C, Val d'Or Foreurs, LHJMQ
#33 Phoenix: Valeri Nichushkin, F, Chelmet Chelyabinsk, VHL, Russia
#34 San Jose: J.T. Compher, F, USA NTDP
#35 Washington: Pavel Buchnevich, C/W, Almaz Cherepovets, MHL, Russia
#36 Carolina: Artturi Lehkonen, RW, KalPa, SM-Liiga, Finland
#37 Winnipeg: Valentin Zykov, RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar, LHJMQ
#38 Montréal (from Nashville): Justin Bailey, C, Kitchener Rangers, OHL
#39 Winnipeg (from Chicago): Marc-Olivier Roy, RW, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, LHJMQ
#40 Montréal: Philippe Desrosiers, G, Rimouski Océanic, LHJMQ
#41 St. Louis: Lucas Wallmark, C, Skellefteå AIK, SuperElit, Sweden
#42 Edmonton: Alexander Wennberg, C, Djurgårdens IF, Allsvenskan, Sweden
#43 Colorado: Michael Downing, D, Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
#44 Anaheim (from Islanders): Jordan Subban, D, Belleville Bulls, OHL
#45 Toronto: Mirco Müller, D, Everett Silvertips, WHL
#46 New Jersey: William Carrier, LW, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, LHJMQ
#47 Tampa Bay: André Burakovsky, C, IF Malmö Redhawks, SuperElit, Sweden
#48 Florida: Nick Sørensen, RW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ
#49 Philadelphia: Shea Theodore, D, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
#50 Vancouver: Chris Bigras, D, Owen Sound Attack, OHL
#51 Detroit: Jan Kostalek, D , Rimouski Océanic, LHJMQ
#52 Edmonton (from Anaheim): Tyler Motte, F, USA NTDP
#53 Los Angeles: Ryan Kujawinski, C, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
#54 Minnesota: Steve Santini, D, USA NTDP
#55 Boston: Emile Poirier, LW, Gatineau Olympiques, LHJMQ
#56 Dallas: Samuel Morin, D, Rimouski Océanic, LHJMQ
#57 St. Louis (from Ottawa): Eric Roy, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
#58 Montréal (from Calgary): Nick Moutrey, RW, Saginaw Spirit, OHL
#59 Columbus: Nicolas Petan, C, Portland Winterhawks, WHL
#60 Buffalo: Jesse Lees, D, Kelowna Rockets, WHL


Last edited by Mathletic: 12-21-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:59 PM
  #3
CATMAN125
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Merry Xmas to all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like seeing J. Lees getting some love on your list...some huge upside to this kid, but not on any other 2013 rankings for some reason.Seen a few rocket games the whole team Defence looks solid and J Lees defencive play has improved emmensely. People don't realize he would be the youngest of the whole 2013 class.Almost a whole year of growth in strength etc vs comparible kids.

CATMAN125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:13 PM
  #4
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,190
vCash: 500
You are missing the #52 pick.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:19 PM
  #5
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,348
vCash: 567
As always, I love to see your rankings and mocks.

As a personal gripe, I don't think the Sharks would take either of the guys you have them take. They wouldn't take Nurse over Dickinson or Compher over Lehkonen. We need forwards with offensive upside, not two-way guys and right handed defensive defensemen. Besides that, I have both Dickinson and Lehkonen over Nurse and Compher even if we're going for BPA.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:30 PM
  #6
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
You are missing the #52 pick.
oops

I added Tyler Motte


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
As always, I love to see your rankings and mocks.

As a personal gripe, I don't think the Sharks would take either of the guys you have them take. They wouldn't take Nurse over Dickinson or Compher over Lehkonen. We need forwards with offensive upside, not two-way guys and right handed defensive defensemen. Besides that, I have both Dickinson and Lehkonen over Nurse and Compher even if we're going for BPA.
Yeah it looked to me like Sharks liked 2-way forwards in recent years. Players like Hertl, Lalancette, Nieto and so on. So that's why I went Compher over Lehkonen and Nurse in the first. That said, I agree they should go for higher skilled guys like Dickinson and Lehkonen in case they're available.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:36 PM
  #7
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,348
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Yeah it looked to me like Sharks liked 2-way forwards in recent years. Players like Hertl, Lalancette, Nieto and so on. So that's why I went Compher over Lehkonen and Nurse in the first. That said, I agree they should go for higher skilled guys like Dickinson and Lehkonen in case they're available.
Hertl and Nieto are both decent two-way players, but they were drafted for offense. Hertl in particular has tremendous offensive upside.

It's true that the Sharks most value hockey IQ and two-way ability, but they shouldn't and don't draft the likes of JT Compher in the very early 2nd round, and after the Wishart, Petrecki, Doherty, and Wrenn mistakes, they don't draft defensive defensemen in the first two rounds.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:35 AM
  #8
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 50
Wow, Winnipeg Jets would get boned. If they got 26th overall in a lottery draft (especially this one) I'd cry.

I love Heatherington, so that's always a plus though.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:07 AM
  #9
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,523
vCash: 69
Shinkaruk and Etem reunited? Sign me up!

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:14 AM
  #10
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,818
vCash: 500
Josh Morrissey is the guy I want the Hawks to take if they're picking later than 15th.. Soo.. I'll take him at 22.

One guy that jumps out at me as a bit high is Oliver Bjorkstrand.

Otherwise, good mock.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:55 AM
  #11
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,278
vCash: 5555
Good mock. I know you're not that high on Ristolainen or Nichushkin, but at 11th overall, I'd be very happy to get either on the Canucks.(although you have Nichushkin falling to the second round) I'd actually lean a bit more towards Nichushkin(assuming scouts have found his character/dedication to be satisfactory). Both have great talent and potential.

In the late 2nd I would probably take a flyer on Lipon. Given that Gillis has a penchant for drafting late bloomers after the first round, I would not at all be surprised to see us draft him there.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:16 AM
  #12
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Shinkaruk and Etem reunited? Sign me up!
yeah, what I was thinking there

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Josh Morrissey is the guy I want the Hawks to take if they're picking later than 15th.. Soo.. I'll take him at 22.

One guy that jumps out at me as a bit high is Oliver Bjorkstrand.

Otherwise, good mock.
Not sure what scouts think of Bjorkstrand. Not the biggest guy and not physical but seems to handle his own pretty good nonetheless. Talent is there, so I'm not sure how that all adds up at the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
In the late 2nd I would probably take a flyer on Lipon. Given that Gillis has a penchant for drafting late bloomers after the first round, I would not at all be surprised to see us draft him there.
I forgot to add him on my rankings. I'll have him in the next time. Thanks for the reminder.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:54 AM
  #13
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
Don't think Devils take Fucale again, with Kinkaid and Frazee, we need more help in our Wingers prospect pool

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:25 AM
  #14
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,533
vCash: 500
I really wouldot want the isles to pass on players like Nurse and Morrisey for a goalie in the 1st round but if it was the 2nd half of the 1st round and we were picking a goalie I would hope it was Fucale....


Also remember the Isles will only have 1 pick in the top 60 so they will want to make thier 1st rounder really count

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:05 PM
  #15
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,523
vCash: 69
I will say this though. Anaheim doesn't like diminutive players unless their talent is can't miss. If Carrier and Burakovsky are still available I don't see how they pass on them for Jordan Subban.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:07 PM
  #16
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
I dont agree with all your picks on this mock draft.

If Columbus takes Barkov, I would think that they take Shinkaruk with their 2nd 1st rounder. Two-way center and skiller center/winger. Erne is a stretch for top 10.

Islanders have Nilsson and Poulin playing well in Bridgeport. I doubt they use their first on a goaltender. Zadorov, Morrisey, Nichushkin or Burakovsky would be good picks at #17.

As a Habs fan, Hagg is a good pick but I would think that they would pick Duclair, Nichushkin or Zadorov.

Why do you have Nichushkin, Burakovsky, Carrier, Santini and Theodore so low? And where are De La Rose and Martin? They are at least 2nd round picks.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
  #17
18Hossa
Registered User
 
18Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 232
Anyone else notice it says LJHMQ instead of QMJHL?

Love Ottawa's pick

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
  #18
Greeningfan14
Registered User
 
Greeningfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Drouin. Nice. Kinda want Lindholm tho

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
  #19
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
I would be thrilled if the bruins got the 6th pick. I am high on Pulock but I know alot of other people aren't. wouldnt be upset by whoever they took

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:31 PM
  #20
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
Anyone else notice it says LJHMQ instead of QMJHL?

Love Ottawa's pick
Yeah I like using original name spellings and league names

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
  #21
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,027
vCash: 157
Would absolutely die if Dallas got #5 and Monahan fell to us. That's almost perfect.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  #22
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I dont agree with all your picks on this mock draft.

If Columbus takes Barkov, I would think that they take Shinkaruk with their 2nd 1st rounder. Two-way center and skiller center/winger. Erne is a stretch for top 10.

Islanders have Nilsson and Poulin playing well in Bridgeport. I doubt they use their first on a goaltender. Zadorov, Morrisey, Nichushkin or Burakovsky would be good picks at #17.

As a Habs fan, Hagg is a good pick but I would think that they would pick Duclair, Nichushkin or Zadorov.

Why do you have Nichushkin, Burakovsky, Carrier, Santini and Theodore so low? And where are De La Rose and Martin? They are at least 2nd round picks.
Forgot about adding De la Rose and Martin. I'm sure they'll get picked in the first 2 rounds.

As for Carrier, I don't think I'm having him too low. Ross MacLean from ISS said he was a mid-round prospect at this point. You have to remember he's in his 3rd year. To me a 2nd round grade is fair in his case.

I'm not sold on Nichushkin's consistency. It's probably due to tunnel vision. He's exciting to watch but there's a few things that worry me about him. I don't think he fits in with guys like Grigorenko, Yakupov and so on. A notch below for me.

Burakovsky, I'll have to work a bit more on him but he doesn't stand out to me. I know he had some great showings at various tournaments but I guess the consistency just isn't there because I don't see the same as others in his case.

Theodore I could see go much higher. It depends if someone loves the kid. There's tons of things to like about him but some might be afraid of his physical play.

Not sure what makes Santini great. Size is fine but I don't see the big upside to his game. More of a Petrecki kind of guy to me.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:13 PM
  #23
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Forgot about adding De la Rose and Martin. I'm sure they'll get picked in the first 2 rounds.

As for Carrier, I don't think I'm having him too low. Ross MacLean from ISS said he was a mid-round prospect at this point. You have to remember he's in his 3rd year. To me a 2nd round grade is fair in his case.

I'm not sold on Nichushkin's consistency. It's probably due to tunnel vision. He's exciting to watch but there's a few things that worry me about him. I don't think he fits in with guys like Grigorenko, Yakupov and so on. A notch below for me.

Burakovsky, I'll have to work a bit more on him but he doesn't stand out to me. I know he had some great showings at various tournaments but I guess the consistency just isn't there because I don't see the same as others in his case.

Theodore I could see go much higher. It depends if someone loves the kid. There's tons of things to like about him but some might be afraid of his physical play.

Not sure what makes Santini great. Size is fine but I don't see the big upside to his game. More of a Petrecki kind of guy to me.
This is Carrier's first year of eligibility. He is a late 94.

I agree with what you said about Nichushkin and Burakovsky but I still think someone will take a risk on them.

Theodore will be a riser for me. I like his game. And Santini is just very solid. That is about it. Nothing special.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:58 PM
  #24
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
This is Carrier's first year of eligibility. He is a late 94.

I agree with what you said about Nichushkin and Burakovsky but I still think someone will take a risk on them.

Theodore will be a riser for me. I like his game. And Santini is just very solid. That is about it. Nothing special.
Yeah I meant 3rd year in the Q for Carrier.

But as always, I could be way off on those guys. Maybe Santini becomes the next Marc Staal, who knows.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:16 PM
  #25
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
^not a bad list at all! i think the Oil would indeed take Zadorov at the #19 spot, he might be the BPA or they might take Nurse or Morrissey instead or even big center Fred Gauthier. the 2nd round is really a crap shoot...i figure if Carrier is still there, the Oil couldn't resist and would pluck him, along with either of Santini or Burakovsky.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.