HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Albany Devils Games (PART II)

Old
12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
That ship has sailed with the lockout IMO. If Butler continues to play well, Sykora won`t be signed anyway.
I think Sykora might say **** it, and just start playing overseas sometime this month. He said around Christmas in the TG interview on his blog that he'll wait it out. If the NHL wasn't back by Christmas he might explore his options in Europe. Keep in mind Marty said if it wasn't resolved by late November he would look into playing in Europe too. I think Sykie starts playing before Marty though. I think Sykie may have been given a training camp tryout had it started on time. It would be between Butler, Tedenby, and Sykie battling for 2 spots.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:22 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
How about Josefson centering Patty and Zubrus? It could be a nice shutdown line like they had with Sykora plus a nice offensive line as those guys were for the better part last year?
Then what do the lines look like?

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Josefson-Zubrus
.....and then it gets scary bad. I had to stop.

Perhaps...
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Josefson-Zubrus
Tedenby-Henrique-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

....I don't like it.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:29 PM
hlaverty06

As said many times before, Sykora needs a certain element to succeed..namely, Patrik Elias. You take away Elias from Sykora you have a pretty useless player in Sykie.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:33 PM
manilaNJ

I disagree with that.
He needs good defensive linemates, but that's not hard to find within a Devils line up.

I just think it was unrealistic to expect Sykora to be able to maintain production over the course of an 82+ game season with top line minutes + PP. Especially considering that he was 35 and hadn't played a full NHL season in a couple of years.

Less minutes, on a good defensive line and I think he could still do the team a few favors offensively.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Mgd31

We need another forward. I'm just not comfortable with having to roll with Butler and ****ing Tedenby in the top 9.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
We need another forward. I'm just not comfortable with having to roll with Butler and ****ing Tedenby in the top 9.
I second this message.

Luckily enough, there`s no season to be played, so who cares. And fortunately, the next one starts with an incredible UFA crop (assuming the new CBA, should it ever be signed, won`t change anything of importance in that regard).

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
I second this message.

Luckily enough, there`s no season to be played, so who cares. And fortunately, the next one starts with an incredible UFA crop (assuming the new CBA, should it ever be signed, won`t change anything of importance in that regard).
Sigh. Yes, the former unfortunately.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Josefson-Zubrus

Perhaps...
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

....I don't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I agree one hundred percent. Also, Butler should not be with Kovalchuk, in my opinion, as far as I've seen with Butler, he needs guys to that will help create his goals. Huselius has to be healthy by now, I know that was the concern with him over the summer. I wouldn't mind signing him and taking the risk, if he can play alongside Kovalchuk, it would strengthen our team:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Huselius
Elias-Josefson-Butler
Zubrus-Henrique-Clarkson

That looks really good and deep to me.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Mgd31

I think Huselius signed overseas

Old
12-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Plus Kovalchuck is actually very good at setting his linemates up, not just finishing the plays. So... what the ****, Zippy? Don`t fear of the drop in his goal production, that won`t happen (at least not because of Butler, trust me). There would still be a plenty of time and space for him to shoot.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Josefson-Zubrus

Perhaps...
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

....I don't like it.
How about a first line of Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique? Too many big guns on the same line?

I kinda want Josefson, and Patty together. Don't care who the other winger is. As long as it isn't Kovalchuk. Elias-Josefson-Henrique maybe?

I just want Josefson centering Patty.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Plus Kovalchuck is actually very good at setting his linemates up, not just finishing the plays. So... what the ****, Zippy? Don`t fear of the drop in his goal production, that won`t happen (at least not because of Butler, trust me). There would still be a plenty of time and space for him to shoot.
I know, but I'd rather have Butler with more playmaking players. Nothing against Kovalchuk, but there's times he needs to players to do the dirty work for him. Zajac and Zubrus grind it out and feed him, similarly to the way Parise and Henrique did. Zajac and Zubrus both bring solid two-way games to give Kovalchuk more freedom offensively, as opposed to Butler whose not a liability, but his defense isn't his strength. I'd rather Kovalchuk's winger to be either a very good playmaker (ala Huselius) or a good all-around winger (Zubrus). Playing him with a sniper isn't exactly the best pairing to me.

I just think Butler with Elias and JJ or Henrique, is a better scenario that him with Kovalchuk and Zajac.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
How about a first line of Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique? Too many big guns on the same line?

I kinda want Josefson, and Patty together. Don't care who the other winger is. As long as it isn't Kovalchuk. Elias-Josefson-Henrique maybe?
The best I can put together is...

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Josefson-Butler
Tedenby-Zubrus-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

That 3rd line is going to be a bit of an adventure.... I'd rather not have to resort to Zubrus as a center, though.

Especially if it's Tedenby and Clarkson at his wings.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:

I just want Josefson centering Patty.
It works in my NHL09, that must count for something, right?

On a serious not, it would be a waste of the creativity and defensive qualities. Manila`s post is spot on. When you do that, you instantly take away from some other lines. Not saying you completely screw them up, but it won`t work as well as it could. Unless there`s a serious reason for it (lineup changes based on some pitful performance), this should be out of the question.

I`m not even sure why is the idea of having an Elias clone on the line with him so appealing.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
The best I can put together is...

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Josefson-Butler
Tedenby-Zubrus-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

That 3rd line is going to be a bit of an adventure.... I'd rather not have to resort to Zubrus as a center, though.

Especially if it's Tedenby and Clarkson at his wings.
I don't know myself. At least we can all agree on CBGB right?

Old
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
It works in my NHL09, that must count for something, right?

Waste of the creativity and defensive qualities. Manila`s post is spot on. When you do that, you instantly take away from some other lines. Not saying you completely screw them up, but it won`t work as well as it could. Unless there`s a serious reason for it (lineup changes based on some pitful performance), this should be out of the question.
Yeah I guess Kovy, Zajac, and Henrique on the same line is too much. It will be like when people complained about Parise, and Kovy on the same line last year haha.

I still want Josefson centering Patty. I'm not the only one who thinks they can compliment each other am I? Some people said Josefson would become an Elias type not too long ago.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

Butler and Tedenby in our top 9. My gosh.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
manilaNJ

....until an inevitable injury comes along.
It could get ugly, quick if just one of those forwards goes down.

Already trying to scramble to replace Henrique at the start of a potential short season.

Hopefully Lou has been using his spare time to grease some GMs into a good trade once a CBA gets signed.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Butler and Tedenby in our top 9. My gosh.
Your gosh isn`t very merciful to us, is he?

Old
12-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
....until an inevitable injury comes along.
It could get ugly, quick if just one of those forwards goes down.

Already trying to scramble to replace Henrique at the start of a potential short season.

Hopefully Lou has been using his spare time to grease some GMs into a good trade once a CBA gets signed.
Tell me about it. This is why I said in the Summer if one of our plethora of D men goes down we should be alright. If any forward that isn't Barch or Janssen goes down then well

Old
12-16-2012, 07:00 PM
manilaNJ

All that being said, I'm still not worried about the current lineup as a starting point to get a decent forward group together.

I'm less confident as the summer, of course... because there's less time to make anything happen.
Just hopefully some moves can be made before any injuries set the lineup back.

As of right now, forming lines that have offensive zone chemistry or, at the very least, defensive zone awareness would be the priority.
Goal production won't be near last year's pace... but there can be ways to maintain a good enough goal differential to come out with a winning record.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
All that being said, I'm still not worried about the current lineup as a starting point to get a decent forward group together.

I'm less confident as the summer, of course... because there's less time to make anything happen.
Just hopefully some moves can be made before any injuries set the lineup back.

As of right now, forming lines that have offensive zone chemistry, or at the very least defensive zone awareness would be the priority.
Goal production won't be near last year's pace... but there can be ways to maintain a good enough goal differential to come out with a winning record.
If Henrique is playing that makes it decent. There are so many little things we can fix to get as much scoring as last year without having Parise on the team.

Like our defensemen scoring more than 16 goals a season. The Wild's defense scored 2 less goals than ours last year. 2 of ours were from Zidlicky, and none of there's were from Zidlicky. They were the lowest scoring team in the league last year that's why I use them as an example. The Isles defense outscored ours last year.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Just realized Zidla`s contract expires after this season. Well, that`s not good. I wanted to see him play a full season before offering him an extension.

Fayne will get more goals as will Larsson. I don`t expect Greene to light it up. At the same time, I don`t even care if he does as long as he keeps doing what he was doing last year. But absolutely, we still need more points from the back end, much more. Don`t expect Salvador and Tallinder (if we keep him) to get many, if any.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Just realized Zidla`s contract expires after this season. Well, that`s not good. I wanted to see him play a full season before offering him an extension.

Fayne will get more goals as will Larsson. I don`t expect Greene to light it up. At the same time, I don`t even care if he does as long as he keeps doing what he was doing last year. But absolutely, we still need more points from the back end, much more. Don`t expect Salvador and Tallinder (if we keep him) to get many, if any.
Agreed. That's why we have to move somebody like Tallinder/Volch out of the corp so we use use someone ala Zids to give us points.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
hlaverty06

Lets all remember it was Salvador who was either tied, or slightly behind Doughty in points on D

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote