HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yo MJ, and other Tool (and ELP) fans...

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Yo MJ, and other Tool (and ELP) fans...

went to a drum clinic in Farmingdale yesterday with Danny Carey and Carl Palmer. Pretty *** amazing. Carey was very nervous out there (he's just a good 'ol boy from Kansas who's not used to speaking in front of crowds, but seems very down to earth - and he's a monster!). He did a solo, talked about his inspirations, played a few tunes, as well as his snare drum solo from his high school state drum competition. Carl Palmer was funny as all heck and very comfortable (I seem to remember him doing this 15 years ago on Channel 13's/PBS' Rock School with Herbie Hancock). Played his arse off...the guy's freakin' fast and as precise as heck. All-in-all, pretty great to be 15 feet away from these guys.

Old
09-21-2003, 09:53 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
went to a drum clinic in Farmingdale yesterday with Danny Carey and Carl Palmer. Pretty *** amazing. Carey was very nervous out there (he's just a good 'ol boy from Kansas who's not used to speaking in front of crowds, but seems very down to earth - and he's a monster!). He did a solo, talked about his inspirations, played a few tunes, as well as his snare drum solo from his high school state drum competition. Carl Palmer was funny as all heck and very comfortable (I seem to remember him doing this 15 years ago on Channel 13's/PBS' Rock School with Herbie Hancock). Played his arse off...the guy's freakin' fast and as precise as heck. All-in-all, pretty great to be 15 feet away from these guys.
....I was 15 feet away Jim Carey one time but there was that huge stage, and numerous security guards in between us. Must've been a cool experience and I almost envy you.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Fletch

it's pretty neat...

hearing drums suond like they do when you're not in a big arena, and when the singing, guitars, etc. are just background music. Also, both were playing special drum kits (made specially for the two by Paiste, and there's one other in the world), which added a bit to the sound. And to be able to see the concentration (no to mention the sweat) was pretty intense. My ears are still ringin'.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:04 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I wish I had known about that Fletch. Sounds awesome.

Gimme some thoughts on "Thirteen Step".

Old
09-22-2003, 04:06 AM
True Blue

Wish that I knew as well. Sounds like they put on quite a show.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Fletch

A first listen-through of the album...

will frustrate you. I actually got it last Sunday (a couple days before it was released - we have a nice little shop in Brooklyn specializing in getting stuff early) and couldn't even listen to it. I heard a couple songs during the week that were really good, and then listened to it three times in a row yesterday and I really like it.

Here about Paz' brother Luciano? He killed himself last weekend. Eesh. Billy's besides himself (Luiciano was a personal assistant of sorts...watching his house while he's on the road and other things).

Old
09-22-2003, 05:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Here about Paz' brother Luciano? He killed himself last weekend. Eesh. Billy's besides himself (Luiciano was a personal assistant of sorts...watching his house while he's on the road and other things).
I had not heard that. I did hear that Zwan has disbanded though. Tough times for Paz and Billy. His father appareantly died recently. There's a number of dedications to him in "Thirteenth Step".

It's obvious that a lot more thought has been put into this album than "Mers de Noms". "Frustrating" is an appropriate description as you listen to it the first few times. I've been through it more than just a few now though and it's brilliant.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:19 AM
Fletch

Billy's father...

died over a year ago. He died a couple months prior to the last show I saw, which was at Roseland, if I remember correctly. He was sick for a while.

Brilliant's a good word. I had almost given up but a friend (actually the guy who's friends with Billy (and it's neat that he was thanked on the CD)) told me it grows on you. I gotta get it into my iPod soon...

Closed Thread