HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Komisarek - road to redemption?

Old
02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

vCash: 500
Komisarek - road to redemption?

So Komi has actually been quite good under Carlyle this year. I think we all know his stint so far in Toronto has been a little, ahem, disappointing to say the least, but the reality is, the coaching system he was playing under was not suited for him, and you can argue that he was misused, badly. Ron Wilson was a terrible coach who didn't communicate with his players.

This past summer, Carlyle sat down with him, told him what he needed to work on and gave him a list of things to try and accomplish. Komi's dropped weight and is in good shape, and his skating seems to be okay now, not great, but not god-awful either.

He hasn't played many games this year because of injury, but he's looked quite good in the games he's played. He's been physical, he's simplified his game greatly, and he's been steady and reliable out there on even strength and the PK.

I was very impressed by how he played last night against a tough forechecking Bruins team.

He's still overpaid, but if he can keep this up I have no problems with him on this team. I might even be open to resigning him when his contract is over (again, if he continues to play this way), obviously not for 4.5M, but at a reasonable price I don't see why not.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Yup, guys a stud. I'd have no problem bringing him back if he keeps it up.

He's making better decisions with the puck, he's been smart-physically, his gap-control has immensely improved, he even looks a little faster.

Looks like a top-4 dman night in and night out.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
I actually said "Man, that was a really solid play by Komisarek" several times last night.

He's doing quite well.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:09 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Not tough to look good on this team- can't wait til he's gone, I don't buy the contract year facade. That said, I do think he's looked better than Phaneuf all season so far, but again, temper that with the quality of the team.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Leafs03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Not tough to look good on this team- can't wait til he's gone, I don't buy the contract year facade. That said, I do think he's looked better than Phaneuf all season so far, but again, temper that with the quality of the team.
Phanuef has look good this year........hes playing on his wrong side too and playing with a AHL dman....

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

No, another garbage signing from Burke.

Get rid of him.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
I've liked Komi's play this year. But perhaps its too early to draw conclusions.

He has been a healthy scratch for half the games played this year and arguably has played quite lousy for most of the last 3 years. So after 4 solid games so far this year, let us hope that he has found a comfort level and starts to earn the salary Burke laid on him. Keep it up and he may no longer be an automatic amnesty buy-out candidate for the last year of his 5 year contract and may even be worth to keep around as a veteran presence (at a much lower salary) in two years time when his contract expires, as he seems to be a high character guy. Bottomline, I think this guy still has a lot to prove to us fans....

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
No, another garbage signing from Burke.

Get rid of him.
Are you even watching the games?

JacobimMugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

I do find him greatly improved and am impressed at how good of strides he made. That being said, I would not re-sign him even if he kept this play up. Too risky, IMO. If we-resign him and he regressed to his old form, it'll look awful.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Komisarek is a UFA next year, not this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I do find him greatly improved and am impressed at how good of strides he made. That being said, I would not re-sign him even if he kept this play up. Too risky, IMO. If we-resign him and he regressed to his old form, it'll look awful.
See above. If he plays like this for the rest of this season and carries it over to next season, what would you say then?

Carlyle is one of the best coaches Komisarek could ask for and he is suited to play in his system.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Jerkini

Under no circumstance is Komisarek worth bringing back at $4.5m. You have to amnesty him at the end of the year. I mean, guys getting paid less than a million have been doing just as good a job this season alone.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
calcal798

If he can keep playing like this he'd be awesome at 2-3 mil. LA had Mitchell, Greene and Scuderi as vet dman that round out the back end, this is what I hope to see Komi doing when we become a competitive team.

calcal798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Under no circumstance is Komisarek worth bringing back at $4.5m. You have to amnesty him at the end of the year. I mean, guys getting paid less than a million have been doing just as good a job this season alone.
Nobody said to bring him back at 4.5M. And buying out a guy who has one year left on his deal is pointless. If he plays like this, he gives the team good depth and a reliable option for D.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Nobody said to bring him back at 4.5M. And buying out a guy who has one year left on his deal is pointless.
The guy has been in and out of the lineup all season. When he's replaced with a Toronto Marlie getting paid $600,000k, LITERALLY NOTHING CHANGES WITH THE ON-ICE PRODUCT.

I will admit he has been solid, but then again so has almost every dman we've played. Unfortunately that means his $4.5m capspace is more valuable to the team than his on-ice contributions. That's the unfortunate truth.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

His days as a top 4 is behind him, but if he can show to be a realible and capable 5-6 I wouldn't have a problem with signing him to another contract as long as its a short term (2-3 year max) and reflects the salary of a 5-6 guy (1.5-2.5 max)

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Nobody said to bring him back at 4.5M. And buying out a guy who has one year left on his deal is pointless. If he plays like this, he gives the team good depth and a reliable option for D.
Yes he does. But he has got to keep playing like this till the end of next year is the only thing.

calcal798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Really liking his game this year. Remember people he was a top 2-3 dman in Montreal. He definitely has top 4 potential in him. Hopefully he keeps up the solid play

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Komisarek is a UFA next year, not this year.
Compliance. Buyout.

Guess I should have included the "" for those quick-scoping. I mean, silly me for thinking posters would catch on that it's a contract year for him- officially or not- since it's been widely discussed and speculated that he's our only LEGIT compliance candidate

Old
02-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Compliance. Buyout.

Guess I should have included the "" for those quick-scoping. I mean, silly me for thinking posters would catch on that it's a contract year for him- officially or not- since it's been widely discussed and speculated that he's our only LEGIT compliance candidate
Everyone's talking about bringing him back at a reduced salary which is the confusing part. You can't do that if you amnesty him at the end of the year.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
contract year is next year.

he has looked better thus far.

edit: saw your edit. point taken

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Komi has been great this year. Stop basing him on his past.

Not his fault he was in a run and gun system.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:18 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Everyone's talking about bringing him back at a reduced salary which is the confusing part. You can't do that if you amnesty him at the end of the year.
Exactly. Even still, I wouldn't bring him back, because my point is, while literally it's not his UFA year, he knows he's on the bubble to be cut out of the team this offseason since Bogers can afford to eat the salary costs. He's playing like he's got a fire lit under his ass and I don't know that he'll play like that if that fire is beneath him. He coasted the first half of the contract.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Lebanese Leaf

He has indeed looked very solid this year. Shades of his all-star self

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Komi has been great this year. Stop basing him on his past.

Not his fault he was in a run and gun system.
To be fair, I did say he's been good compared to Dion, imo. So it wasn't a TOTAL bash.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:34 PM
JackJ

End of year compliance buyout. Not worth the 4.5 million in cap space next season.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote