HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Leivo with 1 and 1
Brown with 2A
Sparks 24/27
Biggs 1 G

Biggs goal was likely an empty net goal
Joking aside, nice to see Tyler doing well, yet, some people are still not happy with his progression.
20 goals in first season, what else can you ask for?

Old
02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Joking aside, nice to see Tyler doing well, yet, some people are still not happy with his progression.
30!

Old
02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Impressive thing about Leivo besides the points since moving to Kitchener is he is +7 in 12 games. Also noticed he has put on weight since being drafted, now up to 191lbs.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Impressive thing about Leivo besides the points since moving to Kitchener is he is +7 in 12 games. Also noticed he has put on weight since being drafted, now up to 191lbs.
I hope he is put in a position to succeed when he's in the AHL.

I think the Marlies don't give much opportunity for a rookie to show his skills. How will we ever know if we have a player like Henrique on our team if he is playing on the 4th line on the Marlies.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I hope he is put in a position to succeed when he's in the AHL.

I think the Marlies don't give much opportunity for a rookie to show his skills. How will we ever know if we have a player like Henrique on our team if he is playing on the 4th line on the Marlies.
Think he really has a lot of potential, he's a guy with skill who is not afraid to play in the grey areas. Also he has a lot of sandpaper to his game, he can throw them if he needs to. Left winger that shoots right. Ashton is a right winger that shoots left. Interesting. 6'1 and filling out nicely.

Spott on Leivo : “He’s a power forward that can score, kill penalties and run the power play,” said Spott, whose club is the lowest-scoring team in the OHL’s western conference. “He’s a strong, physical guy.”

Last edited by The Winter Soldier: 02-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 06:31 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Quote:
Think he really has a lot of potential, he's a guy with skill who is not afraid to play in the grey areas. Also he has a lot of sandpaper to his game, he can throw them if he needs to. Left winger that shoots right. Ashton is a right winger that shoots left. Interesting. 6'1 and filling out nicely.

Spott on Leivo : Hes a power forward that can score, kill penalties and run the power play, said Spott, whose club is the lowest-scoring team in the OHLs western conference. Hes a strong, physical guy.
I thought Leivo was a centre, going forward in the pro's is he likely to move to the wing?

Old
02-03-2013, 06:32 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I thought Leivo was a centre, going forward in the pro's is he likely to move to the wing?
has been a winger since drafted IIRC

Old
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Tell you what guys...Considering we had no picks inside 100 prior to a month before the deadline in 2011, this draft is looking like it can be one of our best in a long time in terms of quality and I am not talking about the Matt Stajan draft kind of quality.

Biggs
Percy
Leivo
Nilsson
Sparks

Not a bad promo for the draft/develop/promote campaign. All these players could be big players for Toronto in the near future.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:12 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Tell you what guys...Considering we had no picks inside 100 prior to a month before the deadline in 2011, this draft is looking like it can be one of our best in a long time in terms of quality and I am not talking about the Matt Stajan draft kind of quality.

Biggs
Percy
Leivo
Nilsson
Sparks

Not a bad promo for the draft/develop/promote campaign. All these players could be big players for Toronto in the near future.
I am comfortable with saying the first three look like they have strong chances at becoming NHL players, but that what their roles are destined to be are largely debatable.

But the last two IMO its just way too hard to say, holes in both of their games, and at two positions that are infinitely difficult to project as they move forward. Nilsson coming to small ice is an issue too, against much bigger / tougher guys.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:21 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I am comfortable with saying the first three look like they have strong chances at becoming NHL players, but that what their roles are destined to be are largely debatable.

But the last two IMO its just way too hard to say, holes in both of their games, and at two positions that are infinitely difficult to project as they move forward. Nilsson coming to small ice is an issue too, against much bigger / tougher guys.
That's fair, you don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse. Nilsson needs more exposure in the SEL, will say strictly from the WJHC, he has the poise that will carry him a long way. Some guys get it up here(pointing to my head), he wouldn't be a surprise to me. Sparks is a long range prospect but he's a good one as goaltenders go.

I'm pretty stoked about the 2011 draft, makes up for a poor one in 2010. I'm not as optimistic about that one.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
LeafOfBread

Quote:

Biggs
Percy
Leivo
Nilsson
Sparks

I can see it turning out like our 2006 draft:

Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Ruegsegger
Komarov

All NHL players with the exception of Ruegsegger, and decent ones too.

Tlusty is a disappointment as a first rounder, but he's turned into a decent third liner/lower end 2nd liner who can put up 30-40 pts.

Kulemin was a solid selection, and Reimer is also looking like a decent goalie.

Holzer is great defensively and I can see him being a solid 2nd pairing shut-down guy.

Stalberg is a 20-20 winger with wheels.

and Komarov is looking like a good agitator himself, good fit for the 3rd line.

Not the best players, but still a solid group overall. 2011 reminds me of this but could turn out even better.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:08 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I can see it turning out like our 2006 draft:

Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Ruegsegger
Komarov

All NHL players with the exception of Ruegsegger, and decent ones too.

Tlusty is a disappointment as a first rounder, but he's turned into a decent third liner/lower end 2nd liner who can put up 30-40 pts.

Kulemin was a solid selection, and Reimer is also looking like a decent goalie.

Holzer is great defensively and I can see him being a solid 2nd pairing shut-down guy.

Stalberg is a 20-20 winger with wheels.

and Komarov is looking like a good agitator himself, good fit for the 3rd line.

Not the best players, but still a solid group overall. 2011 reminds me of this but could turn out even better.
You do realize how difficult it is to draft NHL regular players in later rounds dont you? To get an NHL regular, drafted in the later rounds is not common at all. The Leafs could essentially hit on every pick, except one, that almost never happens.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Remember that Biggs is in his final year of junior eligibility, barring an overage year, which is unlikely. Some of his opponents are three years younger. Actually, 20 goals for a first round draft choice forward of his age, at this time of year is not all that impressive. Neither is an overall scoring rate of just under a ppg. It's not bad, given that he is a physical player who brings other things to the game. But it shouldn't wow anybody.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:09 AM
bobermay

Quote:

Biggs
Percy
Leivo
Nilsson
Sparks

And Tony Cameranesi is roughly a PPG in his freshman year in the NCAA, and David Broll has potential to be a 3rd/4th line player.

I'd say, so far, it looks like there may be a decent chance that at least 5 of the 9 players we drafted in 2011 could make the NHL.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Remember that Biggs is in his final year of junior eligibility, barring an overage year, which is unlikely. Some of his opponents are three years younger. Actually, 20 goals for a first round draft choice forward of his age, at this time of year is not all that impressive. Neither is an overall scoring rate of just under a ppg. It's not bad, given that he is a physical player who brings other things to the game. But it shouldn't wow anybody.
I think a big thing with physical power forwards, is that they are good at making room for skilled players, but can't make plays on there own. Lots of young players who put up unexpectedly good totals in the NHL, credit it to having skilled guys who can finish more plays or even make more. Look at a guy like Roberts, so long as he was physical and willing to go to the net, he was able to score at a high rate. I'm not worried about Biggs totals in juniors, just so long as he can skate, has a reasonable skill set and can fight, I'm happy. I mean how many enforcers would be 3rd liners, if they just could handle the puck a bit, or could skate? On the flip side how much more valuable would any skilled NHL player be if he would fight or play physical?

If I were to compare Biggs to any NHL player it would be lowest potential Kyle Clifford, mid potential simmonds, highest Adam deadmarsh.

Again name a handful of enforcers who can skate, shoot and or handle the puck. Biggs might not do any of them phenomenally well, but we know he is at least above average at them all, and significantly better at them then most enforcers.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Although we have yet to get a great player with any of our draft picks, under Morrison we have got many NHLers, not sure, but I would guess above the league average.

Since 2006, when he took over our scouting, we have drafted the following players who appear to be full time NHLers.
2006:
Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Komarov
2007:
Frattin
Gunnarsson
2008:
Schenn
(Hayes)
Hayes may or may not make it.
2009:
Kadri

Other players from these draft years may still make it as well. No home run picks, but at the same time getting NHLers with some of the later picks as he has is still extremely solid. Before he took over as director of amateur scouting, pretty much the only draft picks that amounted to anything were the first rounds, even then not always. When you go 6/7 in 2006 and 2/6 in 2007 (with the earliest pick being 74th overall) it's clear that the scouting is solid. Probably safe to assume that they will continue to get us NHLers. Will be interesting to see who from these more recent drafts it will be

Old
02-04-2013, 01:57 AM
LeafOfBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
You do realize how difficult it is to draft NHL regular players in later rounds dont you? To get an NHL regular, drafted in the later rounds is not common at all. The Leafs could essentially hit on every pick, except one, that almost never happens.
I never said it wasn't difficult. In fact I'm always amazed when I look back at that draft, I've never seen that before. I was just stating though that none of those guys are really all-stars, but not bad players either, just a solid group and a great drafting job overall.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:11 AM
sniper81

Quote:
He does a lot and has a lot of pro qualitites about him, todays (or technically yesterdays) goal he went to the net and put a rebound just under the bar. I think people are wowed at what type of prospect he is, rather than his offensive numbers.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Wow 67Cup I agree with you 100% for maybe the first time ever

Old
02-04-2013, 08:33 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
That's fair, you don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse. Nilsson needs more exposure in the SEL, will say strictly from the WJHC, he has the poise that will carry him a long way. Some guys get it up here(pointing to my head), he wouldn't be a surprise to me. Sparks is a long range prospect but he's a good one as goaltenders go.

I'm pretty stoked about the 2011 draft, makes up for a poor one in 2010. I'm not as optimistic about that one.
OEK played in the same league as Nilsson.

I think the benefit is they are playing against men and not against boys.

Nilsson looked very good against the best boys playing the game at the WJC.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
02-04-2013, 10:13 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I think you may be mixing me up with a different poster. I'm 67Cup but Cup67 is a different person. I had my handle first and asked him to switch, with no luck. I don't think I have ever agreed with that guy either.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That's 67Cup, he's a good poster. Not Cup67, the little troll that stole and ruined his username.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Hey guys go to a few ranger games and was actually supposed to go yesterday (smoked the otters 11-4) but was sick but went on friday and i am really impressed with leivo, he will battle for the puck and when he has the puck he is dangerous. He will also go in front of the net/slot on the pp. When i first saw him live i was surprised how big he was, he doesnt hit too often but he will use his size to get the puck back, only thing im concerned about is his lack of back checking. It will be exciting watching him make a run with Kitchener. Also glad he went to the rangers organization who are very good at producing nhl players (kadri played for the rangers)

Old
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
SprDaVE

Leivo is considered among the best 2-way players in the OHL.

I don't think his back checking should be questioned too much.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Leivo is considered among the best 2-way players in the OHL.

I don't think his back checking should be questioned too much.
I have watched him live 6 times now and he does not back check

Closed Thread