HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
sniper81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That's a little misleading. He's in his first year of junior, sure, but this is his draft +2 year. For a top 30 pick, I wish he'd produce more.
He would produce more on a weaker team. Oshawa is really deep upfront and spread the scoring around, his production is fine for his situation IMO. Laughton is barely over a point per game and he looked great in the NHL.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
He would produce more on a weaker team. Oshawa is really deep upfront and spread the scoring around, his production is fine for his situation IMO. Laughton is barely over a point per game and he looked great in the NHL.
Pretty sure he's played top minutes on a line with Boone Jenner, one of the top players in the OHL.

I would argue that his production would go down on a weaker team, because I think Jenner has elevated Biggs' game.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Pretty sure he's played top minutes on a line with Boone Jenner, one of the top players in the OHL.

I would argue that his production would go down on a weaker team, because I think Jenner has elevated Biggs' game.
Thats your opinion, Biggs produced when Jenner wasn't at world J's. Jenner isn't exaclty a play making centre either, his linemattes are there more or less to open space for him.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Thats your opinion, Biggs produced when Jenner wasn't at world J's. Jenner isn't exaclty a play making centre either, his linemattes are there more or less to open space for him.
I'm assuming you meant when Jenner was at the world juniors. Although that's impossible considering Biggs was also at the world juniors playing for Team USA. But continue to make things up to try and prove a point.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
I'm assuming you meant when Jenner was at the world juniors. Although that's impossible considering Biggs was also at the world juniors playing for Team USA. But continue to make things up to try and prove a point.
I think he meant to say that Biggs produced at the world juniors with out Jenner.

He only had 1 assist then, but I got to say I liked his game.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I think he meant to say that Biggs produced at the world juniors with out Jenner.

He only had 1 assist then, but I got to say I liked his game.
Yeah I also considered that, but one assist is in no way producing. His game was ok, but he wasn't really put in an offensive role to begin with. He did his job and won a gold metal, this will only bode well for him in the future.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
sniper81

Quote:
ya i meant when he was. Team Usa left later than Canada and he played well in those 4 games without Jenner. Sorry if im making things up.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Yeah I also considered that, but one assist is in no way producing. His game was ok, but he wasn't really put in an offensive role to begin with. He did his job and won a gold metal, this will only bode well for him in the future.
He scored the game winner for the U-18 against Canada to win gold and then he follows that up by being one of the better players against Sweden when his U-20 team won gold. He got biggs time clutch potential even do he dont expect him to be a big point producer I at least hope he will be a consistent point producer. Like a bigger version of Brown. That would be awesome.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Destroyer100

Leivo looks good and same with that small high schooler we drafted something like camernesia or something like that he looks good too.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
He scored the game winner for the U-18 against Canada to win gold and then he follows that up by being one of the better players against Sweden when his U-20 team won gold. He got biggs time clutch potential even do he dont expect him to be a big point producer I at least hope he will be a consistent point producer. Like a bigger version of Brown. That would be awesome.
To be honest I think he has Ryan Malone potential. A consistent 40 - 50 point player who can compliment skilled players on the 2nd or 3rd line. It took Malone 5 years to develop into the player he is today, and had barely any offensive ability in the two years after he was drafted. I think Biggs will follow a similar path and begin to really take off offensively next year. The AHL should suit his game really well.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
BertCorbeau
Oh Mr Peeenguin...

Quote:
To be honest I think he has Ryan Malone potential. A consistent 40 - 50 point player who can compliment skilled players on the 2nd or 3rd line. It took Malone 5 years to develop into the player he is today, and had barely any offensive ability in the two years after he was drafted. I think Biggs will follow a similar path and begin to really take off offensively next year. The AHL should suit his game really well.
Definitely no rush to get him to the Leafs, I'd like to see him with the Marlies for 2-3 seasons to try and develop his offensive game

Old
02-08-2013, 05:42 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Korbinian Holzer continues to improve. He's looked better every game and looked pretty good opposite to Phaneuf. Holzer compliments him very well. Does anyone think that if he continues to prove NHL-worthy he could play with Phaneuf and excel? Phaneuf has been a beast on the left side this year but he needs a capable partner!

Old
02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
This is what he meant, in case you didn't see it, he wasn't making things up.

Quote:
ya i meant when he was. Team Usa left later than Canada and he played well in those 4 games without Jenner. Sorry if im making things up.
And FWIW, Biggs had 2 assists, and I believe the second one came in the gold medal game. Idiots at IIHF wrongly awarded to the incorrect player though and they don't go back and fix those things. Rielly was also gipped of an assist.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
67Cup

Nobody can predict with definite confidence how Biggs, or any prospect, will turn out. But Biggs reminds me in some ways of Leafs 1989 draftee Scott Thornton. Like Thornton, Biggs is a good-skating, physical, very similarly sized, defensively responsible but only moderately productive forward. People sometimes think of Thornton as something of a failure because he was drafted third overall. If he had been drafted at #20, like Biggs, he would probably be remembered as a solid pick in year that mostly produced journeymen. (Exceptions include Sundin 1st overall and Nic Lidstrom later in the draft.)

Thornton only broke the 20 goal mark once in his career but he did play 941 games in the NHL, for a number of very good teams. A player who suits up 941 times in the NHL is not a failure, IMO! Unfortunately, only 33 of those games were in a Leafs uniform. He was a long-serving, defensively skilled forward for a lengthy career. If I were told right now that Biggs would have the same career, with more games for the Leafs, I would rest content. If I have to guess, and guessing is what we all are doing, I think Biggs will indeed have that kind of career.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Korbinian Holzer continues to improve. He's looked better every game and looked pretty good opposite to Phaneuf. Holzer compliments him very well. Does anyone think that if he continues to prove NHL-worthy he could play with Phaneuf and excel? Phaneuf has been a beast on the left side this year but he needs a capable partner!
I hope so...nothing against Kotska but I am not a fan of him on the first pairing. Would love for someone, ANYONE, to prove to be a better option to Carlyle.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Percy with a goal and 2 assists , atta boy .

Leivo with 1 A , in the SO now .

Sparks 40/43 ( they could sure use Finn back )

Biggs and Brown both pointless in a 7-4 Erie win .

Blue Chip Prospects ‏@bcphockeyblog
Gosh, Morgan Rielly's skating and breakout passing are both ++. If I had to guess, he's on the Leafs next year

I like this guy , watches a lot of Rielly and other prospects.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Sparks stopped 40/43, hes a legit goalie prospect.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Sparks stopped 40/43, hes a legit goalie prospect.
Never know with goalies so I am really excited to see how this guy turns out. Improved a lot since drafted.

When he was drafted he played 19 games for the Storm that year with 3.64 and 0.890.

Now so far he has started 44 games, 2.58 and 0.918. Improving a lot each year. Hopefully it continues.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:45 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I hope so as well.

I've been a big Holzer fan for a while and have been waiting for him to finally get his shot at the NHL level. He's really running with it right now and I'm excited. I think he could be a meaner Gunnarsson.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Man I wish Finn gets better soon.

02-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Nobody can predict with definite confidence how Biggs, or any prospect, will turn out. But Biggs reminds me in some ways of Leafs 1989 draftee Scott Thornton. Like Thornton, Biggs is a good-skating, physical, very similarly sized, defensively responsible but only moderately productive forward. People sometimes think of Thornton as something of a failure because he was drafted third overall. If he had been drafted at #20, like Biggs, he would probably be remembered as a solid pick in year that mostly produced journeymen. (Exceptions include Sundin 1st overall and Nic Lidstrom later in the draft.)

Thornton only broke the 20 goal mark once in his career but he did play 941 games in the NHL, for a number of very good teams. A player who suits up 941 times in the NHL is not a failure, IMO! Unfortunately, only 33 of those games were in a Leafs uniform. He was a long-serving, defensively skilled forward for a lengthy career. If I were told right now that Biggs would have the same career, with more games for the Leafs, I would rest content. If I have to guess, and guessing is what we all are doing, I think Biggs will indeed have that kind of career.
Bud, change your name... It's kinda confusing... People might think you're the other one. If you know what I mean.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
He's playing on the top line, but even if he wasn't, that's not fantastic reasoning -- as a 19 year old guy, he NEEDS to be that go to guy in junior if you want to say "top 6 forward potential" with a straight face. And not only does Laughton have 38 pts in 34 games, he's also a year younger.

And that's fine, he's still a decent prospect, I just think we could've made better use of that first. But what's done is done so hopefully he pots 30 in the bigs (pun intended) someday

Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Bud, change your name... It's kinda confusing... People might think you're the other one. If you know what I mean.
Yeah, it's frustrating. But I had my handle long before the other guy showed up. Moreover, I was around for the 67Cup. If I close my eyes, I can still see George Armstong hit th empty netter to clinch the cup. He should change.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Yeah, it's frustrating. But I had my handle long before the other guy showed up. Moreover, I was around for the 67Cup. If I close my eyes, I can still see George Armstong hit th empty netter to clinch the cup. He should change.
Holy crap!

YA man I almost congratulated you for the first intellectual post I had ever see n you write. But you aren't the you I was thinking of.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Holy crap!

YA man I almost congratulated you for the first intellectual post I had ever see n you write. But you aren't the you I was thinking of.
It's easy to tell them apart. One uses things like periods, capital letters at the beginning of sentences and words containing more than two syllables. The other.....well you obviously get the picture.

Closed Thread