HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How to follow the NHL while minimizing financial support?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
How to follow the NHL while minimizing financial support?

Some people are willing to stop following the NHL entirely after this lockout, but most of us aren't. However, many would still like to show their displeasure, and the only meaningful way to do this is to hit the league where it hurts: revenue. Let's brainstorm the best ways to follow the NHL when it comes back, without going so far as to stop following NHL hockey.

Here are my ideas, feel free to discuss and add your own:

1) Do not buy tickets to any games for at least 5 years, just watch the games on TV or online

2) Do not buy any NHL merchandise (jerseys, shirts, hats, flags, etc.), unless we're talking used gear or knockoffs. I'm a bit hesitant about this one, though, as it would hurt retailers who have no say in the lockouts

3) Do everything possible to avoid contributing to high advertising rates. As far as I know, these rates are set largely based on Nielsen meters (in a limited number of homes) and surveys, with data from cable TV providers also being used. Basically, if it's a survey, don't admit to watching the NHL. If you have a Nielsen meter, immediately change the channel the moment advertisements start. Do this regardless in case data is collected by the cable companies (do DVRs and digital cable boxes have means of transmitting data on what you've been watching? My guess is yes, but it would be good to know for sure). Alternately, stream games through unofficial sources whenever possible. Basically, if you continue to watch games, do everything possible to avoid actions that will contribute to advertising revenue

Old
12-20-2012, 08:37 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Only watch games at a bar, and nurse your club soda.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

My intent is to simply watch my NHL team on TV, or occasionally at a bar, and that's it. I won't be buying any tickets or anything like that.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:45 PM
MarkhamNHL

move to Phoenix

Old
12-20-2012, 08:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

1) Do not buy tickets to any games for at least 5 years, just watch the games on TV or online
Certainly the #1 way to not contribute. It's a gate driven league, as we all know. Now, in many markets, the tickets are still going to sell out so it won't actually have an effect, but at least it's not your own hard earned cash that is contributing.

Quote:
2) Do not buy any NHL merchandise (jerseys, shirts, hats, flags, etc.), unless we're talking used gear or knockoffs. I'm a bit hesitant about this one, though, as it would hurt retailers who have no say in the lockouts
Not really necessary. To the best of my knowledge from what I've read here over the years, the league/teams are already paid via the royalties paid by the manufacturers. They aren't seeing any money from the sales of goods you buy at your local sporting good store, Walmart, Lid's, etc etc.

Now, they do make money directly off you IF you are buying from
A) A team's official store, that is owned by the team
OR
B) anything bought on shop.nhl.com, which is split between all 30 teams.

So, the answer isn't to not buy NHL products, but to not buy them from team stores or NHL.com

Quote:
3) Do everything possible to avoid contributing to high advertising rates. As far as I know, these rates are set largely based on Nielsen meters (in a limited number of homes) and surveys, with data from cable TV providers also being used. Basically, if it's a survey, don't admit to watching the NHL. If you have a Nielsen meter, immediately change the channel the moment advertisements start. Do this regardless in case data is collected by the cable companies (do DVRs and digital cable boxes have means of transmitting data on what you've been watching? My guess is yes, but it would be good to know for sure). Alternately, stream games through unofficial sources whenever possible. Basically, if you continue to watch games, do everything possible to avoid actions that will contribute to advertising revenue
Not worth the effort to potentially avoid contributing to ratings. 1st, the surveys are basically non-existent at this point. And the amount of people with Nielsen boxes is so slim, like you mention.

If you're paying for cable and watching the games through a stream instead to avoid driving ratings up...I can't even being to explain how stupid that sounds.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:59 PM
tko78

1) Stop buying merchandise.

2) Stop wearing merchandise.

3) Stop going to the NHL and team websites.

4) Support your local junior team instead.

5) If/when the NHL resumes, keep doing all of the above as well as only listen to games on the radio or through pirated internet streams thereby denying the league television ratings.

I've already done 1 - 4 and plan on doing 5 when the time arises. I'm a hockey addict, but it's going to be a long time before I let any of my cash go towards the NHL in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by tko78: 12-20-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

I'd love to have an impact, but lets be honest, in Toronto 1 person would not be noticed and I would just be replaced by another. So I see no need to deprive myself of the game I love, but I fully support people in other markets doing what they can.

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 09:15 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I'd love to have an impact, but lets be honest, in Toronto 1 person would not be noticed, I would just be replaced by another, so I see no need to deprive myself of the game I love, but I fully support people in other markets doing what they can.
And that's the shame of it all. It's only going to hurt in markets that need the help more.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Steve

Regardless of how you go about it, if you watch/take part in the product, you will be supporting it.

They only way to boycott this is to stay clear of their sponsors. It's a horrible/unfair idea but only they can "force" the league and PA to get this crap over with.

ie. Use Budget not Enterprise, drink something other than Molson, If the companies are aware that you are intentionally boycotting due to their support, this will be over with real fast.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko78 View Post
1) Stop buying merchandise.

2) Stop wearing merchandise.

3) Stop going to the NHL and team websites.

4) Support your local junior team instead.

5) If/when the NHL resumes, keep doing all of the above as well as only listen to games on the radio or through pirated internet streams thereby denying the league television ratings.

I've already done 1 - 4 and plan on doing 5 when the time arises. I'm a hockey addict, but it's going to be a long time before I let any of my cash go towards the NHL in any way, shape or form.
I live in Sewell NJ what's my local Junior team?

Old
12-20-2012, 09:45 PM
tko78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I live in Sewell NJ what's my local Junior team?
Rowan University? Philadelphia Revolution?

*edit* Trenton Titans? I'm not from the area, but it seems like there's a lot of decent hockey within an hours drive.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko78 View Post
Rowan University? Philadelphia Revolution?

*edit* Trenton Titans? I'm not from the area, but it seems like there's a lot of decent hockey within an hours drive.
I might as well walk down the street to the local rink and watch the beer leagues. Trenton's a hike but I suppose you debunked my point. Crap hockey is still hockey I guess? I would have no problem watching a CHL game, but I can't be bothered to watch a Division II ice hockey program or a Teir III JR league team.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
tko78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I might as well walk down the street to the local rink and watch the beer leagues. Trenton's a hike but I suppose you debunked my point. Crap hockey is still hockey I guess? I would have no problem watching a CHL game, but I can't be bothered to watch a Division II ice hockey program or a Teir III JR league team.
I know it's a step (or four) down.

People may disagree with me on here, but I'm pissed at the league, more pissed with the owners, slightly less pissed with the players and will be damned if any of the aforementioned parties are going to get any of my money any time soon.

My local junior team (Victoria Royals) are great fun to watch and, when considering bang for buck, are a better deal than attending an overpriced Canucks game anyway.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Elever
Hth

Sadly for all of us who've figured out how to do these things, those idiots with no restraint will just "shut up and take my money" to the NHL when it comes back.

One suggestion not on here....I know some people love Gamecentre but there is a good/cheaper alternative. If you sign up at the beginning of the season then it's $99. The site is called Hockeystreams, I haven't tried it yet but based on the quality it's fairly good, better than the average flash stream since they're private streams. They also have some AHL/CHL/international games on there so that's good. And the other solution to supplement that if you have a good internet connection is to wait for registration to open up on nhltorrents.

I still plan to buy hockey cards but I always get them used or from a site like sportlots or comc. If you buy a game like NHL 14 then get that used from somewhere. Cheap replica NHL jerseys as well.

This league doesn't deserve growth in the near future or people's $.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Not BOH topic.

Closed Thread