HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best goalies since last lockout

View Poll Results: Best goalie since lockout
Lundqvist 148 64.07%
Kiprusoff 47 20.35%
Ward 25 10.82%
Vokoun 18 7.79%
Luongo 67 29.00%
Backstrom 11 4.76%
Miller 46 19.91%
Rinne 39 16.88%
Quick 24 10.39%
Price 23 9.96%
Howard 6 2.60%
Brodeur 58 25.11%
Thomas 74 32.03%
Fleury 11 4.76%
Bryzgalov 4 1.73%
Halak 6 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo has taken his team to game 7 of the SCF...a round that Lundqvist has never even come close to.
Never even been close to that round and OT, game 6 of the conference finals are the same thing? Oh, by the way. Look at the results of the poll. Your guys has less than half as many votes. I think that speaks for itself.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I at least admit my biases. Lundqvist is hands down better than Lundqvist at this point, and besides this past season, the Rangers have been a far inferior team. You'll take that as an insult to your goalie, but it's a compliment to your roster. You think Lundqvist would lose his job to Schneider? I don't.
If Lundqvist were the same age as Luongo? Yes I'm sure of it. And maybe one of the reasons the Canucks have been so good is BECAUSE of Luongo? The first part of the post-lockout era Luongo was on bad teams that were worse than the Rangers.

12-16-2012, 11:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Never even been close to that round and OT, game 6 of the conference finals are the same thing? Oh, by the way. Look at the results of the poll. Your guys has less than half as many votes. I think that speaks for itself.
All this poll means is there are a lot of people who are just plain wrong. It doesn't actually mean anything.

No comments on how Lundqvist choked in 2009 vs. Washington, or in 2012 vs. New Jersey?

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Nope. None necessary either. It was nice chatting with you though. I'm gonna go hang out with the other 100+ morons who know Lundqvist is better; you enjoy being right over here, okay?

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Nope. None necessary either. It was nice chatting with you though. I'm gonna go hang out with the other 100+ morons who know Lundqvist is better; you enjoy being right over here, okay?
Fair enough. Didn't think people would like to admit that "King Henrik" isn't as good as hyped. He had an absolutely amazing season this year, and played on one of the best teams in all of hockey, but his playoff failures need to be noted. His collapse in 2009 blowing a 3-1 series lead in the EQF, and his collapse in the ECF this year where he posted a 0.865SVP in the final 3 games en route to blowing a 2-1 series lead is noted.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Machinehead
Mochonohod

vCash: 50
1.Lundqvist
2.Thomas
3.Miller
4.Brodeur
5.Rinne

HM
Luongo
Ward

I chose those 7.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe switch Luongo and Ward with Rinne and Brodeur cause Ward has a Cup, and Luongo was elite longer than Rinne. But whatever I chose those 7.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Do I really have to come in here, and defend Lundqvist about the ECF to the death again?

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Do I really have to come in here, and defend Lundqvist about the ECF to the death again?
What's there to defend? He lost. And for goalies, losing = choking, regardless how the team in front of him played.

#HFmentality

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:37 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
1.Lundqvist
2.Thomas
3.Miller
4.Brodeur
5.Rinne

HM
Luongo
Ward

I chose those 7.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe switch Luongo and Ward with Rinne and Brodeur cause Ward has a Cup, and Luongo was elite longer than Rinne. But whatever I chose those 7.
Luongo has been better than Miller since the lockout too, and I'd put him up there with Lundqvist to be honest. Lundqvist has a Vezina, Luongo has a Hart nomination, multiple Vezina nominations, and a SCF appearance.

Quote:
Well let's see, the knock on Luongo has been playoffs so how come that doesn't apply to Lundqvist as well?

Old
12-16-2012, 11:38 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
What's there to defend? He lost. And for goalies, losing = choking, regardless how the team in front of him played.

#HFmentality
I'm just waiting for people to mention the team in front of Lundqvist, but somehow have to explain why the same excuse doesn't apply to Luongo who had his entire defense injured in the SCF.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I remember Luongo giving up 3 goals before the first 10 minutes of the game 6 of the 2011 SCF. 2 of which were very let's just say stoppable. A game they had a chance to clinch a Cup win in. Does those goals cost Vancouver the Cup? Probably not. They couldn't do much damage against Thomas. When you can't score that's not on the goalie.

People put too much stock into save percentage, and things like that. I really don't. I hate to bring my goaltender into it, but I'll use Brodeur.

Last season he played one of his best games of the season on St Patricks Day afternoon against the Penguins. He gave up 5 goals, Fleury gave up only 2. Most of the rest of the team did not show up that day, and he gave up 5 goals. He also stopped 3 or 4 breakaways from Crosby, a penalty shot, a bunch of ridiculous saves on shots that changed direction that nobody could even believe. He gave up 5 goals on 40+ shots, and came away with a below 900 save percentage although it was higher than Fleury's that day.

You can't always look at save percentage.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Machinehead
Mochonohod

Quote:
Don't even, you've done plenty. Some people will just never get it

Old
12-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Machinehead
Mochonohod

Quote:
Luongo has been better than Miller since the lockout too, and I'd put him up there with Lundqvist to be honest. Lundqvist has a Vezina, Luongo has a Hart nomination, multiple Vezina nominations, and a SCF appearance.
Perhaps you're right but we Americans tend to have a soft spot for Miller.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Brodeur's play hasn't dropped off as much as you think. In 10/11 the first 41 games the whole team was bad. Hasek in his prime wouldn't have reached a 900 save percentage for that half season on that team. They couldn't even play fundamental defense. It's not that the defensemen sucked, there was no defense being played.
You, sir, are a liar.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
You, sir, are a liar.
No I'm not. How many games did you watch that half season? That team didn't even play FUNDAMENTAL defense for large parts of the game. You're gonna tell me goaltending was the only problem with that team?

Brodeur as well as Hedberg let in their fair share of goals they shouldn't have that half the season, but forget the team didn't have any defense. They didn't even play fundamental textbook defense at all for large portions of those games.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Fair enough. Didn't think people would like to admit that "King Henrik" isn't as good as hyped. He had an absolutely amazing season this year, and played on one of the best teams in all of hockey, but his playoff failures need to be noted. His collapse in 2009 blowing a 3-1 series lead in the EQF, and his collapse in the ECF this year where he posted a 0.865SVP in the final 3 games en route to blowing a 2-1 series lead is noted.
Luongo Blows what, 3-2, 3-3.... 7 goals in an SCF match. Luongo's playoff failures will be noted too. Losing job to Schneider, the 7 goals. Yeah Henke has his blunders but He's been top 3 since this lockout. Everyone has blunders. Poll speaks for itself.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:23 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Luongo Blows what, 3-2, 3-3.... 7 goals in an SCF match. Luongo's playoff failures will be noted too. Losing job to Schneider, the 7 goals. Yeah Henke has his blunders but He's been top 3 since this lockout. Everyone has blunders. Poll speaks for itself.
Agreed. Lundqvist has been the best regular season goalie since the lockout.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Paul4587

Giguere should probably be an option. Since '09 he hasn't been great but before that he was great for Anaheim.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Thomas broke into the league late in the 05/06 season and got a very heavy workload to end that season. Since then, he has one season where he's played under 54 games, and played one season where he played nearly 70.

And yet you include Rinne who has played in only 4 seasons, 3 of which are comparable to Thomas' usual workload, and only last season did he see 70+ games.

And then you have Backstrom, who also only played one 70+ game season, and all the rest were between 41-60 games.

And we're not even getting into how much Thomas has outplayed them. How do you justify that? Is Backstrom's average of 1 more game per season than Thomas that crucial to you in determining who has been a better goalie?
lol, I just wrote in Lundqvist then listed a few in no particular order. The OP was just asking for suggestions to add a poll. I have Luongo ahead of Thomas but am not going to argue against 2 vezinas and a conn smythe at #2.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:53 PM
rdawg1234

1. Lundvquist for consistency, if he continues to lose in the early playoff rounds with this stacked team I may change this.
2. Luongo ALSO for his consistency, he gets blasted for his playoff performances but it's very overrated. Often his team hangs him out to dry, sometimes he has great games too, but people focus on the 2-3 games where he looked terrible. He's not as bad of a playoff goalie as people make him out to be.
3. Brodeur- Amazing up until 2010 or so, he's slowed down alot lately. One of the best goalies ever.
4. Thomas- Would not want him on my team simply because he's getting old as ****, really wish he had a longer career, he came out of the blue in his mid-30's.
5. Ward- underrated a bit because carolina has sucked for a few years now, but he can really be a great goalie.

It's hard to say who's the msot clutch though, I'd probably say Thomas or Brodeur in his prime, even though Luongo's blunders have been the most highlighted, almost all of these goalies on the list have had terrible playoff games.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Luongo is easily top 3 since the lockout.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Machinehead
Mochonohod

They're both up there, it doesn't really matter.

If you're gonna pick on someone why not Marc Andre Fleury? Man he stinks!!

Old
12-17-2012, 07:21 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:

Well let's see, the knock on Luongo has been playoffs so how come that doesn't apply to Lundqvist as well?
Lundqvist has a Hart nomination and 3 vezina nominations(one including the win). So all Luongo has over Hank is a finals appearance, but that is a team not player accomplishment.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2158
Lundqvist
Luongo
Miller

12-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I don't think I've given my top 5 yet.

Lundqvist
Brodeur
Thomas
Luongo
Miller

Brodeur in second is mostly a homer vote for me, but I'll be honest. Had the Devils been eliminated in the first round this year I wouldn't have put him that high. Maybe if they hadn't gotten to the SCF I wouldn't have put him that high. 2 Vezina's, a nomination or Vezina every season from 05/06 to 09/10 minus the year he was injured for most of. A not so hot 10/11, an average 11/12 because he started the season slow, but made an SCF appearance.

Thomas probably deserves to be ahead of him in 2nd place.

Kiprusoff has been fantastic, but has played on a team that hasn't been very successful. Same with Ward(Who does have a Cup, and Conn Smythe) Vokoun, and even Backstrom.