HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Rob Rossi: An inside look at how Lemieux, Pens tried to save NHL season

Old
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Rob Rossi: An inside look at how Lemieux, Pens tried to save NHL season

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...emieux-players

Pittsburgh Tribune takes an inside look at the timing/action of Mario Lemieux and other insiders in trying to end the lockout.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
And you have your next chairman of the board of governors.
I'm not so sure. While he would be a great choice, Burkle tends to keep in the background until called for.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:01 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Since when were the players allowed to speak with the owners privately?
Sid and Mario do what they want.

I'm glad this is happening - the only way we'll see a season is if the players decide to revolt against the Fehrs

AHockeyGameBrokeOut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Agent Pat Brisson seems to be the guy behind the some of this:

Quote:
“Mario does not just do things; he considers everything,” said NHL agent Pat Brisson, a Lemieux friend dating to their days as competitors in the Quebec Major Junior league in the early 1980s.
“We have been talking for a long time about what we can do to get the league back. Mario, myself, we could not sit back and watch without trying something. The timing had to be on our side.”

This French Canadian Connection of Lemieux, Brisson, Robitaille and Bergevin gathered speed, and helped sweep aboard ownership groups in Toronto and Winnipeg, the NHL’s biggest and smallest Canadian markets.
There is no coincidence that the Penguins, Lightning, Maple Leafs and Jets were the four new franchises the NHL sent into a room with players this week in New York.
... Lemieux and Brisson had provided Burkle with a list of names if Bettman asked.
Brisson started leaning his highest profile NHL players, including vocal anti-owner Chicago captain Jonathan Toews. Brisson looked for signals as to who he could count upon.
Crosby and Brisson met last weekend in Los Angeles. On Monday, they flew with Burkle to New York, where they met Lemieux, Penguins general manager Ray Shero, CEO David Morehouse and COO Travis Williams.
Crosby split soon upon arriving to meet with players, including Doan and Toews.

Which other high profile players are represented by Brisson?

Also have to ask if Bettman knew owners were discussing CBA issues with a player, either directly and/or through Brisson.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Agent Pat Brisson seems to be the guy behind the some of this:

Which other high profile players are represented by Brisson?

Also have to ask if Bettman knew owners were discussing CBA issues with a player, either directly and/or through Brisson.

According to wikipedia, these are who he represents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Brisson

Some of the bigger names if people don't want to Click
-Malkin, Tavares, Claude Giroux, Toews, Kopitar, Shane Doan, Martin Brodeur, Alferdsson, Briere, both Sedins and of coarse Crosby.

Most interesting name- soon to be selected, Nate Mackkinnon

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
st5801

Its great that the moderate owners and players are at least trying a different approach, but unfortunately, as long as Fehr and Jacobs are involved, I don't see much happening.

st5801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:56 PM
TOML

So are people supposed to hate the Pens less now? Hey, i don't mind. Certainly Jacobs killing hockey before hannukah affords us to hate the Bruins a bit more instead.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5801 View Post
Its great that the moderate owners and players are at least trying a different approach, but unfortunately, as long as Fehr and Jacobs are involved, I don't see much happening.

As soon as I see an agent as the driving force, or facilitator of the disallowed owner-player contact, I have to question how noble is the cause.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Super Mario is just awesome

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
As soon as I see an agent as the driving force, or facilitator of the disallowed owner-player contact, I have to question how noble is the cause.
Though you're probably right, I don't care if the cause is noble or not, as long as there's people trying to avoid (or rather circumvent) the politics of their respective big guns and actually work on a solution for a very solvable problem.

McLlwain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Though you're probably right, I don't care if the cause is noble or not, as long as there's people trying to avoid (or rather circumvent) the politics of their respective big guns and actually work on a solution for a very solvable problem.

What I meant is that Brisson's motives (and thus where and what is pushed) are probably things that help his raison d'etre. That motive may be more politically motivated than the big guns, who may indeed be most apoltical insofar as they're actually paid to negotiate what the majority of their constituency wants. Circumventing that process usually isn't for the best because there are checks and balances within their hierarchies and structures.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:16 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
What I meant is that Brisson's motives (and thus where and what is pushed) are probably things that help his raison d'etre. That motive may be more politically motivated than the big guns, who may indeed be most apoltical insofar as they're actually paid to negotiate what the majority of their constituency wants. Circumventing that process usually isn't for the best because there are checks and balances within their hierarchies and structures.
True.
But Brisson didn't seem to have trouble gathering a pretty impressive group of owners unhappy with what their big guns negotiate. If everyone (or at least the majority) was still firmly on board and in agreement with how the negotiations go, they could've easily slammed the door in his face at his approach.

Maybe it's not the Union that breaks apart this time around, and he was just the one to put the strings together.
Still not noble, but if it helps ending this mess, I won't blame him for it.

McLlwain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Yeah, because they are the only ones who wanted to end the lockout. All hail Pittsburgh!

12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
True.
But Brisson didn't seem to have trouble gathering a pretty impressive group of owners unhappy with what their big guns negotiate. If everyone (or at least the majority) was still firmly on board and in agreement with how the negotiations go, they could've easily slammed the door in his face at his approach.

Maybe it's not the Union that breaks apart this time around, and he was just the one to put the strings together.
Still not noble, but if it helps ending this mess, I won't blame him for it.
It's unfortunate, if true, that smaller groups controlled by self-interest can hijack or influence the process to a great degree. It may also be that everyone is one of 2-3 groups and there isn't anything approaching a majority that represents either side very well. Ideally, you like to think that there are rational answers to clearly identified problems. When you get smaller factions that don't have as much overlap in position, it may indicate that even the problems being solved aren't clearly agreed upon.

At the same time, Brisson calling on Lemieux to spearhead something at the very least makes me raise an eyebrow in Brisson's direction.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
ScubaSteve*

Lemieux and the Pens were one of the leading causes of the last lockout...

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:58 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Hopefully they ARE breaking the player-owner rule and ideally it will convince other players to contact their owners in secret.

Rules are made to be broken.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:42 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHockeyGameBrokeOut View Post
Hopefully they ARE breaking the player-owner rule and ideally it will convince other players to contact their owners in secret.

Rules are made to be broken.
Once again, it is a unique situation, because Crosby and Mario were teammates. Which isn't the case with most owners/players. Obviously some owners are going to have a better relationship with the players than others for various reasons.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:34 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Once again, it is a unique situation, because Crosby and Mario were teammates. Which isn't the case with most owners/players. Obviously some owners are going to have a better relationship with the players than others for various reasons.
Well, that's just tough for those players then. Better luck next lifetime.

If 30% of the NHL jumped ship and ditched the NHLPA and negotiated with the owners for a season instead, a solution would've been reached months ago.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
I have to question how much belief they have left in Fehr doing the right thing

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
It's funny. There are probably enough owners out there happy with the latest NHLPA proposal, and there are probably enough players happy with the latest NHL proposal. Bettman and Fehr both need to continue to step away, but then their jobs are in jeopardy. It's just funny how much progress is made this time and last time with Daly more involved, and with Saskin/S Fehr more involved. However, Bettman has done a lot for many owners on a financial level. It's a cluster ****, who knows how to fix it...

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:56 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
I would give a little more leeway until details came out. The agents benefit from complexity of the CBA and allowances for circumvention. I don't see much circumvention in Brisson's list. He also doesn't have a high profile history for conflict as far as I can tell. I would be far more suspicious of Walsh or Meehan.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Master Shake

Burkle pretty much blamed Fehr. Would love to see someone accuse him of being anti union

The idea to put players and owners together in the same room was a refreshing idea. Commissioner Bettman should be thanked for proposing it and the Fehrs should be thanked for agreeing to it.
The players came with a strong desire to get back to playing hockey.*They were professional and did a good job of expressing their concerns and listening to ours.
We wanted to move quickly and decisively. We have all spent too much time without any real progress at the expense of our fans, our sponsor and the communities we serve. It was time to make bold moves and get a deal.*Many people think we got over our skis and they are probably right, but we wanted to do everything we could to get back to hockey now. We didn't hold back.
We made substantial movement on our end quickly, but unfortunately that was not met with the same level of movement from the other side. The players asked us to be patient and keep working with them. It's not what they do and they wanted us to know they were committed. We understood and appreciated their situation. We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received. We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.
We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and "non-negotiable" decision — which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we moved at any time in the past months.
I want to thank the players involved for their hard work as we tried to reach a deal.
I hope that going backwards does not prevent a deal.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Burkle pretty much blamed Fehr. Would love to see someone accuse him of being anti union

Has he now? Has Burkle had any direct dealings with Fehr? My understanding is that only players and the deputies met with this group of owners. Furthermore, it was the players who said they wanted their leadership back in the room.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Has he now? Has Burkle had any direct dealings with Fehr? My understanding is that only players and the deputies met with this group of owners. Furthermore, it was the players who said they wanted their leadership back in the room.
That letter above was from Burkle whois a Liberal Democrat pro union guy. He flatout blames Fehr.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-hockey-strike

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
That letter above was from Burkle whois a Liberal Democrat pro union guy. He flatout blames Fehr.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-hockey-strike

You know, I like Burkle. He seems like a good owner, in it for the right things, avoids the limelight, helped to save the Pens franchise, and so on. From that blurb:
We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach. We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and “non-negotiable” decision—which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we moved at any time in the past months.
The way this has been reported over the weekend, after all the reporters had their chance to sum things up, was that those three things were not negotiable separately, and were part of the package. What the owners wanted from the players was a Yes or No to that package. The players, at least from how this was set up in the beginning, weren't supposed to 'negotiate' a CBA but explore ideas and options. When they got to that point, take-it-or-leave-it, they wanted Fehr back in the room. They were told that that would change the dynamic and the owners might not stay for that.

Obviously, we're not going to change each others minds on who was playing whom here, and both sides may have done some of that, but I still don't think asking to get your union head back in charge of the process was unreasonable if you still believe he's your leader. The players in that room clearly did so.