Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brock Trotter

Old
05-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Skidooboy

vCash: 500
Brock Trotter

Who is this guy what are the terms of his "loan" to us? Can he play in the NHL or is he gonna sit in the A for his career? His stats look amazing. Can he be a Jet or does someone else hold his rights still?

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:05 PM
dhfromkw

Phoenix has his rights.

dhfromkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield
AHL trades involving players signed by NHL teams (ie McArdle, Trotter, etc) and "loaning" players to other AHL teams (ie Aliu earlier in the year, although he was later traded to CGY so he stayed with Abbottsford) is basically just transferring the AHL rights to those players for a certain amount of time. In those cases it was for the rest of this season. Winnipeg still holds McArdle/Mannino's.etc rights. Next year if those guys are re-signed and assigned to AHL they head to St. John's again.
From the Prospect thread

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Who is this guy what are the terms of his "loan" to us? Can he play in the NHL or is he gonna sit in the A for his career? His stats look amazing. Can he be a Jet or does someone else hold his rights still?
Here's his HF Player Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brock_trotter

He's not big (but can play gritty) and it sounds like he's offense-only. He's a year older and has the same grade (7.0 D) as another Phoenix prospect, Brett MacLean. I like his clutch play and he clearly has some hands...but I don't know if this is the type of player the Jets have room for on their roster.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:55 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Here's his HF Player Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brock_trotter

He's not big (but can play gritty) and it sounds like he's offense-only. He's a year older and has the same grade (7.0 D) as another Phoenix prospect, Brett MacLean. I like his clutch play and he clearly has some hands...but I don't know if this is the type of player the Jets have room for on their roster.
The Jets basically need everyone to buy into a defensive mindset. Unless he is so skilled with the puck that he can basically trap it in the offensive zone, I don't see him standing on the jets roster.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
The Jets basically need everyone to buy into a defensive mindset. Unless he is so skilled with the puck that he can basically trap it in the offensive zone, I don't see him standing on the jets roster.
He's Phoenix property, his AHL loan has nothing to do with the Jets...he will revert back to PHO (in fact PHO could recall him at any time right now, stealing him from the IceCaps) at the end of the season, he is not, has never been part of the Jets.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:26 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
He's Phoenix property, his AHL loan has nothing to do with the Jets...he will revert back to PHO (in fact PHO could recall him at any time right now, stealing him from the IceCaps) at the end of the season, he is not, has never been part of the Jets.
I know that. There's nothing wrong with pretending that he's our property. There's also nothing saying that they couldn't facilitate a trade if they really liked him.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Tdoe42

Just another guy that Zingger knew about...

We took a chance acquiring him cause when the trade went down Trotter was injured but apparently he was key too Hamilton winning the Calder cup. This team is Stacked now as it appears Scheifele is fitting in well.

I can see Trotter getting signed by us in the future and get his shot at playing with the Jets

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
tbcwpg

Saw him a few times with Hamilton here when they played the Moose, his defensive game is non-existent, which is why he's never cracked the NHL on a semi-permanent basis. He won't get an NHL contract with the Jets, it was one of those moves designed to bulk up the IceCaps for the playoffs.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:41 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Whenever the playoff run ends it will be interesting to see what veteran players are here next year.

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Whenever the playoff run ends it will be interesting to see what veteran players are here next year.
I would guess there be a fair drop.
I'm suspecting 1-3 players will make the jump to the Jets depending on how/who Chevy does/gets from the FA market (most likely Postma, Machecek or Cormier...possibly Kulda later in the year if they deal Hainsey al a Oduya and not replace him with a FA)...
I'm also guessing they loose 1-3 AHL lifers to make room for those coming up...
So as you can see, quite variable but looking at possibly 2-6 players. The big question as what's going to happen with the backlog of competent D.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I didn't know he's from Manitoba.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I would guess there be a fair drop.
I'm suspecting 1-3 players will make the jump to the Jets depending on how/who Chevy does/gets from the FA market (most likely Postma, Machecek or Cormier...possibly Kulda later in the year if they deal Hainsey al a Oduya and not replace him with a FA)...
I'm also guessing they loose 1-3 AHL lifers to make room for those coming up...
So as you can see, quite variable but looking at possibly 2-6 players. The big question as what's going to happen with the backlog of competent D.
No kidding, this is the big question in my mind.

We have so many young prospect D who have gotten contracts, I'm interested to see what happens, especially due to Zingers supposed "want to win" mentality.

Though I'm more in favor of ensuring all our d prospects are getting quality Ice time for development, I don't think a D corps made entirely out of these young guys is going to be a huge recipe for success from a "winning" standpoint. It will sure be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
No kidding, this is the big question in my mind.

We have so many young prospect D who have gotten contracts, I'm interested to see what happens, especially due to Zingers supposed "want to win" mentality.

Though I'm more in favor of ensuring all our d prospects are getting quality Ice time for development, I don't think a D corps made entirely out of these young guys is going to be a huge recipe for success from a "winning" standpoint. It will sure be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
I really think Stomachache can make it next year.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
I really think Stomachache can make it next year.
I love how you're trying to keep this alive.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I love how you're trying to keep this alive.
It never died! Stomachache will always hold a special place in my abdomen.

Honestly I'm chalking Stomachache up on the jets as a given for next year, we'll either have to A) swing a big deal, B)sign someone unexpected or he C) has a terrible camp or gets totally outplayed by another prospect, all of which i think are very unlikely.

He's RFA this year too right? I can't see why wouldn't sign him. Obviously his pace was impossible to keep up(manipulating stats of points per minute of toi, me and a friend established he would have scored north 150 pts if he had first line minutes in an 82 game season ) but he's clearly able to play in this league.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
IceCapsFanNL

What's up with the stomacheache??

Old
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Skidooboy

thanks guys.

I think we(the Jets) should throw an offer sheet at him. Hometown boy good prospect. No stability in Pheonix etc.

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
thanks guys.

I think we(the Jets) should throw an offer sheet at him. Hometown boy good prospect. No stability in Pheonix etc.
I'm not sure Phoenix will even qualify him. He's already 25 and has only played 2 career NHL games (both with Montreal).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
thanks guys.

Wouldn't waste an NHL contract on him. He's like an Alex Giroux. Not good enough to crack an NHL roster but good at the AHL level. Like I said, his defensive game is non-existent.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
What's up with the stomacheache??
sorry to stay OT:

In a post on Machacek, my computer automatically "corrected" SpencerMachcek into Stomachache.

Sam Canadian and myself have been on a relatively fruitless crusade since to refer to Machacek as Stomachache.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
sorry to stay OT:

In a post on Machacek, my computer automatically "corrected" SpencerMachcek into Stomachache.

Sam Canadian and myself have been on a relatively fruitless crusade since to refer to Machacek as Stomachache.
I admire your persistence, if not your goal.

On topic: played 2 games with the Canadiens, before bolting to the KHL, then was re-signed by the Canadiens and shipped off to Phoenix. Sounds like he's done well in the AHL, but unlikely to crack an NHL line-up?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Trotter is one of a thousand career minor leaguers, there is no NHL potential here. Who gives a **** if he is born in Manitoba, a waste of contract for the Jets to get him. He has already been to Europe, will likely head back next season.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 05-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1125
Kind of sounds a lot like Jason Krog. Great in the AHL, just never good enough to take the next jump.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Might he be worth an AHL contract?