HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Minecraft (Part IV) - Home of the Hfboards Minecraft Server

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
vanlander90

vCash: 500
I would like to join. I have read the rules.

Username: vanlander90

Old
01-03-2013, 09:48 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
They added 2 new blocks in the update: Quartz and Redstone. But yes still more blocks would be nice.

And i'm more excited for the hopper block - it takes whatever is on top of it and places it in the chest below it. auto farm collection.
Yes but those pertain to redstone only really. We haven't had an actual new building block in ages. One thing I'm confused with about the hopper is will it pick up blocks dropped in it? The showcase video I saw on the snapshot didn't indicate that.

I gotta say though...smelting netherrack to get nether brick and then making the nether brick blocks is the best addition to the game in a long while. Such a nice block to build with.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Kimi

They pick up blocks you drop on them, and then put them into whatever they're pointed at.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Construction of my latest Pixel Art is under way due south of Latveria. 10 rows up and I have already used ~1600 blocks, only 24400 to go.

Also I have designed a new one as well. Keeping with the superhero theme we have Kitty Pryde of the X-Men.

picture I based it on:

01-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Kimi

I've got the item channel working at witch farm now, and the starts of the fountain. The redstone bit is done but I don't have the tower build yet, I ran out of glass around ground level xD. But it works, items are pushed up to the surface without issue. If you look to the east (the side where gravity happens) there's a cobble pillar, there is the collecting point.

I'll work more on it later.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Anyone know of a mountain biome island? I want to build a little something something in one.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Old
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
virothepyro
#lydia2012

I haven't been on much recently and likely won't be around much for the next few weeks

Old
01-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Sorry to hear that. Feel better and get back soon.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Just got back after being out of town for a while.. see this:

Sweeeeeeet

Old
01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I haven't been on in a long time. My computer died and I'm waiting for some new parts but I'll be back soon...We still using the same map from the summer? None of you guys better have stolen my 6 stacks of diamonds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Also as 1.5 gets closer I haven't heard a lot of people against the idea of a new map. I'd like to bring it up again to make sure people have their say on the matter.

The main reason(s) being discussed for creating a new map are:

- 1.5 will change everything in regards to redstone making most of our builds obsolete.

- Spawn is kind of boring because it was first come first serve and most of those people barely played. On a new map we make spawn a "regulars only" build area so that only established (and new guys who become regulars) can have a community area that is active.

- We could be using a better seed in order to maximize the spawn's chunk unique ability to never unload. Translation: Mega witch/iron farm at spawn.

- The rail is dead, teleports are making the map pretty messy. A new map with a new rail system show keep things tidy.

If this were to take place, we would also NOT be taking stuff with us into the new world like last time. A fresh start for everyone.

So let's talk about this. People aren't logging in much recently, and I think the uncertainty about the map's future has a lot to do with it. If people are just waiting, then lets do it sooner than later. If people are against it and won't be playing on the new map, tell me because the main point of all this is to build it better but its pointless if no one plays.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM

I'd be fine with it. I haven't gone too hardcore into building so I won't lose too much. I'll miss my diamonds and glowstone sure but I can always get more. I haven't been on much recently because I barely see people on. It's not as fun when I'm the only one there.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I haven't been on in a long time. My computer died and I'm waiting for some new parts but I'll be back soon...We still using the same map from the summer? None of you guys better have stolen my 6 stacks of diamonds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didnt even see this till now, I was too busy writing the post below it

Yea still same map, but you can see from the next post that its up in the air.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
I didnt even see this till now, I was too busy writing the post below it

Yea still same map, but you can see from the next post that its up in the air.
I'd still be for starting fresh - but, as I said earlier, as I don't play at the moment, don't weigh my vote too heavily. I'd be more prone to play on a fresh map, although I also have to mention that some time in the near future, I'm likely to have one of my brasileira friends visiting - that would be at least a couple of weeks that I would be guaranteed to not play.

While I'm here... I'll also quickly mention that I'm for the idea of not having too many mods that make the game easier to survive - I realized that being all decked out in diamond and being able to stare down creepers took away a lot of the edge that I enjoyed in the game.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
BoxOfChocolates

vCash: 1150
I would definitely play more/again if we got a new map.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:13 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I'd still be for starting fresh - but, as I said earlier, as I don't play at the moment, don't weigh my vote too heavily. I'd be more prone to play on a fresh map, although I also have to mention that some time in the near future, I'm likely to have one of my brasileira friends visiting - that would be at least a couple of weeks that I would be guaranteed to not play.

While I'm here... I'll also quickly mention that I'm for the idea of not having too many mods that make the game easier to survive - I realized that being all decked out in diamond and being able to stare down creepers took away a lot of the edge that I enjoyed in the game.
It's not so much the mods as it is all the farms, especially the ender farm that makes enchantment too simple.

I'm always sporadic with my play time but I'd be interested in a new map. See if I can actually carry a large building project through to completion this time. This time I want to give myself more open space like KR did, then build from the center out. First map I built my walls before anything else, second I started on a mountain top. Never did quite finish either.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Hawkeye8

Randal, I'm good either way.

I do miss using the rail, so that is one thing I'd love about having a new map. Maybe with a new map I'll just make a massive great wall around spawn.... I would like to have an idea what would happen, if we do choose to go to a new map I'll lay off of my current great wall and just have fun exploring and seeing how many more spawners I can find.

I've also noticed how empty its been lately. I've jumped on so many times to just find no one around.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
It's not so much the mods as it is all the farms, especially the ender farm that makes enchantment too simple.
Haha, I was trying to avoid directly mentioning those, since I know they really are a pet project for some people, I didn't want to step on any toes. Some of the most fun I had on the server was with Pwood and his friend (sorry, can't remember the name off hand) building a massive project and constantly dying at night because they weren't closed in. It was so much more lively and spontaneous. The game kinda feels too clinical and sterile right now. But that's just me, I know others like playing it differently than I do.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Kimi

We had a map. We won. We won a long time ago. Time for a new map so we can win again in different ways!

I've been slacking recently 'cos I've been busy doing WoW stuffs, and partly 'cos I've been slacking for a new map. I'm walking about invincible right now, with more or less infinite resources and I've built everything I want (hurhurhur never finished witch farm 'cos slack ). Would be nice to start over again so I'd have thing to do.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
CNS
A World Alone

New map. I haven't been on in a bit since I was traveling and now I'm back in school but a new map would be so great. I'm ****ing BORED of this current map. You can only re-build your house so many times. Plus, like I said, and Randal said, it would mean we can re-do **** and make it SO SO SO much better. I hate teleports with a passion and that means I can actually get back to making beautiful rail systems. Besides that, the map is just too stupidly big now.

One thing I'll say: with the new map, we absolutely have to limit how far out people can go to start. It's going to be just dumb as **** if we let people explore massive areas of the map. It makes it harder to get to new chunks if there's new stuffs added to the game and plus sometimes those people don't play anymore.

Just make sure I'm the first one on the new map so I can steal all the diamonds/glowstone/clay so Kimi can't have brick.

Also, one of the biggest things would be the ability to have all farms/shops/projects around spawn so we don't have to go all over the map to get to em. And I say we do that instead of having regulars houses there. I'm not gunna go through what Kimi goes through in having every new player run throughout her house when they first get on the server. I already hated that when just two people did it.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
I could care less one way or the other. My main concern is with my pixel art, while having everything all nice and close and tidy is all well and good, I kind of like having the open spaces because I didn't have to worry about blocking peoples houses on the map (other than my own lol).

Old
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I could care less one way or the other. My main concern is with my pixel art, while having everything all nice and close and tidy is all well and good, I kind of like having the open spaces because I didn't have to worry about blocking peoples houses on the map (other than my own lol).
I highly doubt space being an issue. With a new map, you'd see MAYBE 20 people build new houses on the server to start. I'm more than sure you'll have the room to build em again and not be on top of people. I do feel bad if we do because I know how much effort you've put in to collecting wool. I'd be willing to help collect a bunch for you on a new map.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Thanks for the feedback everyone, glad to see so many responses so quickly.

If we were to proceed with a new map, I want this to be THE map for a long time. Many of us have built very time consuming and impressive things on the current server that we would be sad to lose so it is important to know that if we start over we know its for the long haul this time.

Since the current map was started, minecraft has redesigned many significant portions of the code regarding terrain generation and biomes as well as an entirely new map system (anvil) which our map was converted to. With 1.5 a similar massive change will come to redstone. This will simultaneously eliminate old designs while opening the door for many many new ones.

All this should mean a long lifespan for the map as long as we don't make a mess of it by doing a little zoning and keeping the map size reasonable. This could also lead to a much simpler grid-like rail system which would be easier for people to follow - and to build. This is not to discourage people branching out from spawn, only to help organize anything built within it.

This new map can really happen at any time. Even though 1.5 isn't out yet only redstone code is changing so we could still generate the map now, work out zoning and go caving for resources first so that we are ready for the update. If people are for this, we can switch when a suitable seed is found.

Clearly a lot of people still are playing and want to play on this server so let's try to make something that works for everyone so we can actually be online at the same time

Last edited by Randal Graves: 01-14-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Randal Graves
I like Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I don't think it would be a problem, you could do any of:

- Build then randomly around the map (not too far out tho) where they can be seen on map/look good ect.

- Zone out a large flat area of the map away from spawn and make them all there

- Make them in spawn if you think its a good spot - there will likely be a few farms built that could stand to be covered up by something nicer for example.

Either way, you would have space to build and a choice of good places to put them.

Last edited by Randal Graves: 01-14-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Closed Thread