HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

What prospect's are benefiting most from the lockout

Old
12-11-2012, 07:33 AM
tony d
The franchise

vCash: 500
Ryan Strome and Dougie Hamilton

12-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Intense Rage

vCash: 50
I love how another extra year in the AHL/junior/KHL is assumed to be good just because a prospect is now not being "rushed" into the NHL. What if that prospect was ready to make the jump? Then another year outside the NHL contributes much less in the player's development than having actually played in the NHL.

Lets take Yakupov for example how is playing in the KHL actually more beneficial to him than playing in the NHL. I am not saying that there is no growth in him as a player but I would rather have him getting his feet wet in the NHL rather than play in a league overseas.

The truth is that this lockout benefits very few (maybe some of the Isles prospects). The rest of these prospects just missed training camp and chances at being called up and making some impression in the NHL. Not to mention they make far less money in the minor leagues.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:41 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I love how another extra year in the AHL/junior/KHL is assumed to be good just because a prospect is now not being "rushed" into the NHL. What if that prospect was ready to make the jump? Then another year outside the NHL contributes much less in the player's development than having actually played in the NHL.

Lets take Yakupov for example how is playing in the KHL actually more beneficial to him than playing in the NHL. I am not saying that there is no growth in him as a player but I would rather have him getting his feet wet in the NHL rather than play in a league overseas.

The truth is that this lockout benefits very few (maybe some of the Isles prospects). The rest of these prospects just missed training camp and chances at being called up and making some impression in the NHL. Not to mention they make far less money in the minor leagues.
There is a certain amount of truth here. Some teams seem to let their kids develop, others toss them to the lions. Sometimes they slay the lion, sometimes they get eaten. OOps!

This may be the best thing for a number of prospects, but it may hold back a few that should be ready for greater challenges.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post

I'd argue Yakupov is one who benefits most from this lockout. Going from the CHL to the NHL is still a huge leap, so playing on a level between the CHL and NHL makes the jump more gradual. There will be less growing pains when he finally does play in the show.

Players coming over from Europe also greatly benefit from it, because they can get acclimated to a North American style game under less pressure than if they had to go straight to the NHL (looking at players like Granlund, Silfverberg, Brodin, etc.).

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:56 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

I think lockouts have widespread impact on prospect development beyond players not being rushed when they're not ready.

I think that the most important thing that is happening is that players are facing much higher levels of competition in every league right now. Players in the CHL who could've made the jump to the NHL are now playing against other players their age and those other players have the benefit of playing NHL caliber players.

Young players in other countries like Sweden and Finland are playing against NHL players as well. Players like Tomas Hertl are playing against Jagrs, Thorntons, and other good players that they wouldn't have before.

It's a higher level of competition without being thrown into the deep end.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Sevanston

Brandon Saad likely would've been rushed straight to the Hawks were it not for the lockout.

Though technically not prospects anymore, many feel that Nick Leddy and Marcus Kruger were rushed to the Hawks, and are benefitting from extra AHL seasoning.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:21 AM
BeersHockey

Damien Brunner, but from a financial POV, not development. Dude signed a nice-sized one year deal with the Wings, and is now tearing up the Swiss league playing with Zetterberg. If there is no season, the contract will expire and there will be more competition/$$ out there to sign him to a longer term, higher $$ contract (even if he hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet).

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Picaroon

Maybe he isn't really considered a prospect now but I would add Lars Eller. He definitely should have been in the AHL his first year with the Habs but there was a lot of heat on the organization after the Halak trade. He basically has been playing with grinders and on the PK his entire time in Montreal. Now he's getting top line minutes in a men's league and pretty much dominating. I think he will break out once the NHL starts up again.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

I think any Euros that have made the move to North America is really benefiting them... Like Granlund and Silfverberg type guys.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
Maybe he isn't really considered a prospect now but I would add Lars Eller. He definitely should have been in the AHL his first year with the Habs but there was a lot of heat on the organization after the Halak trade. He basically has been playing with grinders and on the PK his entire time in Montreal. Now he's getting top line minutes in a men's league and pretty much dominating. I think he will break out once the NHL starts up again.
Add Louis Leblanc in there as well for the Habs. He missed last year's offseason due to shoulder surgery and then spent the rest of the year being bounced between Hamilton and Montreal's 3rd/4th lines where he barely got any playing time. It'll be good for him to spend the whole year in Hamilton.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Add Louis Leblanc in there as well for the Habs. He missed last year's offseason due to shoulder surgery and then spent the rest of the year being bounced between Hamilton and Montreal's 3rd/4th lines where he barely got any playing time. It'll be good for him to spend the whole year in Hamilton.
It'll definitely help Louis. Probably will get him to the point where he can secure a spot with the big club pretty easily when the NHL starts again.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
First one I thought of is Dougie Hamilton. Doesn't have to stress over making/not-making the Bruins, playing well in his first season, etc. Plus gets to be the number 1 d-man on a loaded Team Canada at the WJC's.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Basically anyone that's been a borderline NHLer at this point, or would be borderline for being an AHLer but gets the benefit of another year in Junior.

League wide it seems like Schultz, Nino, Kadri, and Boychuk are really benefiting with breakout years in the AHL after having questionable impact at best so far in the NHL for the later 3. Schultz could have very well proven to be very good in the NHL this year the way he's playing, but better to be dominant at the AHL level for a year first.

I'd also say (from a Canes specific standpoint) Victor Rask is benefiting. Played well for 10 games with the Checkers and has been PPG+ since being returned to the WHL. Ryan Murphy's also improving defensively even if his offensive output in the OHL started the season poorly. Both will likely get some more great experience in the WJC whereas it's questionable as to whether the Canes org would have granted them the chance to play in the WJC had both (likely) still been on the Canes and/or Checkers rosters.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
It'll definitely help Louis. Probably will get him to the point where he can secure a spot with the big club pretty easily when the NHL starts again.
He's barely played any games due to his injury that he recently came back from. Even if the CBA is done in January, he'll barely have 20 games played this season. It's not enough.

(Although maybe you made that post while assuming the whole year will be cancelled)...

He needs to say down there the whole season, IMO. Last year was just a travesty with how dumb and dumber yo-yo'd him around.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:51 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Add Ryan Johansen to the list. Good to see him put up 18 points in 22 games.

And I think Roman Horak has also benefited as he's gone down and scored a bunch of goals.
I asked the Flames board about Horak as I noticed he hasn't done much over the last 10-15 games. And this is the reply I got

Basically the same thing that happened to him last year after 10-15 games - hit a wall.

Don't know if it's a conditioning issue, or if he's just run out of adrenaline by then.

Seems like he's been over rated because of a great 10 games and hasn't done much consistantly lately.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Granlund returned from injury a couple nights ago, though Brodin will still be out for probably another month or so.

I agree with what you said though, many European prospects making the jump to the AHL benefit from the lockout by having more time to adjust to the NA style of play.
Brodin learned a lesson in North American hockey the hard way. Don't reach for the puck and leave your self defenseless. Protect yourself at all times.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
startainfection

pretty much all the isles prospects that aren't injured

nino strome nelson rienhart are all benefitting tremendously from this lock out

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:05 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Hmmm...Yakupov. Grigorenko...Couturier? Maybe Schiefele too cause I'm pretty sure if the season started on time the Jets would've given him time that in my opinion he wasn't ready for.
I was assuming after signing Jokinen the plan would have been not to bring Schiefele up this year having Little, Jokinen and Burmi as the top 3 centres.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Gotta think that the entire prospect pools of teams like the NYI and Columbus, perhaps even Winnipeg, TB and Montreal, are benefitting greatly from the lockout.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I was assuming after signing Jokinen the plan would have been not to bring Schiefele up this year having Little, Jokinen and Burmi as the top 3 centres.
Have you watched Burmi play lately?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:50 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

With both Ennis and Hodgson hurt, (Along with Myers ) Grigorenko would be called up and put in immediately as our number one center. Talk about a jump...This lockout is helping us tremendously!

But I hope it ends because we only have 1 ball for the lottery and we look to be a bottom dweller this year with all our injuries and rookies at the center position.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:55 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Have you watched Burmi play lately?
No I haven't. Are you writing him off?

Old
12-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's barely played any games due to his injury that he recently came back from. Even if the CBA is done in January, he'll barely have 20 games played this season. It's not enough.

(Although maybe you made that post while assuming the whole year will be cancelled)...

He needs to say down there the whole season, IMO. Last year was just a travesty with how dumb and dumber yo-yo'd him around.
I'm am most definitely assuming the season is canceled. Lol. I have lost faith. If it does start back up in January then yes he should just stay down. I agree he needs a full year in the A. The lockout secures that (obviously). Hated the way he was used last year.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
AmeriHab

Brendan Gallagher. He's almost made the big club last year, he was leading the team in goals although on a weak Hamilton team, but playing in a better AHL than most years. I think it's taken pressure off him from trying to make it as a rookie this year

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
With both Ennis and Hodgson hurt, (Along with Myers ) Grigorenko would be called up and put in immediately as our number one center. Talk about a jump...This lockout is helping us tremendously!

But I hope it ends because we only have 1 ball for the lottery and we look to be a bottom dweller this year with all our injuries and rookies at the center position.
If the lockout ended today, I don't see how we could end up with a pick outside of the top 5. Our roster would absolutely be atrocious.
Vanek-Grigorenko-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Foligno-Hecht?-Gerbe (I mean, we'd need to sign someone)
Ellis-McCormick-Kaleta

Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Sekera
McNabb/Weber-Leopold

And the way this draft class looks right now (ie: loaded with high-end talent, especially at forward), I'd gladly suffer a short season of watching that mess try to compete.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote