HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Ranking the teams top 6

Old
12-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood99 View Post
Fair points but explain to me why the majority of KHL leading scoters are NHL castoffs or guys who never made it (aka journeymen). Are they realty diff from the AHL guys who stay home?
By definition, an NHL castoff would be someone who at least played a few seasons in the NHL. While a large portion of NHL players spent a small portion of time in the AHL, the same cannot be said of AHL players. There aren't many ex NHL players spending time in the AHL. Add in the home grown talent in the KHL and really it isn't close. If both leagues were somewhat equal, which I don't believe is true, the difference that one or two elite players would make on a squad would make a huge difference in any head to head match. Just think of how many tweeners leave the AHL to play in Europe for more money. Do you still think that aside from the 1-3 prospects on an AHL team that there really is much actual great talent in that league?

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
you could enlighten yourself if you learn something about the KHL before make crazy assumptions like AHL vs KHL b s.

If you knew there are league regulations that ensure youngster spots on KHL team for the National Team development, you wouldn't come here posting garbage about team's overall talent levels (?!).

There is no way an AHL farm team could even remotely compete with Ak Bars having Russian NT players and World champions: Barulin (NT Goalie), Morozov , Zaripov, Petrov, Nikulin, Bodrov, Korneyev, Kapanen, Imonnen. Something tells you don't even know half of these guys. And this is not even the best KHL team, hasn't been for like 3 years.

I've seen lots of Marlies AHL hockey over the last few years. It's a selfish league where most players play for themselves to make it to the show. There are loads of goons looking a fight, a big check or anything to stand out. It's cutthroat hockey, but it's not skilled hockey. It can be fun to watch, but the skill level in AHL is really atrocious compared to KHL, especially when you get into the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines.
/thread
This basically nails it. As I have said from the 30+ AHL games I attended and the 50+ KHL games I have attended and the KHL is superior especially when you start comparing the upper tier KHL teams. The difference is not huge when you start going down the table but the mid-upper level KHL teams are superior, far superior.

I think hollywood99 has made a few harsh uninformed comments, but he has at least been open and upfront in admitting he has seen little of the KHL. So cudos to him for not being a little pest and wanting to know more

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Guess we watch different highlights.
Ah well, if you base your opinion on highlights...

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
By definition, an NHL castoff would be someone who at least played a few seasons in the NHL. While a large portion of NHL players spent a small portion of time in the AHL, the same cannot be said of AHL players. There aren't many ex NHL players spending time in the AHL. Add in the home grown talent in the KHL and really it isn't close. If both leagues were somewhat equal, which I don't believe is true, the difference that one or two elite players would make on a squad would make a huge difference in any head to head match. Just think of how many tweeners leave the AHL to play in Europe for more money. Do you still think that aside from the 1-3 prospects on an AHL team that there really is much actual great talent in that league?
Not to mention the many upper tier players from other European nations that go play in the KHL. I think the AHL is a great league but there really is no doubt that the KHL is the top league in the world after the NHL. Guess that makes it number one at the moment!

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Not to mention the many upper tier players from other European nations that go play in the KHL. I think the AHL is a great league but there really is no doubt that the KHL is the top league in the world after the NHL. Guess that makes it number one at the moment!

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:46 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I think it's underrated ya. And the guys who give up there go make more money on places the the K. Again I'm not denying the homegrown talent. This should not come across as anti-Russian, more pro AHL which is underrated

hollywood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:50 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ah well, if you base your opinion on highlights...
Well KHL games don't get broadcasted heavily here... So ya it's the best I can do

Old
12-16-2012, 03:52 AM
cheerupmurray

There is some fantastic players in KHL, the kind of players that is top-six talent in NHL, but either played a game not very well suited for the NA-game and the small rinks or went over to NA too young, ended up in the wrong NHL-organization and gave up the dream, so they went back to Russia and developed into fantastic big ice players.

The salaries in KHL is infinitely higher than the AHL-salaries, itīs naive to believe that the best euros will play in AHL for a bad salary and ride the bus around NA for very long, if they don't get a chance in NHL. A well-functioning KHL is actually the worst thing that could happen to AHL-depth, since itīs a league that draws not the NHL fringe players but also some players that could easily have played in the NHL, and done ok, but chose a fatter paycheck (Afinogenov, Radulov, Grebeshkov et.c.). This of course weakens AHL.

AHL is the league for most of the worlds most promising young talents. Then there is the stars of AHL, the seasoned north-american AHL-veterans of course, but even some of those choses the comfort and the bigger paychecks in Europe when the NHL-dream fades away. Examples: Alexandre Giroux (now KHL), Corey Locke (FEL), Jason Krog (SEL),Nigel Dawes (KHL), Marc-Antoine Pouliot (NLA), Brad Moran (SEL) et.c. (thatīs actually 6 of the top-7 players in scoring in AHL in the 2010-2011-season)

To claim AHL is second best league in the world is to showcase a lack of knowledge.

Back on topic:

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. USA
4. Sweden
5. Finland
6. Czech republic

Last edited by cheerupmurray: 12-16-2012 at 04:17 AM.
cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Right now I don't doubt that at all. I'm sure there are KHL teams that could compete with NHL teams too. You would think my fellow Canadians might have woken up to the fact that there are great hockey players and teams outside of North America after the 72 series, but 40 years later, we still have ethnocentric fans who don't understand reality.

Russia and Canada are the two best hockey nations and most of us respect that and respect each other, but there are always kooks out there that can't see it. Nothing is better than beating Russia because when you beat the best, you are the best. That goes both ways.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Well KHL games don't get broadcasted heavily here... So ya it's the best I can do
Yet, while I'm in NA I can catch like 90% of games. hmm

Old
12-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
I think it's underrated ya. And the guys who give up there go make more money on places the the K. Again I'm not denying the homegrown talent. This should not come across as anti-Russian, more pro AHL which is underrated
Hey man it's cool.

Just use Hfboards as a learning tool. There's no way that anyone here knows everything, so we can share knowledge to learn too.

It's just not nice when new people come here with half assumptions stating them as facts if they don't know for sure. And that is clear very quickly. It comes across as arrogant and insulting to those who DO know what they are talking about.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:40 AM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yet, while I'm in NA I can catch like 90% of games. hmm
Where? I'd like to see more than the YouTube stuff. And I'm happy to learn. No more debate on this because wee basically ruined this threads original topic. That's not a concession, just moving on.