HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Young players who lack vision and hockey IQ

Old
12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Definitely not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Going to have to respectfully strongly disagree with you KnightofBoston. After game 19 last year he was an absolute beast for the Jets and carried us on his back many nights. when he plays with confidence he is a force physically and also very creative with the puck. Blake displayed a high hockey IQ last season for the Jets.
that's good to hear, because with the Bruins his hockey IQ was one of his weakest points, I hadn't got to catch many jets games though so if he improved that's nice to hear. He was always a really great guy and teammate but couldn't put all his tools together in boston

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

I want to put up Ovechkin in this as a middle ager

I'm not sure if its his vision or his IQ, but either way his physical aspects and skill offset a majority of it until recently.

young player : Taylor Hall

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

James Sheppard.
guy is absolutely lost out there in an NHL speed game.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Very shocked to see people mentioning Taylor Hall in this thread.
Agreed. It's like saying "I don't watch this player, but I once heard from their rival's fanbase that he doesn't have good hockey IQ"

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:11 PM
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

Taylor Hall for me

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Taylor Hall for me
So what exactly about Hall makes you or anyone mentioning him say he lacks hockey IQ?

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:30 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Very shocked to see people mentioning Taylor Hall in this thread.
How are people shocked that Hall is being mentioned? Hall's vision and hockey IQ is average. Look at Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, and J.Schultz. These guys have elite vision and hockey IQ. They think before they do something, they know whats going to happen, they know where the puck is going to be 2-3passes ahead of everyone else. Taylor Hall is a very good player but he doesn't think before he does anything. Hall's engine always runs on top gear.I don't think Oiler fans remember how many times Hall has messed up making you go "wut?"

Bottom line is that he's still a beast. But he's not a smart player. Taylor Hall would be a top 5 player in the league with Eberle's brain.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:42 PM
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
How are people shocked that Hall is being mentioned? Hall's vision and hockey IQ is average. Look at Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, and J.Schultz. These guys have elite vision and hockey IQ. They think before they do something, they know whats going to happen, they know where the puck is going to be 2-3passes ahead of everyone else. Taylor Hall is a very good player but he doesn't think before he does anything. Hall's engine always runs on top gear.I don't think Oiler fans remember how many times Hall has messed up making you go "wut?"

Bottom line is that he's still a beast. But he's not a smart player. Taylor Hall would be a top 5 player in the league with Eberle's brain.
This guy gets it. Maybe its more noticeable with the other guys around. I've noticed since Windsor that he has a tendency to get tunnel vision at times.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:

Pretty much. Hall has superb talent, but his hockey smarts don't seem up to par. This seems to stand out even further when you compare him to players who are known for their hockey smarts(RNH being a good example of a young, smart player). He's still a great young player, but it's because of everything else he brings to the table.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:50 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:

That's not exactly a fair measuring stick. That would mean that the majority of the players in the NHL have poor vision. Just because Hall isn't at that level doesn't make him bad. He actually reads the play very well

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:51 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Pretty much. Hall has superb talent, but his hockey smarts don't seem up to par. This seems to stand out even further when you compare him to players who are known for their hockey smarts(RNH being a good example of a young, smart player). He's still a great young player, but it's because of everything else he brings to the table.
Exactly this.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That's not exactly a fair measuring stick. That would mean that the majority of the players in the NHL have poor vision. Just because Hall isn't at that level doesn't make him bad. He actually reads the play very well
It is a fair measuring stick. I never said he had POOR vision. I said he has average vision. Majority of players have average vision and Taylor Hall is one of them.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
It is a fair measuring stick. I never said he had POOR vision. I said he has average vision. Majority of players have average vision and Taylor Hall is one of them.
Sorry have to disagree 100 percent.

You don't drive the play and dominate the game like Taylor hall does by just skating fast and trying hard.

Hall has superb instincts and hockey iq. He knows where the play is going and gets involved in it more times than any other oiler. And don't tell me it's because he skates fast and agressive, paajarvi skates just as fast and he's never involved in the play like Hall is.

I think there's a stigma around here that just because a player is aggressive instead of cerebral it's an indication of poor hockey IQ. Eberle can't anticipate nearly as well as hall yet he gets credit for having hockey IQ? . Hopkins can though.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:22 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

You don't drive the play and dominate the game like Taylor hall does by just skating fast and trying hard.

Hall has superb instincts and hockey iq. He knows where the play is going and gets involved in it more times than any other oiler. And don't tell me it's because he skates fast and agressive, paajarvi skates just as fast and he's never involved in the play like Hall is.

I think there's a stigma around here that just because a player is aggressive instead of cerebral it's an indication of poor hockey IQ. Eberle can't anticipate nearly as well as hall yet he gets credit for having hockey IQ? . Hopkins can though.
Not just by skating fast and trying hard but Taylor Hall has a WILLINGNESS to do anything it takes to score or to make a play something that Mr. Imscaredofmyownshadow Paajarvi wishes he had.

Hall has a will, fire, desire in his eyes that only a few have and thats what sets him into his own elite category. Eberle can't anticipate nearly as well as HALL? Example please? Hall plays with wreckless abandon. He would go through the whole team break his leg his arm and he would still keep going because thats how determined and how much WILL POWER this kid has. Only a few in the league have the same kind of FIRE and WILLINGNESS. This is what seperates Hall from everyone else and what makes him ELITE in his own unique way.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Fire Julien

Erik Karlsson

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

With a description like that, you make it sound like Hall would be a 4th line forward if he didn't have the superb hockey IQ you're claiming. A little bit of hyperbole there, don't you think? Hall has exceptional skills, but nothing about his game suggests, to me, that he's a particularly smart player. Just a very talented one who gives 110%.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Erik Karlsson
Uhhh.... I'm gunna' have to disagree.

Karlsson has a great head on his shoulders. He has excellent anticipation, improved by leaps and bounds defensively this past year, he's always making the right plays on the breakout, he's much improved in picking his pinches, can QB a PP. I mean, his hockey IQ is up there with the best of them.

Last edited by Sojourn: 12-12-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: no
Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Hmm..don't really agree with the mentioning of Taylor Hall. He doesn't have poor IQ, he's not a dumb player, he just has average IQ. When he's playing with exceptionally smart players like Eberle, RNH, and Schultz, it really stands out and maybe that's the reason why he's mentioned here.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:

LOL this is hilarious. I love how you talk about this like you know this as a fact... 2 or 3 passes ahead of everyone else? I highly doubt any hockey player possesses THAT much psychic ability.

I think "hockey IQ" is more of a matter of having the ability to react SUPER quickly to what is going on around you on the ice. Other than that, just being aware of every other player on the ice. After that, I think it's more physical ability that makes a player great.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Taylot Hall i agree has average vision. However I do believe hes not as dumb as some people think.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
LOL this is hilarious. I love how you talk about this like you know this as a fact... 2 or 3 passes ahead of everyone else? I highly doubt any hockey player possesses THAT much psychic ability.

I think "hockey IQ" is more of a matter of having the ability to react SUPER quickly to what is going on around you on the ice. Other than that, just being aware of every other player on the ice. After that, I think it's more physical ability that makes a player great.
I don't think that's the case at all. Players with high hockey IQ's are the ones who can anticipate where the play is headed. Not ones who react to what's going on, and then respond accordingly. You think someone like Lidstrom was always in the right place because he let the opponents dictate where he needed to be?

Old
12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

As much as I hate saying this as a huge Luke Schenn fan, I think he fits the title of the OP like a bill.

I guess same could be said somewhat about JVR as well but I don't think his vision is particularly lacking, he is just average in that regard.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

Yeah, Taylor Hall. It's not that I think he's not a smart player, I think that it's just that he's growing up is all. You can tell from the way he plays that throughout junior he got used to being the bull in the china shop and all the other kids having to watch out for him, not the other way around. In the NHL, he doesn't have that luxury. He has to learn that. Like the biggest, baddest teenage gangster in juvie who turns 19 and gets sent up the river to the adult prison, it takes a few beatdowns to realize the world's full of big, tough guys who have been pounding away on people since he was watching Sesame Street, and he needs to watch his back.

IMHO, anyway.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Is Chris Stewart too old to qualify?
Because, if not, this thread was nearly tailor-made for his inclusion.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
As much as I hate saying this as a huge Luke Schenn fan, I think he fits the title of the OP like a bill.

I guess same could be said somewhat about JVR as well but I don't think his vision is particularly lacking, he is just average in that regard.
Agree. Both JVR and Luke Schenn probably fit this thread.

For Schenn, it's probably more average hockey IQ and poor foot speed that compound it to make it look worse.

JVR just can't piece together skills the right way. It's like one game he falls in love with a move (typically fast up the edge, dip under defender, drive net), then does it until other teams adjust. If he had the sense to mix his array of skills.... watch out. He won both the fastest skater and hardest shot competitions at the Flyers internal competition and the fans instantly said "what? His shot is that hard? he's faster than Giroux/Briere?"

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote