HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Chimera: Bettman bent on ruining game

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 05:51 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Chimera: Bettman bent on ruining game

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...t-ruining-game

Quote:
“He [Bettman] seems to be bent on ruining the game. If that’s what he’s out to do he’s sure doing a good job of it. It’s disappointing. We’re willing to get a deal done and try to sit down and talk with no pre-conditions and they don’t want to talk.
“If they set agendas, we’re done. We’ve got to start talking. We’re still not that far apart. It’s just a matter of getting it done. We want to sit down and they don’t want to meet at this point.”
“We were close,” Chimera said. “I talked to Ron [Burkle] directly and he said when you put [Bettman and Fehr] in a room it’s a deal breaker. We can get the sides close but we’re not the ones who put together the documents on a new CBA. We don’t have the skills to do that.
“We tried to get them close and let them hammer out a deal. For whatever reason, they’re bent on making Don Fehr the big enemy. I don’t know if that’s Gary Bettman’s doing. I don’t know if he feels intimidated that he’s kind of met his match maybe because [Fehr] is as smart a guy as he is.
“I don’t know if he’s just [ticked] off and he has a personal vendetta against him. If you have a personal vendetta you’re ruining a lot of people’s lives and not just us.”

Definitely seems to be a war of egos.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
I like how he implicates Burkle in this.

I wonder if Burkle will make a statement because I know I would

Old
12-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

I would think Burkles' comments ended after deal breaker - the rest sounds like Chimera

Old
12-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Fishhead

It just sounds stupid when a player says Bettman is out to ruin the game, when the hard facts are that players salaries have grown more than most, if not all, major sports during his tenure. What Chimera should have said was "Bettman is trying to ruin our salaries". I would have respected that a lot more. Hell, I would even agree with him.

The NHLPA (or whatever it's going to be called soon) plays the blame game all the time. I've found that the kind of people that always blame others are the ones that lack the ability to take responsibility for their own issues. Case in point, Chimera whined about how players should show 'a level of respect' when he was creamed by Belanger, and then showed absolutely none of that level of respect when he drilled McQuaid.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

He's not biased at all.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Conflicted Habs fan
Grind Grind Grind

vCash: 300
Good article. It just goes to show to what extent Bettman has been doing all along. Bringing the whole business down because its not going "his" way. All in all behind the machinery of negotiations is a small egostical man with a chip on his slender shoulders. Fehr understands what Bettman is doing and is responding the only way he can, by not giving in, being patient, and exposing the players to the process. In Canada we see an ad that reflects what many Canadians feel, that although Bettman has locked out our game, he will never take our game away.

Old
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Good article. It just goes to show to what extent Bettman has been doing all along. Bringing the whole business down because its not going "his" way. All in all behind the machinery of negotiations is a small egostical man with a chip on his slender shoulders. Fehr understands what Bettman is doing and is responding the only way he can, by not giving in, being patient, and exposing the players to the process. In Canada we see an ad that reflects what many Canadians feel, that although Bettman has locked out our game, he will never take our game away.
Exactly.

He imposed a lockout because he "felt" that the players receiving 74% of league revenues were too high, and now we have another lockout because he "feels" that 57% is too high.

Madness.

If he could only be like other sports commissioners who realize that caving in to player's demands is the key to mutual harmonic satisfaction, we'd be watching hockey in cities and towns all across Canada and in some parts of the US...

Old
12-21-2012, 06:53 PM
WingedWheel1987

It's a ridiculous accusation with absolutely zero truth behind it.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:01 PM
DreamBeaut

Yeah, the guy who has led massive growth in the average player salary and league revenues is doing a horrible job and hellbent on ruining the game.

Boo ****ing hoo scrub.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:05 PM
McXLNC97

If the season is cancelled, i hope the lockout continues long enough so i don't have to see these 3rd and 4th line scrubs like Chimera, Malhotra, etc put on an NHL jersey again

Old
12-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Lacaar

I almost wish that Bettman retired, got fired etc. just to see what would happen when the next commissioner comes in and does what the owners ask.

That Bill Daly is ruining our game by reducing our percentage!

It's pretty much "Insert Comimssioner here" is ruining our game by not giving us what we want!

Old
12-21-2012, 07:16 PM
KingsFan7824

If the players hate Bettman so much, and have since 04-05, why have the players continued to sign contracts to play in a league headed by a man they despise, while taking the dirty money of NHL owners, whom the players don't trust? Go play in other leagues when your contract is up, and show how much the NHL needs you, and not how much you need the NHL.

If the players had been doing that for the last 7 years, they probably get everything they want on a silver platter. Hell, a gold platter. They would have the owners, and Bettman, begging them to come back.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:26 PM
McXLNC97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
If the players hate Bettman so much, and have since 04-05, why have the players continued to sign contracts to play in a league headed by a man they despise, while taking the dirty money of NHL owners, whom the players don't trust? Go play in other leagues when your contract is up, and show how much the NHL needs you, and not how much you need the NHL.

If the players had been doing that for the last 7 years, they probably get everything they want on a silver platter. Hell, a gold platter. They would have the owners, and Bettman, begging them to come back.
Funny how they hate the guy so much, yet are so eager to accept the Stanley Cup from him.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Pepper

Overpaid players like Brouwer and Chimera whining about Bettman ruining the game is just priceless.

They don't care about the game, they are fighting for their grossly overpaid contracts. They could be replaced in a nanosecond without anyone missing them.

I hope Bettman holds the ground and let the PA dissolve the union. They should broadcast the contract negotiations between Brouwer and some european team offering 150K per year, that would be must-see-tv.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
He's not biased at all.
Everybody is biased.

So what?

Old
12-21-2012, 07:52 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Funny how they hate the guy so much, yet are so eager to accept the Stanley Cup from him.

Simpler times I guess.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Stickmata

The players rants are hilarious. Just because the owners won't agree to their demands, they kick and scream like little kids who's mommy won't let them play Xbox. As if we should all be incredulous that the owners don't just want to cave in and throw millions of dollars at the players.

By the way, how low is the media having to scrape to get quotes if they're talking to Jason Chimera? Was Aaron Asham busy?

Old
12-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I almost wish that Bettman retired, got fired etc. just to see what would happen when the next commissioner comes in and does what the owners ask.

That Bill Daly is ruining our game by reducing our percentage!

It's pretty much "Insert Comimssioner here" is ruining our game by not giving us what we want!
When it comes to league growth over the past 20 years: It's all Bettman; he's the genius behind every good decision made ever. He's the sole reason the league grew it all.

When it comes to failed southern expansion and lockout after lockout: It's not is fault. He's just a messenger and only does what the owners tell him to do. Any other commissioner would be exactly the same

I think this board is seriously trying to perfect the idea of cognitive dissonance.

But to address the article for a moment, Bettman's been absolutely terrible. If people weren't so biased against the PA, and didn't subscribe to a black and white ideology where if one side is bad, then the other side must be good, they'd admit it too.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:06 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
When it comes to league growth over the past 20 years: It's all Bettman; he's the genius behind every good decision made ever. He's the sole reason the league grew it all.

When it comes to failed southern expansion and lockout after lockout: It's not is fault. He's just a messenger and only does what the owners tell him to do. Any other commissioner would be exactly the same

I think this board is seriously trying to perfect the idea of cognitive dissonance.

But to address the article for a moment, Bettman's been absolutely terrible. If people weren't so biased against the PA, and didn't subscribe to a black and white ideology where if one side is bad, then the other side must be good, they'd admit it too.
The NHL's last comprehensive offer would see nhl players earn a greater share of league revenue than any of the other 3 major north american sports.

Now tell me which side is being unreasonable: Bettman and his owners or Fehr and his sheep...I mean players?

Old
12-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Please explain to us, just exactly how much money PA has lost because Bettman wanted to expand to 30 teams?

So the question is, does the PA want to see more jobs or better pay for those playing in a smaller league? I'd bet Troy Brouwer would to see to former, otherwise he would be playing for 100-200k in Europe or AHL instead of making millions in the NHL.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
The NHL's last comprehensive offer would see nhl players earn a greater share of league revenue than any of the other 3 major north american sports.

Now tell me which side is being unreasonable: Bettman and his owners or Fehr and his sheep...I mean players?
Hockey is a niche sport.

Comparing it other leagues is like comparing an antique shop to IKEA.

While the NHL doesn't garner the interest of the general populace, it caters to a hardcore group of dedicated fans.

Therefore the educated and knowledgable employee of the antique store deserves to be paid more than an IKEA employee, even if it means driving the antique store out of business.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Yes, a deal isn't done because Bettman is intimidated by how smart Fehr is. Not at all because NHLPA peppers their proposal with poison pills (guaranteed $67.5M cap, cap on escrow).

Good to see Hainsey is doing a good job 'informing' the players though.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:31 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Hockey is a niche sport.

Comparing it other leagues is like comparing an antique shop to IKEA.

While the NHL doesn't garner the interest of the general populace, it caters to a hardcore group of dedicated fans.

Therefore the educated and knowledgable employee of the antique store deserves to be paid more than an IKEA employee, even if it means driving the antique store out of business.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Hawker14

Without the 90's expansion, Chimera may never have made the NHL, yet alone make the kind of money he has.

He should probably be kissing Gary's feet. Or at the least, grudgingly respecting the guy.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
I wonder if, at some point, a player would refuse to shake his hand when they go to get the cup. It would look classless on the player but Gary would look like a moron, it would speak volumes for the PA but could be horrid for the PR department of that player.

We'll see how the fans react next time he walks onto the ice.

As for the article, I can't stand Bettman but I don't believe he's trying to ruin the league. I believe, however, it's suffering terribly due to his tactics for CBA discussions - lockout first approach. If the NHL is "intimidated" by Fehr or whatever it is, then keep those 2 out the room. Throw a few player agents and Steve Fehr in there and get it done.

Closed Thread